The O.C. Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

one tree hill vs the o.c

halloweenalaska

[21]Nov 15, 2006
    • level: 9

ugh. i'm watching oth right now. its so unbelievable and rediculous. i will NEVER understand why someone likes this more than the oc.

if chad were ryan, that would probably change how much i love the oc. hes pretty boring on this show.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Evaaa

[22]Nov 16, 2006
    THE OC ALL the WAAY

wheresXolive

[23]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 8

I agree, the O.C all the way! One Tree Hill is the most ridiculous show I've ever seen.  The acting on it is so terrible and the story lines are so horribly unbelievable and cliché!

One thing that really bugs me about OTH is the way the characters talk. The teenagers are talking like they're 40! I watched one part of an episode where the blonde girl is going on about a 'heart so big it hurts'. Who talks like that? I watched an O.C commentary on a DVD I borrowed from a friend and Josh actually mentioned in a part how he tries to make the teenagers sound like actual teenagers, and he does a good job doing it too (Seth Cohen never seizes to amaze me!).

I also don't like how the teenagers are all getting married in high school. I never understood that. I understand that they’re like in love and want to show it, but you can still be in love with somebody and not married. She's not even pregnant! Well she wasn’t pregnant when they got married, but now she is! And she’s talking about going to college! Newsflash honey, it’s a little hard to go to college with a baby to take care of! Good job throwing your life away.

And don't get me started on the characters in the show. They're not even that likeable. The brunette girl seems like a stuck-up slut (judging from some previews she has a one night stand and hooks up with a teacher).

So yea, OTH really annoys me. The storylines are unrealistic and it's just wayy too overdramatic.

halloweenalaska

[24]Nov 16, 2006
    great point. its just too rediculous. the characters are all really stuck up except for lucas who just cares about saving the girl and haley who tries desperately to make nathan happen but he just wants to be alone shooting a basketball all day. none of the girls on the show are interesting except for peyton at points.

armybratkl

[25]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 19
    Lucas also had his "slutty" moments. I seem to recall in the first season that was why Brooke and Peyton became friends again. That really bugged me, and the way he hooked up with Brooke. I mean, did you see how big that beer was? For someone who never drank before, he sure handled that pretty well.

1LoganLover

[26]Nov 17, 2006
    • level: 7
    I love both shows, they're two of my favourites. And before the new seasons started I would have said I prefered OTH because season 3 of that show was awesome but season 3 of OC was pretty crappy, but with the new season, the OC, imo, just seems to be getting better and better and OTH just isn't as good as it was last season because I feel like they've completely ignored the last two seasons and carried on from the first, whereas the OC is showing continuity and has just improved so much.

Firetears

[27]Nov 17, 2006
    • level: 23
    I love both shows. Thing is, I just recently got into OTH a couple weeks before the season 4 premiere, but I've been a faithful viewer of The O.C. since the series premiere, so I feel like I'm betraying The O.C. by not being able to choose which one I like most. They both are practically teen dramas and they both deal with unrealistic issues sometimes. The same people who watch The O.C. watch OTH, so it's pretty safe to say they are compatible. I don't know why people are trying so hard to seperate the two.

rengin

[28]Nov 17, 2006
    • level: 10
    I know this is OC thread but you gave me the permission to talk. Well OC started to be stupid in S2. I was a totally fan of OC in S1 and after watching OTH's S1 i thought they were head to head. OC did a great piece of work and made Ryan leave...Seth leave...etc.etc. OTH...A little bit diffrent but there was so incommon too. Lucas left with Keith and Haley married to Nathan...That's not my point. In S2...Oc became so basic. Everything was the same, there was the same problems but with some diffrent charachters. But OTH did such a good performance and keep the adrenaline high. That made OC behind the OTH. Now OC is that basic that i don't watch it but i'm looking forward to OTH's episodes...

that70sshow2000

[29]Nov 17, 2006
    • level: 15
    wheresXolive wrote:

I agree, the O.C all the way! One Tree Hill is the most ridiculous show I've ever seen. The acting on it is so terrible and the story lines are so horribly unbelievable and cliché!

Yeah. Because finding out your Grandpa is the father to your best friend's girlfriend is a daily occurence for people.

:
    One thing that really bugs me about OTH is the way the characters talk. The teenagers are talking like they're 40! I watched one part of an episode where the blonde girl is going on about a 'heart so big it hurts'. Who talks like that? I watched an O.C commentary on a DVD I borrowed from a friend and Josh actually mentioned in a part how he tries to make the teenagers sound like actual teenagers, and he does a good job doing it too (Seth Cohen never seizes to amaze me!).

What episode was that? By 'blonde girl' I assume you mean Peyton. I don't remember her saying that. Unless you mean in season 1 when she said 'you got his heart, dude.' Which I don't find unrealistic to say. I can see your point maybe with Lucas and even Peyton sometimes, but Brooke, Haley, and Nathan (especially the first two) so have the high school talk down. But, mmhmm, I agree. The OC is way better at the dialouge for the teenagers. Especially Seth. But Ryan...He doesn't exactly act or tlak like a 16-19 year old. One thing I have noticed though is The OC does the parent-child relationship way, way more realistically. Just how the adult Cohens interact with each other and with the kids is really realistic in a family. The adult-child relations in OTH seems more like they're buddies at times. Here's an example of what I mean in The OC:

Season 1; The Girlfriend
    Sandy, Kirsten, and Caleb are having a serious conversation.
    Caleb: (to Sandy) Are you smoking the week again?
    Setth enters
    Seth: Dad smokes weed?
    Kirsten: (to Seth) Seth, private conversation. Leave. (or something to that affect)
    Seth: (leaving the room, to Ryan off-screen) Ryan, guess who's a stoner?
    The adults continue their conversation.

mistylife

[30]Nov 17, 2006
    • level: 13
    Actually i was never a big fan of O.C. but i used to love to watch it. I mean, there was a thing which connected me to itself but i think the show lost it in Season 2. I loved Seth's humor but even that wasn't enough for me to continue to watch it. It repeated itself in my opinion and that was really boring for me. But in OTH that wasn't like that. I enjoyed its every episode and every season. They always made it better and better so it was good for them. I loved this show from the start and i never gave up on this. I'm still waiting for the new events impatiently and that's a good score for me.

Glaceo

[31]Nov 17, 2006
    • level: 22
    Hmm.. well i loved the oc so much that i saw 3 seasons in 2 months, and then one tree hill season 2 came, and i dunno why, it just seemed better to me. I do think that actin on the oc is way better, but i still think if i saw oth 3 seasons, then i mite like it more. im stumped rite now. but i just saw the gringos, and i really really liked it. taylor makes up for any depressing moments, totally makes up for it.

mcgt

[32]Nov 19, 2006
    • level: 6
    ok come on guys. All the teen shows have crappy acting. We all know that but yet we still watch it. I am I right? First it was 90210 if some of u can go back that far. Then was Dawson's Creek, The girl next door joey, Bad boy Pacey. And the whinny dreamer Dawson. One tree hill and The OC is the same. I mean There's hot girls and guys on the show. I watch it cause of the guys. I mean Ryan got really hot. And ever since Gilmore girls ive watch chad. Nathan is hott too. Seth the funny smart ass guy. All the shows are the same but we all watch em.

Tizzay5

[33]Nov 19, 2006
    • level: 17

mcgt wrote:
    ok come on guys. All the teen shows have crappy acting. We all know that but yet we still watch it. I am I right? First it was 90210 if some of u can go back that far. Then was Dawson's Creek, The girl next door joey, Bad boy Pacey. And the whinny dreamer Dawson. One tree hill and The OC is the same. I mean There's hot girls and guys on the show. I watch it cause of the guys. I mean Ryan got really hot. And ever since Gilmore girls ive watch chad. Nathan is hott too. Seth the funny smart ass guy. All the shows are the same but we all watch em.

uh, well i dont really agree because the acting in 90210 wasnt crappy, the acting was really good. and the acting on The OC and OTH are both really good too. plus the storylines are different, The OC and OTH are a lot different..and dawson's creek, i liked that show too, but the least out of all the shows you have mentioned.

Votan8

[34]Nov 20, 2006
    • level: 2

My breakdown of the two series, as a fan of both from the beginning.

First, we need to drop any pretense of either show being "too ridiculous."  Both shows are far-fetched a lot of the time, and we love it.  Very little of the events in either show would be typical in regards to what one would normally experience in real life, and that's the entire point.  We live real life, we watch distorted versions of it for our enjoyment.  Anyway...

Actors:  The adults on the OC are superior.  Dan Scott and Coach Durham, along with the late Keith match up in my opinion, but otherwise the parents and other adult players on One Tree Hill don't really compare.  Which is not to say they are bad, simply not the OC's equal.

Chad vs. Ben McKenzie:  Both play their roles great.  Ben plays both "hurt", and being the loner much better than Chad, while I think Chad does the whole "high schooler" bit better.  He's well-rounded.  Someone said that Chad can't do "funny", and I disagree.  I think he has a great deadpan.

Nobody compares to Adam Brody.  I guess the closest thing would be Lee Norris (Mouth), but again, no comparison.

Of the girls, I think Rachel Bilson (Summer) is a better actor than Sophia Bush (Brooke), and has generally had a more believable and likable character evolution.  On the flip side, I think Hilarie Burton (Peyton, "blonde girl" heh) portrays "wounded" a bit better than Mischa (guess). 

The supporting cast is a tad more consistent on One Tree Hill, with people from season 1 still generally there in season 4, while new cast members come and go on the OC.  I would say Luke was James Lafferty's (Nathan)  natural counterpart except for the fact Luke left fairly early in the shows run.  In any event, I think One Tree Hill ekes this out by a tiny margin

Seasons:

The OC season 1 was slightly better than One Tree Hill season 1.  Two excellent seasons, but you can't beat the phenomenon that was The OC's opening season.

Both shows stumbled in Season 2, and I'd say they were of equal quality.

One Tree Hill Season 3 is superior to The OC Season three by a good margin.

The new seasons both have come out really strong, so we'll see.

Overall, I think the OC at its best is better than One Tree Hill in a similar state.  When both shows are firing on all cylinders, The OC shines.  One Tree Hill, however, is a bit more consistent in my opinion.  The OC has some A+ story arcs, and it has some C and D arcs.  One Tree Hill averages out to a B pretty much (not always, but pretty much) all the time.  Those are my thoughts, take them as you will.

TvCHiCk3249

[35]Nov 20, 2006
    • level: 15
    I watch both, but The O.C. is the one I look forward to watching the most.

kandy-kisses

[36]Nov 21, 2006
    • level: 6
    Votan8 wrote:

First, we need to drop any pretense of either show being "too ridiculous." Both shows are far-fetched a lot of the time, and we love it. Very little of the events in either show would be typical in regards to what one would normally experience in real life, and that's the entire point. We live real life, we watch distorted versions of it for our enjoyment. Anyway...

Actors: The adults on the OC are superior. Dan Scott and Coach Durham, along with the late Keith match up in my opinion, but otherwise the parents and other adult players on One Tree Hill don't really compare. Which is not to say they are bad, simply not the OC's equal.

Chad vs. Ben McKenzie: Both play their roles great. Ben plays both "hurt", and being the loner much better than Chad, while I think Chad does the whole "high schooler" bit better. He's well-rounded. Someone said that Chad can't do "funny", and I disagree. I think he has a great deadpan.

Nobody compares to Adam Brody. I guess the closest thing would be Lee Norris (Mouth), but again, no comparison.

Of the girls, I think Rachel Bilson (Summer) is a better actor than Sophia Bush (Brooke), and has generally had a more believable and likable character evolution. On the flip side, I think Hilarie Burton (Peyton, "blonde girl" heh) portrays "wounded" a bit better than Mischa (guess).

The supporting cast is a tad more consistent on One Tree Hill, with people from season 1 still generally there in season 4, while new cast members come and go on the OC. I would say Luke was James Lafferty's (Nathan) natural counterpart except for the fact Luke left fairly early in the shows run. In any event, I think One Tree Hill ekes this out by a tiny margin

Seasons:

The OC season 1 was slightly better than One Tree Hill season 1. Two excellent seasons, but you can't beat the phenomenon that was The OC's opening season.

Overall, I think the OC at its best is better than One Tree Hill in a similar state. When both shows are firing on all cylinders, The OC shines. One Tree Hill, however, is a bit more consistent in my opinion. The OC has some A+ story arcs, and it has some C and D arcs. One Tree Hill averages out to a B pretty much (not always, but pretty much) all the time. Those are my thoughts, take them as you will.

I haven't watched OTH in so long but that's probably an accurate and detailed comparison and I totally agree with it. When the OC is good, it's effing GREAT. When it's bad.. it's bad where as I can imagine is OTH is more consistent. Well said!

peekone

[37]Nov 21, 2006
    • level: 45
    i didn't really like one tree hill that much, but i've been watching the o.c. since the pilot.

mandaaa24

[38]Nov 22, 2006
    • level: 22
    i started watching the OC first[during the end of the 2nd season] and i kept saying to myself i cant afford to get into one tree hill [and it seemed tht every oc fan hated one tree hill and vice versa] but i started watching one tree hill during its 3rd season[last season] and im so  obsesseddddd now .. i bought all the dvds and i watched all of em nd i love it!!!!!!! and of course i still love the oc!! [i own all the dvds of the oc too lol nd the soundtracks]  ... so ONE TREE HILL AND THE OC ROCK MY SOCKSSSS lmao0

wheresXolive

[39]Nov 22, 2006
    Votan8 wrote:

First, we need to drop any pretense of either show being "too ridiculous."  Both shows are far-fetched a lot of the time, and we love it.  Very little of the events in either show would be typical in regards to what one would normally experience in real life, and that's the entire point.  We live real life, we watch distorted versions of it for our enjoyment.  Anyway...

Actors:  The adults on the OC are superior.  Dan Scott and Coach Durham, along with the late Keith match up in my opinion, but otherwise the parents and other adult players on One Tree Hill don't really compare.  Which is not to say they are bad, simply not the OC's equal.

Chad vs. Ben McKenzie:  Both play their roles great.  Ben plays both "hurt", and being the loner much better than Chad, while I think Chad does the whole "high schooler" bit better.  He's well-rounded.  Someone said that Chad can't do "funny", and I disagree.  I think he has a great deadpan.

Nobody compares to Adam Brody.  I guess the closest thing would be Lee Norris (Mouth), but again, no comparison.

Of the girls, I think Rachel Bilson (Summer) is a better actor than Sophia Bush (Brooke), and has generally had a more believable and likable character evolution.  On the flip side, I think Hilarie Burton (Peyton, "blonde girl" heh) portrays "wounded" a bit better than Mischa (guess). 

The supporting cast is a tad more consistent on One Tree Hill, with people from season 1 still generally there in season 4, while new cast members come and go on the OC.  I would say Luke was James Lafferty's (Nathan)  natural counterpart except for the fact Luke left fairly early in the shows run.  In any event, I think One Tree Hill ekes this out by a tiny margin

Seasons:

The OC season 1 was slightly better than One Tree Hill season 1.  Two excellent seasons, but you can't beat the phenomenon that was The OC's opening season.

Overall, I think the OC at its best is better than One Tree Hill in a similar state.  When both shows are firing on all cylinders, The OC shines.  One Tree Hill, however, is a bit more consistent in my opinion.  The OC has some A+ story arcs, and it has some C and D arcs.  One Tree Hill averages out to a B pretty much (not always, but pretty much) all the time.  Those are my thoughts, take them as you will.

I totally agree with you. None of the stuff on either of the shows would happen in real life, because if they were based on real life, they would be BORING! But in my opinion, The O.C is like "Ohh, drama!" while One Tree Hill is more "Wtf? Who does that?".

On the adults, I think the actors on both shows are good, but the storylines given to the adults on The O.C are much more interesting then the ones that I've heard of on One Tree Hill.

As for Chad vs. Ben, I think they're both good actors as well, but Ben is a bit more of an adult actor while Chad can pull off the high-school thing.  Now that The O.C kids are out of high-school and into college, Ben is doing a great job.

Adam Brody is just amazing, in every sense of the word. None of the characters on One Tree Hill come even close to him.

Rachel vs. Sophia: I choose Rachel, all the way. Sophia Bush is an okay actress, but her character is just so unreal, and extremely slutty in my opinon. Summer (Rachel) is such a loveable character, even in her bad moments you still love her. Rachel's character also reacts to things like a normal human being (for example, not accepting Marissa's death and in the process pushing away her boyfriend without even knowing it), while Brooke is such a Drama Queen.

Speaking of drama queens, Misha vs. Hilaire! I choose Hilaire in this one. Misha Barton was always a bit awkward on screen, and Marissa even beats out Brooke when it come to being overdramatic. She had so many ups and downs, you either loved her or hated her, while Peyton is pretty much okay most of the time. (And by the way, in my last post, by "blond girl", I meant the one that's pregnant now and married to the guy. I'm not even going to talk about them, just don't even get me started!)

As for the shows as a whole, I'm obviously picking The O.C. It does have it's ups and downs, i agree with that. When it's bad, it's just "bleh"(season 3 for example).  However, when it's good, it's good. Like AMAZING. Honestly The O.C is doing amazing now with season 4, it desearves more episodes. I can't compare it to One Tree Hill this season because I haven't been watching it, but I've just always preferred The O.C.

loveONETREEHILL

[40]Nov 22, 2006

at first, i loved the oc and only the oc. but then after season 2 it got a bit boring, so i was like "why don't i watch oth" and then i was like "nah oth sucks" but i hadn't even watched an episode yet!

so i watched the season 4 premiere and then i got hooked on and i bought season 2 and 3 dvds.

i'm not really picky about the actors and stuff..so i like them both. i'm just glad that fox hasn't moved the oc permanently to wednesdays to compete with oth. that would be hard for me!