The Nine Lives of Chloe King Forums

ABC Family (ended 2011)

Abysmal

RedLocque

[1]Jun 16, 2011
    • level: 7

I'm sorry to say ABC threw good money after bad here. The writing is poor to non-existent at best, I didn't catch the director's name but I do not believe he'll have a long career if this is the best example of his work. The actors could, I don't know, try to act not overact. All in all, I hope the show is canceled and we get something good instead, by which I mean NOT a reality- or game-show.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Pazma

[2]Jun 16, 2011
    • level: 3

I agree, it was terrible. I think it lost me when this absolutely gorgeous girl apparently hasn't been kissed for ten years. Age 7 to 17 or something, that was a big stumbling block for me, way too unrealistic and that's saying something considering the show is about people with super human abilities. And it just got worse from there. I really like the premise though and maybe it's a good show for teen girls or something, I just have very different taste. I wont be watching again.

puppybunny1

[3]Jun 16, 2011
    • level: 13
    I think that there are still people who don't get kiss from the age 7-17 years old. Those that do get kiss and other stuff are on Teen Pregnancy shows. Since this is fantasy, let's give it a chance. Otherwise there are other fantasy shows like The Bachelorette and Keeping Up with the Kardashians. I would rather watch ABC Family, then ABC and E!. When I say that Keeping Up with the Kardashians is a fantasy show is because they do nothing, but pimp out a s-e-x-t-a-p-e and get famous for their fake assets.

SpriteWolf

[4]Jun 18, 2011
    • level: 12
    It's unrealistic to have not been kissed by age 17? (haha, thank you for pointing out my lonely existence, and I say this all in good humor ^^ ) I'm a 22-year-old girl, turning 23 this year, and so far I have yet to be kissed. Haven't watched this show yet, but based on what people are saying, I don't know if I'll bother tuning in. Plus, it seems more like a tween/young-teen drama (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that), and I've found that I can't really sit through those types of shows anymore. Just doesn't hold my attention. It's too bad, cause I was kinda looking forward to the Catwoman-ish edge that the show seemed to advertise.

DVEight

[6]Jun 20, 2011
    • level: 5
    Nice to see Amy Pietz is a regular series again; if the series is picked up. Besides the bad dialouge and trite story, i find the naked 16 year old in the shower scene a little inappropriate.

hiddenZ

[7]Jun 20, 2011

Well "Abysmal" is probably a little harsh... But! it is true that it would need a lot of work to be a good show (not even great just good). But I think there is a solid base. Though the catwoman-like theme might be wrong for ABC Family - it might be better off not being so teen-y, with addition of some action, a cool-factor of some kind and at least some darker moments. On the other hand, maybe it will still be (mildly) entertaining... you never know.

johnmarlena422

[8]Jun 25, 2011
    • level: 16
    I know I'm in the minority here but I actually really like it. Given, I haven't seen the second episode yet but I think the pilot was decent.

kok_warlock

[9]Jun 26, 2011
    • level: 11

Considering how I watched that after Pretty Little Liars, I have to wonder how the same ABC Family that has PLL on their schedule, can have this awful show on it's schedule.

The actors were pretty bad, their performances were flat and the characters, worst, they were shallow, cliché, incredibly annoying, not to mention non-believeable, also whole thing looked like it would be more fit to be on a Disney or Nickelodeon channel.

I do agree specially with the directing part, but also blame the producing, the pilot was poorly made, and the way it was filmed, looked amateurish at best...

Kitanishi

[10]Jun 29, 2011
    • level: 9
    johnmarlena422 wrote:
    I know I'm in the minority here but I actually really like it. Given, I haven't seen the second episode yet but I think the pilot was decent.

Agreed. I see no problem with the way it is filmed or actors. There are just two things wrong with it:
    1)It tries to copy Buffy way too much, with premise, the way everything is shot, etc.
    2)It still lacks lore depth

Spawnie051

[11]Jul 2, 2011
    • level: 2

I agree with you. How did this show get such a high rating? Are all the people that visit the page blind and have no brain activity at all?

I mean seriously, do we need another show about teenagers with the Romeo and Juliette drama? Plus the actress playing Chloe annoys me just like she did in The Gates playing that succubus girl, and her best friend in the show is the same lvl of annoying. I love superhero shows, I love sci fi and I watched trash in my years but this is so poorly written I don't even know how it passed screening and went on air. I've seen much better shows get canceled and it a true sin to keep this one going. Give me my No ordinary Family back!

Edited on 07/02/2011 1:30am

johnmarlena422

[12]Jul 2, 2011
    • level: 16
    Kitanishi wrote:
    johnmarlena422 wrote:

Agreed. I see no problem with the way it is filmed or actors. There are just two things wrong with it:
    1)It tries to copy Buffy way too much, with premise, the way everything is shot, etc.

Though, I can't comment on the first never having seen Buffy, I do have to agree about the need for more depth

Kitanishi

[14]Jul 4, 2011
    • level: 9
    johnmarlena422 wrote:
    Kitanishi wrote:
    johnmarlena422 wrote:

Though, I can't comment on the first never having seen Buffy, I do have to agree about the need for more depth

Hm Let's see:

A blond girl with a colorful personality lives alone with her mother in a seemingly quiet town. Has two friends - a female ditsy one and a male geeky-one. Encounters a mentor figure and then viewers find out she has superpowers and a terrible destiny(no one seems to know exactly what though) and it all somehow involves her death(s). Cue a series of murders, secrets everyone hides and other things.
    Encounters a black-haired prettyboy with secrets and falls in love with him, but will never be able to get intimate with him due to supernatural stuff that would cause. Her mentor tries to convince her that she should forget about her normal life and embrace her destiny, but she tries to hold on to normal life(which involves going to school, partying in the local club, etc) while everything that is supernatural is out to kill her. Latter on encounters a blond, snarky guy she feels attracted to.

Which show am I describing right now?

Of course that highlights the main problem with NLoCK too. That other show did not let the storyline dwell on the romance-impossible all the time. IT built up the lore, mythology and setting, then it built up characters, then it continuously tortured the characters and shattered their lives leading to some quite interesting character development and deaths through the show.

THIS show, however, focuses way too much on the whole emphasis of "i want to be normal, but i can't love ____ because its bad" stuff and completely neglects supporting cast, the storyline and the mythology behind the storyline. Thats IMO, the main problem right now.

jack756

[15]Jul 20, 2011
    • level: 14

i am shock at some ppl comments.wow im spechless at the comments.i like the show i didnt think none of the acotrs were bad.bad acting is when a actor or actress is not believeable.all the acots/actress in this were believeable.i think somepeople want this kids to be oscar actors or something.i mean when jessica alba first came out her acting was okay but over time it got better.give the kids a break.i did notice the friend does seems to overact but i take as that just the character who is just over the top.i like the show and i have to say the show is good and btw im a 20 year old guy who didnt get his first kiss until i was 18 and my sister didnt get her first kiss until she was 17(i remember she told me about it lol).so i foundchloe not kissing anyone was very real for me especailly when u dont go nowhere or do too much stuff.i dont know when some of u guys had your first kiss but i could believe chloe didnt kiss anyone.not everyone is just kissing ppl that they meet lol(no offensive)

JamesWhittle0

[16]Aug 6, 2011
    • level: 2
    I find this show very annoying! Chloe and her whole click all portray stereotypes. Also do we really need another show like Vampire Diaries?!? The thing that makes this whole show unbelievable is the illogical decisions this stupid blonde airhead tart makes.

If this show gets picked up for a second season it only proves that there are way too many vapid idiots watching teen shows in the States.

alfridavella

[17]Aug 14, 2011
    Sorry to hear that but my son and I love every second of it. :p

jack756

[18]Aug 15, 2011
    • level: 14

i have to say after all ive seen.im gone wait to see the last ep to see if i woiuld be back for this show if its pick up.i dont think im gone stick around to much longer if they keep this love story crap going and not enough info on the mythology of the show.

necro_dragoon

[19]Sep 16, 2011
    • level: 18

A lot of hatting is going on here.

I liked this show and would definitely like it back. I found the story interesting. The plot was good to me and they could have fleshed out the mythos but they could have done more of the mythos in a second season. I don't understand why a network would cancel a show because the final few episodes where low.