The Oblongs

The WB (ended 2002)

The Oblongs Fan Reviews (55)

• How can an awesome show like this only survive 13 episodes?

first off how the heck can this show last 13 episodes? They say that people hated this show and they cancelled it, but I've been reading these reviews and a lot of them are 9's and 10's. They say there will be a season 3 which I think is highly unlikely since they first announced that a year ago. Anyway this show about a family who lives in the Valley and they go through life. The characters are good Bob is the father and he is voiced by Will Ferrel and he works at Globecide and oil company and he is my favorite character in the entire show. Pickles is the mom and she is smoke,beer, pretty much everything addicted and she is a good character. Biff and Chip are conjoined twins and they crack my up and I wished they had bigger roles. Besides "Get off my back" and "Father of the Bribe" they only have like 2 or 3 lines per episode. Milo is a kid who has ADD, OCD, and a lot of other problems and he's a good character. Beth is a little girl who has a thingy on her and she cracks me up as well, again like Biff and Chip besides "Pickles Little Amazon" she only has 2 to 3 lines. Milo's friends Peggy, Helga, Susie, and Mickey are hilarious and great characters but sometimes Helga cna get irritating. The only small problem are the Hill people. i have no problems with Pristine, I have some problems with Mr. Climer. The Debbies used to annoy me so much and they were huge jerks, but as I've gotten old they're actually really funny and not as annoying as when I was younger and I rarely have problems with them now. Jared and Blair are my least favorite characters. They're just jerks and I don't get that many laughes from them. The episodes are very original, I don't think I've ever seen any of these plots done before well maybe Milo's plot in Mitsfit Love. This is an awesome show and you should check it out. 10/10.
  • Atomic Betty, No Matter How Lame That Show May Be Is At Least is a More Watchable Show Than This

1.5
    Wow, what the hell is wrong with everyone giving this crap 9s and 10s. This show is just AWFUL!! It's not funny, the characters are mean spirited and the episodes are lame. I will say the dad character is at least likable but the only good character and likable aspect of the show. Also the only episode I ever found worth watching was "Pickles' Little Amazon" where Milo dresses as a girl scout, other than that I could care less about this show. I really hate that goddamn bully and wish they'd kill him off and maybe I would like this show more and MAYBE I'd give this show a higher rating. I also heard a rumor that this show is coming back. I hope not because this show sucks and I'm shocked that people like this crap but hate Atomic Betty even though that show is Canadian, what the hell is wrong with people these days! At least Atomic Betty has likable characters despite the bland and boring repetitive episodes but at least I could survive that show, I can't even get through an entire episode of this without being forced to change the channel other than that girl scout episode. This show, IMO gets a 3/10! It may be better than that stupid Allen Gregory show that aired on FOX awhile back but I'd rather watch The Cleveland Show or Brickleberry than this crap!
  • I miss this!

I absolutely love this show and wish it had never been cancelled. Milo and Creepy Susie are my favorite characters, partly because I share things in common with them like Milo's ADD. The show's about a poor family who live in "The Valley" a toxic dump that causes them to suffer from a variety of defects and mutations. They get looked down upon by the stuck up rich people who live in "The Hills," the place that's dumping all the toxic waste on everyone else.

It was a really funny, morbid, and straight forward show... Watching it reminds me of myself and people that I know in my life. Freaks. Weirdos. Whatever. All still human beings who are more interesting being the way they are. Like the Oblongs. I love how the family could stick together and love each other despite their circumstances. Everything wasn't all dark in The Valley. Please bring back this show.
  • Now i don't watch Adult Swim that much but I really love this show and i think there are episodes of this on youtube.

OK now how can a show so beast like this last 13 episodes, well at least there a new season coming this August according to the internet. OK this show is funny in so many ways. OK my favorite characters are either Bob or Milo. Now there both hilarious but sometimes Bob is funny. ( I think its because Will Ferrel voices him.) OK the characters are Bob, he has no arms or legs, Pickles has a wig and she is accidicted to drinks, Biff and Chip are conjoined twins and they are attatched by the waist, Milo has only one hair on his hair and he has problems, and Beth has a giant pimple on her head. Now Milo's friends are hilarious as well. Like Helga is a fat toad girl, there's the nerd that when she talks spit comes out, and the girl that goth is pretty funny too. Now my favorite reccuring character is Helga. She cracks me up so much. Well if you haven't seen this show check it out on youtube. Its really good. Overall 10/10.
  • This should've lasted longer than 10 episodes

WB made a big mistake canceling this great show. The Oblongs is about a family that gets infected by waste,and go through modern life itself. It sounded like a terrible idea,but WB thought wrong. Every character has something different about themselves. The dad has no legs or arms,the mother smokes and her hair is a wig,the sister has a pimple and seems like she has no mouth at times,the brothers are siamese twins and Milo,the son,seems like the only normal,but he only has 1 line of hair. The humor never fails to make me laugh. This show has that "I wasn't expecting that to happen" humor. All of the characters are hilrailous,especially the dad,and it does help by the fact that he is played by Will Ferrell. Milo's friends look hilrailous and are funny,especially Helga,the fat one. Helga talks hilrailous,and has her moments. The kid who looks like Milo has a hilrailous running gag where he always gets attacked dogs. The other girl (Not the goth one) looks just laugh out loud hilrailous and she doesn't even look human. As for the animation,it's great. Everybody has weirdly shaped bodies and looks. It's actually an example of animation that looks stupid,but great. However,this show only lasted 10 episodes. Why? You have a great show,but you cancel it. Adult Swim doesn't even show new episodes of it. Please,make Oblongs return for another season.
  • One of my favorite adult swim shows. If only they passed more often.

It was lucky that I even got to watch it. But when I did I knew what I was gonna see. Great Story, sense of humor, not to adult rated, and funny characters. The characters are just so unique in a way. The humor is original and the story is too. I like how the rich people look down on the poor sick people. And how polluted the valley is. There's one part in the show when a firefly goes to one of the clouds and gets like burned. LOL that's just funny man. For all you haters please don't be hating on good shows if you don't watch them.
  • funny

Will Farrel's voices the Dad. The show is about a family of lower class people with deformities, the Dad has no limbs he is just a head and a torso, the Mom has no hair, and smokes like a forest fire , their son Milo with ADD, that is to hyper to control, the daughter with a weird thing on here head, and the elder sons stuck together with three legs. I haven't seen this show in a very long time, but i remember i couldn't wait for Saturdays when the show was on in my area. If Will Farrel's in it, it most be good.
  • Great show in my opinion

This show was a decent show, but I don't think it had the kind of humor Adult Swim would like. It doesn't really cuss and it isn't that nasty. In my opinion, thats a good show. I guess Adult Swim didn't like it. Sometimes, it's just all about ratings. But Adult Swim could of given it more of a chance though. That was just a mistake for them. This show needs to work more on the humor. Most of the characters aren't really funny. The only person that seems to be funny is Milo. But besides all that, this is a good show that just didn't find the Adult Swim humor, if you know what I mean.
    -Nachosxd15
  • Pretty good.

This is one of the funniest shows on the funny show list.I mean,since South Park,Family Guy or Aqua Teen Hunger Force that are my favorite comedy shows,this one is one of them.This show seems to have a comedy side because Will Ferrell is in this show and he is great at his movies.Some of the characters are very funny and every end of a scene is very funny too.Milo is pretty funny,Helga is maybe kind of funny and Milo's brothers are much funny.This show is pretty much very funny and I give it a B because it kind of funny.
  • A great show

I love this show. Its very funny. I cant believe they got will ferrell to do the voice for bob in this show. Some of the episodes are retarded but for the most part the episodes are funny. My fav is the one where pickles has to be a den mother and milo dresses in drag. I especially like the "urban survival" scene. That is my ALL time favorite episode. It sucks that they didnt make more then one season. I think the oblongs could have made it through at least three season. But I got the dvd of the serious so no hard
  • A great show

• Never liked this at first now I love it

So Basically The show focuses on the antics of a family who live in a poor valley community who, as a result of extreme pollution and radiation, all are severely disabled and deformed, either physically or mentally. The pollution is the direct result of the lavish lifestyle of a rich community known as "The Hills," the residents of which continue to exploit and harm the valley residents with little regard for their safety or well being.

I used to hate this show mostly because of its animation though I gave it a chance and now I love it! If anything reminds me of Invader Zim its how the Creater of The Oblongs had used characters from his book "Creepy Susie and 13 Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children" just like Jhonen Vasquez used Character from Johnny the Homocidal Maniac. Overall this show is a great show and I recomend it to anyone with a sense of humour!
  • If you put the Addams Family and Family Guy together, you'd probably get this show.

What a wacky, insane bunch of characters the Oblongs are. You have a dad with no arms and legs. A mother who is a wig wearing alcoholic. Two twin boys who are actually siamese twins. A young son who has one hair on his head and different sized eyes. And last but not least, a cute little daughter who appears normal apart from the giant skin obsruction that comes out of her head. But don't worry, it's not their fault they look like this. They live in the Valley, a polluted infested suburb just below the exquisite one called the Hills. And where did all the pollution come from? Why the Hills of course! Why does no one change it? Because the Hills have all the rich people living there, and their the ones in charge. Almost right off the bat, you can tell this show was written for the outcasts. The world itself seems like a large high school, where the popular kids (the rich) rule and the ugly kids (the poor)can only watch and move on. Though sometimes they fight back. But usually with bad results. Still, you sit and watch, cheering them on, becuase the rich are the real losers. They do everything they can to the Valley people and with no thought of the concequences, so it's enjoyable to see the Oblongs succeed even in the little things. Milo, the young son with one hair, is one of favorite characters and is always the one striving most to be normal. Apart from him, I enjoy watching Will Ferrell voice the Dad, a man unaware of the tradegy around him, and he has that innocent voice to pull it off. On a closing note, I can say this show has an interesting aspect. It keeps your attention with the freaky characters and the jokes may not always make you laugh out loud but they do make you smile. Because they edge more or less on what the high school environment is like, but it also hints at reality as well. You may be brought back to the memories of that one freaky kid in the back row, or even one of the weirdos you've see on the street. But the message is simple of the Oblongs: Whether you're a freak or you're rich, we really are all the same, and you're simple minded to treat anybody different from yourself.
  • Such a horrible show!

I don't find any of it funny. The freaks in the valley are so annoying, with none of them being likeable. Bob is a super dork of a dad, and his wife is trashy. The conjoined twins are stupid, along with the little four-year-old weirdo. Milo is just a stupid dorky kid with the worst friends a kid could have. The nerdy girl with half her face missing is someone who I can't even handle hearing when she talks. The fat girl has an annoying voice and is not likeable either. All of those characters on the show are terrible and I'm glad it only lasted 13 episodes!
  • the oblongs......are well.......veyr odd. the show in itself is odd.

This is a very odd show. I can't say I like it nor can I say I don't. It's quite funny but still very strange.
    The writers seem to have a strange kind of humor. It's really a roll of the chair funny kind of show. Half the time I'm laughing because it's so weird.
    Honestly though, it's a good show. The characters are draw weirdly but that fits with the script. The father, I think his name is Bob (trying to remember). He has no arms or legs and he drives a car1 lol weird right? The mother is a different story, she's tall and skinny, big hair, her boobs hang and she smokes all the time, other than that she seems to be a pretty caring mother. The kids.....oh well the kids.. They are the weirdest. The oldest are twins, joined by the hip, they're popular guys with serious issues, regular big brothers who pick on their younger siblings and use them a lot. The middle child is ignored like middle children are, he has one hair that stand out, one eye bigger than the other and he has some strangely creepy friends with no lives. The last one is smart if I remember clearly, she has hair, is a mommy's girl and she's short.
    The theme song explains how they got that way. Something about them living at the bottom of the valley with the rich folks on top and toxic waste came down on them or something and they changed.
    Oh did I mention that the father without hands and legs work at a factory? Well he does. The Oblongs is a very odd show, funny but odd.
  • I CANT BELIEVE IT!

I found out they only made 13 episodes!i love this show and they were stupid to get rid of it i laugh at each joke and i know it is awsome. I think Beth is adorable!And the debbies are really weird!I thought it was kinda weird but hilariously funny!UM I want to watch all the episodes i have only seen 6 and 6 they were funny but im watching them on youtube!Watch this show its worth staying up!If you haven't seen it yet watch watch watch stupids!so in conclusion i think this show didn't get enough credit because it came on on school nights at 12:30 and they shouldn't have done that!
  • I liked it, but the show needed more humor.

-NachoSwordsman
  • Its weird but good.

What better classification for this show then off the wall. Lets just say there is no other show on the planet like this one. Its like your normal show... but with massive birth defects. Now all these shows are based off of Angus Oblong's book Creepy Susie. Belive it or not the book is alot stranger then the show. This show had a short life which is probably the best for it. My favorite character is of course the dad with no legs or arms. I hate the Helga that one girl. I think the show would be about a thousand times better without her.
  • Not the best but not the worst

6.9
    Seriously this show was decent. I remember it being pretty funny the first time I saw it, but when watching it again on dvd I realize it was a steaming pile of crap. The show was not funny, it was kind of original and had unique ideas but it just plain sucked. It could have been funny but it would need a lot of work. Its good this is not taking up anymore air time on any network. This show was a complete monstrocity and cant believe it was greenlit at all. With a little more time and effort this show would have been half way decent.
  • It should have had better ratings than it would have never been cancelled.

It's about a family that lives in a city underneath a sewer called Oblongs the dad is Bob Oblong who has no arms or legs and is maried to a long haired woman named Pickles and they conjoined twins named biff and chip and a bold son named milo and the daughter is Beth who has a tiny lump on her head. This show was great although it was canceled cause of low ratings on WB although this show is awesome and funny it even played reruns on Adult Swim but it is currently off the air ame with Mission Hill I like both shows however and maybe one day they will return.
  • The Valley.... has Some awesome things going on.

This is a show which includes very Dark humor. The Father has no Arms or legs, Milo is over hyper, The Mom's a Drinker, The Girl's has a bump on her head, the 2 brothers are conjoined twins. So as you can see the shows pretty odd but that is what makes it funny.

Milo has a interesting pair of friends. There's the hilarious toad-like fat little girl Helga, A goth kid + more. Helga makes hilarious stuff focusing on her fatness. She got a hola hoop stuck around her and stuck in a pipe.

Theres the rich people who live in the hills in which the debbies live and all the jocks. This show was amazing, and I really wished it lasted longer cause it ended way to soon.
  • Why?

Why is it that everybody loves this show so much and still it can't find a friend in the Networks? Maybe it should wear a viking helmet and sleep with Bridgette Nielson...
    The Oblongs is one of my favorites. The voices are superb and the animation looks great. The only short coming to this show is it's tragic shortness. It's apparent that nobody really saw the end coming, because all the way up to the end there are new character points and subplot being mentioned. For a the absolute best in Adult Cartoons I always turn to The Oblongs. I love this show.
  • awesome show

I liked this show! I used to stay up and watch this on Adult Swim. They should bring it back because its funny! It was wayy underappreciated. This show was funny and wierd, thats why i liked it tho! Each of the charactors were wierd in their own special way. It was like a whole family..Dad, Mom, Daughter, and Sons. Bring it back!! This show was one of my favorites and i was sad to see it wasnt on anymore. Well, anyway thanks for the laughs! R. I. P. Oblongs! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
  • A hard show with hilarious moments. Not for everyone

Bueno, antes de hablar es importante destacar que un show que utiliza una temática tan nefasta para hacer comedia como se hace en "Los Oblongs", no es para todos.

¿Quienes son los protagonistas?
    Presisamente la familia Oblong es quien adquiere el papel principal en el show. Estos viven en la pobreza, en un barrio olvidado y horripilante donde la gente de clase alta arroja sus desechos tóxicos, lo que creó un lago compuesto enteramente de esos desechos. A causa de ello, la familia y todos los habitantes del "Valle" quedaron deformados físicamente. ¿Y a la gente millonaria de "Las colinas" les importa? no...y por su culpa esta pobre gente vive de una manera tan deplorable. El padre, Bob Oblong no tiene ni brazos ni piernas, su esposa Pickles no tiene cabello, los hijos mayores Biff y Chip son siameses pero solo tienen tres piernas, el niño del medio, Milo, tiene una cabeza grande un solo pelo y un ojo medio cerrado (acompañado por traumas sociales) y la hija menor, Beth, tiene una protuberancia o un chichón gigante en la cabeza que según parece a veces la manipula.
    Todo eso, tan nefasto y horrible como suena, fue tomado y convertido en una comedia disparatada.

¿Cual es el ingrediente principal de este show tan especial?
    "Los Oblongs" es una eterna mofa a las condiciones de vida de la clase baja acompañada con una fuerte, divertida y sólida crítica a las clases sociales altas y su infinito nivel de desinterés sobre las clases sociales inferiores y sus actitudes superficiales, frías y materialistas. Condimentada con muchas situaciones de humor absurdo, negro, sexual, escatológico, mostrando y destacando al final los valores mas importantes de los protagonistas y de las personas en general, los cuales la gente de clase alta que abunda en este show no posee.

"Los Oblongs" es un gran show, novedoso con un humor ligero, mas que entretenido que puede dejarte perplejo y matarte de risa al mismo tiempo.

Lástima que haya tan pocos episodios...
  • Stupid show

2.1
    This show sucks! I especially don't like the animation, it's so stupid. It's also nothing but crap crap crap crap crap. That is why I'm giving this show a 2.1 for a rating. I was going to give it a "0", but apparently, you cannot rate anything a "0" anymore. They should let you rate a show or episode what you mean and how you feel about the show. I mean, seriously, this show is nothing but COMPLETE crap! The first time I saw this show, I thought, what a waste of time. What a complete waste of time! I hate this show and nothing will ever change that. No offense to those who like this show.
  • its an okay show but its barely on tv anymore

5.5
    Created by Angus Oblong, whose book Creepy Susie and 13 Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children inspired the show\'s very unique characters, THE OBLONGS is the story of a deformed (and slightly dysfunctional) family living on land polluted by the careless lifestyle of the wealthy and snobbish residents up in The Hills. The Oblongs and all of the other unfortunate residents of The Valley are victims of various disabilities because of the toxic state of their resources.he Oblongs have four children -- conjoined twins Biff (Randy Sklar) and Chip (Jason Sklar); Milo (Pamela Adlon), who\'s riddled with mental and social issues and an unidentified eye affliction; and Beth (Jeannie Elias), who appears normal except for the phallus-shaped growth atop her head.
  • TV show about a disfunctional family and the disfunctional town where they live.

Okay so this is another one of those shows that i would pretty much never admit to watching, except on TV dot com, and the only reason I'll admit to it here is becasue nobody here actually knows me and not only dont they know me but they'll probably never meet me. So, I won't tell people who I know how funny this show actually is. It's the funniest thing, actually, but its kind of stupid. It's pretty much just about fart jokes and potty humor and people being stupid. For example the father of the family has no arms and legs so most of his jokes revolve around that. Personally I think it is kind of weird, and I don;t think i should laugh at this sort of stuff, but i do.
  • The Simpson’s, Family Guy, American Dad, etc. They are all alike, families, but corky in their own way. Oblongs has to be my favorite even toping Family Guy, well not quite.

I have to say that I am disappointed! I want more Oblongs, I didn't get enough! The voices, the animation, and the characters make this one of my all time favorite cartoons! Will Ferrel, and Jean Smart make an odd husband and wife! Perfect! Surprisingly, The Oblongs is based on "Creepy Susie & 13 Other Tragic Tales for Troubled Children by Angus Oblong." A book?!

"The town of HillValley is the pharmaceutical capital of the world, the water is tainted with toxins, as is the air. The nearby meteor on the skyline gives off a soft glow of radiation from worlds light years away. Thus the folks of HillValley are either physically deformed or mentally deranged. Fun for the whole family."http://www.angusoblong.net/theoblongs.html

“Pissing off normal people? Kay, sounds fun.”
  • This show is brilliant. The degree of fantasy mixed in with the morals and political/satirical commentary is a late-night treat. I would have rated it higher if there were more episodes.

There are tons of morals here too, like the nature of trend-setting, where everyone goes crazy over ham buckets romance, where Milo loves an alien and loyalty/love (Seen in pretty much every corner of the show). Although seen in a pessamistic light, the characters remain morbidly optimistic through all their adversity, giving the show heart. Morbid, as in the time when Milo stopped the aesthetically compromised Debbie from jumping off the bridge, and she did it anyway, and found it the lake was too gooey to even hurt her. Nonetheless, the Oblongs always tend to hope for the best. Also, they always tend to stick together, even when tempted away from their sorry lifestyle, which is the strongest form of loyalty, reflecting that of the noblest in real life.
  • The Oblongs follows the adventures of a family of disfigured people.

I'll admit, it's not a bad show. It does have it's moments. Some things about it are rather funny, but it uses cheap jokes too much, and the animation and illustration isn't really all that great, so I'm kind of turned off from this show in a way. It's fairly funny, though, but it doesn't seem like the type that will ever make a classic. I've heard people saying it's better than The Simpsons. I watch it and think, "What are you talking about? It's all right, but will never be as good as The Simpsons." I don't think any show will ever be as good as The Simpsons. BUT this review isn't meant to compare this show to The Simpsons. All-in-all, it's all right, but if I had a choice to watch this or watch something of more intelligent meaning, I'd watch the latter.
< 1 2