The O.C. Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

Should Someone Else Have Died Instead of Marissa?

charleyparker

[101]Jan 12, 2008
    • level: 9
    degrassi_lover wrote:

If it weren't for Ryan.. The OC wouldn't of began

You can't say you would perfer Ryan to die over Marissa.. I mean, I'd rather Marissa die any day than Ryan.. And Parker.. I love your banner

thanks
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ankatje

[102]Jan 17, 2008
    • level: 6

TheOCfan wrote:
    Actually, it seems that Mischa didn't want to leave. It was either Rachel or Mischa who said in an interview a few months ago that she (Mischa) wanted to stay. Who knows though. Anyway, I think Marissa was the best character to die, just because she had been through so much. I mean, there wasn't much left they could do with her. I think that's unfortunate, but that's where her character was by the end of the third season.

Yeah I agree.

Though I loved Marissa,they already did pretty much everything with her character that they could do: overdose, drugs, alcohol, divorced parents, love (straight and gay ), friendship, kicked out of school, shootings, the whole trey-thing,... I'm glad that she left the show not because I didn't love her but because I am scared that if they would've kept her in the show she would have become boring or her storylines would've become too complicated and I would've started to not like her.

[103]Jan 17, 2008
    • level: 1
    Yeah i agree, I loved her but having her die, made it more interesting. But it was sad. ( i cried ) But if summer or seth or ryan had die that would be bad. If ryan died the main charactert would be gone, if seth died there would be no humor left in the show and summer would be left on her own. And if summer died seths only true love would be dead. But when marissa died, ryan was sad but he can get over it quicker and better then anyone els.

stellarchick86

[104]Jan 18, 2008
    • level: 32
    I just think Ryan masked the pain better.

Firetears

[105]Jan 18, 2008
    • level: 23
    Ankatje wrote:

TheOCfan wrote:
    Actually, it seems that Mischa didn't want to leave. It was either Rachel or Mischa who said in an interview a few months ago that she (Mischa) wanted to stay. Who knows though. Anyway, I think Marissa was the best character to die, just because she had been through so much. I mean, there wasn't much left they could do with her. I think that's unfortunate, but that's where her character was by the end of the third season.

Yeah I agree.

Though I loved Marissa,they already did pretty much everything with her character that they could do: overdose, drugs, alcohol, divorced parents, love (straight and gay ), friendship, kicked out of school, shootings, the whole trey-thing,... I'm glad that she left the show not because I didn't love her but because I am scared that if they would've kept her in the show she would have become boring or her storylines would've become too complicated and I would've started to not like her.

That's not EVERYTHING. You can never really do everything with a character. Besides, what if she did get boring? A lot of people here are complaining that she got too much screentime. Season 4 could've been about Marissa finding her way and redeeming herself. Season 3 was all about Marissa falling apart so it's only natural to build a character back up after that. I don't think having her as regular character who helped other people out with other people's problems would've been as bad as having her dead.

Also, I just gotta get this out of my system, but to ANYONE who says Mischa can't act needs a serious fat check. No offense to Taylor fans but she blows Autumn Reeser out the water!

Look at her face in The Escape when she got in a argument with Ryan. After he says "Everyday" she has a face full of raw emotions. Regret, anger, sympathy, sadness, etc. That was STELLAR acting on Mischa's part.

Also, do anyone remember in The Escape when Marissa realized she had no one? I absolutely LOVE the part where she says "I have... I have no one." During the pause, there was a moment where she came to the realization that she was alone. She didn't just deliver the line and throw her head down, she acted that part out so realistically. Mischa OWNED that show.

Even in season 3, where everyone said Mischa stopped trying, she DELIVERED. Her break-down in The Game Plan was AMAZING. I don't think ANY other actress on that show was half as good as Mischa.

If anyone can find one scene where Autumn sized up to Mischa's acting skills, please refresh my memory.

Edited on 01/18/2008 12:39pm

stellarchick86

[106]Jan 18, 2008
    Firetears wrote:

That's not EVERYTHING. You can never really do everything with a character. Besides, what if she did get boring? A lot of people here are complaining that she got too much screentime. Season 4 could've been about Marissa finding her way and redeeming herself. Season 3 was all about Marissa falling apart so it's only natural to build a character back up after that. I don't think having her as regular character who helped other people out with other people's problems would've been as bad as having her dead.

Also, I just gotta get this out of my system, but to ANYONE who says Mischa can't act needs a serious fat check. No offense to Taylor fans but she blows Autumn Reeser out the water!

Look at her face in The Escape when she got in a argument with Ryan. After he says "Everyday" she has a face full of raw emotions. Regret, anger, sympathy, sadness, etc. That was STELLAR acting on Mischa's part.

Also, do anyone remember in The Escape when Marissa realized she had no one? I absolutely LOVE the part where she says "I have... I have no one." During the pause, there was a moment where she came to the realization that she was alone. She didn't just deliver the line and throw her head down, she acted that part out so realistically. Mischa OWNED that show.

Even in season 3, where everyone said Mischa stopped trying, she DELIVERED. Her break-down in The Game Plan was AMAZING. I don't think ANY other actress on that show was half as good as Mischa.

If anyone can find one scene where Autumn sized up to Mischa's acting skills, please refresh my memory.

Holy mack! Someone who agrees with me on this situation! I hate when people say she was done in that season...there was so much more to do. I wouldnt say that Sandy was a very dramatic character (he had screentime with his hospital, restaurant, etc but he wasnt like kirsten going off to rehab or whatever) and he wasnt done in season 3. And yeah like you said if she WAS more dramatic, everyone would say she gets too much screentime. Im not going to say Autumn Reeser is a bad actress but compared to Mischa...ah, no.

Edited on 01/18/2008 10:04pm

dyle123

[107]Jan 19, 2008
    • level: 26
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Firetears wrote:

Holy mack! Someone who agrees with me on this situation! I hate when people say she was done in that season...there was so much more to do. I wouldnt say that Sandy was a very dramatic character (he had screentime with his hospital, restaurant, etc but he wasnt like kirsten going off to rehab or whatever) and he wasnt done in season 3. And yeah like you said if she WAS more dramatic, everyone would say she gets too much screentime. Im not going to say Autumn Reeser is a bad actress but compared to Mischa...ah, no.

I definitely agree that her acting is really really good! There are scenes between her and Ryan that are so good the audience can feel exactly what her character is supposed to feel. When she disappeared to Chino and Ryan found her and they had a fight/hug thing, that was amazing. And the little moments between them are so good too, like when he comes around and she asks him to tie up her dress or when they are practicing dancing for Catilion.

Also a VERY VERY sad moment which I found very upsetting, especially knowing she was going to die, was in The College Try when she was talking to that guy, Wes I think, about losing everything and how she never felt she belonged anywhere and that "some people just get... lost." That was heartbreaking to watch and her acting was just perfect.

"Maybe some people just get lost"

I don't think anyone should have died, think about another show like Desperate Housewives, or any other show, if they had a bad season, which arguably DH did in Season 2 would they think the only way to improve was to kill off one of the four main housewives? No they came back with what I thought was an even better Season 3 and Season 4 was better again. Same with OTH, I've only watched since Season 3 but I'm sure they had a season not on par but they know better than to kill off characters the fans have grown to know and love and tune in for. Her death had both advantages and disadvantages but I think they should have worked harder on it and kept the shows dynamic intact.

Then again Josh did say the new management at Fox didn't really want to keep a show like The OC, and I think that was pretty clear since there was minimal effort on their part to revive the show, so maybe it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Edited on 01/19/2008 5:12am

degrassi_lover

[108]Jan 19, 2008
    • level: 21

I actually liked S2 of Desperate Housewives.. I found S3 to be the worst DH season.. Their storylines were just bad IMO.

dyle123

[109]Jan 19, 2008
    degrassi_lover wrote:

I actually liked S2 of Desperate Housewives.. I found S3 to be the worst DH season.. Their storylines were just bad IMO.

Well that's the general view, especially by the critics, towards Season 2, but I liked all the seasons so far. Just using it as an example that you don't have to kill a character to revive a show.

degrassi_lover

[110]Jan 19, 2008

Yeah, thats true.. Haha, I love your icon by the way..

But I guess your write that they don't need to kill someone off to bring the show back on its feet.. Though, I agree with you.. In a way, I found Marissa's death a good thing.. There are several ideas to what could of happend with Marissa in S4.. But I had a feeling if Marissa was alive, they would do a Ryan/Taylor/Marissa triangle..

that70sshow2000

[111]Jan 19, 2008
    • level: 15
    dyle123 wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Firetears wrote:

I definitely agree that her acting is really really good! There are scenes between her and Ryan that are so good the audience can feel exactly what her character is supposed to feel. When she disappeared to Chino and Ryan found her and they had a fight/hug thing, that was amazing. And the little moments between them are so good too, like when he comes around and she asks him to tie up her dress or when they are practicing dancing for Catilion.

Also a VERY VERY sad moment which I found very upsetting, especially knowing she was going to die, was in The College Try when she was talking to that guy, Wes I think, about losing everything and how she never felt she belonged anywhere and that "some people just get... lost." That was heartbreaking to watch and her acting was just perfect.

I don't think anyone should have died, think about another show like Desperate Housewives, or any other show, if they had a bad season, which arguably DH did in Season 2 would they think the only way to improve was to kill off one of the four main housewives? No they came back with what I thought was an even better Season 3 and Season 4 was better again. Same with OTH, I've only watched since Season 3 but I'm sure they had a season not on par but they know better than to kill off characters the fans have grown to know and love and tune in for. Her death had both advantages and disadvantages but I think they should have worked harder on it and kept the shows dynamic intact.

Then again Josh did say the new management at Fox didn't really want to keep a show like The OC, and I think that was pretty clear since there was minimal effort on their part to revive the show, so maybe it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Well, OTH did kill of Keith in season 3. But I do totally agree with you. And besides, Keith was barely in the show, and especially not in s3. Andthey DID bring him back as a "ghost" in s4 here and there.

Anyway, they would have never killed off a main core 5 character. Lucas, Haley, Nathan, Brooke, Peyton, which is what Marissa is equivalent to.

The OC killed of two main characters, and I think Marissa is the one tat broke the camel's back. OTH only killed off one, and Keith wasn't even as a main character as Caleb was on OC.

Josh treated Mischa so poorly for killing off er character. And it didn't even HELP the show. It KILLED it!

Firetears

[112]Jan 19, 2008
    dyle123 wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Firetears wrote:

I LOVE The College Try and that scene was really sad. But just like Wes, it would've been best for her to find her way after being lost, rather than being killed off. Marissa is really a prime example of a tragic character. Her life was ALWAYS going on a downward spiral and the moment she was finally going to escape it all and find her way, she gets killed. That's unforgivable on Josh's part, IMO.

Also, I'm glad you mentioned that scene from The Nana. That's probably my favorite R/M scene in the whole show. Another amazing R/M scene is from The Model Home. They were breaking viewers down from the 2nd episode. I love it when Ryan says "We're from two different worlds." Once again, you gotta give props to Mischa's reaction. I love how she shows a reaction in her face before she delivers the next line.

Firetears

[113]Jan 19, 2008
    Sorry, I couldn't edit the post above for some reason but I just HAD to mention the R/M scene from The Cliffhanger. It was just a wonderful scene but it was also really sad because it's the last time Ryan and Marissa kiss. After that, it's never the same again. Although the dialogue was predictable it was still a great scene. Once again, Benjamin and Marissa delivered. "What do you want from me?"

dyle123

[114]Jan 19, 2008
    Firetears wrote:
    dyle123 wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Firetears wrote:

I LOVE The College Try and that scene was really sad. But just like Wes, it would've been best for her to find her way after being lost, rather than being killed off. Marissa is really a prime example of a tragic character. Her life was ALWAYS going on a downward spiral and the moment she was finally going to escape it all and find her way, she gets killed. That's unforgivable on Josh's part, IMO. Also, I'm glad you mentioned that scene from The Nana. That's probably my favorite R/M scene in the whole show. Another amazing R/M scene is from The Model Home. They were breaking viewers down from the 2nd episode. I love it when Ryan says "We're from two different worlds." Once again, you gotta give props to Mischa's reaction. I love how she shows a reaction in her face before she delivers the next line.

I gotta agree, I think seeing her pull her life together would have been much better. I mean she already started to in The Man of the Year and The Graduates, she FINALLY let go of the Volchuk thing, she was helping out her sister and her and Ryan were helping each other out like old times and getting close again; she said she would be his alibi and then they both tried to get rid of Volchok for good by paying him off. I think they should have used the graduation as a platform for her finally maturing and growing out of all her high-school drama. Her life was back on track and she had graduated, I'd have loved to have seen her continue down that path rather than die in a stupid car accident.

One random thing but, is the car accident death not the most predictable and cliched tv death ever? If they were going to kill her I'd have preferred they let her go out with a bigger bang, just my thoughts! Like Volchok actualy kidnapping her or something, something suspenseful and exciting that would keep you on the edge of your seat with a cliffhanger ending not knowing if she actually died... rather than 35 minutes of happiness with a random car accident in the last 5 minutes of the episode. Anyone think the same or just me?!

Edited on 01/19/2008 3:11pm

degrassi_lover

[115]Jan 19, 2008
    Yeah, thats true.. they could of done somehting like a You Call It Madness, but I Call it love type of thing.. It would of made the episode intense.. But I still find Marissa's death well written.. It was very emotional and sad.. I was like whoa.. Marissa died

stellarchick86

[116]Jan 19, 2008

Firetears wrote:
    it would've been best for her to find her way after being lost, rather than being killed off. Marissa is really a prime example of a tragic character. Her life was ALWAYS going on a downward spiral and the moment she was finally going to escape it all and find her way, she gets killed. That's unforgivable on Josh's part, IMO.

And thats why I love Marissa, you think her life is perfect, shes beautiful, has good friends/cute boyfriend, very popular, is rich, but her life is very far from perfect, shes so complex. Its much better to watch that then 4 kids who have it all and thats that (90210s the only one who's like The OC in a way but i didnt really watch that showing growing up). And thats why I wish they couldve done something more at the end...and I agree Dyle, between heart attacks (Caleb TWICE) and car accidents (Kirsten and Marissa), its like can they not think of anything else?? Although the kidnapping thing they kind of did in a way in that episode where Ryan and Johnny had to get her from the pier when Volchuck took her after she give him that watch of hers, I wanna say its The Anger Management or The Game Plan I forget which one, so basically I wouldnt have cared for that whole thing (unless they took that scene out which I wouldve been fine with ebcause I thought it was kind of dumb anyway), but they couldve done something else to have her die. It wouldve been interesting if Julie were to plot something against someone and somehow it backfires on her and Marissa gets killed instead...its like hse does all these things because she thinks shes protecting her but in the end she hurts her the most ya know? And to see Julie have to live with that...I dont know, just a thought, lol.

And I love The College Try scene too...and the scene where shes trying to convince her dad not to leave- EVERY time I see it I start crying because I really believe it. She was much better of an actress as his daughter than he was as her dad. He just kept saying "no no I gotta go" and "I need to get some perspective...so im leaving." Who says it like that?! I dont know whether its Jimmy or Tate coming across that way but I dont know, I just didnt like how they handled that or how they said these things to Marissa ya know? I cant explain what i mean, I just wish they did it differently sort of.

Edited on 01/19/2008 11:16pm
    Edited 3 total times.

eater11

[117]Jan 19, 2008
    • level: 18
    It would have been good if no one died but someone did and it least it was Marrissa, also they had good reasons for it they had used all possible storylines for her. It also made a good storyline but the storyline could have been better like if they showed the funeral and some emotion from someone else besides Ryan,Julie, and Summer. At the funeral they could have had Luke & Jimmy.

dyle123

[118]Jan 20, 2008
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    It wouldve been interesting if Julie were to plot something against someone and somehow it backfires on her and Marissa gets killed instead...its like hse does all these things because she thinks shes protecting her but in the end she hurts her the most ya know? And to see Julie have to live with that...I dont know, just a thought, lol.

Wow that's a good idea. It's just The OC was always such an overly-dramatic show and that's why I loved it, so you'd think when they were killing off a main character that was very popular they would have done something a bit more WOAH than a lame car crash caused by Volchok! It wasn't bad or anything, I just expected more.

sethsummer4evx3

[119]Jan 20, 2008
    • level: 13
    The O.C. just wasn't the same after she died. It was perfect in season one and two, just the right amount of drama but it was still funny. I loved season three. It was actually a good season. But, season four was a joke. It wasn't the same show I obsessed over. I think that if we still had Marissa in season four it could of been much better. Like a lot of people say it wasn't the O.C.: Life of Marissa Cooper, but she was the damsel in distress of the series. It wasn't the same. But, they could of made season four work without her, but I think it went down the drain because the writers didn't take it seriously and made the O.C. a joke. They could of done so much with Kaitlin and Taylor and maybe we would of been watching The O.C. every thursday night...

Ankatje

[120]Jan 20, 2008
    • level: 6

Wow this looks like a gigantic arguement (?)

For people who have the feeling that I don't love Mischa/Marissa: I can assure you I most definately do. She is an awesome actress and she is so shockingly beautiful, she's looks like a godness I loved Marissa and she made me cry a lot during the show And ok maybe it would've been better that she stayed on the show, and maybe then it wouldn't have been cancelled. But I guess we'll never know that But saying that she was the show is a bit over the top for me I think the whole show is always more important than one character It is absolutely true that she was a BIG part of the show (and she definately deserved it) but don't forget how great the other actors and actresses are Cause they rock too. (Of course they do, they are on the oc)

x