The Nine

ABC (ended 2007)

The Nine Fan Reviews (52)

• Great show canceled again.

I really like the premise of the show.
  • I thought this show was really good.. turns out, what do I know !!

I started watching this show in France, every sunday night, two episodes in a row.. unfortunately in french but still loved it. The idea of 9 people being held hostage in a bank and then bonding in life is fantastic.
    I agree with some that the execution of it was not great but maybe they should have given this show a chance!
    It had all the elements to become succesful. Great characters/actors and so much possibility for storylines.
    My personal favourites were Kim Raven and Tim Daly.

They should have turned this show into a mini-series with at least a satisfying end.. now it's keeping a lot of fans in the dark.. we will never know 'exactly' what happened in the bank.
  • We have only just had The Nine for a few episode but I already love it.

I couldn't imagine what people go through when their put in this position. I wouldn't want to go through what the people on The Nine went through. It looks scary. It's on tonight too. The ads on now LOL.
    I'm up to the episode where they find out their being followed. That's on tonight. Can't wait.
    I'm not really sure who my favourite is yet. It hasn't been on for that long so I'll just have to keep watching and find out.
    I do like Frannie and ummm another girl but I can't remember her name. Well I'll probably update this review when the season is over.
  • Something about The Nine didn't click...

4.7
    Don't get me wrong, I found The Nine interesting at times. It wasn't awful, like most of the Lost rip-offs out there. The premise was interesting: nine random people get taken hostage for 52 hours by bank robbers. What happened during those 52 hours were revealed gradually during flashbacks and how the those hours in living hell affected the people's lives were the jist of the show. Fine. Sounds good enough. But there was something or a combination of various elements which didn't flow properly. Could it be that almost nothing about the bank heist/hostage situation was revealed? The lack of action or that the characters knew more than the audience? Another problem with this show was that it didn't know what it wanted to be. Fans of shows which focus on character development like House, Grey's Anatomy or even Lost didn't tune in because they thought from the previews it would have a lot of action and fans of action shows like 24 or Prison Break *did* tune in but found themselves uninterested and changing the channel during the first 20 minutes due to the lack of action. This show had difficulty finding it's audience and deciding what it wanted to be - an action adventure with conspiracy and plot twists or a character drama focusing on how the nine people were affected by the hostage situation? I must say, I found it hard to stay focused on this show. And putting it behind Lost was a dumb move - two dramas which required you to think and that confuse you (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) back to back just wears the audience out.

I did not care for most of the characters. Nine characters and I didn't find a single one appealing or particularly fascinating. I found most of them obnoxious and to put it bluntly, stupid. Some of their actions just left me thinking "why did they do that?" Most of them were stock - they had no layers and were simply stereotypes.

We got very little answers about the bank robbery. The show, which was marketed as essentially Lost in a bank, focused on the aftermath of the bank robbery and the nine character's lives after being taken hostage rather than providing answers to what happened during the 52 hours. Were Kathryn & Lizzie raped? Was the robbery a conspiracy? Were some of the hostages actually involved with the bank robbery? We'll never know. It would have worked better as a mini-series - if it did get renewed, then where would they go from where they are now? They would either drag what happened during the bank robbery flashbacks over a few seasons or focus on the lives of the hostages and their relationships, which would have defeated the whole plot of the show.

The Nine is like every other Lost wannabe out there; there's nothing unique about it. People will forget about this one in a year. My advice if you haven't watched it? Be glad you skipped it.
  • After living through a hostage situation in a bank for over 2 days, 9 people's lives are changed. This show examined what happened inside (via flashbacks) and what happened after. Interesting idea, weak delivery.

6.7
    [Does not include episodes after "Outsiders"]
    I had high expectations for this show. The premise was interesting: a bank robbery/hostage situation that would be told in flashbacks with some twists along the way and then getting to see how the characters had changed since being released. Unfortunately, the execution of the show was not nearly as interesting.

For the most part, I was uninterested in most of what happened with these characters when they got out. The only question I had was why one of the couples broke up. This lucky got answered before ABC pulled the show. After that, I didn't really care whether or not it came back.

This show was meant to be a character show about the lives of the people that experienced the horror of being a hostage and how that changed them. I was more interested in what happened in the bank so this show never really grabbed me. Plus, how long could they really have drug out the flashbacks to explain what happened in the bank?
  • Great Show

I watched the first seven episodes and bought them and was so disappointed that it was held up and not really known if it was going to be back. I was so sad and angry now that it is back I don't want it to end. The last episode was great and gave some depth to the show.

Characters are becoming people that we are starting to care about. The show can be intense at times and take us to a point of whats next. I for one will continue to watch and I hope you do to. It really is a great show.
  • in France we have 13 episode, but it looks like the show did stop in the usa on the 7th episode. I love the show and i would really like to know if i'll might "rester sur ma faim"...

the show is on hiatus? But on abc they say that the show might be back in August? In france the show goes until the 13 episode does that mean that it's not the end of the season?
    Anyway, i can't wait to see the next episode!
    So bring it back!

6.6
    [Does not include episodes after "Outsiders"]

This show was meant to be a character show about the lives of the people that experienced the horror of being a hostage and how that changed them. I was more interested in what happened in the bank so this show never really grabbed me. Plus, how long could they have really drug out flashbacks to what happened in the bank?
  • I guess we'll never know what happened in the bank since the show is on hiatus...

6.6
    The pilot of this series was really captivating as nine individuals with separate backgrounds become hostage in a bank robbery. Through each episode we see how they cope with the robbery and we get some more information about what happened inside the bank. After going through this terrifying ordeal, the nine hostages feel that they now share a bond and they set up meetings every now and then so that they can discuss about what happened that day. With each episode we are supposed to get clues about the robbery. However, the show is now on hiatus and it is very intriguing not knowing what really went on in there. Hope they bring it back just to finish the story…
  • is it ever going to return?

WOW and i mean WOW, i've only just caught the first episode of this after hearing about it here on tv.com and it is /was amazing. will it ever return from its hiatus because i hope so because the story is captivating and original with some awesome performances by the actors. Egan Foote rules, and "thats foote with an E" hope this returns if not then i'll be constantly rewatching the six episodes that were aired! was also good to see Timothy Daily back on a tv show after wings- i used to love that show when i was younger and want to watch it again now
  • good show

Nine people, mostly strangers to each other, are linked together when they are held hostage in a bank robbery gone wrong. In each episode, viewers learn new details of the 52 hour standoff, of which only brief snippets are seen.

The Pilot episode establishes the events which the rest of the series will embellish. Two men enter the bank, armed, and quickly restrain both the security guard and an off duty police officer. Viewers see details of what brought each person to the bank that day.

Some time after the end of the standoff, the former hostages arrange a meeting with one another in an effort to stay in touch and help each other. Various characters also form relationships apart from the group and maintain regular contact with each other during the week, while others are connected through relationships that predate the events in the bank.
  • I love this show. They got us caught up in this bank holdup that could truly happen to any of us. Then they leave us hanging about what went on in there.

Each week they let us know a little bit more of what happened. They gave us insight into the different characters. Not just the victims but also the criminals that held them up. They hinted of something the cops did wrong. The different twists and turns of what went on. They need to bring it back and fill in the gaps. The bonding of all the victims and how the victims try to seek out the robbers to find answers. It's time to give the fans some answers and bring back a really good mystery of what they endured in those 52 hours. It is the best new drama in a long time. ABC needs to wake up and bring the show back.
  • This is a show that I had really become invested and was cancelled with no warning, please start this show back up or release them on dvd so we can see that rest of them. C'mon you cant treat us fans this way.

This show is great and pulls you into it, I really got a chance to watch them all online and it turned out to be a great show. So why are they not showing the remaining episodes, how can they just table this show. It was a well made show and deserved a much better fate than what it was given, and the plot twists are all over the place I cant believe you dont want to finish this season of the Nine, or at least make it available to the fans. You had a great show there, please dont give up on it.
  • Why bring back Six Degrees over the Nine?

I was excited about both of these programs and after watching both pilots I decided they were both good. I continued watching them both, but by the second episode of Six Degrees I was already bored and stopped watching it. The Nine however I watched faithfully every week. I don't understand why they would bring back Six Degrees and even be considering it for another season and not do the same for the Nine. I loved that show!! It was really intriguing and pulled you in and made you want to see what was coming next! I was liking ABC before they kicked the Nine to the curb. They were really smart about Men in Trees which is a phenomenal show!! Bring the Nine back!!!!
    Please please please bring this show back! It was so good and I looked forward to it every week. Enough reality shows! This is a winner and deserves to be seen. Great characters and writing. Please bring it back. How can you start the show and get us hooked and then pull it without telling the full story? I promise to watch and i'm sure all of the fans will too. If The Nine doesn't come back on the air then Kim Raver has to return to 24 and not be dead as they have said. Please air it. please
  • I can't believe you suck us in and then drop this show. it was interesting, it was different, it was worth the watch. let's get it together and bring it back, if only to wrap up the story lines. i'm going to boycott tv if this crap keeps happening.

• Bring it Back

• A nice story of people held together by a tragic event. Yes it took liberties with the truth but watching these people treat each other so well and stand by each other in the aftermath of the ordeal was refreshing.

A nice story of people held together by a tragic event. Yes it took liberties with the truth but watching these people treat each other so well and stand by each other in the aftermath of the ordeal was refreshing. After a bank robbery that turned into a hostage taking. The hostages developed a bond and we see them stick by each other though life on the other side of the event. First we have the ordeal of bringing the criminals to justice and then the day to day of living with the true crime fame. Some of the former hostages have to deal with suspicion that they had something to do with robbery in the first place. I defended the show with a childish zeal but I know that was silly since the show moved too slowly to make it in prime time. Since in a move I believe was intentional by the writers to avoid the fighting and gun-play of the robbery. To focus more on the characters and the out-lying stories was too slow for the general public. If you want just a simple story of good people then look for this one on dvd.
  • The Nine was the ONE REASON I went back to watching network TV. Finally a show that wasn't totally predictable. I would buy the First season on DVD if it was available.

The Nine was the very best show of the 06/07 season. Nine people learn they share a common bond that was forged when they lived through a 52-hour hostage standoff during a bank robbery that changed their lives forever. Each episode will begin with a flashback that reveals another 10 minutes of the robbery that uncovers why and how these nine strangers remains linked to each others. The Nine was created by Hank Steinberg and K.J. Steinberg for ABC. Alex Graves and Hank Steinberg are executive producers. Correction: The Nine IS the very best show of the 06/07 season!

Bring it back, give it a chance and maybe people will start watching ABC again. Otherwise people like me will just go back to non-network channels.
  • Sadly...

The Nine was awesome, a TV show with something to talk about, but sadly it got cancelled too soon... These days nothing good stays on TV for too long, I can't tell why, but The Nine should not be cancelled. The cast was just great and the story behind it was amazing...
  • Ok-ABC,U need 2listen up!U'll NEVER get a show 2catch on if u keep canceling them &/or moving their time/night slots around.I HATE reality TV.Come-on,it\\\'s mindless-based,slightly better than Springer TV & oh,yeah,appeals to Springer's audience

U're scheduling TV based on the unintelligent that are currently watching reality TV rather than trying to gain intelligent watchers like those of us who watch The Nine!Even after the stupid "Fall Finale" of Lost,WE KEPT WATCHING!Who ever heard of a "Fall Finale"?
    What happened 2airing a season of a show from Sept 2Mar/Apr w/only minor interruptions 4Special Programming?I miss the way networks scheduled a series when I was a kid.The modern way-just SUCKS!
    I kind of like the new summer season,but if u'd quit taking 1,2,&3month-long breaks,u might actually keep an audience 4a new show.At least show The Nine online.
  • The Nine is one of my favorite shows. I'm very disappointed that the show has been pulled.

The Nine needs to be given another chance to succeed. It is one of the best shows this season. I like the writing and all the characters - especially Nick (Tim Daly). I'm disappointed that ABC chose to pull this show. I looked forward to seeing it every week. The show just needs more time to find an audience. I enjoy the flashbacks as it reveals what happened during the 52 hour ordeal and why the characters are reacting the way they are in the aftermath. Perhaps ABC should just move the show to another day to help the ratings. I thought LOST as a lead-in would have helped the shows ratings but even though it hasn't I feel The Nine needs to be returned to the air soon and heavily promoted.
  • I think it deserved a chance

I was not suprised when it was cancelled. I do think however it deserved a fighting chance. The story was just starting to get interesting. Now we will never know what actually happened to everyone in the bank. I feel about the same as I did when they cancelled Reunion last season. Just a little bummed out.
  • It is ok.

6.2
    The nine is a ok TV show. But it is not the best drama on TV. The best drama is 24 or Lost. It is a little boring. I mean it is also slow. kind of like Jericho and Jericho is slow. The reason I sit threw it is becase someone form 24 plays on it. other wise I would not bother with watching. These show also needs to think Lost. Becase I didn't know it was come on. If i hadnt watched Lost. It really needs to think 24 and Lost. That is i have to say about it.
  • Liked the way they introduced each character and how they tie into each other from the shared experience. the plot was well thought out.

This one should make it through the season with out being axed. Like the characters and the way they have linked the teenager into the robbers --Great end of episode cliffhanger. Really like the way the characters interact with each other. Another nice feature of this series is the movement between past and present and the delicate balance between the characters after the trauma of the Bank robbery.
    I was worried the nine might mimic the 4400 in some ways but so far it hasn't and it doesn't copy any of the recent hits in this kind of drama. I am Optimistic it will live up to it's strong opening.
  • The Nine is a great show and has loads of potential. If only they showed more of the bank!

I am standing by this show as long as it is on. The premise is great, but it restricts the show. If the show picked up the pace a little more it would be doing much better. The bank robbery premise does not make for a long term show so the producers are stretching it out to get as many episodes as they can out of it. Other than that this show is great. The characters are well developed and are given good amounts of background information. Once again the only problem is pace. Here that producers, speed it up and you will pick up viewers otherwise the nine will not last long.
  • Honestly- I thought this should would be a new addition to my favorites list. Lately- the show has not been living up to it's hype. 9 people dealing with a tramatic event is a little, well... Boring. Where does the show plan on going??

Nine people face an unexpected twist in life when they're caught in a bank robbery and are forced to endure a 52-hour hostage stand-off -- an event that leaves several people dead. Despite going back to their "normal" lives, each member of the group comes to realize they'll likely stay linked forever. Every episode of "The Nine" will start with another 10-minute snippet of what happened inside the bank that day, slowly revealing how and why these nine strangers remain intertwined.

BRIEF HISTORY:"The Nine" is executive-produced by Hank Steinberg ("Without a Trace"), K.J. Steinberg ("Judging Amy") and Alex Graves ("The West Wing").
    STARS: * Chi McBride as Malcolm * Jessica Collins as Lizzie * Kim Raver as Kathryn * Scott Wolf as Jeremy * John Billingsley as Egan * Lourdes Benedicto as Eva * Camille Guaty as Franny * Owain Yeoman as Lucas * Dana Davis as Felicia
  • Very original and uniquely done if nothing else!

Although this may never be considered a classic any time in the near future, you still have to give this brand new drama credit for its unique plot, emotional drive, and fluid writing. I only decided to watch this show because I like Kim Raver and at first I was bored by it and wondered how it could be so exciting. Now it's tying it up bit by bit by trying to show both the past and the present events all in one episode which should make you want to come back for me. Still, I can agree with some of the naysayers in that this show can be pretty slow/boring among other things but it shouldn't be if you think about the plot and struggles of each character. The wide array of characters are something I like about it after all: a once suicidal man who becomes the hero and finds a new meaning in life due to his friends, a young adult couple, the bank teller and her amnesiac (though sometimes annoying) daughter, a good/humble cop, and a prosecuter (Kim Raver). If this show is to continue, the writing has got to keep its flow and be able to keep up with how the bit-by-bit past events tie into the present-day situations. A good suspense level like Prison Break's may also be nice.
  • How violence has a lasting effect. That is the BROAD THEME of the show's mirco-cosimic charater driven drama.

I applaud ABC for running a drama that no other show has tackled in such a way (in primetime before).
    My favorite new show where action, suspense, and TRUE daily drama of how violence has a lasting effect FINALLY portrayed on TV. This is TV's answer for the reminder that all that violence does MEAN SOMETHING!!?!!? It's so real for me to watch the aftermath of a single pivotal moment taking hold & causing internal charater struggle. That makes for good TV drama, unlike the pre-show of drama suspeniful Gilligan's Island...

I'm sure that LOST is a good show. But I don't watch it & it seems to have a plot line & theme which (pun intended) seems LOST its' self.
    I think lost was beleivable somewhat after the movie Castaway came out & started people thinking. Now with The Nine, people are thinking more about the violence which we are seeing daily. Regaurdless of either from disstant country of Iraq, Afganistan, or right down the street in a PA Amish school house. violence touchs us all. It is of concern to all Americans. It goes to the fear of daily life. This I think has bigger & better teeth to sink in & make good actual drama. I wonder about Eggan Foot though. There seems to be as much back story as there is potental charater devolpement.

I just love the show so far. Keep it up!!?!!?
  • Please..help me...i'm so bored

I watched the first two episodes. I heard great things. I ended up really bored. I was expecting some shocking twists and turns, but instead I was bored. The show isn't terrible, it just needs some a kick in the junk to get it moving. I know it's only been two episodes, but that's the time to grab the viewer. Lost grabbed us with its first five minutes. Heroes grabbed us at the end of the second episode with a huge shocking twist. I think this show is hiding it's big secrets for a later time, but i dont think i can wait that long
< 1 2