The O.C. Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

Should Someone Else Have Died Instead of Marissa?

gwen13579

[41]Dec 27, 2007
    • level: 8

vanlord_52 wrote:
    In the script for the episode she died, the last 6 pages were missing, and no onw knew what was going to happen. There were 2 different endings, and Josh Schwartz didn't know which he wanted to pick. In one of them, Marissa died, in the other it was just any old season ending with an excellent plot twist. Mischa didn't even know that she was leaving until they were on the set for that episode and he told her. Josh Schwartz said that he killed Mischa because he didn't know how to bring her back from what he made her in season 3. Personally, I think he could have brought her back, and I think that someone else should have died instead of Marissa.

Is this true? Because then it makes me hate Schwartz and Marissa's death even more. Everyone I knew kept saying 'well Mischa wanted to leave didn't she?' I figured at least that's the only reason why they decided to kill her off. But now I know it wasn't about Mischa, it was about Josh's pick-between-two-endings, it makes me hate the fact that Marissa died more than I ever did. So thanks for posting this, I would never have known otherwise.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stellarchick86

[42]Dec 27, 2007
    • level: 32
    Yes--Mischa didnt want to go! So many people think that, and I dont get why. Josh was even saying that on one of the bonus discs that it was a choice forthe character of marissaand had nothing to do with Mischa. Mischa and Rachel were crying all day on the last day on the set together, which I guess makes sense if what vanlord was saying is true that no one knew the ending because by the time theyd go around to shooting it they wouldnt be crying quite as much because it wouldve sunk in.
    Edited on 12/27/2007 7:12pm

winkipop69

[43]Dec 28, 2007
    • level: 20
    I think that idea was stupid of him. I agree that i would rather have seen ALL of the characters 4 years down the track than him killing Marissa and them sort of going to college.

gwen13579

[44]Dec 28, 2007
    I read Schwartz in an interview one day, saying "I still wonder to this day whether we were wrong in killing off Marissa..."
    - He WONDERS? More like he knows.

sethsummer4evx3

[45]Dec 28, 2007
    • level: 13
    Yeah. They should of had like a minor character die if they wanted someone to die so badly. Mischa said she would of gladly done another season, so they should of kept her on. They could of done a lot with Marissa including a Ryan-Marissa-Taylor love triangle.

degrassi_lover

[46]Dec 28, 2007
    • level: 21

I wouldn't like the idea of a Taylor/Ryan/Marissa triangle.. They already did that in S3 with Johnny, and in result he died(pretty weird how both Marissa and Johnny died)...

But back on topic, Marissa's character was just over by S3. I mean, yes she was a lot of people's favourite characters.. But she didn't make The OC. I thought that it was a good idea of her getting killed off. I mean S4, would of been another S3. Ryan/Marissa should of been stable in S3, but Josh decided not to. And to add Volchok/Marissa in the mix was just awful as well.

S4 was great in my opinion. S3 could of improved a lot though.

alexz_fan89

[47]Dec 28, 2007
    i hated that she died. she was my favorite and i have to say season 4 was the worst of them all. I was never looking specially forward to a new episode when season 4 was airing. I still want it because it's O.C. but still. I think they either should have stopped after season 3 or had marissa leaving like she was and mabey say that it was an accident and that they didn't know where she was and they didn't find her and was missing for months and then she comes back to O.C. in the last eppy and everyone is happy and instead of ryan and taylor they could have it end with summer & seth and ryan & marissa having a double wedding.

radrobd

[48]Dec 28, 2007
    • level: 56
    nfact91 wrote:
    I personally think Josh Schwartz shouldve done the One Tree Hill route and fast forward the show 4 years after High School. It wouldve been cool to see where the charters wouldve been 4 years after graduating. So instead of killing Marissa and "pigeon hole-ing" themselves into not being able to avoid "Season 5 in college" they couldve just fast forwarded a few years... That's one thing I actually applaud Mark Schawn on doing. The O.C. couldve atlease sqeezed another season or 2 of stories just by jumping ahead

Yes, that would have worked. Plus, it would have helped to explain why Adam Brody and Ben McKenzie weren't looking so young anymore. Don't get me wrong, they're still hot. But at the end of season 4, Seth had *gasp* wrinkles and neither Seth nor Ryan looked anywhere close to 19 (their characters ages) because in real life they were pushing 30

radrobd

[49]Dec 28, 2007
    • level: 56
    sethsummer4evx3 wrote:
    Yeah. They should of had like a minor character die if they wanted someone to die so badly. Mischa said she would of gladly done another season, so they should of kept her on. They could of done a lot with Marissa including a Ryan-Marissa-Taylor love triangle.

Nice ideas, but they wouldn't have worked. Nobody would have cared if a minor character died (Volchok or whoever). Marissa's death impacted the show and freed up Ryan for another romance. A Ryan/Marissa/Taylor triangle wouldn't have worked either because in the end it would all be about Ryan and Marissa and Taylor would be extraneous.

degrassi_lover

[50]Dec 28, 2007

A double wedding

That would be very Deesperate Housewives and Passions.. And I didn't like that. If Volchok died, that would of been crappy in a way. Since exactly know one cared about him.. Marissa's death had a lot of impact on the characters, and it was nice to see how everyone dealt with it..Melinda's acting was excellent when she was grieving..

If anything.. Jimmy could of died. I hated how he made guest apperances for nothing.

sethsummer4evx3

[51]Dec 29, 2007
    degrassi_lover wrote:

A double wedding

That would be very Deesperate Housewives and Passions.. And I didn't like that. If Volchok died, that would of been crappy in a way. Since exactly know one cared about him.. Marissa's death had a lot of impact on the characters, and it was nice to see how everyone dealt with it..Melinda's acting was excellent when she was grieving..

If anything.. Jimmy could of died. I hated how he made guest apperances for nothing.

Yeah, that would of been interesting to see Jimmy die.

dyle123

[52]Dec 29, 2007
    • level: 26
    Firetears wrote:

Season 4 was NOTHING like the other 3 seasons. Sure, season 3 was more darker than seasons 1 & 2, but it didn't change the entire theme of show. It still had the dramedy element that attracted most of the fans in the first place. Season 4 was almost a pathetic mockery of the past seasons and it was unbearable to watch my favorite show turn into a romantic comedy. Not to mention that the writers tried to forget Marissa ever existed, which was weak a move on Josh's part. Most of the reason season 4 dropped like a bomb like that was because Marissa died, so yes, if someone was going to bite the dust it shouldn't have been Marissa.Me? I would've rather have no one die but Marissa would've been one of the top 4 who stay until the last episode.

I don't see why people keep saying, "It was like the show was all about her." I'm one of the few fans who still watch the show from time to time and I swear I don't know what you guys mean by that. If you mean, she was the leading female character and got a fair amount of airtime, then my question is, what did you expect? All the storylines DID NOT revolve around Marissa and that is honestly the weakest and most inconsistent argument somebody could use in the occasional "I hate Marissa" debates.

I agree that no one should have died, or maybe an irrelevant person like Volchok could have died and created a dramatic cliffhanger without losing a main star.

You're also right that the show wasn't all about Marissa... ever! But she was important and even though she didn't make the show, she did play a role and she was needed.

degrassi_lover

[53]Dec 29, 2007

I agree. I've said that so many times, people are making is as though its called The OC: The Life Of Marissa Cooper..

Exactly, the show doesn't revolve around her and she isn't in every damn storyline. That pisses me off, when people make it like Marissa was the only reason the show became successful. Because honestly, I didn't really like her character in S3. And The OC wasn't all about her. I mean ratings began to stumble for S3, and can you imagine a S4 with Marissa? It would be the same thing, with her annoying on and off relationship with Ryan.. And having that taylor/Marissa/Ryan triangle would just be an awful idea..

I just don't like how people make it like Marissa was the only important person in the show.

SecFruit_Brucas

[54]Dec 29, 2007
    • level: 16
    degrassi_lover wrote:

I agree. I've said that so many times, people are making is as though its called The OC: The Life Of Marissa Cooper..

Exactly, the show doesn't revolve around her and she isn't in every damn storyline. That pisses me off, when people make it like Marissa was the only reason the show became successful. Because honestly, I didn't really like her character in S3. And The OC wasn't all about her. I mean ratings began to stumble for S3, and can you imagine a S4 with Marissa? It would be the same thing, with her annoying on and off relationship with Ryan.. And having that taylor/Marissa/Ryan triangle would just be an awful idea..

I just don't like how people make it like Marissa was the only important person in the show.

Very very true. But maybe they could have had her leave on her dads boat for months, come back later on and realize everyone moved on without her. I just think Josh sort of gave up on her.

Firetears

[55]Dec 29, 2007
    • level: 23
    degrassi_lover wrote:

You took my posts out of context. You're using what I said as anti-Marissa context when I meant is as pro-Marissa. Many of the people who loved season 4 often say "The show isn't called Marissa Cooper. All the stories revolved around her. I'm glad she left, we concentrated more on core characters." You are one of them who say stuff like that. And nobody doesn't act like Marissa was the only main character, we act like she was a main character and the show didn't mix well with her. If anything, the ones who are acting are those who make it seem like Marissa didn't do anything for the show.

degrassi_lover

[56]Dec 29, 2007

I didn't say that Marissa had nothing to do with the show. Yes, she was the main character but Marissa didn't make The OC thats the point I'm making. Its not that I hated Marissa(she was great in S1-S2).. But her character just fell apart by S3.

All I'm saying is that people are making it as though, almost everything had to deal with Marissa and that the whole season just sucked, since she wasn't part of it. I'm not trying to change's people's opinions.. I'm just believe that people are taking this whole Marissa thing to a new level.

firtle01

[57]Dec 29, 2007
    • level: 5
    If you read descriptions of the show it is about Ryan coming to Newport. He is the main character. Honestly, I was tired of Marissa and while she didn't have to be killed she was a worn out character. I liked season 4, it made me laugh while having good drama.....

stellarchick86

[58]Dec 30, 2007
    • level: 32
    degrassi_lover wrote:

I didn't say that Marissa had nothing to do with the show. Yes, she was the main character but Marissa didn't make The OC thats the point I'm making. Its not that I hated Marissa(she was great in S1-S2).. But her character just fell apart by S3.

All I'm saying is that people are making it as though, almost everything had to deal with Marissa and that the whole season just sucked, since she wasn't part of it. I'm not trying to change's people's opinions.. I'm just believe that people are taking this whole Marissa thing to a new level.

Im a Marissa fan and i dont not-like season 4 because she wasnt on it. It didnt help matters, but the storylines were just...boring. Ryans insomnia...the whole groundhog thing...che and seth in the woods...getting chased by a woman dressed as an alien in the desert....Just wasnt the show I fell in love with.

sethsummer4evx3

[59]Dec 30, 2007
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    degrassi_lover wrote:

Im a Marissa fan and i dont not-like season 4 because she wasnt on it. It didnt help matters, but the storylines were just...boring. Ryans insomnia...the whole groundhog thing...che and seth in the woods...getting chased by a woman dressed as an alien in the desert....Just wasnt the show I fell in love with.

I agree. The O.C. was a great show in S1-S2, and I loved S3 even though a lot of people didn't. But, season four it was like a joke. The first and last couple episodes were great, but it wasn't the same. I thought Marissa's death was a good idea, but season four was kind of stupid in my opinion. Especially CHE!

okthen82

[60]Dec 30, 2007
    • level: 4
    All you season 4 haters seem to forget the superb acting by Melinda Clarke that season and how much screen time she got. Sandy and Kirsten being what we came to love: being great/caring parents to both Seth and Ryan. I loved how we got to see how Sandy and Kirsten came to be in the flash back episode. I loved how season 4 focused on the main characters rather than before(eg. Season 3). I loved how much each character has grown since season 1 especially my fav character, Summer. I agree that the writers seemed to try and forget Marissa but in the end season 4 was back to their roots. It still had great music and it was still hip and funny. I know that the ratings here on this site are bias but take a look at the season 4 ratings/reviews and I'm not the only one who enjoyed it.