The O.C. Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

Should Someone Else Have Died Instead of Marissa?

Firetears

[61]Dec 30, 2007
    • level: 23
    Melinda Clark's acting was always great and she had a lot of screentime in season 3. Julie suddenly forgetting she had a daughter who died and went right back to whoring around was one of the "Let's forget Marissa exists." scenarios that I bring up often. Like someone else said, season 4 was a JOKE! Most of that is because the show just wasn't right without Marissa. Sure, she wasn't the only main character, but she was A main character and held the dramatic sense of the show. The O.C. lost a big element when it lost one of the main characters. I don't see how people can't see that.

And like sethsummer said, the only good episodes were the first 3(I liked the 4th episode as well but that was the only one of the 'joke' eppys I like). The last episode was abysmal and became too romcom at that point. The last few minutes of the finale SAVED that episode for me. I just cannot stand season 4, it's nothing like the original show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

NaleyForeverOTH

[62]Dec 30, 2007
    • level: 13
    Ok I know it couldnt of happened, but Taylor should have died instead of Marissa! God I hated that girl.

winkipop69

[63]Jan 2, 2008
    • level: 20
    NaleyForeverOTH wrote:
    Ok I know it couldnt of happened, but Taylor should have died instead of Marissa! God I hated that girl.

I didnt hate her, but i would have much rather it have been her.

stellarchick86

[64]Jan 3, 2008
    • level: 32
    Firetears wrote:
    Melinda Clark's acting was always great and she had a lot of screentime in season 3. Julie suddenly forgetting she had a daughter who died and went right back to whoring around was one of the "Let's forget Marissa exists." scenarios that I bring up often. Like someone else said, season 4 was a JOKE! Most of that is because the show just wasn't right without Marissa. Sure, she wasn't the only main character, but she was A main character and held the dramatic sense of the show. The O.C. lost a big element when it lost one of the main characters. I don't see how people can't see that.

And like sethsummer said, the only good episodes were the first 3(I liked the 4th episode as well but that was the only one of the 'joke' eppys I like). The last episode was abysmal and became too romcom at that point. The last few minutes of the finale SAVED that episode for me. I just cannot stand season 4, it's nothing like the original show.

Yup, I agree..and I agree with you about her acting too. Especially the "Julie Cooper scowl", I love it!

psych_lover123

[65]Jan 3, 2008
    • level: 4
    Did anyone really HAVE to die? I mean, seriously why couldn't Josh at least keep Marissa? Season four was terrible, we all know it. It wouldv'e been better by heaps and bounds had it still had that warm fuzzy feeling you get inside when Ryan and Marissa are together. Sure, you say Taylor was a good match and they even loved each other. Let me ask you this, Taylor fan, did you find it easier to watch the show pre-Marissa death, and that you forced yourself through the show say all through season four?

degrassi_lover

[66]Jan 3, 2008
    • level: 21

I'm a Taylor fan.. But what I didn't like about what Josh did was that he in a way ruined Marissa's character. I mean was there really anything they could of done with Marissa? I didn't like how Ryan/Marissa had another on and off relationship.. I didn't like how Marissa became one of those good girls gone bad.. And I didn't like some of the unnessary drama from S3. I liked S3, don't get me wrong I just think in a way it could of improved..

S4, I really liked since it was lighter and humours.. Though, I noticed that there wasn't that much drama.. And another thing S4 could of added was more conflict.

gwen13579

[67]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 8
    Should someone else have died instead of Marissa?

Like someone who posted above pointed out, why does anyone HAVE to die?? It's just so stupid. Killing off Marissa pretty much killed the show - for me it did, anyway. It was a low thing to do and I honestly don't see why Josh thought it would be the best thing, especially given he still questions his decision to this day. Johnny had already horrifically died (but he was useless anyway) so why top that with the death of Marissa? Ryan/Marissa was well-loved from the beginning. I loved Seth/Summer but they weren't the same after Marissa died. It didn't seem right going on without her somehow. No wonder it was cancelled. Who wants to see Taylor taking Marissa's place as Ryan's love? I sure didn't.

Volchok - now there's someone who should've died if somebody had to. What a selfish cruel jerk.

ramsfan920

[68]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 38
    sellie12 wrote:
    The show would definetely have continued if they didnt kill of Marissa.

no actually it wouldn't have

charmed4eva112

[69]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 20

ramsfan920 wrote:
    sellie12 wrote:
    The show would definetely have continued if they didnt kill of Marissa.
    no actually it wouldn't have

Well, it could have. No one will ever know though. It's too late to know if Marissa killed the show by leaving it, or saving it.

ramsfan920

[70]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 38
    [QUOTE="electricpeppers"][QUOTE="OTHgurl23"]

Personaly i hated Marissa, she had to much drama and everything happened to her.

It was like the show was about her, and hello, there were other characters.

I think that season 4 was the best, because since Marissa wasn't in it you got to see more of the other characters.

The best decision they made was to kill off Marissa.

Even though their ratings dropped and the show ended, but still it was a good decision.

I only own season one and two cause they are the only ones worth watching repeatedly
    Edited on 01/04/2008 12:11pm

stellarchick86

[71]Jan 4, 2008
    I guess some people just have different opinions on this, and we always will. I personally hated it after Marissa/drama had gone..(but whose to say she wouldnt go off with her father and wed STILL enver see her again?) while some people wanted more of the taylor/lighter aspect.

JHarperFan

[72]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 6
    okthen82 wrote:
    All you season 4 haters seem to forget the superb acting by Melinda Clarke that season and how much screen time she got. Sandy and Kirsten being what we came to love: being great/caring parents to both Seth and Ryan. I loved how we got to see how Sandy and Kirsten came to be in the flash back episode. I loved how season 4 focused on the main characters rather than before(eg. Season 3). I loved how much each character has grown since season 1 especially my fav character, Summer. I agree that the writers seemed to try and forget Marissa but in the end season 4 was back to their roots. It still had great music and it was still hip and funny. I know that the ratings here on this site are bias but take a look at the season 4 ratings/reviews and I'm not the only one who enjoyed it.

Julie's storylines were lame and courny. Bullit was a good character but I hated her thing with Frank and I hated Frank. The OC didn't "go back to their roots." You can't go back to your roots with a lot of your original characters (Marissa, Luke, Jimmy, Caleb) gone/dead. When I was watching Season 4 I blindly liked it because I was trying to appreciate the show while it still existed because I knew it was going to be canceled, but rewatching now, Season 4 just feels, lifeless. There's no cast chemistry, the comedy isn't subtle or tounge in cheek, there was absolutely no drama whatsoever after the first 3 episodes, and everybody just forgot about Marissa. Taylor was also the worst character ever, I know countless people who stopped watching because of Taylor and her annoyance. A lot of people I talked to during Season 4 assumed the show wasn't on anymore since they'd killed off Marissa. Outside of this message board and a few s*ck up critics, nobody was really crazy about Season 4, or even watched it.

degrassi_lover

[73]Jan 4, 2008

Well that really depends. Everyone has their own opinion and I respect that. Fans either hated Marissa or hated Taylor or loved Taylor or loved Marissa.

But even if S4 had Marissa, there was still a slight chance that The OC wouldn't of survived for a fifth season. The ratings for S3 began to get lower even with Marissa in the series. I just think, that they shouldn't of made Marissa become one of those good girls gone bad.. Her character was just ruined in S3.

stellarchick86

[74]Jan 4, 2008
    See now, besides saying that people love Taylor people also say Marissa was ruined in season 3 and I dont ge that. She did some cocaine, slept with volchuck alot, got more moody/mad, but I dont think she was ruined. Kelly in 90210 did countless amounts of coke with her boyfriend in one of the seasons and she was fine after that. I think if Marissa survived graduation night and then kept going the season after that who knows what couldve happened. She couldve went off to Berkely, had a nice job, or she couldve stayed at home with her mom and Neil Roberts and been just as fine that way. Just because a character goes through a lot of s*** doesnt mean they are ruined.

degrassi_lover

[75]Jan 4, 2008

It wasn't that Marissa ruined everything in S3, S3 was fine.. They just could of made minor improvements.

Its not just, because I loved Taylor that I'm going to decide and bash Marissa. I loved Marissa from S1 - S2.. But she began getting involved in too much drama in S3.. Not only was her supposed feelings for Johnny, interferred with her relationship with Ryan(though Sadie in a way got involved too), she began distancing herself from the Gang, and did basically what you said from the above. S3 just made Marissa look bad. And I didn't like that.

Marissa was great in the first two seasons, but I didn't like her in S3.

jra3209

[76]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 15
    In the finale Marisa could of got drunk and ran Taylor over. Then Marisa and Julie cover it up and they could of a story where Marisa is sent to rehab. I mean her character was not done. I mean she could of gone to rebah or something for a storyline for the first half of season 4.

I respect Josh for taking the risk. I guess he wanted all the past fans to hear the shocking news that Marisa was killed off and all of them tune in for season 4, to see what happens.

crazyinluv

[77]Jan 4, 2008

No Wayz!! Marissa getting out of the show after S3 was probably the best thing that happened in that season. Her character was exhausted to death, and I think every viewer knew everything about her inside out (literally!!). I frankly would've thrown up if I had to watch even a single one of those (so-called) tearjerker episodes. And every1 out there who are complaining about S4 being a big joke can't disagree from the fact that had S4 not happened, the serial would've ended on a bitter note. Even I found it weird how quickly Marissa was forgotten, but thats OK. S4 has never been one of my favourites and I always loved the original OC (the one we saw in S1 & S2) but if I have to choose B/w S3 and S4, its S4 hands down!!! The serial was on the verge of collapsing with overplaying Mischa's character, and I'm sure it was either killing her or the serial. They made the right choice..

crazyinluv

[78]Jan 4, 2008

jra3209 wrote:
    In the finale Marisa could of got drunk and ran Taylor over. Then Marisa and Julie cover it up and they could of a story where Marisa is sent to rehab. I mean her character was not done. I mean she could of gone to rebah or something for a storyline for the first half of season 4. I respect Josh for taking the risk. I guess he wanted all the past fans to hear the shocking news that Marisa was killed off and all of them tune in for season 4, to see what happens.

Please don't tell me we needed another Marissa centric season.

EWWWW

P.S The risk would've been keeping Marissa on the show, not killing her

stellarchick86

[79]Jan 5, 2008

Degrassi_lover: You just said before I wrote about Marissa: 'Marissa character was just ruined in season 3'...meaning there wasnt anythin left for her to be but done/dead/out of the picture.

Like JRA said, her character wasnt done. She wouldve gotten over Volchuk eventually and her 'partying ways' (except for maybe doing coke i dont think she did anything all that bad she couldnt return from anyway) wouldve been done. She drank ALOT in season 1 that eventually lead her to pass out in an alleyway almost dead, and she survived for 2 more seasons so I think Marissa wouldve been okay had Josh not killed her off. And as far as her not going to Berkely goes, Summer went to Brown for like a month and Seth didnt do anything at all in seaosn 4 and they were just fine, I just kind of get tired of people justifying Joshs actions and saying 'well she was done anyway' because she was partying too much, or because she was with volchuk, or shes not goign to college, etc and what teenage hasnt gone through all that? I dont think she was, its just those people didnt like Marissa, it had nothing to do with what she did or not.

And Im not trying to single you out degrassi_lover, its everyone who says so.

Edited on 01/05/2008 1:05am
    Edited 2 total times.

dyle123

[80]Jan 5, 2008
    • level: 26
    I agree that her character was ruined in Season 3, she was ok at the start and end of the season but for most of it she was kinda unbearable and she used to be one of my favourite characters!

But I also agree that she didn't necessarily have to die because of that, as stellarchick said, she could have turned her life around etc. That would have been much better to watch and I don't think anyone needed to have died, how great would a season 4 be with Taylor and Marissa, all fans would be happy! Maybe Marissa survives the crash and the near-death experience has taught her to appreciate her life and start afresh! Maybe she's in a coma for a long time and Ryan has moved on with Taylor. Maybe she wakes up and finds for once she has a real love rival for Ryan.

I think Josh took the easy way out to be honest, rather than doing the work and trying the mend the mistakes he made in season 3, particularly with Marissa, he decided he'd just kill her off and try starting all over again, probably why it felt like such a different show. Even though I enjoyed season 4 I still think Marissa's death was a mistake, there were much better possibilities. The Core Four becoming The Fab Five would have been much better than a new Core Four which really didn't work as well.