The Nine Forums

ABC (ended 2007)

My theory on why this show failed...

kendahlj

[1]Nov 30, 2006
    • level: 5

I have a theory on why this show has failed...

People who may have liked this show (the ones who watch Greys Anatomy, Ugly Betty and those other soap opera type shows) figured it would be more action oriented like 24 or Prison Break so they tuned out.  Those (like me) who thought they'd get an action oriented show like 24 tuned in to get a soap opera about some boring lives and after a few episodes where nothing really happened, they got bored and tuned out.

It's too bad because there was some potential here...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

yubious

[2]Nov 30, 2006
    • level: 2
    yeh i think youre right ther, the first 4 episodes sucked real bad but it started to get somewhere in the 5th/6th episode.

TVPhan

[3]Dec 8, 2006
    • level: 2

The show didn't fail yet - It is just on hiatus, and it can still be saved.

At MediaVillage, you can Sound Off and they will send your comments to the network. They have done this before, and protested Showtime's pull of Dead Like Me off the air. Doesn't always work, but it could help. They have a poll on the site right now about whether or not The Nine should be saved, so if you love the show, go and vote, and they will send the results to ABC.

Leppie

[4]Dec 8, 2006
    • level: 8
    I think this show failed because it failed to appeal to any viewer.

The show begins with an insane amount of tension: the bank robbery scenes. We get screaming, guns, cops, the whole shebang. Suddenly we're thrown in this life drama where there is barely any plot. I have yet to see what kind of arc is developing for the characters outside the bank. They keep referring to horrible things happening "in there."

People watching for action will only enjoy the 10 bank-scene minutes. People who enjoy dramas have better choices.

Matt_Purosky

[5]Dec 12, 2006
    • level: 25
    Judging by the press release, I think the best we can hope for is for the remaining episodes to be "burnt off" over the summer, assuming they have already been paid for prior the removal of the show from the network.

Lil_Miss_Riss

[6]Dec 14, 2006
    • level: 4
    I think the people who love 'Lost' thought that this might be another drama that they 'couldn't' handle. Maybe they didn't want to hang onto another show.

I didn't like a few people, like Felicia and her family's arc and I didn't like Lizzie and the doctor's arc either. I was really interested in Kathy's and the cop. Oh and something Foote, that was just awkward. I really did like the show and it is driving me crazy as to what the h*ll happened in there! I hate it when they leave shows open... what the h*ll is that?

marcos316

[7]Jan 6, 2007
    • level: 11
    LOL I actually did tune in thinking it was going to be some big action oriented show because the trailer I saw made it appear that way. However when I watched it, it was just about some peoples lives and nothing did ever happened like you said. I don't think it was horrible though, it's just different.
    Edited on 01/06/2007 11:25am

MaStAViC

[8]Oct 24, 2007
    • level: 6

marcos316 wrote:
    LOL I actually did tune in thinking it was going to be some big action oriented show because the trailer I saw made it appear that way. However when I watched it, it was just about some peoples lives and nothing did ever happened like you said. I don't think it was horrible though, it's just different.

I know what you mean. I've only seen the first episode, but all the commercials leading up to it had all this action. My friends who watched it got bored a bit into the first episode because there just wasn't enough action for them. I am not a fan of action, but still did not follow this show after the first episode because it seemed like the writers just wanted to stretch out the story (kind of like what Lost was doing for a while).

GavinGibbons

[9]Apr 1, 2008
    • level: 29
    i really like the nine and was suprised to see it cancelled, thought it had good characters and story and i liked the way it unraveled... notice lost season 4 is doing a simalar way of telling the story of how certain survivors get of the island by flashing forward (rather than flashbacks) so it shows that the formula works