The Next Food Network Star

Sunday 9:00 PM on Food Network Premiered Jun 05, 2005 Between Seasons

layle1

The Next Food Network Star Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

7.2
  • What an incredible ending!!!

I was so pleased with the ending. Both Amy and Rory are great cooks and know their stuff. I just felt that Amy was more down to earth and deserved a show.

I know that it didn't seem fair since she wasn't the original choice for the final two. But I was so glad that Jag took himself out of the running. That was a smart choice on his part. I think they really didn't know who to choose between Jag and Amy - it was so close. So, bringing Amy back to be in the final two wasn't really an injustice. She deserved to be there. I can't wait to watch her show and see her grow. If I'm ever near Vega, TX, I will definitely stop by and eat at Rory's restaurant. It looked awesome. It will keep her busy. I thought she had enough going on without adding a network show to it. She will go far.
  • Who can be the next Bobby Flay or Emerill Lagasse so to speak. That's what this show is about, though in reality TV forum. Each week someone get's the perverbial "boot" and is asked to leave. As with all reality tv shows alliances, backstabbing, etc.

Each week we have someone from the Food Network pose a challenge, & each week they come to the chopping block to be sent home. We have a vegetarian who seems as saccharine as sugar, though she does a under-handed move at the supermarket to Paul, or our resident military man,or is he? Best yet is the last episode!!! Emerill Lagasse is there to announce the winner. Instead of coming out and shaking hands with both, he walked right up to the winner on live television, shook her hand and said "congratulations". That is unintentionally funny at it's best!
  • Liked the old format better. Love Top Chef but I don't think it was wise to copy. The Next Food Network Star had its own appeal.

With this new format, the Food Network has lost some of its integrity. The old stars and the judges are coming across badly. (And I mean not nice or happy to be there.) There has been no grooming of the incoming talent. (That the viewers have seen.) The group has had very little appeal. They all seem to be shaken and off balance. It appears the Food Network is not one big happy family anymore. The show is all stress and no joy. I'm voting for Amy. She seems to have the best presence and talent.
  • I enjoy watching most of the candidates. And having one different judge every week is nice.

6.8
    This is a good show. I don't understand why Sue Fogelson is a judge. I suppose it doesn't matter that I've never seen her cook, and she has no personality. However, I enjoy the show mostly even though there has to be a Simon on every show I guess. I can't imagine I would ever watch a show if Rory were to win. I really like Amy and I could see myself watching a show she were to host.
  • an ok summer show...

This show has contestants that compete to become the next food network star. They all want to have their own food network show. They go through food-related challenges and get eliminated every episode. The show is overall entertaining. It's just like all of the other competition shows: American Idol, America's Next Top model, and all of the shows like them. It's pretty unorigonal, but still interesting. The challenges and judges are very entertaining and interesting also. Overall, it's a good summer fix but it can't compete against the regular year shows. The good thing is that we get a new food network host and show out of it. Guy won last year and he was really good and I can't wait to see who wins this year.
  • Well, maybe not a guilty pleasure, but more fun than I expected it to be.

As a rule, I detest reality TV. It seems to have as its sole objective either pitting people against each other or making people behave like fools, always in a preposterously forced situation. It's a mindless, moronic form of entertainment, an opiate for the masses. The one and only notable exception has been Queer Eye, which at least has a heart and some very good intentions.

But I must confess, I've found a second exception in the third season of The Next Food Network Star. I blame my nephew. And maybe Guy Fieri. But somehow, I'm hooked. And I must confess, it has a lot going for it, including the participation of Duff Goldman, Guy Fieri, Robert Irvine and Alton Brown, all of whom outweigh its three main demerits: the stiff-as-a-board Susie Fogelson (lighten up, woman!), Giada's over-exposed girls, and the participation of Bobby Flay in any capacity.

The contestants are a nice mix of personalities and aside from the phoney Nikki and the obnoxious Jag, a likeable group, with Tommy and Paul best in small doses. One strength: the show is blessedly free of the usual sniping and back-biting that is generally the substance of a reality show. Oh, there's a bit of witchy talk, and the occasional conflict, but no more than we would expect in a high-stress, high stakes situation such as this. And at the end of the day, they go home and await the outcome of the latest round as a team.
    But the fun really comes from the guest judges and the challenges they present: Duff's wedding cakes, Robert's catering for 100, Paula's home cookin' at Ft. Dix and soon, Alton with the camera. Its these that lift this show above the ordinary, using the individuality of the Food Network's ensemble. I could do with a bit less Giada, but hey, can't win 'em all.

But the burning question remains: do they have a Food Network Star among the contestants? I'm not so sure, especially now there are only five left. We've got some great cooks, some winning personalities, but do they have the one with the combination to strike lightning in a bottle? That remains to be seen.
  • Someone's in the kitchen with....Survivor?

The television food network attempts to join the ranks of "Reality" programming. But wouldn't all cooking show's be real programming? I'll sit and ponder that one for awhile.

I watched the first offering of this short competition series. The tasks that the contestants were asked to perform were mostly interesting, if not entertaining.

The perplexing part of this show is the judges. I know they're some sort of big kahunas at the network, but do they really know what America wants to watch? They've lost some of their best talent and focused on what they think is glitz. And that glitz is starting to border on Schlock.
    I was never able to figure out just how they made their decisions, it must have been based on personality clashes and meshes that we viewers never got to see. It's almost as if they're wearing blindfolds and pinning the tail on the loser of the hour.

The winners of the first competition, IMHO, should have been voted off near the beginning of the series. They were completely lacking in personality and didn't offer anything interesting or fresh to viewers. I've caught some of their series and it isn't any better.
    There was a lady in the competition whom the 'celebrity' judge seemed to be pushing for throughout the competition. She was plucky and delightful and had a very excellent idea for a series. In fact, I've recently come across a new show on foodtv that is exactly what this woman had designed for her series during the competition, except it's with a different cook (one who has the personality of mildew). But I digress.

At the start of the 2nd competition I knew not to expect much at all since they had the same lame judges except this time they were joined by pseudo-celebrity chef Bobby Flay. He owns a couple eateries in New York, but owning eateries does not make you a good judge of cooking, otherwise Burger King and Ronald McDonald would be the only reasonable judges to have on board.

Once again, the judges systematically got rid of most of the strong competitors. And just like the first time around, they whittled them down to one of the stronger competitors and one of the weakest. There's no anticipation as to who is going to taste victory.

I do enjoy the other foodtv celebs they have on the show, giving the contestants pointers, except for maybe Dave Leiberman and Alton Brown, they weren't much help at all, unless being condescending is their twisted idea of instruction. (check out the faces Dave Leiberman makes at the contestants during the cupcake battle, it's pathetic!).

Should they decide to hold a 3rd competition, perhaps they'll get it right, but I probably won't be watching to find out.

• Wannabe tv chefs compete for a show on the Food Network.

This is one reality show I don't mind having a second helping of.

As someone who likes to cook and who, sometimes, pretends to be cooking in front of a live audience as she prepares dinner, I can totally relate to the contestants desire to show their stuff on the small screen.

Right off the bat, I didn't like a couple of the contestants and found myself actually chanting "send her home, send her home." Carissa drove me nuts with the way she said the same few phrases over and over. Yvette's "sofrito" obsession made me actually lose interest in Latino food.

I am happy to see that my first choice, Guy, is still in the running. There is something about him that would make me watch his show. He's fast-talking, funny, knowledgeable, sincere and lives outside the box. He's not like any other host on the Food Network and any man who can make a cupcake look like a double-decker cheeseburger has my vote.

I hope the Food Network keeps bringing us interesting shows like this one.
  • I liked the 1st season, so I've come back for more.

The challanges are interesting and well done. I find it facinating to see the "inner workings" of producing a show.

This group of contestants seems interesting and up to the challange.

Of the three FOOD challange shows, Hells Kitchen, Top Chef, and Next Food Network Star, IMHO because this show has a specific achivable visable goal (fame & fortune), it is the most watchable of the three on a sustained basis.
1 2 >