The Next Food Network Star

Sunday 9:00 PM on Food Network Premiered Jun 05, 2005 In Season

layle1

The Next Food Network Star Fan Reviews (46)

• Wardrobe malfunction :\

Giada's wardrobe is much too revealing for this type of programming - cleavage and crop tops?
  • super cool program and great comments from the judges

Can someone tell me how I can get into this competition. Thank you
  • Alex Mc Coy

1.5
    It bugs me when he puts his hair back behinds his ear then he touches his food. GROSS!! He either needs to cut his hair or wear a ball cap
  • You're not a young woman any more

Giada Dear, your short skirts and vastly exposed chest are not flattering at all. It's obvious that you're beginning to age, as we all must sooner or later. It was almost painful to watch you on last night's episode. You looked like a talented, intelligent culinary expert compromising her dignity.
  • Hardly Any Cooking Any More

What has been happening to the Network that was about cooking? Guy Fieri: Junk Food is now on 8 times a day. He is not cooking but showing awful food. Ina and Bobby F. may be the only cooks left that actually cook. Why not move to some of the vegan shakes? What are they? What is in them? and Why are they good for you? Simply stuff too: How to cook a good steak. I don't like the shows that make fun of the chefs or humiliate them with stupid games. Used to always tune in, still do, but leave unsatisfied.
  • ok your public has judging time

ok here we go The Pioneer Women I turn off as soon as I here the intro music her food and her personality are dull and boringHer crap re home school is a joke most of the time the kids are ranch hands when there is school she sends the older kids to teach not her. One of her sons wrote a card for his great grandmother that was unreadable. We know where education is in her life. Alton Brown he use to be a neat scientist explaining the cooking process neat and informative. now Cutthroat Kitchen is a horrible to to watch and an insult to the Chefs that are professional plain stupid. Now here is a gift. Giada.. the old giada was enjoyable she actually ate what she made the new Giada walked out with Bobby for a new show looking like a hooker. Her boobs hanging out and she looked like she was selling something other than food. I can no longer let grand kids see what use to be a family show. Do what you want in your personal life its not to be plastered all over Tv. Guy I love Guys other big bite but I am getting tired of the lack of cooking on his part and Triple D and the numerous reruns. The Grocery games that's not cooking. Trisha's southern cooking I hate that show her food is I don't even have a work her music is grand but not the cooking. Chopped is super all of the judges seem to be supportive and kind and enjoy competing against each other except the queen Shohan sp?? She is very

curt for those trying to please her and doesn't seem to partake in the other judges competing games. Now we have Chopped Canada with the sex addict enough said.

Here we have Damaras Phillips Southern at heart now thats a woman that can cook tells you why she does something and introduces you to new products a real cooking whole group of us watch her show. She is informative and fun you can learn a lot from her. Bobby flay COOKS on all his shows. and is informative and humble Ok so he is easy on the eye Burrell is super and always teaches you something Jacques Torres is amazing. I just adore Ming Tsai he is funny and shows you the in and outs of his cooking Michael Chiarello he is wonderful and has super ideas. Emerill What can say he and Julia got us all started oh and Graham Kerr. Thats what cooking is not this Las Vegas crap your dishing out. Nancy on farmhouse rules is a refreshing and informative change. Iron chef is super. Mario Batali acts like a dirty old man and that he is better than every one else. He is also sloppy in his plating. I am Rachel Rayed out to much of her while her her food is good and serves a clientell there is to much of her. Sandra lee is great at adapting her cooking to being semi homade she serves her own clientell and that's what you want a cook who cooks and has a niche . I am praying for her I also have had double mastectomies. I loved the fat ladies prior to one of there deaths i purchased the Puck just simply put Marvelous Darling. Alex we love you girl. Geoffery Zakarian I'm making you an apron looks like tux get rid of sports coat it looks out of place. Fondly, Sally Buckley

• stopped after 2 seasons

4.5
    The show is great and exciting but the decision making by the judges really frustrate me. Its possible that theres more to their reasons but if i dont see it, it doesnt matter. netflix only has seasons 9 and 10 so i only watched those two. There were a few bad judgement calls in Season 9 and I feel like they picked the wrong winner but thats fine. Season 10 during the youtube THE PAYDAY MONSTER VIDEO WAS WAAYYY MORE AWESOME! I can barely remember the other 2. Everyone that i know that watched it was appalled by the decision. I can still remember how funny and ridiculous it was. The Reese one was about to put me to sleep and even though I love Emma, she wasnt that memorable.

I personally think Aryan shouldve been kicked off for her lack of cooking skills earlier, but in the commercial she was awesome. I heard every word and she was hilarious.

Also the cutthroat kitchen with Lenny, how bad could that piece of bread be? Also it was a barely significant part of his dish. if Bobby could swallow Kenny's weird contraption than he can swallow a piece of dry or tasteless bread. Atleast spit for better reasons.

I love Giada and Alton but it makes me too angry to see the wrong contestants get booted. I rather watch Iron chef or Hells kitchen, Gordon Ramsey makes better decisions.
  • oh what a bow

Loreal Gavin - I have the matching earrings to your bow necklace!

*S*
  • LENNY REALLY? WHAT HAPPENED

I WOULD NEVER WATCH HIM HE IS WEIRD I AGREE. He is obnoxious and fake. He is NOT a cowboy that I would find attractive. You lost another viewer foodnetwork
  • snobby judges

The judges suck, they all act like snobs. What happened to them? They used to be down to earth.
  • Predictable

Since the "viewers" became the deciding factor, the show is no longer about the culinary skills of the contestants. It's a popularity contest. Lenny is a nice enough guy, but the "routine" will get old pretty quick.

I guess this will be the last "Star" series I will waste my time watching.

• A VERY CRUEL JOKE!

Lenny? REALLY??? People voted for this clown-fake cowboy ? REALLY????? Add him to the clown lineup w/ Jeff Mauro, all seeking the supporting role of the now-over saturated Guy. What? Did the FN viewers pull themselves away from "Duck Dynasty" and "Big Smo" just long enough to vote?
  • Horrible

I am simply SICK 'n TiRED of seeing the same 3 judges, PERIOD!! I can't stand GIA Ms. Italian Chef, she thinks she's all that - and really she is SOOOO conceited. The only one, that knows anything about food, is BOBBY *** How about choosing someone else? Why always ALTON. HE needs to stay on Iron Chef - and, keep him there! Gia should just stay on her little cooking show, showing off her pearly whites - and Bobby, well Bobby - knows more, than the BOTH of them! HOW ABOUT PUTTING ALEX G & AARON SANCHEZ, W/ BOBBY. IF THEY HAVE THE SAME CRAP AGAIN - I WILL NO LONGER WATCH THIS CRAP! ALEX BEATS OUT GIADA ANYTIME, ANYWHERE ---
  • This show has become CRAP!

I can't believe they sent Emma home. Why do they always send home the nice calm people? Remember the Hawaiian guy a couple seasons ago ?? Emma is GREAT... she was a pleasure to watch. Obviously food network only likes loud, annoying, brash people on their channel. Alton, that white haired spikey Guy and the lady that looks just like him... don't remember her name.. that demaris from last season is just unwatchable! I'm done with this show!
  • Unappetizing drama

3.5
    I agree with the reviewer above me. Sarah is a bitch who has a semi-pretty face, Chris shouldn't have been eliminated.

Many people like to think that firing Paula Deen was the cause of the slight decline, but that is not the case at all. Her ratings have been going south (no pun intended) long before FN decided to give her the heave-ho. After her diabetes drama, and the n-word meltdown, it gave them the final reason to let her go. Now, the real reason of the sudden decline is simply the quality of the shows modern FN has concocted. Most of these new shows are game or competition shows. (Wait a minute, I thought food was about love, not war? Not variations of "Chopped", "Chopped Canada", "Chopped Russia", "Cupcake War", "Ice Cream War", and so forth. When people tune in to watch FN, they want to see programming about food. They don't want game shows, they don't want aggressive competitions, they don't want 'reality' shows that focuses on the daily struggles of restaurant owners. Yeah, people have enough problems of their own, already, they'd prefer not watch it unfold on a food channel of all places- ironically enough, it would make you avoid restaurants, if anything. However, there are a few (accidental) programs that incorporate food with competition: (Iron Chef, and Chopped). Although they don't teach you how to necessarily cook, you can still pick up on a few tricks, so that's something. Now with that out of the way, this my general opinion on this show.

While the concept is interesting enough, most of the contestants are unlikable, and try too hard to have a "Bright. Bold, Lively Personality" i . e Jeff, ( the latest food network star challenge winner. He is personable, and naturally goofy, but he's nearly jarring to watch, since the execs expect him to be wild and spontaneous), like Guy Fieri. You rarely see a contestant that is soft-spoken, calm, and composed. Emril is an exception to the rule. His personality is bright, and lively, not forced and script, and most importantly, HE TEACHES THE VIEWERS HOW TO ACTUALLY COOK. I remembered watching him at 11 at night and he would shout "BAM" and I would clap happily. He knows what he is doing, and he knows how to engage eager foodies to create a 5 star meal using ordinary ingredients.

Another problem witnessed in the search of a new FoodNetwork Star is sieving through all these "diverse" personalities that border on fake, forced, and obnoxious : the slutty Pinup girls, the bitchy fashionista, the sassy black chick, the boring guy who can cook like a pro, etc. I understand that they want melting pot of different personalities and people in the kitchen, but the most important factor is their ability to actually COOK, not who can stamp their names on the largest amount of cookware, or various utensils ( because buying eight hundred dollars of cookware with Rachel Ray's face stamped on the box will guarantee the buyer that they will become an Iron Chef in their homes- go figure).

And even the so-called "hosts" have transformed from humble folks into the most pretentious assholes I've seen in while.

Bobby and Alton are the Alpha and "Omega-3" of cooking. They own several restaurants, and host several shows on the Cooking Channel. They would be ideal mentors for a rising star, considering their notoriety in the food industry.

As for Giada...

Honestly, this bobble head- and her crocodile smile ( you can even see the back of her molars) is the last person anyone should be mentored by. She's arrogant, patronizing, and doesn't even act like a professional chef-jutting out her non-existent cleavage for the world to show. FN calls it "sexy", viewers call it "slutty". Sorry to break it to you Giada, or like she loves to pronounce: JA-DA. Ontop of that, she was already famous, because of her grandfather, who was a famous Film-maker, Dino De Laurentiis. Another annoying aspect of her is the fact that she insists on emphasizing Italian words obnoxiously like M-O-ZZER-RELLA and has the urge to zest a lemon on every dish, minimum one per ounce of pasta. (Her emphasis on pronouncing Italian words further perpetuated the stereotypes that being Italian means that you know the way Italian food should be prepared, because apparently, it is a born right).

It's unnerving how Alton and Bobby try their damnest to intimidate the contestants. I actually saw a preview for the next episode and Alton mentioned that "WE ARE THE TIRUMVIRATE, WE ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO GET TO DECIDE, AND THAT'S TRUTH" and no, he didn't "yell" that, but if you heard it, it was quite condescending. The statement implies that since he, JA-DA, and Flay helped build the the company, almost to the point of having a clique, and they look down on any newcomers. It doesn't matter if the person next to you forgot to cook a whole chicken, or whether or not the girl with the big red bow studded with polka-dots stuttered throughout her presentation, their words are final, and there's point in no arguing with them. ( Assuming that superiority is as equal as the ability to actually prepare food). Apparently , the premise of the competition seems that the contestants are supposed to already know how to cook like a five-star gourmet, chef, reality of is enduring whatever crap they throw at them ( which really is just marketing, and viewers picking favorites) . Ironically enough, most of the bread-winners (no pun intended) never went though a competition like this, and they have too much self-entitlement in their own personal successes to actually give a shit about improving them as an aspiring chef longing to host a show on Food Network-or rather, "A Network, and Then Some Food"

• Sarah needs to be gone!!!!!!!!!

At one time I used to love watching Food Network. But the more I watch it, the more I notice subtle acts of racist behaviors. These judges are so phony and are judging without any expertise. The last show proves this by not eliminating Sarah. How can you all let this inexperienced contestant survive one more episode. You all had stated in previous competitions that the girl can not cook. Not only that, she does not deliver well on any of the challenges. Chris has cooked better food and has done better on a lot more of the challenges than Sarah has... This decision was straight up bull and you know it was not fair. It was just another attempt to keep the black man down and keep us from getting ahead. I know damn well Chris deserved another chance because that fake ass Sarah is just scathing by on each episode. I see Paula Deen is not the only one on the network with these inferior attitudes about African-Americans...
  • Food Network Star or Lenny the Phony Cowboy Joker

I have watched several seasons of this show, often being disappointed with the obvious lack of professionalism displayed by the judges, but this season is the most obvious worship of a low talented con man being sold to us by a want to be sex symbol, and want to be comedian who would be more suited to the 1940s. No wonder the network has lost viewers and become just another network to attract the simple minded, who accept stereotyping as actual fact, sex starved losers who would let even a chicken legged, spoiled little rich girl who used money to make her a TV show host even though her talents are obviously small.

Then the clown who thinks he is funny but only if it were the 1940s not 2014. His real talent which he showed early on the network of being informative, well versed on his subject was replaced by silly, often caveman like humor that is embarrassing instead of funny. It is the way of the Food Network sadly.

Why 2 judges who can't even define themselves think they know a star or know what the people want are given the power they have is totally from the world of stupid. They aren't focused on anything other than what they think and that is a sex starved, chicken legged little spoiled rich girl, and clown from the 40s. So when they meet a phony, over stereotyped Lenny who has the intellect of a 10 year old, the results is obvious. They will fall in love with the fraud. The promos before the show started to air focused on this pathetic creature, and when it did air we see him getting all the camera time they can give him in an attempt to brainwash us into thinking there is something there, but normal thinking people see it is just propaganda.

Bobby Flay is not without his faults (he was crazy over Penny and kept her around way too long), but in spite of his over saturation on the network, and the doubt of his being able to recognized talent beyond the cooking part, he even seems to be ready to get up and walk out over the worship of the other 2 judges of the rhinestone Lenny.

FN needs to remember who they will get to watch and what their real viewers want, then get rid of the little rich girl, take the clown and turn him back into the knowledgeable professor like person he used to be. Flay needs to focus on cooking and not the personality of the star. Who should decide the winner? I don't know if anyone at the FN is really qualified to decide that.
  • Show has lost its POV!!!

Ridiculous set-ups for finding a star who cooks.

They obviously want a loud and brash to replace Paula should not have been thrown under the bus. However, s he is in good company. Emeril and Mario... the last 2 are on food Channel.

Giada is so Smug and Fake smile makes my face hurt. Alton, ever the professor! Ugh! best of these be Bobby.

This network cannot be merely THE GUY FIERI NETWORK !!! But IS! Ina, Chopped, say no!

PLEASE watch Top Chef: It is Top Class! And master Chef is Excellent also. Giada, by the way, would not be here if she was Giada Smith. Dilaurentis carries a lot of power in the name!
  • Bye bye Food Network Star

2.5
    I've watched this show since it's inception and I hate the turn it has taken. I want to see them cook not the ridiculous things they are having them do. And the drama every other frame? Really? So I say bye bye FNS.
  • Are you serious???

This episode almost makes The Real Housewives of (name whatever city you want!) look polished, informative and entertaining. Positively, cringe worthy
  • Call it a non-cooking show

Idiot games that do not demonstrate an ability to make delicious food for real people. Give me a break, people! Not only have I given up on this season but am thinking about cancelling my tv satellite. I want interesting cooks who could teach me new techniques, not mean and sadistic behavior to "win" a show. How is this talent? Ho HUM! I give it a 1 out of 10. I still like Alton in spite of his idiot new show. Surely he will come up with something usefull one day.
  • Lost My Appetite for Food Network

I used to be an avid watcher of Food Network, but in the past 3 or 4 years things have taken such a downward slide that I seldom watch anything there anymore. In general, the quality of the shows and the "stars" has bottomed out--seriously, is there anyone else besides Guy F on their channel? I've watched the first few episodes of The Next Food Network Star and I fear they are truly hitting rock bottom. I hate Cutthroat Kitchen, so that episode was definitely not something I enjoyed. This past week they didn't even bother having the contestants cook. Alton, Bobby, and Giada (or should we call her Bubbles) have become such pretentious asses, it's hard to watch and not be embarrassed for them. Someone over at the network (speaking of pretentious asses) should take heed and get back to basics while there are still some people watching.
  • A little goes a long way

2.5
    Do we really need to watch until the end? Sarah's face and fakeness is shoved at us constantly. She is still the pageant queen and very very annoying. PLUS her dishes are not good. Are the 2 guys falling for her constant flirting. Really too much! I have a feeling that she will be favored to the end, regardless of her lack of talent. Too bad, I love this show.
  • Giada - PUT SOME CLOTHES ON - IT'S A FAMILY SHOW!

3.5
    The judges on the show are supposed to be known for their Cooking Talent - Not how much flesh they can show. I mean really is Giada a chef or does she want to be a runway model. It is disturbing to try and watch the show with my family and constantly have the camera looking up her dress under the judging table or having her breast shown off in front of the camera! It is truly making us not want to watch the show anymore. Keep the show about the talent - not about Giada's flesh!! She is phony acting anyway. Get a real chef that we can look up to for their talent and quit trying to make it like Desperate Housewives or something!
  • I'd rather watch any one of these people than the Pioneer Woman

I just have one question, how does a no-talent airhead like the Pioneer Woman snag her own cooking show without being vetted whatsoever, and these people have to jump through flaming effing hoops while simultaneously cooking something edible for the entire freaking network? I tried watching her show ONCE and I wanted to claw my eyes out. This network has lost all credibility.
  • GIADA

IRON CHEF bobby flay owns multiple restaurants and has about a gazillion shows on the food network channel and he is all over the other food network channel. alton brown also has a bunch of shows he hosts (good eats, cutthroat kitchen and iron chef.... to name a few) plus he knows EVERYTHING about food. i mean he is on a genius level when it comes to knowing about every product, what it is, where it comes from, what will go with what etc. need i say more about these two being mentors in searching for the next food network star! but GIADA???? WHY DID THEY PICK HER!!! she has one, maybe two sometimes, shows on far as i know, she is a stay at home mom (there is nothing wrong with that) but she doesn't own any restaurants, she doesn't do any other show, she doesn't host or judge anything else besides NFNS. i mean there is no comparison between the 3 of them. food network should have picked someone else for this job. just to name a few IRON CHEF alex guarnaschelli, rachel ray, ina garten etc... they had so many choices and i don't think she is the right person for the job. she seems kind of stuck up, with no patience, she barely ever has something good/nice to say it seems. im almost ready to stop watching because of her. plus, she always stays in her comfort zone by almost always making italian food. how about one of the wonderful, full of knowledge and can cook anything they are handed, women i mentioned. i think she should be replaced either by rachel ray or alex g. im just not on the giada bandwagon but i love bobby and alton, one last thing, idk what happened the year that justin won and why his show wasn't produced but i do know that i liked that format of mentoring better than last year. the mentors really connected with their contestants. i mean when we saw alton break down when justin and the other girl were both picked as finalists in his group (unfortunately i can't remember her was it Marnie???). it was heart warming. it showed that they really connected and they wanted them to become the best chef (win or lose) that they could be. last year left me feeling that they didn't care as much. idk how to explain it but it just seemed they didn't have as much time with their mentors. the year justin won was the best format of the show, you could see the mentors really believed in the person who was up for elimination, if they continue with how they did the show last year, i know that they just lost one viewer, and food network executives replace giada with someone who has a wider range of knowledge and is more caring and sensitive and that has more than one show she is on. I MEAN IS SHE REALLY THE MOST QUALIFIED WOMAN FOR THE JOB?????? I DON'T THINK SO!!!!
  • ridiculous retreds

out of all the talented cooks out there, why does the food network keep recycling past competitors. for the most part these are past losers. it's almost as if the FN seems determined to create a spot for someone who just hasn't cut it previously--typically someone who is ridiculously extroverted or ridiculously controversial (taking a stupid page from Hell's Kitchen). it seems a channel called Food Network would make their primary focus culinary skill, not controversy. the most recent example I've noticed was that stupid, selfish bitch Davidi on Cutthroat Kitchen. I know I've seen her at two or three times already. Food Network could take a page or two from Top Chef--most of whose contestants could cook circles around almost anything the FN has to offer (including most of the Iron Chefs!) Everything about Top Chef is very professional from the contestants to the judges. I used to have a good half dozen FN shows I watched religiously; now I'm down to just two or three, especially Chopped which thankfully still has its real focus on food and cooking. come on, Food Network, let's get back to real cooking!
  • Bring Stacy back!

Giada said Stacy was guarded and not genuine. Really Giada? Love your show but I do not consider you to be genuine and real on tv at all!! Also, people I know who have seen your show feel the same. Yet, we love your recipes and that is why we watch you. Stacy is someone

Everyone could relate to. She is the real deal. Great concept for her show too. You voted her out unfairly from the beginning. Sad.

Still, my family and I love food network.
  • the next food network star should be someone viewers will actually watch

I would like to be on this show. I have one tape on you tube, but I don't have a camera crew so my progress hasn't been as great as I would like. But here is the link.....0UJ4NzHSyso. Or search Fancy Your Feast.
  • the next food network star should be someone viewers will actually watch

2.5
    I don't get why viewers don't vote throughout the whole season. Do the judges even know who watches their shows? Honestly there is no room for another Italian, Mexican, Southern or Indian food show. I don't want to watch a meal being cooked in 30 minutes, under 10 dollars or under some other premise that may or may not be possible. Ten dollars gets you a lot more in some places and heck, I can make a meal for 4 for under $5 and throw together a deli tray in 10 minutes. The only three I would watch from this years contestants are retro girl, the kid who's totally out of the box (he might even be in another box altogether) or Ippy- I don't know a whole lot about Hawaiian cuisine. I haven't watched a whole show from the last 2 winners but I'm hoping they get it right this year.
< 1 2