The Nine

Take Me Instead

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Nov 08, 2006 on ABC

• Exceptional episode!

We learn a lot in the flashback sequence this week, which makes the episode very intense. Susan Sullivan's portrayal of Kathryn's mom in the flashback is absolutely heartbreaking and her mere presence on the screen elevates this episode to another level. Lizzie and Lucas continue their connection, which was very good to see. Nick's stubborn and dark side rears it's ugly head and adds many more layers to the "hero" part he's been playing up until now. Tim Daly does an excellent job with this complex side of Nick. And I love how the writers are making so many of the characters "grey" - that's important in a series that really is character-driven.

Kim Raver shines in her side of the episode this week, with Kathryn finally accepting her feelings for Nick for the first time since the robbery. Her reaction to Ed's proposal is well acted and written, which is the first time I've felt that with her as an actress.

The Malcolm and Felicia relationship is also nicely done, but as Malcolm seems to be approaching the "moral center" of the show, I'd like to see more of his character than was shown in this episode. But this easily one of the best episodes to date.