The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Sunday 9:00 PM on BBC Premiered Mar 23, 2008 In Season

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Fan Reviews (4)

• Why shown as IN SEASON

Why is "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" shown as IN SEASON when it hasn't been on April 2009? As much as I'd like to see more of this series, it really looks like is has ENDED.
  • A very sweet show, with love just shining through every character. No blood, no gore, nothing disturbing. Forgiveness seems to be the No. 1 attribute Precious brings to her detective agency.

One of the parts I like best of this show is not the show itself; it is the author's diary about the making of the episode. The episodes are terrific; the interplay between the characters is better than terrific. I love Precious and Grace together, and can see that this relationship will be one of the better ones on television. I cannot help but think after I see the episode (not during it, because I'm so enchanted) that this show should win an Emmy or two. Maybe three. The backdrop of Botswana is just inspired. I know the books are set there, but to actually film there was a bold move. Seeing the people who live there, seeing the roads, learning so much about the country, learning it is the safest country in Africa, this is just wonderful. I cannot come up with enough superlatives to describe this show. I will say that I watched the pilot and four episodes back to back, I was enjoying it that much. I hope I can corral my family to watch it with me. Watching the mysteries being solved is a wonderful experience -- the outcomes are so beautiful.

I highly recommend this show, especially for teenagers, if you can get them to watch. Sit on them if you have to.
  • Gone too soon

I really enjoyed this series when episodes aired last year, but sadly it only showed for its first season and never returned.

Colourful characters, scenery, story lines, I just loved listening to the beautiful African accents spoken.
  • Incredible story. Incredible acting. Sheer work of utter perfection.

Watching this was a stunning and eye-awakening experience. Through the storytelling alone I felt completely immersed in the culture of the Republic of Botswana. Everything was perfect. The shots, the acting, the writing. As much television as I watch, and I have seen a lot almost perfectly done shows, none will ever be so perfect as The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. I am grateful to have had an opportunity to watch such an achievement as was this. It shows that good television comes in all shapes, and sizes. It shows that there does not have to be mindless action to hook you into the story. There needn't be bloodshed, or sex, or gratuitous amounts of swearing.

As much as I enjoy watching all of those, I feel like that's the easy way. It's the simplest way to entertain people nowadays. But this show took the higher path, the more difficult one, the road less traveled, if you will...and it did it flawless.

I cannot wait to see more of the masterpiece that Anthony Minghella started and helmed, only to die just days before his vision fully came to light. It's a shame that he couldn't witness its release. He would have been proud.