The O.C. Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

Should Someone Else Have Died Instead of Marissa?

  • Avatar of sethsummer4evx3

    sethsummer4evx3

    [1]Dec 15, 2007
    • member since: 12/22/06
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 631

    Before the season 3 finale, there were foilers about Sandy dying of a heart attack. So should someone else have died instead of Marissa?

    I think it would be interesting to see one of the parents die. Like, Kirsten.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of radrobd

    radrobd

    [2]Dec 15, 2007
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 56
    • rank: Texas Ranger
    • posts: 11,327
    Well, the parents weren't leaving the show, but Mischa was. So if they killed off someone else, they would have had to deal with 2 departures - Mischa and whoever they killed off. They could have sent Marissa sailing for a year but then why kill anyone else off?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TheOCfan

    TheOCfan

    [3]Dec 15, 2007
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 2,255
    Actually, it seems that Mischa didn't want to leave. It was either Rachel or Mischa who said in an interview a few months ago that she (Mischa) wanted to stay. Who knows though.

    Anyway, I think Marissa was the best character to die, just because she had been through so much. I mean, there wasn't much left they could do with her. I think that's unfortunate, but that's where her character was by the end of the third season.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of vanlord_52

    vanlord_52

    [4]Dec 15, 2007
    • member since: 06/17/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 256
    In the script for the episode she died, the last 6 pages were missing, and no onw knew what was going to happen. There were 2 different endings, and Josh Schwartz didn't know which he wanted to pick. In one of them, Marissa died, in the other it was just any old season ending with an excellent plot twist. Mischa didn't even know that she was leaving until they were on the set for that episode and he told her.

    Josh Schwartz said that he killed Mischa because he didn't know how to bring her back from what he made her in season 3.

    Personally, I think he could have brought her back, and I think that someone else should have died instead of Marissa.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dyle123

    dyle123

    [5]Dec 15, 2007
    • member since: 11/11/06
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 4,511
    vanlord_52 wrote:
    In the script for the episode she died, the last 6 pages were missing, and no onw knew what was going to happen. There were 2 different endings, and Josh Schwartz didn't know which he wanted to pick. In one of them, Marissa died, in the other it was just any old season ending with an excellent plot twist. Mischa didn't even know that she was leaving until they were on the set for that episode and he told her.

    Josh Schwartz said that he killed Mischa because he didn't know how to bring her back from what he made her in season 3.

    Personally, I think he could have brought her back, and I think that someone else should have died instead of Marissa.

    I agree, they didn't need to kill her to reinvent the show, a reinvention of Marissa and the core four would have been much better! I don't think anyone should have died, not one person died in Season One and it was the best, so they didn't need to kill someone off to make the show good again, they should have stuck with what had worked all along, the core four and tried hard to make up for Season 3. I agree that he could have brought her back if he really tried, it would have taken a lot to get the show back to where it was before Season 3 but I think it could have been done, she was even improving in Man Of The Year and The Graduates, but Josh decided to take the easy way out, at the expense of the entire show, and kill of one of the main characters that made the show work in the first place, I will always say that killing Marissa was a BIG mistake.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sethsummer4evx3

    sethsummer4evx3

    [6]Dec 15, 2007
    • member since: 12/22/06
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 631
    dyle123 wrote:
    vanlord_52 wrote:
    In the script for the episode she died, the last 6 pages were missing, and no onw knew what was going to happen. There were 2 different endings, and Josh Schwartz didn't know which he wanted to pick. In one of them, Marissa died, in the other it was just any old season ending with an excellent plot twist. Mischa didn't even know that she was leaving until they were on the set for that episode and he told her.

    Josh Schwartz said that he killed Mischa because he didn't know how to bring her back from what he made her in season 3.

    Personally, I think he could have brought her back, and I think that someone else should have died instead of Marissa.

    I agree, they didn't need to kill her to reinvent the show, a reinvention of Marissa and the core four would have been much better! I don't think anyone should have died, not one person died in Season One and it was the best, so they didn't need to kill someone off to make the show good again, they should have stuck with what had worked all along, the core four and tried hard to make up for Season 3. I agree that he could have brought her back if he really tried, it would have taken a lot to get the show back to where it was before Season 3 but I think it could have been done, she was even improving in Man Of The Year and The Graduates, but Josh decided to take the easy way out, at the expense of the entire show, and kill of one of the main characters that made the show work in the first place, I will always say that killing Marissa was a BIG mistake.

    I agree. Even though everyone complains about Marissa, the show wasn't very good without her.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JHarperFan

    JHarperFan

    [7]Dec 15, 2007
    • member since: 02/18/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 371
    After a year and a half I still can't figure out why he killed her, it still makes me angry thinking about how the show could have lasted and had all of it's core cast still in tact, it's Josh's fault, blaming Grey's Anatomy was ridiculous, if he had put on a show worth watching with the FULL cast then the ratings wouldn't have plummeted as bad as they did, I'll always have a chip on my shoulder about Josh killing her/the show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of degrassi_lover

    degrassi_lover

    [8]Dec 16, 2007
    • member since: 10/26/06
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 8,237

    Ok, I'm sorry but I don't think that Marissa's death was mainly the reason why the last two seasons failed for the ratings. Not trying to be rude, but your making it as though the show is called The OC: The Life Of Marissa Cooper when it wasn't like that at all. Marissa was just a lead character and died.. The whole series didn't revolve around Marissa, and she wasn't in every story to date. She was just a lead character who died.

    I have to say that I actually liked S3 and S4 of The OC. There were storylines that they could of improved on for the last two seasons, but I still enjoyed them and had fun watching it. You could tell that writers were running out of ideas.. So they brought back Anna and Theresa. Another thing I really don't understand as well was if you really were a true OC fan, wouldn't you of watched it even though your favourite character died? I mean I still watch Degrassi and my favourite character Alex left the show, and its still continuing. I just don't believe that the show was ruined, over Marissa's death. Another thing they should of done was addthe recurring teencharactersto the Core 4, since the group was too little and some of the storylines for the 4 weren't that great.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tyini

    tyini

    [10]Dec 17, 2007
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 385
    i liked season 3 and 4. Season 3 was really dark in my opinion, but season 4 had a lighter feel and i liked that
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of okthen82

    okthen82

    [11]Dec 17, 2007
    • member since: 05/01/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 360
    I don't think the OC would've lasted more than 4 seasons anyways. Ratings have been decreasing each season. Even if Josh kept Marissa alive I doubt we would have had a better season(I loved season 4) or even a fifth seasaon. Say we did have Marissa back, the writers would probably do the whole college bit and almost everyone knows that college years tend to suck. Of course we would have had some sort of cliff hanger that would lead to the plot of a fifth season. I praise Josh for doing what he thought was necessary to bring reinvent the show. If you didn't notice, ratings increased a little in each episode in Season 4. Of course people stopped watching after the season 3 finale, but more people started watching season 4 so Josh and the writers succeeded.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kadodian

    Kadodian

    [12]Dec 17, 2007
    • member since: 07/01/07
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 3,337
    First of all I disagree with okthen82 sorry but I do.

    The O.C was one of the most popular shows of it's time and it still is and ending it was a big mistake.

    No I don't think that Sandy should have died instead of Marrisa because there werent good enough reasons for him to have a heart attack but I think if Kirsten died although she is my second favourite character maybe due to her alcoholism it would have been more fitting.

    But I think if Kirsten died it wuld be too sad for me and the everyone I mean Kirsten is the sweetest character.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of degrassi_lover

    degrassi_lover

    [13]Dec 17, 2007
    • member since: 10/26/06
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 8,237

    I don't think Kirsten should of died either.. or Sandy. Those two were the main adult characters and they shouldn't of been killed off..

    If anything Jimmy could of died.. I didn't like how he kept on being introduced as a guest star and then he constantly messed up.. If he died, then there wouldn't be a need for him to continue coming back for nothing.

    Though I still believe Marissa's death was good.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [14]Dec 17, 2007
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    I dont think Sandy or Kirsten shouldve died, but i dont think Jimmy should have either. He was pretty much done when he left again in season 2, to bring up that he was dying wouldnt be very....important? I dont know. I dont think anyone shouldve died for a s3 finale (nobdody died the first 2) but i dont think they shouldve killed marissa. I like Marissa, and Mischa, and I think that it wouldve been nice to see her turn her life around and finally get **** straightened out since her life was such a mess the past 3 seasons. It wouldve been weird though if Julie still married frank...a BFs dad and your mom ? lol.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kadodian

    Kadodian

    [15]Dec 18, 2007
    • member since: 07/01/07
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 3,337
    degrassi_lover wrote:

    I don't think Kirsten should of died either.. or Sandy. Those two were the main adult characters and they shouldn't of been killed off..

    If anything Jimmy could of died.. I didn't like how he kept on being introduced as a guest star and then he constantly messed up.. If he died, then there wouldn't be a need for him to continue coming back for nothing.

    Though I still believe Marissa's death was good.



    You know I tottaly agree with you.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of okthen82

    okthen82

    [16]Dec 18, 2007
    • member since: 05/01/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 360
    Kadodian wrote:
    First of all I disagree with okthen82 sorry but I do.

    The O.C was one of the most popular shows of it's time and it still is and ending it was a big mistake.

    No I don't think that Sandy should have died instead of Marrisa because there werent good enough reasons for him to have a heart attack but I think if Kirsten died although she is my second favourite character maybe due to her alcoholism it would have been more fitting.

    But I think if Kirsten died it wuld be too sad for me and the everyone I mean Kirsten is the sweetest character.


    What do you mean by "ending it?" The reason why it ended was because of crappy ratings. The president of fox new that and so did the writers. Of course I didn't want to see my favorite show end, but some people are way to obessed with Marissa's character that they didn't even bother giving season 4 a chance. Who knows, if people stuck around we might've gotten another season or at lease a full season order. The fans tried everything for more eps and another season what with the petition and everything but the president didn't want anything to do with the show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lilacouture

    lilacouture

    [17]Dec 19, 2007
    • member since: 12/19/07
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 838
    degrassi_lover wrote:

    Ok, I'm sorry but I don't think that Marissa's death was mainly the reason why the last two seasons failed for the ratings. Not trying to be rude, but your making it as though the show is called The OC: The Life Of Marissa Cooper when it wasn't like that at all. Marissa was just a lead character and died.. The whole series didn't revolve around Marissa, and she wasn't in every story to date. She was just a lead character who died.

    I have to say that I actually liked S3 and S4 of The OC. There were storylines that they could of improved on for the last two seasons, but I still enjoyed them and had fun watching it. You could tell that writers were running out of ideas.. So they brought back Anna and Theresa. Another thing I really don't understand as well was if you really were a true OC fan, wouldn't you of watched it even though your favourite character died? I mean I still watch Degrassi and my favourite character Alex left the show, and its still continuing. I just don't believe that the show was ruined, over Marissa's death. Another thing they should of done was addthe recurring teencharactersto the Core 4, since the group was too little and some of the storylines for the 4 weren't that great.


    agreed! i loved her character in season 1 but season 2 & 3 i was like WTH am i watching, i hated that ass! i loved s4, it was so light & fun- great ending.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SASUGA123

    SASUGA123

    [18]Dec 21, 2007
    • member since: 07/19/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 329

    I agree about the comments made about Marissa towards end of S3-Last two episodes, She was'nt the lost little girl anymore. She was 'evolving' into a stronger girl. Even her relationship with ryan was changing-it no longer matter whether or not they were a together. The importance they held in each others lives was above that title. If Marissa had made it to season four- I imagined her with a pixie cut,reforming, beginning to helping others. Maybe mentoring kids. She could have become a pyschologist. Ultimatley, Josh made his choice, season 4 did give a resurgence to the series. So Seth/ Kirsten dying would have broken the cohen family apart.

    More I think about it- looking at the episodes the choices seem to have been either Kirsten/Marrissa. Both ladies began spiralling down around the same time/ experienced a resurgence near the end of S3.

    I just wish Josh would have done a commentaries on The Graduates!

    Edited on 12/21/2007 12:32am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sellie12

    sellie12

    [19]Dec 21, 2007
    • member since: 04/19/06
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 6,194
    The show would definetely have continued if they didnt kill of Marissa.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of radrobd

    radrobd

    [20]Dec 21, 2007
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 56
    • rank: Texas Ranger
    • posts: 11,327
    sellie12 wrote:
    The show would definetely have continued if they didnt kill of Marissa.


    You don't know that for sure. Ratings were already down. FOX had only picked up The O.C. for a 4th season with 16 episodes. The writing was pretty much on the wall.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.