The O.C. Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

Should Someone Else Have Died Instead of Marissa?

sellie12

[21]Dec 21, 2007
    • level: 18
    radrobd wrote:
    sellie12 wrote:
    The show would definetely have continued if they didnt kill of Marissa.

You don't know that for sure. Ratings were already down. FOX had only picked up The O.C. for a 4th season with 16 episodes. The writing was pretty much on the wall.

True but after Marissa died it went from one low extreme to another
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

degrassi_lover

[22]Dec 21, 2007
    • level: 21

Like I said before, Marissa's death wasn't the only reason The OC failed to progress.. Although I didn't think S3 was that bad, I have to say that it wasn't like the first two seasons.. I mean, The Core 4 began just getting boring.. And plenty of storylines relied on them, and it was to the point no one really cared.. They tried bringing back Anna and Theresa to save the series, but it didn't work.. And in result, I thought that both Theresa and Anna exited poorly. Marissa character has gone from understandable to ridiculous.. And her on and off relationship with Ryan was annoying.. Same with Seth/Summer.. Their little two episode break up was very pointless.. They could of steamed things up with Anna where they hooked up during Prom.. But that didn't happen(though I loved Anna's return)

They could of done so much, but it was a waste.. Though S3 was good. But even though, Marissa died.. The OC most likely wouldn't of lived.

dyle123

[23]Dec 21, 2007
    • level: 26
    Season 1: 8/9 million
    Season 2: 7/8 million
    Season 3: 6/7 million
    Season 4: 3/4 million

The shows ratings were decreasing steadily with each season though they took a huge drop in season four, most likely because Marissa fans tuned out. But we'll never know if the show would have lasted much longer either way if it continued the way it was going before that. If the show did last longer with Marissa I don't think it would have lasted that much longer since sadly people had just given up on the show too soon and too easily. And anyway the shows ratings were going down far before her death due to the poor episodes in season three. So I don't think I can agree with those who say the show would have survived if she lived, its hard to say.

On a side note, I read that the last episode of Gossip Girl got below 2 million viewers, in its first season! I can't believe they cancelled The OC with around 4 million in its fourth season, though I think it's because it was on Fox

mackymacaspac

[24]Dec 21, 2007
    • level: 78

yep, Fox (and NBC! -- please save Journeyman) has a lower tolerance for low ratings, IMO. CW has had several shows with fairly low ratings but still kept them on air.

as to killing Marissa, early in the season, I was already hoping for it and expecting it to happen. though i have to admit, it may have hurt them big time in the last season.

sethsummer4evx3

[25]Dec 22, 2007
    • level: 13
    mackymacaspac wrote:

yep, Fox (and NBC! -- please save Journeyman) has a lower tolerance for low ratings, IMO. CW has had several shows with fairly low ratings but still kept them on air.

as to killing Marissa, early in the season, I was already hoping for it and expecting it to happen. though i have to admit, it may have hurt them big time in the last season.

the CW isn't as big as a network as FOX or NBC, but they have good shows.

OTHgurl23

[26]Dec 22, 2007
    • level: 1

Personaly i hated Marissa, she had to much drama and everything happened to her.

It was like the show was about her, and hello, there were other characters.

I think that season 4 was the best, because since Marissa wasn't in it you got to see more of the other characters.

The best decision they made was to kill off Marissa.

Even though their ratings dropped and the show ended, but still it was a good decision.

electricpeppers

[27]Dec 23, 2007
    sethsummer4evx3 wrote:
    So should someone else have died instead of Marissa?

No.

electricpeppers

[28]Dec 23, 2007
    OTHgurl23 wrote:

Personaly i hated Marissa, she had to much drama and everything happened to her.

It was like the show was about her, and hello, there were other characters.

I think that season 4 was the best, because since Marissa wasn't in it you got to see more of the other characters.

The best decision they made was to kill off Marissa.

Even though their ratings dropped and the show ended, but still it was a good decision.

Agreed, season four is the only season I own on DVD just because I find much of the other three seasons too excruciating. The reason? The Marissa-bot.

electricpeppers

[29]Dec 23, 2007

dyle123 wrote:
    Season 1: 8/9 million Season 2: 7/8 million Season 3: 6/7 million Season 4: 3/4 million The shows ratings were decreasing steadily with each season though they took a huge drop in season four, most likely because Marissa fans tuned out.

While that's quite possibly part of the reason for the decline in ratings during season four, I think it largely has to do with the sheer dross of season three in terms of story. Season three was so poor overall that many people gave up half way through the season and I don't think there are that many Marissa fans to have enough sway on the ratings; not to that magitute anyway.

Edited on 12/23/2007 3:50pm

Firetears

[30]Dec 23, 2007
    • level: 23

Season 4 was NOTHING like the other 3 seasons. Sure, season 3 was more darker than seasons 1 & 2, but it didn't change the entire theme of show. It still had the dramedy element that attracted most of the fans in the first place. Season 4 was almost a pathetic mockery of the past seasons and it was unbearable to watch my favorite show turn into a romantic comedy. Not to mention that the writers tried to forget Marissa ever existed, which was weak a move on Josh's part. Most of the reason season 4 dropped like a bomb like that was because Marissa died, so yes, if someone was going to bite the dust it shouldn't have been Marissa.Me? I would've rather have no one die but Marissa would've been one of the top 4 who stay until the last episode.

I don't see why people keep saying, "It was like the show was all about her." I'm one of the few fans who still watch the show from time to time and I swear I don't know what you guys mean by that. If you mean, she was the leading female character and got a fair amount of airtime, then my question is, what did you expect? All the storylines DID NOT revolve around Marissa and that is honestly the weakest and most inconsistent argument somebody could use in the occasional "I hate Marissa" debates.

Edited on 12/23/2007 4:47pm

stellarchick86

[31]Dec 23, 2007
    • level: 32
    I totally agree with you firetears.

-HAD they done a season 5, I probably wouldnt watch it. Not because Im a Marissa fan, I thought season 4 was okay, but because I wouldnt want another season with kind of boring storylines...Ryan having insomnia, the whole groundhog thing, it just wasnt dramatic or comedic for me (like season 1 was). I enjoyed the whole earthquake thing i dont know why and then first few that deal with Marissas death but other than that, like a whole season based on episodes like the middle ones, I just dont think I would watch anymore.

Firetears

[32]Dec 23, 2007
    I thought season 4 was okay when it was airing but as I watched the entire series all over again, season 4 felt TOO different and it was almost abysmal. I never, to this day, finished rewatching the complete season 4.

By the time the earthquake episode aired during season 4's original course, I didn't really care much for the show(I didn't even bother paying attention on that episode), so I'm with you. If there would've been a season 5, I probably would've watched it because I was bored but that's about it.

degrassi_lover

[33]Dec 23, 2007

Thats kinda funny, because I would say the same thing for Desperate Housewives.. Not The OC..

I love The OC, and its not that I'm forcing myself to like S4.. I just loved S4 from went it even began airing.. And I have to say, if you compare S3 and S4.. I'd say that S4 was a bit better. It was very light, and didn't have that much unnessary drama S3 had.. I mean Marissa sometimes went over the top, and it was just ridiculous.

I loved S4, taylor, she was just flat out funny and original.. She was a nice character introduced, and made S4 very funny.. Kaitlin, was funny at times as well, with her and Gordon. Yes, S4 was different.. But I didn't find it horrible.. I actually loved the last three episodes of The OC.. They were one of my favourites. And now after watching the whole thing on Much.. I miss it

radrobd

[34]Dec 24, 2007
    • level: 54
    I think everyone is overlooking something important: IF The O.C. had been somehow renewed for a 5th season, the show would have to deal with the issue of college. During the 4th season it seemed somewhat implausible that Ryan and Seth would defer college for a year and that Taylor and Summer would drop out but it kind of worked. However, how would they have dealt with it for season 5? Would Ryan, Seth, Taylor and Summer all end up going to the same college, somewhere close to The OC (like say, UC Irvine)? They did that on 90210. Or would they all go their separate ways and the show would follow them to their respective colleges? I think they did that on Dawson's Creek. Either way, it wouldn't have worked in my opinion.

While we're on the subject, I just have to say Summer and the whole Brown thing seemed implausible from the start. First to say that she would get in because of her super-high SAT scores couple with her mediocre grades is kind of unrealistic. Second, once at school, the show NEVER ONCE showed her studying or going to classes. Instead, she was totally wrapped up in Che and his causes. Kind of unrealistic for a first semester freshman. When did she have time to study? Finally, the whole thing about her getting kicked out was unrealistic too. The school wouldn't have kicked her out and said come back next fall they would have kicked her out for good. The dean made the excuse that because of her "impressive record" they would let her come back in the fall. What record? She hadn't even taken any finals yet, so she didn't have any grades to back up this record?

Anyway, The OC ended at the right time because college would have messed up the show even worse.

stellarchick86

[35]Dec 24, 2007
    • level: 32
    Yea, I agree, even though SAT scores are majorally important, if you had mediocore grades...it wouldnt matter that much, especially at an ivy league school that is very popular and hard to get into. My guess is that Summer would go back to Brown, since they said theyd admit her, and Seth would go to RISD, and then Taylor and Ryan would go to Berkeley, and probably end up together. But thats just my guess. Had they dont this, youre right, the show wouldnt have been that great. The 90210's where they are in college arent that great and they all went to the same school (but dont get me started on that lol)

winkipop69

[36]Dec 26, 2007
    • level: 20
    I definately think they should of killed someone else off? Season four wasnt the same without her, especially since most storylines somehow revolved around her. She was the main character. I think volchok should have gone off that road, sadie, taylor anyone else.

Firetears

[37]Dec 26, 2007
    I liked Volchok. I would've prefer if Marissa and Volchok both stayed on the show.

degrassi_lover

[38]Dec 26, 2007

I didn't like Volchok.. I mean, at first he kinda seemed like Jay in Degrassi.. The lovable bad boy.. But he came from tough on the outisde, soft in the inside.. To a violent, abusive, drug addict.. I mean, first he was one of the main reasons Marissa's character was ruined in S3... He finally had a shot with Marissa and he screwed it up.. And finally, he killed Marissa which was an extreme low..

I don't like Volchok at all.. From the beginning yes, but later on no.

nfact91

[39]Dec 26, 2007
    • level: 1
    I personally think Josh Schwartz shouldve done the One Tree Hill route and fast forward the show 4 years after High School. It wouldve been cool to see where the charters wouldve been 4 years after graduating. So instead of killing Marissa and "pigeon hole-ing" themselves into not being able to avoid "Season 5 in college" they couldve just fast forwarded a few years... That's one thing I actually applaud Mark Schawn on doing. The O.C. couldve atlease sqeezed another season or 2 of stories just by jumping ahead

degrassi_lover

[40]Dec 27, 2007

I don't even think the time leap thing was a good idea...

I mean so far S5 doesn't even look at its best.. And even with a few spoilers, this season doesn't really have my eye.. I still believe they could of done the college thing.. I mean every series is different, and who knew.. OTH could of been great!