The Nine

ABC (ended 2007)

The Nine Fan Reviews (52)

• Finally! Something fresh on TV you haven't seen before several times - and it is really good!

"The Nine" is a show about nine people that became hostages in a bank-robbery. I assumed that we would see the story in a linear way, from beginning to end - maybe with some flashbacks a la "Lost". So I was very surprised to discover that the show only deals with the beginning of the robbery for about 10 minutes and then immediately cuts to the end and shows us who survives, who doesn't and also hints at the roles some of the people played during the robbery. The cast consists of some familiar faces including Chi McBride featuring an unusal character for people who know him from his previous work ("Boston Public", "House"). He's playing a rather fragile bank-manager and is nothing like his personas before. Also starring is Kim Raver (Audrey from "24") and - and he made me literally cheer when I saw him on screen - John Billingsley (best known for Dr. Phlox on "ST: Voyager" but also several guest roles as in "The West Wing"). He is portrayed as a loser in the beginning and evolves into a hero who rescued everyone in the end.
    My first thought, when I saw "the end" of the story after just 10 minutes, was: Great, how will they try to keep my interest up when I already know how it ends?! But during the pilot these doubts vanished. For one because I really want to know what the John Billingsley character did to save everyone and then - and this is the cliffhanger of the pilot - why Chi McBride's characters's daughter visits the bank-robber in prison. She seemed very traumatized and claimed not to know what happend in the last days. Also her father seems to hide what happend to her from her mother (my first guess was a rape - but why would she visit him in prison?). You see: I'm already into this series after one episode. I guess what they are going to do is show us "long flashbacks" about what happenend during the robbery.
    The show seems to be very emotional, it has to do a lot with the way the bank robbery changed every one of them and how it welded all of them together. I really like that because it offers the opportunity to create characters we really care for and there isn't one character in the pilot that I didn't like so far. Joined with the excellent work of all the actors this is a show that I really look forward to and can recommend to everyone who likes good TV!
  • Interesting show, but unfortunately, they chose the wrong format for it, it should\'ve been a movie, not a tv show.

This would make an excellent movie, a 2 1/2 hours movie, or even a minisseries, but to make it into a series, it\'s gonna be awful, every episode they are gonna give some scrap of story of what happened in the bank and some hint of how the relations changed, we already know who died and who lived, you can also have a pretty good idea of how it changed each person, because they just can\'t give a minor scrap of story in the pilot.

This show is very limited, in the middle of the season, if the show is still running, they are gonna invent new stories and ridiculous twists, like in the show \'Lost\'.

The show has a very good cast tho, good dialogue, the scenes are very badly cut, at the end of each scene looked like the episode just ended and some scenes looked fake, which just can\'t happen in a show like this.

While I was seeing the pilot, I repeat, I was thinking how this would make an excellent movie, kinda remembered me of Spike Lee\'s \'Inside Man\', instead I can see a pathetic ending for the show with them creating all sort of ridiculous things to keep it running longer, otherwise people will add \'2 + 2\' and it\'ll be very predictable.
  • I was able to get my hands on a few pilots before they premiere in the fall. I will be reviewing them over the next couple of weeks. This review is for ABC's "The Nine".

The show starts out by showing us tidbits of who our main characters are and what's going in their lives. We are introduced to a doctor, Jeremy (Scott Wolfe), and his girlfriend Lizzie (Jessica Collins) who announces that she has something important to tell Jeremy right before entering their bank to take out cash. Then there is Kathryn (Kim Raver, from one of my favorite shows “24”) an assistant district attorney, sleeping with her boss, who has to go pick up her mom at the bank. Her mom is frustrated with the bank manager Malcolm (Chi McBride), who has a teenage daughter Felicia (Dana Davis). Another man Ethan (John Billingsley) is also at the bank and is planning to commit suicide inside the bank bathroom. There are also two sisters Eva (Lourdes Benedicto) and Franny (Camille Guaty) who work at the bank. Last but not least there is Nick (Tom Daley), a police officer with a gambling problem who has a crush on Eva. We then get a glimpse of two men outside the bank planning to rob it. They discuss their plan, saying it will be fast and easy. In and out, five minutes max. We then flash 52 hours later, just as the robbery has ended. It wasn't fast and easy. Only one of the bank robbers lived (Owain Yeoman) and one of the hostages has been shot.

The rest of the episode deals with the aftermath, and shows how the robbery has changed our nine survivors since we saw them in the beginning of the episode. Many of the hostages, feeling isolated from their family and friends, are drawn to each other, which if fitting since the only other people knowing what they’re going through are the ones that were held hostage also. For a few of them, such as Ethan (the man planning to commit suicide), the incident has given them a new prospective and appreciation for their lives.

This could be the next break out show for ABC. I loved this pilot. It has the best acting of the pilots I've seen so far and has an amazing four star cast (you'll probably recognize over half of them from other television shows). All the characters are believable, and watching the change that has taken place over them from the beginning of the episode to after the robbery is enticing. Many of the characters have changed in a big way, and the audience knows that the robbery will always hold an impact on their lives.

What happened during the 52 hours is a mystery, which will be slowly revealed over the course of the season (each episode will have a ten minute flashback revealing part of what happened). What caused a functioning couple to act isolated from one another? Why was a man so full of life frozen in such a state of fear that he couldn't move when the police arrived? What horrible things happened that caused a girl to block out all recollection of the event from her mind? The answers to these questions will most likely keep viewers tuning in. The writers never make the mistake though of keeping the characters a backdrop to the mystery of what happened. The characters come first. And with such appealing characters as these that's the way it should be.

- Tim Bronx
    Find this and many other reviews at: www.motionpicturereviews.com

• Excellent format. Terrific opening episode. Those that made this show manage to actually create a sense of wishing to get to know the characters. However, it really has a limited format, very much like 24. Once the 52 hours are shown that should be it.

Some familiar and very good actors, some unkwnown, at least to me and I watch a lot of shows. The pilot really shined to the extent I\'m annoyed that I now have to wait two months or more before the show actually begins. How the pilot managed to be released this early is something I\'m sure the producers are not particularly happy with - Unless they wanted to generate a groundswell of interest. Think of how many people watch 24 or Lost etc only via the downloads after the shows have aired and you might get some idea of just how many potential viewers this show has before its air date.

I cannot agree that this would have made a good movie format. It is going to take several hours to develop the characters and tell their stories and that of the 52 hours in the bank. A movie could have told a good story, but nothing like what this can be as a set length series on TV.

My view was the format was refreshing, nothing like most current dramas and there are some very good dramas out there right now. The quality of TV has improved markedly in the last couple of years, even if shows have to be shown on cable to be even a little adult or have any edge because of the US\'s ridiculus censorship system.

I have a fear that the series could easily not live up to the pilot but that will depend on the writers I guess. They managed a pretty big impact in the pilot and it will be difficult to top this first episode, so my guess is there will be some that are dissappointed as the show actually develops simply because it will not be able to match the pilot each week. I, for one, will be happy to watch to see just how well the show manages.

• I\'ve heard this plot before...

I\'ve heard this plot before... Ummm yeah it was REUNION only difference every episode was a year, it was goood i hope this show don get axe \'cause it reminds me to Reunion. I have to say i would\'ve been better as one season show, mini-serie or movie. Its great plot with the robbery thing also have that LOST thing that i love. Needs fine tuning cuz maybe they\'ll have a strong competition. MISS WB lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol cya all. Dont forget to watch SUPERNATURAL. , , ,
  • 9 people in a robbery, who cares!!!

I\\\\\\\'ve actually already seen this, except it was called \\\\\\\"S.F.W.\\\\\\\", starred Reese Witherspoon and Stephen Dorff, and used the fact that the entire hostage situation was on video, in order to get around the \\\\\\\"flashbacks\\\\\\\". It wasn\\\\\\\'t that good then, and I somehow doubt it\\\\\\\'ll be all that good this time around either.This show is trying to compete with LOST with all of its mystries and suspense, but how long can a show like this stay on for. It is stupid and it is right after LOST and every show that aired after LOST got cancled. They even are showing flashbacks witch is the #1 LOST did that made it so popular. This show is trying to be the new LOST and I hope it gets cancled for that.
  • i don\'t know about you but i personally think that the pilot episode just sucked

3.9
    seriously. the beginning was good. but the rest of it sucked. who really cares. they didn\'t even show what happened. granted that they will prob show what happened in the upcoming episodes but it was just stupid. who cares what they do afterwards. and the next episode is supposed to show that there was some sort of conspiracy??? come on. this is ridiculous and just stupid
  • Very Promising

The Nine is a show about 9 surviving hostages of a bank robbery. This show showed alot of potential tonight. The only minor issue to me will be all of the "relationships" that seem to be forming. I am going to give it a few episodes and see how it plays out first. The was plenty of mystery, suspense and creativity. I can't wait to see what happens next. The episode ended with quite a cliffhanger and I am very interestedto see how that plays out.
  • Is it Grey\'s Anatomy or Lost??

The opening was well played out and acted. It created an amazing sense of mystery and you immedietly felt these charachters were bonded, almost as a family. All of that worked on every level... are first.

But as the Pilot moved, on you were quickly left asking, where are they going with this?

- Is this simply a friends and \"family\" drama, with \'the nine\' bonding and interacting in each other\'s personal lives now? (if that is true I have no further interest)

- Or is there some kind of mystery burried here, Lost style, which is going to slowly reveal itself?

I guess I am forced to watch the next ep. to find the answer. And while I do like some of these characters, something better start happening in that bank or I am out of here.
  • When nine complete strangers enter a bank one unlucky afternoon they end up the hostages of a 52-hour bank hold up. In the end of the robbery, those nine strangers have forged an unbreakable bond with each other.

This show will blow your mind! I smell the next Prison break/lost coming on. I could promise you that this is going be the hit of the season. Unless somewhere along the way the writers drop the ball, theres no way this show can fail. Nine strangers: A Cop, A doctor, A nurse, A Distert Attorny, A succidal guy, A bank Manger, The bank Managers daughter, and a bank teller. All get stuck in a 52 bank robbery, by the time they are freed, those nine strangers are now best friends. Every episode will start with a flashback to the bank revealing ten minutes of what exactly happend unside that bank I'm looking forward to watching this show and I do hope it doesn't fail. cause it has lots of potental.
  • It kept me tuned in for the whole show.

I think this show has a lot of potential, but it will depend on the writers to keep us interested for the long run. After all, at some point, we're going to have the general idea of what happened in the bank, and the mystery will wear off, and then it will just depend on how much we've fallen in love with the characters. I thought that Scott Wolf's character and his girlfriend who is pregnant with his baby was an interesting storyline, but I was sad to see that he already has low morals to hop in bed with the sister of the deceased girl. I can appreciate that maybe he's unhappy in his relationship, that she was in mourning, I can understand how it happened, just not sure that I liked where that went. But it seems that the writers are not going to make a big deal of that with the way that the sister showed up for dinner at the end, all nonchalant and as if nothing took place between her and him.

I also must say, the scene where it showed Malcolm, the bank manager and father, riveted to his seat with a stone face, his arms spread out, as if all he could do was sit there and focus his entire being on protecting his daughter, who was stashed under the desk behind him - I thought that was a very powerful scene, very moving.

My verdict for "The Nine?" Definitely a better follow-up to "Lost" than "Invasion," but I just don't know how long it will last. We'll see!
  • Nine people share in experiance of a bank robbery. A great show begins

This show got me from the very beginning. This show is just like lost but takes place in reality. You see right before a bank robbery, and right after it ends. The story continues from there. I'm sure as the season goes on we'll learn what really happened in the bank in flashbacks. The main thing about this series is how the hostages cope with what happened in the bank and how it effects their lives, in both good and bad ways. Anyone who likes a great story and major character development should watch this show.
    Also the cast is great. From Timothy Daly playing Nick Cavanaugh a cop to Kim Raver playing Kathryn Hale a district attorny, also there's Scott Wolf. This was a great episode and it looks like it's going to be a great series.
  • The Nine sizzled in its premire.

This could turn out to be one of the best new shows of the season. The premise is actually new which is amazingly refreshing. The viewer is caught up in wanting to know just what happened to each of the nine hostages for the 50 some hours they were held in the bank. Whatever happened, its interesting that all of them seem to have bonded in a very special way. Tim Daly is an excellent choice for the (somewhat flawed) policeman, Nick. Kim Raver is so much more lovely in this series than she was in 24. Lighting, makeup, hairstyle, wardrobe? Scott Wolf seems perfectly cast as the doctor, Jeremy. One of the most fasinating characters may prove to be John Billingsley as Egan Fotte. This actor has played awsome bad guys in the past in The Practice and more recently in Cold Case. It was a surprising ending hook to have the young girl, Felicia, go to see one of the bank robbers in jail! Can't wait for next Wednesday.
  • This show is original and I hope ABC sticks with it. Great Cast, Great Storytelling.

I thought the pilot was great. I can not wait to see what happened as this story unfolds. I thought it was a unique concept. I have to wonder what show, some of the other "reviewers" were watching. Because this show was great, excellent casting and good story telling. I have been telling everyone to watch. And every show that has "flash-backs" is not a rip off of "Lost". I mean "Cold Case" was using flashbacks before lost.
  • Unfortunately, I was hugely disappointed with this show. I do not plan to tune in next week.

5.5
    I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. I had to convince myself to keep watching the entire episode, that it might get better, but for me, it just didn't. The only possible interest I took in the show was the possiblity of a romance between Kim Raver's character and Tim Daly's character. John Billingsley's character (Egan) was SOOO annoying. I don't think I could watch the show in the future just because of him. In any case, I hope the show does well because there does seem to be a lot of people who love the show. I really don't understand though how the show could last for a few years based on an event that has happened at the beginning or the series.
  • My new favorite show! I think it is going to get better every week!! I can't believe that twist at the end! WOW

I am hooked on this new drama. I have to admit, after the premiere I wasn't sure how this show was going to play out. But I stuck around and gave the second episode a chance... and I am so glad I did! I think this show is amazing ... intelligent writing and acting (Kim Raver and Tim Daly are great)... what more could you ask for? If you missed the second episode I would strongly suggest watching it online. The only problem is we have to wait a whole week to find out if Randall is dead? This is so exciting!!
  • I don't get it.

when I heard about The Nine I thought is was going to be a great show. Don't get me wrong its not a terrible show but I don't know how they are going to keep it up. So far I haved been bored out of my mind. I keep watching the show hoping that it will get better but so far its hasn't. I just don't understand what else they are going to give or brink to the show to keep people watchings it. Whatever they are doing its not doing it form me so I give the show a 5.
  • Jeremy Kates killed the bank robber after he couldnt bring back alive one of the hostages by performing surgery. Jeremy also ended the affair he had with Franny that his girlfriend thats pregnant doesnt know about. But Jeremy doesn't know she is pregnant.

First of all....I am a huge fan of this show.Its original and entertaining.Though some parts can be dull, still alot of times I am on my toes wondering whats going to happen next. Felicia Jones so far is my favorite story line but I am a huge fan of Scott Wolf. Him getting this show is a huge boost for his acting career seeing as how Bailey Salinger in Party of Five is totally different than Jeremy Kates in The Nine. Also Camille Guaty was outstanding when her sister died infront of her. Her acting ability is way better than "Gotta kick it up" made it out to be. Ladies and Gentlemen I give this show two thumbs way way up. But I'm wondering how its going to end???
  • Yes!!! Thank you who ever came with the idea where have you been this past televison years woohoo!

The show is fantastic omfg lmao lol this is one of those shows that keep getting better and better you people are probaly say to yourself \"why did i watch that show?\" ill tell you why because it was addicting and nothing will amaze you again after you thought the show is stinky well guess what your gonna come right back to it and watch it again and again dont tell us it was crapy!!!!!cause it isn\'t!
  • One of the most original ideas yet, not your classic lame drams over and over again. One of the best new shows out there!!

I do like this show, just not sure how long it will survive though. I mean how are they going to keep this up year after year. I mean it does have a good storyline and interesting characters. Right now it keeps you guessing cause they're slowing releasing the scene of the bank robbery. The Nine is a good show for right now, but I do agree I don't see how they're going to keep the show up in future years if it's going to survive. I'm sure the writers and producers have a way to keep this up. That's why they're paid the big bucks.
  • Boring and somewhat ridiculous

2.2
    I didn\'t see the first two episodes but I thought the third installment was so boring I changed the channel 2/3 of the way through. The corny (very unrealistic) scene of sliding the cellphone back and forth across the bank floor told me that the writing is at best second rate.
  • The Nine is a "TEN"...The best thing on TV in quite a while.

I am very impressed with "The Nine". It is exciting, spellbinding and intense. The characters are developing in great detail, which is rare on a tv show. The directing is superb. The acting is top-notch. And the writing is just short of brilliant. It has been a long time since I have enjoyed a show this much, which probably means it will be off the air by the end of the season. I would encourage everyone to watch this show and give it a chance. Cutting edge tv like this MUST be applauded and it MUST survive. Seldom do we get the chance to see television at its best, but this show gives us that chance. Enough with the "Reality TV"...This is "Real Drama" at its best. I sincely hope that the standard that this show has set for itself is maintained throughout the season.
  • Please..help me...i'm so bored

I watched the first two episodes. I heard great things. I ended up really bored. I was expecting some shocking twists and turns, but instead I was bored. The show isn't terrible, it just needs some a kick in the junk to get it moving. I know it's only been two episodes, but that's the time to grab the viewer. Lost grabbed us with its first five minutes. Heroes grabbed us at the end of the second episode with a huge shocking twist. I think this show is hiding it's big secrets for a later time, but i dont think i can wait that long
  • How violence has a lasting effect. That is the BROAD THEME of the show's mirco-cosimic charater driven drama.

I applaud ABC for running a drama that no other show has tackled in such a way (in primetime before).
    My favorite new show where action, suspense, and TRUE daily drama of how violence has a lasting effect FINALLY portrayed on TV. This is TV's answer for the reminder that all that violence does MEAN SOMETHING!!?!!? It's so real for me to watch the aftermath of a single pivotal moment taking hold & causing internal charater struggle. That makes for good TV drama, unlike the pre-show of drama suspeniful Gilligan's Island...

I'm sure that LOST is a good show. But I don't watch it & it seems to have a plot line & theme which (pun intended) seems LOST its' self.
    I think lost was beleivable somewhat after the movie Castaway came out & started people thinking. Now with The Nine, people are thinking more about the violence which we are seeing daily. Regaurdless of either from disstant country of Iraq, Afganistan, or right down the street in a PA Amish school house. violence touchs us all. It is of concern to all Americans. It goes to the fear of daily life. This I think has bigger & better teeth to sink in & make good actual drama. I wonder about Eggan Foot though. There seems to be as much back story as there is potental charater devolpement.

I just love the show so far. Keep it up!!?!!?
  • Very original and uniquely done if nothing else!

Although this may never be considered a classic any time in the near future, you still have to give this brand new drama credit for its unique plot, emotional drive, and fluid writing. I only decided to watch this show because I like Kim Raver and at first I was bored by it and wondered how it could be so exciting. Now it's tying it up bit by bit by trying to show both the past and the present events all in one episode which should make you want to come back for me. Still, I can agree with some of the naysayers in that this show can be pretty slow/boring among other things but it shouldn't be if you think about the plot and struggles of each character. The wide array of characters are something I like about it after all: a once suicidal man who becomes the hero and finds a new meaning in life due to his friends, a young adult couple, the bank teller and her amnesiac (though sometimes annoying) daughter, a good/humble cop, and a prosecuter (Kim Raver). If this show is to continue, the writing has got to keep its flow and be able to keep up with how the bit-by-bit past events tie into the present-day situations. A good suspense level like Prison Break's may also be nice.
  • Honestly- I thought this should would be a new addition to my favorites list. Lately- the show has not been living up to it's hype. 9 people dealing with a tramatic event is a little, well... Boring. Where does the show plan on going??

Nine people face an unexpected twist in life when they're caught in a bank robbery and are forced to endure a 52-hour hostage stand-off -- an event that leaves several people dead. Despite going back to their "normal" lives, each member of the group comes to realize they'll likely stay linked forever. Every episode of "The Nine" will start with another 10-minute snippet of what happened inside the bank that day, slowly revealing how and why these nine strangers remain intertwined.

BRIEF HISTORY:"The Nine" is executive-produced by Hank Steinberg ("Without a Trace"), K.J. Steinberg ("Judging Amy") and Alex Graves ("The West Wing").
    STARS: * Chi McBride as Malcolm * Jessica Collins as Lizzie * Kim Raver as Kathryn * Scott Wolf as Jeremy * John Billingsley as Egan * Lourdes Benedicto as Eva * Camille Guaty as Franny * Owain Yeoman as Lucas * Dana Davis as Felicia
  • The Nine is a great show and has loads of potential. If only they showed more of the bank!

I am standing by this show as long as it is on. The premise is great, but it restricts the show. If the show picked up the pace a little more it would be doing much better. The bank robbery premise does not make for a long term show so the producers are stretching it out to get as many episodes as they can out of it. Other than that this show is great. The characters are well developed and are given good amounts of background information. Once again the only problem is pace. Here that producers, speed it up and you will pick up viewers otherwise the nine will not last long.
  • Liked the way they introduced each character and how they tie into each other from the shared experience. the plot was well thought out.

This one should make it through the season with out being axed. Like the characters and the way they have linked the teenager into the robbers --Great end of episode cliffhanger. Really like the way the characters interact with each other. Another nice feature of this series is the movement between past and present and the delicate balance between the characters after the trauma of the Bank robbery.
    I was worried the nine might mimic the 4400 in some ways but so far it hasn't and it doesn't copy any of the recent hits in this kind of drama. I am Optimistic it will live up to it's strong opening.
  • It is ok.

6.2
    The nine is a ok TV show. But it is not the best drama on TV. The best drama is 24 or Lost. It is a little boring. I mean it is also slow. kind of like Jericho and Jericho is slow. The reason I sit threw it is becase someone form 24 plays on it. other wise I would not bother with watching. These show also needs to think Lost. Becase I didn't know it was come on. If i hadnt watched Lost. It really needs to think 24 and Lost. That is i have to say about it.
  • I think it deserved a chance

I was not suprised when it was cancelled. I do think however it deserved a fighting chance. The story was just starting to get interesting. Now we will never know what actually happened to everyone in the bank. I feel about the same as I did when they cancelled Reunion last season. Just a little bummed out.
< 1 2