The Nine Lives of Chloe King Forums

ABC Family (ended 2011)

Nine Lives of Chloe King

ABCFamilyTV

[1]Jun 3, 2011
    • level: 3

Hey everyone, I'm from ABC Family and I want to make sure you've got all the details on our newest show, The Nine Lives of Chloe King! Chloe finds out she's part of a secret race with super special abilities. The race has been pushed underground by a group of assassins for hundreds and thousands of years, so everything about the race is shrouded in secrecy. Even after she learns about her new cat-like powers, Chloe has to struggle to learn more about her origins. The show will be full of clues and secrets for us to uncover and all the secrets will keep us all glued to our sears! Don't miss the premier on Tuesday, June 14 at 9/8c, only on ABC Family!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

puppybunny1

[2]Jun 14, 2011
    • level: 13

This show has potential. This poor girl went from being a Secubus on The Gates to a Catwoman with 9 lives. The blonde guy, Benjamin Stone/Alek reminds me of her love interest on the Gates Travis Caldwell/Charlie. I think that she and Travis have chemistry. They should bring him on. He definitely has that IT factor.

I think that the Assasin looks familiar. He must have been on Supernatural.

RedLocque

[3]Jun 14, 2011
    • level: 7
    First of all, let me say how great I believe it is that ABC takes an interest in knowing what we viewers truly think about the shows you put on the air, even if we don't have one of those pesky Nielsen thingamajigs. That being said, and although I admit I still haven't seen Nine Lives' pilot (that'll happen later on today), I am sensing a decided lack of ideas pouring from the minds of your script writers and creators. Please, take into account the opinions we voice through TV.com and other similar sites and use them to make a better, more intelligent television programming.

Sincerely, Manuel.

Jemadari

[4]Jun 15, 2011
    • level: 12

I really did try to watch this show but any time a character says the words "I'm tired of being the good girl" and means it I start to tune out, for one it's sloppy writing and second it's a sign of a very immature character and the straw that broke the camels back was at the club when the guy invited her to his place and she responds i'm not that wild "yet", seriously who plans on getting wild for the sake of getting wild, maybe the show picked up later but that scene was all I could take, though in all fairness I don't like most shows on ABC Family,I find them to be filled with what I believe to be excessive melodrama and exaggerated portrayals of teenage lives so the well was already poisoned

RedLocque

[5]Jun 15, 2011
    • level: 7
    Have to agree, sloppy careless writing. "Superpowers"? Yeesh! Have they thought the whole setting at all? Damn, now I have to go and read some teen book just in the hopes the original wasn't this bad.

krankie_frankie

[6]Jun 15, 2011
    • level: 11
    I wanted to like it, I really did!

However the friend of the lead (can't remember her name!) She needs to learn to stop screeching and basically be totally over the top!

To me the show is aimed at the teenage market, am I right? I know it's only been one episode so far, but it didn't exactly leave me wanting more. I will watch the second episode just because it has potential. It's whether the scriptwriters have realised that after the pilot episode.

I reckon this show will be canned very early on unless it picks up fast!

cicerocat

[7]Jun 15, 2011
    • level: 2

Teens with great looks, great clothes, great hair, and barely two-dimensions? Adults with no control over their own self-absorbed offspring, outwitted regularly by said offspring, while being relegated to the position of second string foils, and with barely one dimension? A story-line that doesn't strain the imagination and breaks no new ground, with the hippest dialogue hammered out at lightning speed so you don't see how thin and contrived it actually is (written by writers at least twenty years too old to even say the words), and the phrases "Oh My God!!!" and "It's so unfair" ringing through school corridors and fashionable teen gathering spots? A network ready to tap into a market that apparently has little or no income of its own, but is the focus of so much of its advertising (how does that work, by the way - mystifying)? That's right, folks, welcome to ABC's summer pilot season. Blink and you'll miss them. But don't worry, if the latest contrived piece of fluff gets cancelled, they'll just bring out another show where someone famous dances with someone else, or where the same famous someones cook something for famous judging whoevers, just to fill the holes that they couldn't fill with genuine entertainment. Sorry, was that too cynical?

ABCFamilyTV

[8]Jun 16, 2011

I'm sorry to hear that some of you were disappointed with the premiere but I definitely encourage you to keep watching it - i think you'll really like the series once it starts picking up! Have you seen the previews for next week?

estella87

[9]Jun 16, 2011
    • level: 14

puppybunny1 wrote:

This show has potential. This poor girl went from being a Secubus on The Gates to a Catwoman with 9 lives.

It's called "Succubus".

Anyway, I have to agree with the criticism here. This show has a LOT of room for improvement but I'm going to keep watching in order to see if it gets better.

Stuff I disagree with/didn't like:

1.) Even though some people say it was a slow premiere (yeah, the whole disco/dancing scene was a little dragged) I have to contradict them: it felt rushed. Why did those two other teenagers have to explain everything they know in 30 seconds? Why did the protagonist run off just to come back to fight and save her friend 2 minutes later? There is a lot of unnecessary "panic" in the last third of the episode, Chloe demanding answers and the Mai-story being told in an ally somewhere. Very unstylish.

2.) The "flirting" with the Alec guy (or whatever you wanna call it) was a complete waste of screentime (and creepy). Especially since he is one of the supposed good guys who helps Chloe at the end of the episode.

3.) Why did she throw herself at Brian when he came into the shop after making out with Xavier the night before? A cat in heat or something?

4.) Paul's reaction to Chloe's abilities was "that is so cool" - really?

5.) So Chloe died. Then, with 15 people standing around, she got up and ran away. And no one noticed?

6.) 5 seconds after finding out she kissed a guy to death she finds out that she is the chosen one. The pace was completely off. And that panic-feeling came back when all of a sudden something had to happen so Alec tried to make Chloe come with them.

7.) Bad guy's son falling for the cat-girl? I sincerely hope that he knows who/what she is and that it's just a play to get close to her because romeo&juliet is just so over-used these days.

8.) Assassin calls Chloe on her phone and asks her to come and she actually comes alone? Suicidal much?

9.) Why did Alec have to jump on Amy's car? That was so incredibly unnecessary. It's as if the writers wanted to remind us that he is also a Mai. The audience is not that stupid, you know?

Stuff I liked:

1.) The assassin.

2.) The fact that Chloe is not a whiny teenage girl (she was fighting! yay!)

3.) Paul & Amy - they are funny.

4.) Chloe's death. Only 8 lives to go, be careful girl.

5.) People in this show can die, that's something I did not expect from abc family (pleasant surprise).

6.) Chloe's dad sending that e-mail. Finally some mystery.

The show should decide whether it wants to be funny or thrilling because right now it tries to be both and that's not working for it. But then again, it was only the first episode so I'm looking forward to more. Might also take a look at the book

Nordan123

[10]Jun 17, 2011
    • level: 6

Reminded me of the ABC 3-part movie "Fallen" from 2006.

Underground race with special powers=fallen angels with special powers.
    Assassins killing indiscriminantly="The powers" killing offsprings of fallen angels indiscriminantly.
    Powers appearing when they're 16=powers appearing when they're 18.

Would it be so hard to make up a reason for killing them other than "we've done it for thousands of years"?

Maybe it's the kiss of death that pushed them underground and made them a paria?

Will Chloe turn herself over to the authorities for the death of Xavier?

Hooded people running aimlessly around the park? really?

Why does (almost) every TV-series have one extremely annoying person? Why can't she be funny,or in depth,or clumsy...

KazieKanizen

[11]Jun 17, 2011
    • level: 4

i like the concept of the show but the script heavily needs more mature and non-cliche dialogue(better script writers please!). I felt the pilot was kinda rushed with lots of reactionsand barely time to make each moment important.

TheTenth10

[12]Jun 18, 2011
    • level: 6
    liked it enough to watch some more episodes

M3gl0ve555

[13]Jun 21, 2011
    • level: 1
    wow, a lot of critizim here. I know I'm kind of late, but I just wanted to say, that I absolutely love this show! You guys had me hooked the first couple of minutes. I guess it could be because I'm one for one those supernatural/ forbidden romances kind of girl and the fact that I'm a teenager myself. But, I'm in Love with the show and I wait all week for it! I hope it conuties. My favorite in the show is Alec, he's gorgeous; in my opinion. Im hoping for him and Chloe get together, because he's so flirty and I love that! But, anyway, I just wanted to say that I love this show, and I think you guys are doing a great job. Keep it up, I'm a big fan!

Good luck! (:

Kitanishi

[14]Jun 22, 2011
    • level: 9
    Overall liked it.

Yes its basically poor man's Buffy(with less darkness, less angst and less interesting and less dangerous main character), but its enjoyable and its nice for once to have a female lead who is not mopey whiny bland template of a girl(*Cough*ElenaGilbert*cough*BellaSwan*cough*oliviawhateverfringe*cough*) and can actually be enjoyable to watch.

Hopefully it will last. The tv world needs more kick-ass female main characters.
    Edited on 06/22/2011 5:48am

ABCFamilyTV

[15]Jun 22, 2011

KazieKanizen, have you seen the second episode yet? I think you might like it better than the pilot - it's online now if you want to watch!

DVEight

[16]Jun 23, 2011
    • level: 5
    Watched the second episode....Dialogue didn't get much better. Still trying to figure out the demographic this show is aiming for. You have a 15 year old boy quoting movies, that were made before he was even born, trust me I have a 15 year old son that has no clue what Trainspotting, Traffic or Godfather even is. (More believable if he'd quoted video games, Saints row, Crackdown or Grand theft auto, all "drug" related and would have made a more age appropriate point) If you going for a older demographic, then have sexin' up the "young" 16 year old (shower scene) is well a little bit creepy.(looking at her bruised back in a mirror, would have had the same effect for the story) If you want this series to find its legs you really need to decide who you want to watch it. It has potential, and compliments a missing genre in the ABC family line-up, it just needs some polishing.

Penny30

[17]Jun 23, 2011
    • level: 2

I really am enjoying this show. I think it's pure entertainment and I am enjoying all the characters except for Brian. Not getting the attraction here. I know it's suppose to be the whole Romeo and Juliet thing, but I'm just not getting it. I am much more interested in the relationship between Alek and Chloe. There is much more chemistry there. My 14 year old daughter totally agrees. She kept wanting Chloe to kiss Brian so he would die already. "Brian is just so boring." She said over and over. It's alwaysentertaining to listen to a teen girl whine through a whole TV show.I heard in the books that Brian and Chloe end up together. I hope the show goes in a different direction with the triangle. Let's try to be a little more original and maybe more viewers will tune in and the show will get a second season. I mean sometimes characters work together and sometimes they don't. I remember in Veronica Mars Veronica was suppose to end up with Duncan after season one but the relationship was just so bla that they switched to the fanfavorite couple of Logan and Veronica. I really felt that was a much better fit. I hope the writers for this show figure it out before it's too late.

I am also hoping that we see her train and learn more about the Mai. I am very interested in themythologyand all the background. I look forward to the rest of the season and hopefully a second one. Alsofingerscrossed Brian doesn't make it through the season.

CortezDC

[18]Jun 23, 2011

I agree when people say that the show has potential, it does, but they tried to put too many storylines into one episode. Why couldn't Chloe get her first kiss in the second episode and deal with the problems that arose then? They could have easily introduced Brian into the second or third episode, seeing as he was barely in the first episode to begin with. If you took these two things away from the pilot, we would have had much more time to delve into what Chloe is, instead of Alek and the girl (I can't remember her name) filling her in on it at some random moment. I also think they could've avoided having her friend kidnapped, because they only did it so that both of Chloe's friends could figure out that Chloe was supernatural. It would have been better if this happened in a later episode so that it could be more of a central focus. In Buffy, Willow and Xander found out about Buffy, but it was casually built up with Xander finding her stake and later listening in to her conversation with Giles in the Library. They didn't actually find out Buffy had powers until the second episode. So far in NLOCK we learned that Chloe is a Mai, she's the Uniter, she has Nine Lives, she's never been kissed, she finally kisses a boy who ends up dead, she is pushed off a building, she meets another boy, she learns that she has supernatural abilities, she has to save one of her friends, her friends learn what she is, she gets a message from her dad, and I'm probably missing something else. In short, it was way too much to squeeze into a 40min episode. But that's my opinion, and I'm not saying the show is horrible, I just think it could be paced better. No offense to those who like it.

estella87

[19]Jun 23, 2011
    • level: 14

Nordan123 wrote:

Will Chloe turn herself over to the authorities for the death of Xavier?

And tell them what? "I kissed the guy to death"?

ABCFamilyTV

[20]Jun 24, 2011

DVEight, the goal is really for people of all ages to enjoy the series. Our tag line is "A New Kind of Family" because we want all members of today's families to be able to watch and relate to our shows. Penny30 - I'm glad you're liking it! And just because Brian and Chloe up together in the books doesn't necessarily mean they'll end up together in the show Alek and Chloe definitely have some chemistry - it's all about the will they/won't they! I appreciate both of your opinions and I really hope that you stick to the show and keep coming back here to tell me your thoughts!