The Nine

ABC (ended 2007)

The Nine Fan Reviews (52)

• I thought this show was really good.. turns out, what do I know !!

I started watching this show in France, every sunday night, two episodes in a row.. unfortunately in french but still loved it. The idea of 9 people being held hostage in a bank and then bonding in life is fantastic.
    I agree with some that the execution of it was not great but maybe they should have given this show a chance!
    It had all the elements to become succesful. Great characters/actors and so much possibility for storylines.
    My personal favourites were Kim Raven and Tim Daly.

They should have turned this show into a mini-series with at least a satisfying end.. now it's keeping a lot of fans in the dark.. we will never know 'exactly' what happened in the bank.
  • Finally! Something fresh on TV you haven't seen before several times - and it is really good!

"The Nine" is a show about nine people that became hostages in a bank-robbery. I assumed that we would see the story in a linear way, from beginning to end - maybe with some flashbacks a la "Lost". So I was very surprised to discover that the show only deals with the beginning of the robbery for about 10 minutes and then immediately cuts to the end and shows us who survives, who doesn't and also hints at the roles some of the people played during the robbery. The cast consists of some familiar faces including Chi McBride featuring an unusal character for people who know him from his previous work ("Boston Public", "House"). He's playing a rather fragile bank-manager and is nothing like his personas before. Also starring is Kim Raver (Audrey from "24") and - and he made me literally cheer when I saw him on screen - John Billingsley (best known for Dr. Phlox on "ST: Voyager" but also several guest roles as in "The West Wing"). He is portrayed as a loser in the beginning and evolves into a hero who rescued everyone in the end.
    My first thought, when I saw "the end" of the story after just 10 minutes, was: Great, how will they try to keep my interest up when I already know how it ends?! But during the pilot these doubts vanished. For one because I really want to know what the John Billingsley character did to save everyone and then - and this is the cliffhanger of the pilot - why Chi McBride's characters's daughter visits the bank-robber in prison. She seemed very traumatized and claimed not to know what happend in the last days. Also her father seems to hide what happend to her from her mother (my first guess was a rape - but why would she visit him in prison?). You see: I'm already into this series after one episode. I guess what they are going to do is show us "long flashbacks" about what happenend during the robbery.
    The show seems to be very emotional, it has to do a lot with the way the bank robbery changed every one of them and how it welded all of them together. I really like that because it offers the opportunity to create characters we really care for and there isn't one character in the pilot that I didn't like so far. Joined with the excellent work of all the actors this is a show that I really look forward to and can recommend to everyone who likes good TV!
  • Excellent format. Terrific opening episode. Those that made this show manage to actually create a sense of wishing to get to know the characters. However, it really has a limited format, very much like 24. Once the 52 hours are shown that should be it.

Some familiar and very good actors, some unkwnown, at least to me and I watch a lot of shows. The pilot really shined to the extent I\'m annoyed that I now have to wait two months or more before the show actually begins. How the pilot managed to be released this early is something I\'m sure the producers are not particularly happy with - Unless they wanted to generate a groundswell of interest. Think of how many people watch 24 or Lost etc only via the downloads after the shows have aired and you might get some idea of just how many potential viewers this show has before its air date.

I cannot agree that this would have made a good movie format. It is going to take several hours to develop the characters and tell their stories and that of the 52 hours in the bank. A movie could have told a good story, but nothing like what this can be as a set length series on TV.

My view was the format was refreshing, nothing like most current dramas and there are some very good dramas out there right now. The quality of TV has improved markedly in the last couple of years, even if shows have to be shown on cable to be even a little adult or have any edge because of the US\'s ridiculus censorship system.

I have a fear that the series could easily not live up to the pilot but that will depend on the writers I guess. They managed a pretty big impact in the pilot and it will be difficult to top this first episode, so my guess is there will be some that are dissappointed as the show actually develops simply because it will not be able to match the pilot each week. I, for one, will be happy to watch to see just how well the show manages.

• We have only just had The Nine for a few episode but I already love it.

I couldn't imagine what people go through when their put in this position. I wouldn't want to go through what the people on The Nine went through. It looks scary. It's on tonight too. The ads on now LOL.
    I'm up to the episode where they find out their being followed. That's on tonight. Can't wait.
    I'm not really sure who my favourite is yet. It hasn't been on for that long so I'll just have to keep watching and find out.
    I do like Frannie and ummm another girl but I can't remember her name. Well I'll probably update this review when the season is over.
  • is it ever going to return?

WOW and i mean WOW, i've only just caught the first episode of this after hearing about it here on and it is /was amazing. will it ever return from its hiatus because i hope so because the story is captivating and original with some awesome performances by the actors. Egan Foote rules, and "thats foote with an E" hope this returns if not then i'll be constantly rewatching the six episodes that were aired! was also good to see Timothy Daily back on a tv show after wings- i used to love that show when i was younger and want to watch it again now
  • Yes!!! Thank you who ever came with the idea where have you been this past televison years woohoo!

The show is fantastic omfg lmao lol this is one of those shows that keep getting better and better you people are probaly say to yourself \"why did i watch that show?\" ill tell you why because it was addicting and nothing will amaze you again after you thought the show is stinky well guess what your gonna come right back to it and watch it again and again dont tell us it was crapy!!!!!cause it isn\'t!
  • This show is original and I hope ABC sticks with it. Great Cast, Great Storytelling.

I thought the pilot was great. I can not wait to see what happened as this story unfolds. I thought it was a unique concept. I have to wonder what show, some of the other "reviewers" were watching. Because this show was great, excellent casting and good story telling. I have been telling everyone to watch. And every show that has "flash-backs" is not a rip off of "Lost". I mean "Cold Case" was using flashbacks before lost.
  • Very Promising

The Nine is a show about 9 surviving hostages of a bank robbery. This show showed alot of potential tonight. The only minor issue to me will be all of the "relationships" that seem to be forming. I am going to give it a few episodes and see how it plays out first. The was plenty of mystery, suspense and creativity. I can't wait to see what happens next. The episode ended with quite a cliffhanger and I am very interestedto see how that plays out.
  • When nine complete strangers enter a bank one unlucky afternoon they end up the hostages of a 52-hour bank hold up. In the end of the robbery, those nine strangers have forged an unbreakable bond with each other.

This show will blow your mind! I smell the next Prison break/lost coming on. I could promise you that this is going be the hit of the season. Unless somewhere along the way the writers drop the ball, theres no way this show can fail. Nine strangers: A Cop, A doctor, A nurse, A Distert Attorny, A succidal guy, A bank Manger, The bank Managers daughter, and a bank teller. All get stuck in a 52 bank robbery, by the time they are freed, those nine strangers are now best friends. Every episode will start with a flashback to the bank revealing ten minutes of what exactly happend unside that bank I'm looking forward to watching this show and I do hope it doesn't fail. cause it has lots of potental.
  • The Nine is a great show and has loads of potential. If only they showed more of the bank!

I am standing by this show as long as it is on. The premise is great, but it restricts the show. If the show picked up the pace a little more it would be doing much better. The bank robbery premise does not make for a long term show so the producers are stretching it out to get as many episodes as they can out of it. Other than that this show is great. The characters are well developed and are given good amounts of background information. Once again the only problem is pace. Here that producers, speed it up and you will pick up viewers otherwise the nine will not last long.
  • I was able to get my hands on a few pilots before they premiere in the fall. I will be reviewing them over the next couple of weeks. This review is for ABC's "The Nine".

The show starts out by showing us tidbits of who our main characters are and what's going in their lives. We are introduced to a doctor, Jeremy (Scott Wolfe), and his girlfriend Lizzie (Jessica Collins) who announces that she has something important to tell Jeremy right before entering their bank to take out cash. Then there is Kathryn (Kim Raver, from one of my favorite shows “24”) an assistant district attorney, sleeping with her boss, who has to go pick up her mom at the bank. Her mom is frustrated with the bank manager Malcolm (Chi McBride), who has a teenage daughter Felicia (Dana Davis). Another man Ethan (John Billingsley) is also at the bank and is planning to commit suicide inside the bank bathroom. There are also two sisters Eva (Lourdes Benedicto) and Franny (Camille Guaty) who work at the bank. Last but not least there is Nick (Tom Daley), a police officer with a gambling problem who has a crush on Eva. We then get a glimpse of two men outside the bank planning to rob it. They discuss their plan, saying it will be fast and easy. In and out, five minutes max. We then flash 52 hours later, just as the robbery has ended. It wasn't fast and easy. Only one of the bank robbers lived (Owain Yeoman) and one of the hostages has been shot.

The rest of the episode deals with the aftermath, and shows how the robbery has changed our nine survivors since we saw them in the beginning of the episode. Many of the hostages, feeling isolated from their family and friends, are drawn to each other, which if fitting since the only other people knowing what they’re going through are the ones that were held hostage also. For a few of them, such as Ethan (the man planning to commit suicide), the incident has given them a new prospective and appreciation for their lives.

This could be the next break out show for ABC. I loved this pilot. It has the best acting of the pilots I've seen so far and has an amazing four star cast (you'll probably recognize over half of them from other television shows). All the characters are believable, and watching the change that has taken place over them from the beginning of the episode to after the robbery is enticing. Many of the characters have changed in a big way, and the audience knows that the robbery will always hold an impact on their lives.

What happened during the 52 hours is a mystery, which will be slowly revealed over the course of the season (each episode will have a ten minute flashback revealing part of what happened). What caused a functioning couple to act isolated from one another? Why was a man so full of life frozen in such a state of fear that he couldn't move when the police arrived? What horrible things happened that caused a girl to block out all recollection of the event from her mind? The answers to these questions will most likely keep viewers tuning in. The writers never make the mistake though of keeping the characters a backdrop to the mystery of what happened. The characters come first. And with such appealing characters as these that's the way it should be.

- Tim Bronx
    Find this and many other reviews at:

• I guess we'll never know what happened in the bank since the show is on hiatus...

The pilot of this series was really captivating as nine individuals with separate backgrounds become hostage in a bank robbery. Through each episode we see how they cope with the robbery and we get some more information about what happened inside the bank. After going through this terrifying ordeal, the nine hostages feel that they now share a bond and they set up meetings every now and then so that they can discuss about what happened that day. With each episode we are supposed to get clues about the robbery. However, the show is now on hiatus and it is very intriguing not knowing what really went on in there. Hope they bring it back just to finish the story…
  • Is it Grey\'s Anatomy or Lost??

The opening was well played out and acted. It created an amazing sense of mystery and you immedietly felt these charachters were bonded, almost as a family. All of that worked on every level... are first.

But as the Pilot moved, on you were quickly left asking, where are they going with this?

- Is this simply a friends and \"family\" drama, with \'the nine\' bonding and interacting in each other\'s personal lives now? (if that is true I have no further interest)

- Or is there some kind of mystery burried here, Lost style, which is going to slowly reveal itself?

I guess I am forced to watch the next ep. to find the answer. And while I do like some of these characters, something better start happening in that bank or I am out of here.
  • Great Show

I watched the first seven episodes and bought them and was so disappointed that it was held up and not really known if it was going to be back. I was so sad and angry now that it is back I don't want it to end. The last episode was great and gave some depth to the show.

Characters are becoming people that we are starting to care about. The show can be intense at times and take us to a point of whats next. I for one will continue to watch and I hope you do to. It really is a great show.
  • I love this show. They got us caught up in this bank holdup that could truly happen to any of us. Then they leave us hanging about what went on in there.

Each week they let us know a little bit more of what happened. They gave us insight into the different characters. Not just the victims but also the criminals that held them up. They hinted of something the cops did wrong. The different twists and turns of what went on. They need to bring it back and fill in the gaps. The bonding of all the victims and how the victims try to seek out the robbers to find answers. It's time to give the fans some answers and bring back a really good mystery of what they endured in those 52 hours. It is the best new drama in a long time. ABC needs to wake up and bring the show back.
  • Why bring back Six Degrees over the Nine?

I was excited about both of these programs and after watching both pilots I decided they were both good. I continued watching them both, but by the second episode of Six Degrees I was already bored and stopped watching it. The Nine however I watched faithfully every week. I don't understand why they would bring back Six Degrees and even be considering it for another season and not do the same for the Nine. I loved that show!! It was really intriguing and pulled you in and made you want to see what was coming next! I was liking ABC before they kicked the Nine to the curb. They were really smart about Men in Trees which is a phenomenal show!! Bring the Nine back!!!!
    Please please please bring this show back! It was so good and I looked forward to it every week. Enough reality shows! This is a winner and deserves to be seen. Great characters and writing. Please bring it back. How can you start the show and get us hooked and then pull it without telling the full story? I promise to watch and i'm sure all of the fans will too. If The Nine doesn't come back on the air then Kim Raver has to return to 24 and not be dead as they have said. Please air it. please

I can't believe you suck us in and then drop this show. it was interesting, it was different, it was worth the watch. let's get it together and bring it back, if only to wrap up the story lines. i'm going to boycott tv if this crap keeps happening.
  • Bring it Back

Nine people, mostly strangers to each other, are linked together when they are held hostage in a bank robbery gone wrong. In each episode, viewers learn new details of the 52 hour standoff, of which only brief snippets are seen.

The Pilot episode establishes the events which the rest of the series will embellish. Two men enter the bank, armed, and quickly restrain both the security guard and an off duty police officer. Viewers see details of what brought each person to the bank that day.

Some time after the end of the standoff, the former hostages arrange a meeting with one another in an effort to stay in touch and help each other. Various characters also form relationships apart from the group and maintain regular contact with each other during the week, while others are connected through relationships that predate the events in the bank.
  • The Nine was the ONE REASON I went back to watching network TV. Finally a show that wasn't totally predictable. I would buy the First season on DVD if it was available.

The Nine was the very best show of the 06/07 season. Nine people learn they share a common bond that was forged when they lived through a 52-hour hostage standoff during a bank robbery that changed their lives forever. Each episode will begin with a flashback that reveals another 10 minutes of the robbery that uncovers why and how these nine strangers remains linked to each others. The Nine was created by Hank Steinberg and K.J. Steinberg for ABC. Alex Graves and Hank Steinberg are executive producers. Correction: The Nine IS the very best show of the 06/07 season!

Bring it back, give it a chance and maybe people will start watching ABC again. Otherwise people like me will just go back to non-network channels.
  • Sadly...

The Nine was awesome, a TV show with something to talk about, but sadly it got cancelled too soon... These days nothing good stays on TV for too long, I can't tell why, but The Nine should not be cancelled. The cast was just great and the story behind it was amazing...
  • Ok-ABC,U need 2listen up!U'll NEVER get a show 2catch on if u keep canceling them &/or moving their time/night slots around.I HATE reality TV.Come-on,it\\\'s mindless-based,slightly better than Springer TV & oh,yeah,appeals to Springer's audience

U're scheduling TV based on the unintelligent that are currently watching reality TV rather than trying to gain intelligent watchers like those of us who watch The Nine!Even after the stupid "Fall Finale" of Lost,WE KEPT WATCHING!Who ever heard of a "Fall Finale"?
    What happened 2airing a season of a show from Sept 2Mar/Apr w/only minor interruptions 4Special Programming?I miss the way networks scheduled a series when I was a kid.The modern way-just SUCKS!
    I kind of like the new summer season,but if u'd quit taking 1,2,&3month-long breaks,u might actually keep an audience 4a new show.At least show The Nine online.
  • The Nine is one of my favorite shows. I'm very disappointed that the show has been pulled.

The Nine needs to be given another chance to succeed. It is one of the best shows this season. I like the writing and all the characters - especially Nick (Tim Daly). I'm disappointed that ABC chose to pull this show. I looked forward to seeing it every week. The show just needs more time to find an audience. I enjoy the flashbacks as it reveals what happened during the 52 hour ordeal and why the characters are reacting the way they are in the aftermath. Perhaps ABC should just move the show to another day to help the ratings. I thought LOST as a lead-in would have helped the shows ratings but even though it hasn't I feel The Nine needs to be returned to the air soon and heavily promoted.
  • How violence has a lasting effect. That is the BROAD THEME of the show's mirco-cosimic charater driven drama.

I applaud ABC for running a drama that no other show has tackled in such a way (in primetime before).
    My favorite new show where action, suspense, and TRUE daily drama of how violence has a lasting effect FINALLY portrayed on TV. This is TV's answer for the reminder that all that violence does MEAN SOMETHING!!?!!? It's so real for me to watch the aftermath of a single pivotal moment taking hold & causing internal charater struggle. That makes for good TV drama, unlike the pre-show of drama suspeniful Gilligan's Island...

I'm sure that LOST is a good show. But I don't watch it & it seems to have a plot line & theme which (pun intended) seems LOST its' self.
    I think lost was beleivable somewhat after the movie Castaway came out & started people thinking. Now with The Nine, people are thinking more about the violence which we are seeing daily. Regaurdless of either from disstant country of Iraq, Afganistan, or right down the street in a PA Amish school house. violence touchs us all. It is of concern to all Americans. It goes to the fear of daily life. This I think has bigger & better teeth to sink in & make good actual drama. I wonder about Eggan Foot though. There seems to be as much back story as there is potental charater devolpement.

I just love the show so far. Keep it up!!?!!?
  • The Nine sizzled in its premire.

This could turn out to be one of the best new shows of the season. The premise is actually new which is amazingly refreshing. The viewer is caught up in wanting to know just what happened to each of the nine hostages for the 50 some hours they were held in the bank. Whatever happened, its interesting that all of them seem to have bonded in a very special way. Tim Daly is an excellent choice for the (somewhat flawed) policeman, Nick. Kim Raver is so much more lovely in this series than she was in 24. Lighting, makeup, hairstyle, wardrobe? Scott Wolf seems perfectly cast as the doctor, Jeremy. One of the most fasinating characters may prove to be John Billingsley as Egan Fotte. This actor has played awsome bad guys in the past in The Practice and more recently in Cold Case. It was a surprising ending hook to have the young girl, Felicia, go to see one of the bank robbers in jail! Can't wait for next Wednesday.
  • Nine people share in experiance of a bank robbery. A great show begins

This show got me from the very beginning. This show is just like lost but takes place in reality. You see right before a bank robbery, and right after it ends. The story continues from there. I'm sure as the season goes on we'll learn what really happened in the bank in flashbacks. The main thing about this series is how the hostages cope with what happened in the bank and how it effects their lives, in both good and bad ways. Anyone who likes a great story and major character development should watch this show.
    Also the cast is great. From Timothy Daly playing Nick Cavanaugh a cop to Kim Raver playing Kathryn Hale a district attorny, also there's Scott Wolf. This was a great episode and it looks like it's going to be a great series.
  • This is a show that I had really become invested and was cancelled with no warning, please start this show back up or release them on dvd so we can see that rest of them. C'mon you cant treat us fans this way.

This show is great and pulls you into it, I really got a chance to watch them all online and it turned out to be a great show. So why are they not showing the remaining episodes, how can they just table this show. It was a well made show and deserved a much better fate than what it was given, and the plot twists are all over the place I cant believe you dont want to finish this season of the Nine, or at least make it available to the fans. You had a great show there, please dont give up on it.
  • The Nine is a "TEN"...The best thing on TV in quite a while.

I am very impressed with "The Nine". It is exciting, spellbinding and intense. The characters are developing in great detail, which is rare on a tv show. The directing is superb. The acting is top-notch. And the writing is just short of brilliant. It has been a long time since I have enjoyed a show this much, which probably means it will be off the air by the end of the season. I would encourage everyone to watch this show and give it a chance. Cutting edge tv like this MUST be applauded and it MUST survive. Seldom do we get the chance to see television at its best, but this show gives us that chance. Enough with the "Reality TV"...This is "Real Drama" at its best. I sincely hope that the standard that this show has set for itself is maintained throughout the season.
  • in France we have 13 episode, but it looks like the show did stop in the usa on the 7th episode. I love the show and i would really like to know if i'll might "rester sur ma faim"...

the show is on hiatus? But on abc they say that the show might be back in August? In france the show goes until the 13 episode does that mean that it's not the end of the season?
    Anyway, i can't wait to see the next episode!
    So bring it back!
  • Liked the way they introduced each character and how they tie into each other from the shared experience. the plot was well thought out.

This one should make it through the season with out being axed. Like the characters and the way they have linked the teenager into the robbers --Great end of episode cliffhanger. Really like the way the characters interact with each other. Another nice feature of this series is the movement between past and present and the delicate balance between the characters after the trauma of the Bank robbery.
    I was worried the nine might mimic the 4400 in some ways but so far it hasn't and it doesn't copy any of the recent hits in this kind of drama. I am Optimistic it will live up to it's strong opening.
< 1 2