The Next Food Network Star

Sunday 9:00 PM on Food Network Premiered Jun 05, 2005 In Season

layle1

The Next Food Network Star Fan Reviews (77)

• Sarah needs to be gone!!!!!!!!!

At one time I used to love watching Food Network. But the more I watch it, the more I notice subtle acts of racist behaviors. These judges are so phony and are judging without any expertise. The last show proves this by not eliminating Sarah. How can you all let this inexperienced contestant survive one more episode. You all had stated in previous competitions that the girl can not cook. Not only that, she does not deliver well on any of the challenges. Chris has cooked better food and has done better on a lot more of the challenges than Sarah has... This decision was straight up bull and you know it was not fair. It was just another attempt to keep the black man down and keep us from getting ahead. I know damn well Chris deserved another chance because that fake ass Sarah is just scathing by on each episode. I see Paula Deen is not the only one on the network with these inferior attitudes about African-Americans...
  • Love these cooking shows!

Really good show as it is very addicting. And that it is trying to find the next Food Network star. It is a tamer version of Top Chef and that it tries to be like that. Though it isn't like Top Chef and it is a good show both of them. They try to find stars with good cooking, charisma, personality, and working well with others. A lot of people became stars on here and that it is neat to see who will be the next star of their own show. Shows you they have to go through a lot and put up with a lot.
  • What an incredible ending!!!

I was so pleased with the ending. Both Amy and Rory are great cooks and know their stuff. I just felt that Amy was more down to earth and deserved a show.

I know that it didn't seem fair since she wasn't the original choice for the final two. But I was so glad that Jag took himself out of the running. That was a smart choice on his part. I think they really didn't know who to choose between Jag and Amy - it was so close. So, bringing Amy back to be in the final two wasn't really an injustice. She deserved to be there. I can't wait to watch her show and see her grow. If I'm ever near Vega, TX, I will definitely stop by and eat at Rory's restaurant. It looked awesome. It will keep her busy. I thought she had enough going on without adding a network show to it. She will go far.
  • A great show where ppl cook against eachother to get a show on the Food Network.

I really enjoy this show, i pretty much love every show on food network. Even though i wanted Shane to win, it is still intence. At this point, its gonna be close, although, 1 thing is sure, lisa will not win, i dont know how she made it this far into the competition. She was terrible with the demonstration with Reachel Rae, she completely failed. The pressure is on for evry contestant. My personal opinion is that they r having too many new shows on the food network, some of the new shows suck, but hopefully the winner willl have a great show!
  • Who can be the next Bobby Flay or Emerill Lagasse so to speak. That's what this show is about, though in reality TV forum. Each week someone get's the perverbial "boot" and is asked to leave. As with all reality tv shows alliances, backstabbing, etc.

Each week we have someone from the Food Network pose a challenge, & each week they come to the chopping block to be sent home. We have a vegetarian who seems as saccharine as sugar, though she does a under-handed move at the supermarket to Paul, or our resident military man,or is he? Best yet is the last episode!!! Emerill Lagasse is there to announce the winner. Instead of coming out and shaking hands with both, he walked right up to the winner on live television, shook her hand and said "congratulations". That is unintentionally funny at it's best!
  • What are we really selling here? Food or sex?

I have to say I agree with the other viewers who are disgusted with Giada and her choice of dress. I agree professionalism includes choice of dress. I am a teacher and how would I look dressing this way on the job? Is it me or does it seem she flirts with the contestants? Also unprofessional....

Please do not let Giadas dress deter you from watching this show/network. It is GOOD STUFF.

What I really got on this comment section for was to talk about the finalists and how each is deserving. But that Eddie
  • Jealous of Giada, much?

I enjoy watching the show, and Giada is one of my favorite Food Network stars. I believe in tasteful dressing for women, as to not portray a negative light on women or draw inappropriate attention. Giada has only worn two dresses that I found a bit too much, and in every other scene she has just been beautiful and well dressed. I feel like the show seems staged lately, though...
  • Giada, put the boobs away

Love the show but not warching next season if Giadas boobs are in the way. It's about the food people!
  • super cool program and great comments from the judges

Can someone tell me how I can get into this competition. Thank you
  • an ok summer show...

This show has contestants that compete to become the next food network star. They all want to have their own food network show. They go through food-related challenges and get eliminated every episode. The show is overall entertaining. It's just like all of the other competition shows: American Idol, America's Next Top model, and all of the shows like them. It's pretty unorigonal, but still interesting. The challenges and judges are very entertaining and interesting also. Overall, it's a good summer fix but it can't compete against the regular year shows. The good thing is that we get a new food network host and show out of it. Guy won last year and he was really good and I can't wait to see who wins this year.
  • Well, maybe not a guilty pleasure, but more fun than I expected it to be.

As a rule, I detest reality TV. It seems to have as its sole objective either pitting people against each other or making people behave like fools, always in a preposterously forced situation. It's a mindless, moronic form of entertainment, an opiate for the masses. The one and only notable exception has been Queer Eye, which at least has a heart and some very good intentions.

But I must confess, I've found a second exception in the third season of The Next Food Network Star. I blame my nephew. And maybe Guy Fieri. But somehow, I'm hooked. And I must confess, it has a lot going for it, including the participation of Duff Goldman, Guy Fieri, Robert Irvine and Alton Brown, all of whom outweigh its three main demerits: the stiff-as-a-board Susie Fogelson (lighten up, woman!), Giada's over-exposed girls, and the participation of Bobby Flay in any capacity.

The contestants are a nice mix of personalities and aside from the phoney Nikki and the obnoxious Jag, a likeable group, with Tommy and Paul best in small doses. One strength: the show is blessedly free of the usual sniping and back-biting that is generally the substance of a reality show. Oh, there's a bit of witchy talk, and the occasional conflict, but no more than we would expect in a high-stress, high stakes situation such as this. And at the end of the day, they go home and await the outcome of the latest round as a team.
    But the fun really comes from the guest judges and the challenges they present: Duff's wedding cakes, Robert's catering for 100, Paula's home cookin' at Ft. Dix and soon, Alton with the camera. Its these that lift this show above the ordinary, using the individuality of the Food Network's ensemble. I could do with a bit less Giada, but hey, can't win 'em all.

But the burning question remains: do they have a Food Network Star among the contestants? I'm not so sure, especially now there are only five left. We've got some great cooks, some winning personalities, but do they have the one with the combination to strike lightning in a bottle? That remains to be seen.
  • I liked the 1st season, so I've come back for more.

The challanges are interesting and well done. I find it facinating to see the "inner workings" of producing a show.

This group of contestants seems interesting and up to the challange.

Of the three FOOD challange shows, Hells Kitchen, Top Chef, and Next Food Network Star, IMHO because this show has a specific achivable visable goal (fame & fortune), it is the most watchable of the three on a sustained basis.
  • Enough of Giada

Tired of Giada's boobs. Will not watch next season if it is all about Giada's cleavage.
  • Wannabe tv chefs compete for a show on the Food Network.

This is one reality show I don't mind having a second helping of.

As someone who likes to cook and who, sometimes, pretends to be cooking in front of a live audience as she prepares dinner, I can totally relate to the contestants desire to show their stuff on the small screen.

Right off the bat, I didn't like a couple of the contestants and found myself actually chanting "send her home, send her home." Carissa drove me nuts with the way she said the same few phrases over and over. Yvette's "sofrito" obsession made me actually lose interest in Latino food.

I am happy to see that my first choice, Guy, is still in the running. There is something about him that would make me watch his show. He's fast-talking, funny, knowledgeable, sincere and lives outside the box. He's not like any other host on the Food Network and any man who can make a cupcake look like a double-decker cheeseburger has my vote.

I hope the Food Network keeps bringing us interesting shows like this one.
  • Very disappointed!

I have to say that I'm very disappointed with the show's results tonight. I often times find Tregay hard to understand and a little flaky with the silly expressions that she uses WAY to often. Yes she smiles a lot and is bubbly but I think her content is lacking. I think Damiano was much easier to watch. I almost feel like you just wanted a person of color to win. I can't ever see watching her show. It's just too fleeky ! You let better ones get away.
  • Subtitles for all!!

I find it easier to understand Damiano than Tregaye. I have trouble understanding her, she talks too fast. I also find the three word vocabulary off putting, and am pretty sure she doesn't use 'on flique' (fleek?) in the right way---- but either way, if I never hear that expression again, it will be too soon. Why don't the judges call her out for over-using 'poppin', 'boo', and on fleek. I want to chuck something at my tv.
  • Will it? I want the recipe !

Will ahi ... patty melt? Of course. Too easy. Surprise win was will hummus calzone? Yes? Can I please have the recipe? This is the problem with Food Network these days. It's not about cooking. It's about drama. I don't learn anything about cooking on TV anymore. And I'm sad to see the Lunch Lady go. He was darn funny on the comments part of the show.
  • Giada

Omg could Giada smile or fake smile any surprised her big ass mouth doesn't swallow her head and NO I'm not jealous or anything, but FAKE at its best. Please ditch her and add someone more sincere.
  • Wardrobe malfunction :\

Giada's wardrobe is much too revealing for this type of programming - cleavage and crop tops?
  • oh what a bow

Loreal Gavin - I have the matching earrings to your bow necklace!

*S*
  • Bring Stacy back!

Giada said Stacy was guarded and not genuine. Really Giada? Love your show but I do not consider you to be genuine and real on tv at all!! Also, people I know who have seen your show feel the same. Yet, we love your recipes and that is why we watch you. Stacy is someone

Everyone could relate to. She is the real deal. Great concept for her show too. You voted her out unfairly from the beginning. Sad.

Still, my family and I love food network.
  • I enjoy watching most of the candidates. And having one different judge every week is nice.

6.8
    This is a good show. I don't understand why Sue Fogelson is a judge. I suppose it doesn't matter that I've never seen her cook, and she has no personality. However, I enjoy the show mostly even though there has to be a Simon on every show I guess. I can't imagine I would ever watch a show if Rory were to win. I really like Amy and I could see myself watching a show she were to host.
  • Someone's in the kitchen with....Survivor?

The television food network attempts to join the ranks of "Reality" programming. But wouldn't all cooking show's be real programming? I'll sit and ponder that one for awhile.

I watched the first offering of this short competition series. The tasks that the contestants were asked to perform were mostly interesting, if not entertaining.

The perplexing part of this show is the judges. I know they're some sort of big kahunas at the network, but do they really know what America wants to watch? They've lost some of their best talent and focused on what they think is glitz. And that glitz is starting to border on Schlock.
    I was never able to figure out just how they made their decisions, it must have been based on personality clashes and meshes that we viewers never got to see. It's almost as if they're wearing blindfolds and pinning the tail on the loser of the hour.

The winners of the first competition, IMHO, should have been voted off near the beginning of the series. They were completely lacking in personality and didn't offer anything interesting or fresh to viewers. I've caught some of their series and it isn't any better.
    There was a lady in the competition whom the 'celebrity' judge seemed to be pushing for throughout the competition. She was plucky and delightful and had a very excellent idea for a series. In fact, I've recently come across a new show on foodtv that is exactly what this woman had designed for her series during the competition, except it's with a different cook (one who has the personality of mildew). But I digress.

At the start of the 2nd competition I knew not to expect much at all since they had the same lame judges except this time they were joined by pseudo-celebrity chef Bobby Flay. He owns a couple eateries in New York, but owning eateries does not make you a good judge of cooking, otherwise Burger King and Ronald McDonald would be the only reasonable judges to have on board.

Once again, the judges systematically got rid of most of the strong competitors. And just like the first time around, they whittled them down to one of the stronger competitors and one of the weakest. There's no anticipation as to who is going to taste victory.

I do enjoy the other foodtv celebs they have on the show, giving the contestants pointers, except for maybe Dave Leiberman and Alton Brown, they weren't much help at all, unless being condescending is their twisted idea of instruction. (check out the faces Dave Leiberman makes at the contestants during the cupcake battle, it's pathetic!).

Should they decide to hold a 3rd competition, perhaps they'll get it right, but I probably won't be watching to find out.

• Disappointed in the choice of winner

I was very disappointed in the choice of winner. Jay was the most consistent with his food skills and his presentations and he was the only one of the three who actually made his own dish during the pilot. So, why did Eddie win? He's a former pro football player, but I thought this was a show about cooking. Silly me.
  • the next food network star should be someone viewers will actually watch

I would like to be on this show. I have one tape on you tube, but I don't have a camera crew so my progress hasn't been as great as I would like. But here is the link.....0UJ4NzHSyso. Or search Fancy Your Feast.
  • I've been disappointed the direction Food Network has been turning as they re-envision their charter, and I believe this show is a prime example of their problems.

I admit I have a softer spot in my heart for Top Chef because it was one of my first guides, but I don't believe that view radically skews my opinions of this show, although the gentle reader may grow weary of the comparison. These comments relate to the recently completed season four.

While discussing the show with a friend, I said it was like watching Top Chef on Valium, but it's more accurately Top Chef on Valium and Prozac with a little Digoxin thrown in for good measure.

The Show Overall: These episodes move so slowly, but you still feel unsatisfied at the end of the hour. The editing is choppy, leaving no coherent story arc (or whatever it's called in the reality genre). There's so much detritus footage that makes no difference to the episode resolution, but it's there every week. I want to see more of the selection committee, I want to see more cooking, I want to understand the decisions better. I want, I want, I want. I shouldn't end each week with this feeling.

The Challenges: They devise ridiculous challenges that neither test the finalists' skills nor relate to any kind of studio work they'll film (The Digoxin part -- you know, psych drug, psych drug, cardiac drug. Which of these doesn't belong?). This season alone they had to cook on a moving train, a carrier at sea, perform different skills set demonstrations with no prep time, etc. None of that remotely represents what they'll find if they win the show, when culinary producers and crews create scripts, test recipes, basically eliminate the need for the cooking skills at all. Now I'll admit that Top Chef has had some stupid challenges, the gas station and vending machine ones come to mind, but they were at the QuickFire level (Mini-Challenge on NFNS), not the Elimination (Main Challenge on NFNS). What should have been a logical progression of introductory to proficient camera skills and basic to chef-level cooking technique demonstrations ended up a hodge-podge with no clear organization or rhythm.

The Editing: All due respect to my sister: I know that editors are sometimes limited by the whim of the producers and/or clients. The thing is, someone should have stood back and realized that the product was milquetoast. Crisper editing with a view to the story for the episode would have made a world of difference. Getting rid of a quarter of the inane comments by the finalists -- some of which were obviously scripted -- would have breathed life into the franchise. There's only so much illumination that can be cast on a scene by an off-set remark. Only Adam actually fulfilled the typical role these usually take: a funny or sarcastic reflection on what happened. Skillful editing includes the expression on faces as things happen, so the subtext isn't needed to understand what's going on.

The Finalists: A more boring batch of contestants I've yet to meet, with the exception of Kelsey who was the most annoying, plastic replicant ever to dull a show (Marcel from Top Chef is still no. 1, but Kelsey may edge out Richard Hatch for the no. 2 spot). I keep harping on the editing, but either no one had any personality, or any flares of realism were left on the hard drive (or cutting room floor, depending on your era). The weird thing is that Top Chef began with contestants like this their first season, but each year the talent pool gets better and higher up the culinary food chain. This is not a perfect analogy, because it's very clear that Food Network is no longer looking for skilled chefs, but that wouldn't prevent them from looking for more talented amateurs.

My disappointment in this show is not that it's failing to become a Top Chef clone (believe it or not), but that they've watered down the competition and created such a bland product that it's boring. Whether through editing or elimination decisions, it was pretty clear from the beginning who was being groomed. It's hard to invest in a finalist if you know his or her days are numbered. Obscure judging also didn't help things. In this season's final episode, the criteria cited by Susie or Bob was that the winner had to be able to start filming the next day. This could mean one of two things (well, it could mean more, but these are the two I came up with): Either two of the finalists had family obligations or only one needed the least work to become camera-ready. If it's the former, what a stupid way to make a decision, if it's the latter, I do not see how they chose the winner they did. But how would we know? Not one decision was ever explained on camera either to the contestants or to the viewer.

Even understanding that they are focusing on camera skills, rather than cooking ability -- a sad trend throughout the network -- I believe this show could be so much more than the rote entertainment it is.
  • It's time to get real!

The public is the audience for The Next Food . I think the public should have a vote as to who they would like to watch. Tregaye is too loud, she'd be the first one I'd turn off. The judges are not afraid to show who their favorites are. I think it's time for a new generation of hosts. I don't care who wants it the most, I care about who deserves the chance.
  • Liked the old format better. Love Top Chef but I don't think it was wise to copy. The Next Food Network Star had its own appeal.

With this new format, the Food Network has lost some of its integrity. The old stars and the judges are coming across badly. (And I mean not nice or happy to be there.) There has been no grooming of the incoming talent. (That the viewers have seen.) The group has had very little appeal. They all seem to be shaken and off balance. It appears the Food Network is not one big happy family anymore. The show is all stress and no joy. I'm voting for Amy. She seems to have the best presence and talent.
  • Honestly Giada??????

4.5
    I too am upset with Giada's constant slutty attire. You don't see Bobby Flay running around wearing assless chaps at least not yet. What exactly are they trying to cook up on this show. Giving food porn a new meaning.

• stopped after 2 seasons

4.5
    The show is great and exciting but the decision making by the judges really frustrate me. Its possible that theres more to their reasons but if i dont see it, it doesnt matter. netflix only has seasons 9 and 10 so i only watched those two. There were a few bad judgement calls in Season 9 and I feel like they picked the wrong winner but thats fine. Season 10 during the youtube THE PAYDAY MONSTER VIDEO WAS WAAYYY MORE AWESOME! I can barely remember the other 2. Everyone that i know that watched it was appalled by the decision. I can still remember how funny and ridiculous it was. The Reese one was about to put me to sleep and even though I love Emma, she wasnt that memorable.

I personally think Aryan shouldve been kicked off for her lack of cooking skills earlier, but in the commercial she was awesome. I heard every word and she was hilarious.

Also the cutthroat kitchen with Lenny, how bad could that piece of bread be? Also it was a barely significant part of his dish. if Bobby could swallow Kenny's weird contraption than he can swallow a piece of dry or tasteless bread. Atleast spit for better reasons.

I love Giada and Alton but it makes me too angry to see the wrong contestants get booted. I rather watch Iron chef or Hells kitchen, Gordon Ramsey makes better decisions.
< 1 2 3