The O.C. Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

Should Someone Else Have Died Instead of Marissa?

  • Avatar of anthj5

    anthj5

    [121]Feb 6, 2008
    • member since: 05/28/05
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 3
    I think after what Marissa went through in the shooting of Trey, in Season 3 herself and Ryan would be strong and wouldn't fall apart. Her demise was just stupid, with drugs and all the other stuff. Season 3 was messed up...
    Edited on 02/06/2008 12:41am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 12678

    12678

    [122]Feb 6, 2008
    • member since: 02/04/08
    • level: 29
    • rank: Volgar the Enforcer
    • posts: 1,438
    Merissa and Ryan are my favourite characters so I think that any of the other characters could have died instead of her (although the show wouldn't have been the same without Seth and Summer)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HeXxXeD

    HeXxXeD

    [123]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 07/23/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,923
    anthj5 wrote:
    I think after what Marissa went through in the shooting of Trey, in Season 3 herself and Ryan would be strong and wouldn't fall apart. Her demise was just stupid, with drugs and all the other stuff. Season 3 was messed up...


    actually it made perfect since she went through so much in the past couple of seasons and no one knew her pain so she held it in and when you hold your pain in its only a matter of time until you let it out either in a safe or dangerous way this of coarse being The OC chose the worst way possible for Marissa i related to her a lot in that season thats probably why its my favorite but it makes the most since for her character to do that because no one understood and Volchok introduced her to a world where she did not have to worry anymore (because its so easy to give into being bad) until she finds out about what Volchoks people did to Holly or w/e her name was and she starts to notice it is not the world she wants... it was really sad because in the last couple of episodes she is just getting her life back on track and then the ultimate tragedy happens
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [124]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    Yeah I completly agree. Many kids turn to drugs, hell I probably would if I had her life..no dad, no sister around, her mom was so self-absorbed...Summer was always with Seth, Ryan with Sadie..so she turned to Volchuck. For some reason because its on screen its "bad" but 100000 kids a day are doing the exact same thing she is. Im not saying its right by any means but its her perogative and I definetly do not think it justifies her death at all.
    Edited on 02/07/2008 1:26am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HeXxXeD

    HeXxXeD

    [125]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 07/23/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,923
    ^ yes exactly
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of GIRLxFROMxMARS

    GIRLxFROMxMARS

    [126]Feb 7, 2008
    • member since: 10/17/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 27

    i don't think marissa should have died.

    I think that if Marissa chose Johnny instead of Ryan (which she kind of did at the end after johnny died.) she wouldnt have died and neither would johnny.

    i actually liked johnny and marissa.

    josh did what he had to do but shows always go downhill when one of the main characters is killed off.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of anthj5

    anthj5

    [127]Feb 8, 2008
    • member since: 05/28/05
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 3
    GIRLxFROMxMARS wrote:

    i don't think marissa should have died.

    I think that if Marissa chose Johnny instead of Ryan (which she kind of did at the end after johnny died.) she wouldnt have died and neither would johnny.

    i actually liked johnny and marissa.

    josh did what he had to do but shows always go downhill when one of the main characters is killed off.

    Didn't she pick Ryan, but then they got into a fight on Valentine's day.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [128]Feb 8, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    Yeah thats exactly what happened
    Ryan broke up with her, she said I want you, they got back together, and then they started fighting about Johnny after he died and then they were done for the rest of their lives.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of anthj5

    anthj5

    [129]Feb 8, 2008
    • member since: 05/28/05
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 3
    How come when Ryan and Marissa got side swiped in their car it was on a road with no other traffic? Is that really believable? What did Marissa actually die of as well? Do you guys think it was the best idea to kill her anyway. Why didn't they just make it she says goodbye to Ryan at the airport and that's that. In my opinion season 3 got a little chaotic. After Ryan and Marissa got into a fight about he was glad that Johnny was dead, did that mean she loved Johnny and not Ryan? I don't know how to interpret that. It was pretty sad to see Ryan and Marissa being on good terms again in Season 03 and then her death. It sould have been a little more "light hearted". In season 04 ho knows, Marissa could have come back or something. The show would have been more open ended. Killing off one of the main characters of a tv series doesn't always work, and in this case I didn't think it worked.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [130]Feb 8, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124

    anthj5 wrote:
    How come when Ryan and Marissa got side swiped in their car it was on a road with no other traffic? Is that really believable? What did Marissa actually die of as well? Do you guys think it was the best idea to kill her anyway. Why didn't they just make it she says goodbye to Ryan at the airport and that's that. In my opinion season 3 got a little chaotic. After Ryan and Marissa got into a fight about he was glad that Johnny was dead, did that mean she loved Johnny and not Ryan? I don't know how to interpret that. It was pretty sad to see Ryan and Marissa being on good terms again in Season 03 and then her death. It sould have been a little more "light hearted". In season 04 ho knows, Marissa could have come back or something. The show would have been more open ended. Killing off one of the main characters of a tv series doesn't always work, and in this case I didn't think it worked.

    Woah, thats a lot of questions at once. Okay..

    1- No its not really believable, but youre just supposed to assume it was so late at night there was no one around. Since she was going over to Greece or whatever it was, she probably took the red eye, that would be my guess, so it was probably later at night. I forget what the street is called but its a really popular street. Also if they added more people than it wouldve been more crazy and he wouldve killed more people...so I can kind of see why they did it that way.

    2- My guess is that she died of internal bleeding, plus when the car rolled over Im sure there was brain damage and other stuff as well. You cant walk away from a scene like that, which makes me mad that Ryan survived because he wouldnt have. Im no doctor, but my guess is when one person dies, the other one wouldve too, that car flipped on BOTH sides of the car..and he walks away with a few scratches...so stupid...I dont think Kirsten wouldve survived either in her accident because her car rolled over alot and...it was horrible. But its tv, what are you going to do.

    3- No I dont think it was the best idea (see #6)

    4- They couldve said goodbye at the airport, but it wouldnt have been as dramatic. They for whatever reason didnt want Marissa on anymore, and if she wouldve went to the islands, then she wouldve come back at SOME point and if they had her leave and not come back it wouldve been very weird. Plus, then theres always the cliffhanger of does Ryan go after Volchock? Does he get thrown in jail? What happens?

    5- Ryan and Marissa couldnt make it work. They fought alot, Johnny was just a catalyst. The break up didnt have to do with whether Marissa loved one more than the other.

    6- I dont think it worked either, but thats a whole other post for me lol.

    Hope that helped!

    Edited on 02/08/2008 10:14pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dyle123

    dyle123

    [131]Feb 9, 2008
    • member since: 11/11/06
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 4,511
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    4- They couldve said goodbye at the airport, but it wouldnt have been as dramatic. They for whatever reason didnt want Marissa on anymore, and if she wouldve went to the islands, then she wouldve come back at SOME point and if they had her leave and not come back it wouldve been very weird. Plus, then theres always the cliffhanger of does Ryan go after Volchock? Does he get thrown in jail? What happens?

    I disagree... Seth saying goodbye to Anna was one of the most dramatic and emotional scenes in OC history and I think if they did it in that style and clearly reference that original scene, maybe Ryan is ok with her leaving.. or so her thinks! And then at the last minute he changes his mind and realises he loves her and, like Seth, screams after her and begs her to stay. Then she turns around, looks back at him with tears in her eyes and keeps walking. Imagine if the played If You Leave again, it would have been ten times more emotional and dramatic.

    And then in Season Five he has to deal with her leaving him for good and try to move on... enter Taylor! There could then be a big shock return of Marissa during the season or in the season finale but is Ryan willing to forgive her? She asks him to choose her over Taylor? Who would he choose?

    Also if she wasn't going to die in the Season finale then I think the other characters would have a big ending that Season too, all the others had no twists that episode because it was all happy leading up to her death, there was no Kirsten/Sandy drama like Season 2, no Seth/Summer drama or anything besides Marissa's death to lead into the next Season, without her death we would probably had a few different twists in the finale, not just her leaving.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of degrassi_lover

    degrassi_lover

    [132]Feb 9, 2008
    • member since: 10/26/06
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 8,237
    dyle123 wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    4- They couldve said goodbye at the airport, but it wouldnt have been as dramatic. They for whatever reason didnt want Marissa on anymore, and if she wouldve went to the islands, then she wouldve come back at SOME point and if they had her leave and not come back it wouldve been very weird. Plus, then theres always the cliffhanger of does Ryan go after Volchock? Does he get thrown in jail? What happens?

    I disagree... Seth saying goodbye to Anna was one of the most dramatic and emotional scenes in OC history and I think if they did it in that style and clearly reference that original scene, maybe Ryan is ok with her leaving.. or so her thinks! And then at the last minute he changes his mind and realises he loves her and, like Seth, screams after her and begs her to stay. Then she turns around, looks back at him with tears in her eyes and keeps walking. Imagine if the played If You Leave again, it would have been ten times more emotional and dramatic.

    And then in Season Five he has to deal with her leaving him for good and try to move on... enter Taylor! There could then be a big shock return of Marissa during the season or in the season finale but is Ryan willing to forgive her? She asks him to choose her over Taylor? Who would he choose?

    Also if she wasn't going to die in the Season finale then I think the other characters would have a big ending that Season too, all the others had no twists that episode because it was all happy leading up to her death, there was no Kirsten/Sandy drama like Season 2, no Seth/Summer drama or anything besides Marissa's death to lead into the next Season, without her death we would probably had a few different twists in the finale, not just her leaving.

    OMG! I agree, the Goodbye Girl was very emotional especially towards Seth. I mean Anna was one of his new close friends and that she was leaving he thought he was to blame.. I loved the final season one moments of Anna.. It was beautiful. But like I said before, even if Marissa survived for S4.. It would probably just return back to its S3 roots.. They would of created a Taylor/Ryan/Marissa triangle which I wouldn't like, and most likely Ryan and Marissa would break up once again.. Marissa's death was one of the most emotional and powerful moments from The OC.. Honestly, if she was alive I still think that the series would come to an end.. Since fans gave up for S3.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [133]Feb 9, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    dyle123 wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    4- They couldve said goodbye at the airport, but it wouldnt have been as dramatic. They for whatever reason didnt want Marissa on anymore, and if she wouldve went to the islands, then she wouldve come back at SOME point and if they had her leave and not come back it wouldve been very weird. Plus, then theres always the cliffhanger of does Ryan go after Volchock? Does he get thrown in jail? What happens?

    I disagree... Seth saying goodbye to Anna was one of the most dramatic and emotional scenes in OC history and I think if they did it in that style and clearly reference that original scene, maybe Ryan is ok with her leaving.. or so her thinks! And then at the last minute he changes his mind and realises he loves her and, like Seth, screams after her and begs her to stay. Then she turns around, looks back at him with tears in her eyes and keeps walking. Imagine if the played If You Leave again, it would have been ten times more emotional and dramatic.

    And then in Season Five he has to deal with her leaving him for good and try to move on... enter Taylor! There could then be a big shock return of Marissa during the season or in the season finale but is Ryan willing to forgive her? She asks him to choose her over Taylor? Who would he choose?

    Also if she wasn't going to die in the Season finale then I think the other characters would have a big ending that Season too, all the others had no twists that episode because it was all happy leading up to her death, there was no Kirsten/Sandy drama like Season 2, no Seth/Summer drama or anything besides Marissa's death to lead into the next Season, without her death we would probably had a few different twists in the finale, not just her leaving.


    I was sayin that they killed her off because they didnt want the Marissa character on any more (so there would be no 'return in season 4 or 5') and THEY probably didnt feel it was dramatic because it was the last time we would ever see her..Id say death trumps an airport visit. I didnt say it was a good choice, however, they did the whole airport scene with Seth and Anna and it wouldve beeen too redudant. R and M would need a better goodbye than that, I think.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of GIRLxFROMxMARS

    GIRLxFROMxMARS

    [134]Feb 9, 2008
    • member since: 10/17/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 27
    anthj5 wrote:
    GIRLxFROMxMARS wrote:

    i don't think marissa should have died.

    I think that if Marissa chose Johnny instead of Ryan (which she kind of did at the end after johnny died.) she wouldnt have died and neither would johnny.

    i actually liked johnny and marissa.

    josh did what he had to do but shows always go downhill when one of the main characters is killed off.

    Didn't she pick Ryan, but then they got into a fight on Valentine's day.

    well i didn't mean that she literally picked johnny.
    But you can tell that marissa thought she made a mistake and that she should have chosen johnny. It's kind of like symbolism with the two necklaces and she picks out the one that johnny gave her. she obviously picked ryan, but i think it was dumb because they broke up the episode right after that, and marissa and johnny both died.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SASUGA123

    SASUGA123

    [135]Feb 17, 2008
    • member since: 07/19/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 329
    This may not go over well, but maybe Joshs always had the death card planned for Marissa's character. He just accelerated it,when he saw the show needed a reboot. Maybe he was originally saving it for Season 5-6

    Marissa knew she made a mistake, she just won't admit it out loud. She had a grieving process for Johhny, a weird one.
    I'm surprised the other character did'nt acknowledge it. I think the writers missed out an opportunity there. She started hanging out with Volchok/adopting his lifestyle as a way of punishing herself for making a mistake.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TamithaSue35

    TamithaSue35

    [136]Mar 10, 2008
    • member since: 03/11/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 3
    This was my all time favorite show and I loved every bit of it, until the fourth season. I still liked it but I really think when Marissa died, the show died. I wish she would have never left. I have watched season 1 about 100 times, season 2 and 3 about 50 times but have not even bought season 4...I will but just didn't like it as much as the first 3. So sad it's gone
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [137]Mar 10, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    TamithaSue35 wrote:
    This was my all time favorite show and I loved every bit of it, until the fourth season. I still liked it but I really think when Marissa died, the show died. I wish she would have never left. I have watched season 1 about 100 times, season 2 and 3 about 50 times but have not even bought season 4...I will but just didn't like it as much as the first 3. So sad it's gone

    Glad someone out there agrees w/ me and Firetears
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of eater11

    eater11

    [138]Mar 11, 2008
    • member since: 02/11/06
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 521
    GIRLxFROMxMARS wrote:

    i don't think marissa should have died.

    I think that if Marissa chose Johnny instead of Ryan (which she kind of did at the end after johnny died.) she wouldnt have died and neither would johnny.

    i actually liked johnny and marissa.

    josh did what he had to do but shows always go downhill when one of the main characters is killed off.



    Johnny was The Worst Character ever. It would have been good if Johnny and Marissa got together so we would never have seen them again. Season 4 was liked by most OC fans excepts the ones who wanted to see the same old stuff of season 3(long dragging pointless storylines and bad characters)

    Johnny = Mostly Hated
    Marrissa = Mostly Hated
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [139]Mar 11, 2008
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    eater11 wrote:
    GIRLxFROMxMARS wrote:

    i don't think marissa should have died.

    I think that if Marissa chose Johnny instead of Ryan (which she kind of did at the end after johnny died.) she wouldnt have died and neither would johnny.

    i actually liked johnny and marissa.

    josh did what he had to do but shows always go downhill when one of the main characters is killed off.



    Johnny was The Worst Character ever. It would have been good if Johnny and Marissa got together so we would never have seen them again. Season 4 was liked by most OC fans excepts the ones who wanted to see the same old stuff of season 3(long dragging pointless storylines and bad characters)

    Johnny = Mostly Hated
    Marrissa = Mostly Hated


    Umm how about season 4 had the pointless storylines.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Firetears

    Firetears

    [140]Mar 12, 2008
    • member since: 06/26/04
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 9,384
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    eater11 wrote:
    GIRLxFROMxMARS wrote:

    i don't think marissa should have died.

    I think that if Marissa chose Johnny instead of Ryan (which she kind of did at the end after johnny died.) she wouldnt have died and neither would johnny.

    i actually liked johnny and marissa.

    josh did what he had to do but shows always go downhill when one of the main characters is killed off.



    Johnny was The Worst Character ever. It would have been good if Johnny and Marissa got together so we would never have seen them again. Season 4 was liked by most OC fans excepts the ones who wanted to see the same old stuff of season 3(long dragging pointless storylines and bad characters)

    Johnny = Mostly Hated
    Marrissa = Mostly Hated


    Umm how about season 4 had the pointless storylines.


    I wouldn't even call them storylines. I'd call them (pointless)scenes. Season 4 had a bunch of pointless scenes and I hated it. NOTHING happened in season 4. Season 3 may not be everyone's favorite but you have to watch it to keep up with the show. I can finish season 4 a freakin' sentence.

    Ryan got with Taylor and Seth married Summer in the finale. Tadaa! There goes the entire season 4.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.