The O.C. Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

Should Someone Else Have Died Instead of Marissa?

stellarchick86

[141]Mar 13, 2008
    • level: 32
    Firetears wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    eater11 wrote:
    GIRLxFROMxMARS wrote:

i don't think marissa should have died.

I think that if Marissa chose Johnny instead of Ryan (which she kind of did at the end after johnny died.) she wouldnt have died and neither would johnny.

i actually liked johnny and marissa.

josh did what he had to do but shows always go downhill when one of the main characters is killed off.

Johnny was The Worst Character ever. It would have been good if Johnny and Marissa got together so we would never have seen them again. Season 4 was liked by most OC fans excepts the ones who wanted to see the same old stuff of season 3(long dragging pointless storylines and bad characters)

Johnny = Mostly Hated
    Marrissa = Mostly Hated

Umm how about season 4 had the pointless storylines.

I wouldn't even call them storylines. I'd call them (pointless)scenes. Season 4 had a bunch of pointless scenes and I hated it. NOTHING happened in season 4. Season 3 may not be everyone's favorite but you have to watch it to keep up with the show. I can finish season 4 a freakin' sentence.

Ryan got with Taylor and Seth married Summer in the finale. Tadaa! There goes the entire season 4.

Haha yea, and Julie/Kirsten have babies..thats about it lol.
    Season 3 wasnt as great as 1 and 2 but Ill take it over 4 anytime. There were some episodes I didnt particularly care for (The Road Warrior, The Journey, Perfect Storm, and The College Try except for Marissas speech) but Itd take them over any s4 episode.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sunaya94

[142]Mar 28, 2008
    • level: 7
    No one really

RHalladay

[143]May 20, 2008
    • level: 6
    I was sad that Marissa died. But her death gave the characters a better focus in season four. Could you imagen if she hadn't died. Ryan would not have left the Cohens. Julie and Dr. Roberts would have been married. Summer wouldn't have run away to Brown.

stellarchick86

[144]May 21, 2008
    RHalladay wrote:
    I was sad that Marissa died. But her death gave the characters a better focus in season four. Could you imagen if she hadn't died. Ryan would not have left the Cohens. Julie and Dr. Roberts would have been married. Summer wouldn't have run away to Brown.

I think they wouldve all went to their own schools eventually. Summer probably wouldve waited until Seth went to RISD (that January), Ryan wouldve went to Berkely SOONER and Marissa either wouldve went on the ship or messed around for a semester and then eventually went to Berekely as well. And I think J/Dr N wouldve ended eventually, it was so rushed (although not as rushed as her and Caleb) and it didnt exactly have a lot of sparks to it. He was probably my least favorite with her for that reason, it just seemed so contrived.

vicky24c

[145]May 22, 2008
    • level: 24
    Yes! If soemone else had gone perhaps they could have saved the show!

Ankatje

[146]May 24, 2008
    • level: 6

RHalladay wrote:

IA, Marissa's death was really sad and maybe she should not have died but she did. And I really loved S4, when you see Summer, Julie and Ryan grieving, it was magnificent Her death created those awesome moments in S4 I wouldn't have liked it if someone else had died like Seth, Summer, Ryan or one of the parents, it would've been to unexpected and i think that Ryan was able to move on after her death, and I don't think that Summer, Seth or Marissa could've done that if Seth, Summer or ryan had died. Their is however one thing that I really missed in S4 and it wasn't Ryan and Marissa (cause I really liked him with Taylor too) but it was the friendship between Marissa & Summer

dyle123

[147]May 24, 2008
    • level: 26
    I don't think anyone should have died. It was ridiculous to think the only way to save the show was the kill off one of the main characters and biggest stars on the show. Desperate Housewives and One Tree Hill have managed to keep all their main cast intact and they're still going. I can't imagine after them having a bad season (like OTH S5!) they would turn around and say "I know what will save the show, killing Gabrielle/Peyton!"
    Edited on 05/24/2008 3:18am

stellarchick86

[148]May 24, 2008
    dyle123 wrote:
    I don't think anyone should have died. It was ridiculous to think the only way to save the show was the kill off one of the main characters and biggest stars on the show. Desperate Housewives and One Tree Hill have managed to keep all their main cast intact and they're still going. I can't imagine after them having a bad season (like OTH S5!) they would turn around and say "I know what will save the show, killing Gabrielle/Peyton!"

I felt and still feel the same way. The problem was that people starting turning on Marissa during season 3 and Josh or whoever that made the final decision decided to adhere to those people than the people who still like her and didnt like s4 without her. It was lose fans because of Marissa being there, or not being there, and unforunately he chose not being there.

caz259

[149]May 30, 2008
    • level: 10

stellarchick86 wrote:
    dyle123 wrote:
    I felt and still feel the same way. The problem was that people starting turning on Marissa during season 3 and Josh or whoever that made the final decision decided to adhere to those people than the people who still like her and didnt like s4 without her. It was lose fans because of Marissa being there, or not being there, and unforunately he chose not being there.

well he got back a viewer, i hated marissa she was always whiny and annoying, and i loved season 4

degrassi_lover

[150]May 30, 2008
    • level: 21
    caz259 wrote:

stellarchick86 wrote:
    dyle123 wrote:

well he got back a viewer, i hated marissa she was always whiny and annoying, and i loved season 4

I agree. I mean Marissa was just ruined and overkilled during S3. And it bothered me how she alwways messed things up with Ryan(Oliver and Johnny).

dyle123

[151]May 30, 2008
    • level: 26

But I still think, as much as I enjoyed S4, that it would have been better to redeem Marissa's character (which they were beginning to do) and see her transform and finally mature, rather than taking the easy option and just killing her off because they felt there was no where left to go with her. And that says a lot about the writers who were unable to fix one of the most popular and well known characters and so just killed her off and threw away a lot of fans. I know many people didn't like her after S3, I myself got sick of her, but she still has SO many fans.

If I can compare to another show again, Meredith in Grey's has been through so so much, ups and downs, deaths, shocks, rejection, her own near-death experience, on/off with Derek... yet you don't see the writers throwing her into a car accident and saying "goodbye!" The MerDer relationship became unbearable, IMO, during S4 but they came back after the strike and "fixed" her character, she healed.

Now I would have been much more interested in a S4 story of Marissa Cooper's redemption, revival, maturity, growth, a Serena van der Woodsen type of comeback! I still think we could have had the Ryan/Taylor relationship developing while Marissa sorts herself out.. and then Marissa finally has a real rival for Ryan. Season 4 ends with Ryan/Taylor very serious... but Marissa's finally sorted out her issues and wants Ryan back!

Or maybe she does leave on the boat with her dad and S4 is exactly the same as we saw it... but then in the very last minute of the finale, Marissa's back! And she wants Ryan! Who would he choose? Tell me that wouldn't have brought interest in the show and pleased fans as well as creating loads of excitement for S5!

The first 3 episodes of S4 were amazing as were the last two of S2 when Caleb died... but in the long-run were we really better off without those characters?

Edited on 05/30/2008 4:23pm
    Edited 2 total times.

jra3209

[152]May 30, 2008
    • level: 15
    degrassi_lover wrote:
    caz259 wrote:

stellarchick86 wrote:
    dyle123 wrote:

I agree. I mean Marissa was just ruined and overkilled during S3. And it bothered me how she alwways messed things up with Ryan(Oliver and Johnny).

Many people HATED Marissa in season 3. But she shouldn't of been killed off. Some suggested she should of moved and became a recurring character in season 4. I don't. I think she should of returned in Season 4 but made in like 6 months in the future and have given her Taylor's marriage story.

stellarchick86

[153]May 30, 2008
    dyle123 wrote:
    it would have been better to redeem Marissa's character (which they were beginning to do) and see her transform and finally mature, rather than taking the easy option and just killing her off because they felt there was no where left to go with her. And that says a lot about the writers who were unable to fix one of the most popular and well known characters and so just killed her off and threw away a lot of fans. If I can compare to another show again, Meredith in Grey's has been through so so much, ups and downs, deaths, shocks, rejection, her own near-death experience, on/off with Derek... yet you don't see the writers throwing her into a car accident and saying "goodbye!" The MerDer relationship became unbearable, IMO, during S4 but they came back after the strike and "fixed" her character, she healed. Now I would have been much more interested in a S4 story of Marissa Cooper's redemption, revival, maturity, growth, a Serena van der Woodsen type of comeback!

I agree with everything you said right there. I didnt mind Marissa in s3, probably because I was a fan to begin with, but if she was really THAT horrible, I wish they couldve just made her character a little different in places or something.

bnoblitt

[154]May 31, 2008
    • level: 3
    I hated Marissa the whole show, but especially in season 3 so I'm actually glad that she died. Especiall since Taylor was so amazing in season 4.

meeshhead

[155]Jun 8, 2008

dyle123 wrote:

I don't think that killing off one of the main characters to save the show was their original intention. My guess is that Mischa made it known that she wanted to leave, and they used that as an opportunity to have a shocking season finale. It was then that they thought that it might save the show. That's my opinion.

lovingtheoc

[156]Jun 10, 2008
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Firetears wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    eater11 wrote:
    GIRLxFROMxMARS wrote:

I think that if Marissa chose Johnny instead of Ryan (which she kind of did at the end after johnny died.) she wouldnt have died and neither would johnny.

josh did what he had to do but shows always go downhill when one of the main characters is killed off.

Johnny was The Worst Character ever. It would have been good if Johnny and Marissa got together so we would never have seen them again. Season 4 was liked by most OC fans excepts the ones who wanted to see the same old stuff of season 3(long dragging pointless storylines and bad characters)

Johnny = Mostly Hated
    Marrissa = Mostly Hated

I wouldn't even call them storylines. I'd call them (pointless)scenes. Season 4 had a bunch of pointless scenes and I hated it. NOTHING happened in season 4. Season 3 may not be everyone's favorite but you have to watch it to keep up with the show. I can finish season 4 a freakin' sentence.

Ryan got with Taylor and Seth married Summer in the finale. Tadaa! There goes the entire season 4.

Season 3 wasnt as great as 1 and 2 but Ill take it over 4 anytime. There were some episodes I didnt particularly care for (The Road Warrior, The Journey, Perfect Storm, and The College Try except for Marissas speech) but Itd take them over any s4 episode.

OMG Marissa got so annoying on S3, it was kind of oliver all over again, and Oliver was intersting, even tho I think she acted pretty stupid, but with jhonny... she was so so stupid and annoying, and I don't know how ryan took it for so long, then she choosing that stupi jhonny when he died... I didn't like that... Marissa's dead was really shocking and a great finale, but they could have had her like in a coma then after a while everyone moves on and then maybe she comes back and she ha to deal with everyone and everything being different.. thtat would of been interesting.. I guess...

stellarchick86

[157]Jun 22, 2008
    lovingtheoc wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Firetears wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    eater11 wrote:
    GIRLxFROMxMARS wrote:

Johnny = Mostly Hated
    Marrissa = Mostly Hated

OMG Marissa got so annoying on S3, it was kind of oliver all over again, and Oliver was intersting, even tho I think she acted pretty stupid, but with jhonny... she was so so stupid and annoying, and I don't know how ryan took it for so long, then she choosing that stupi jhonny when he died... I didn't like that... Marissa's dead was really shocking and a great finale, but they could have had her like in a coma then after a while everyone moves on and then maybe she comes back and she ha to deal with everyone and everything being different.. thtat would of been interesting.. I guess...

There are so many statements you just made that I can argue about but Im too tired to type it all out. Also, people have differnt opinions. I liked season 3 more, you liked season 4 more. End of story.

tvfan332

[158]Jun 25, 2008
    • level: 37

I don't think the writers needed to kill Marissa off. I liked the character, and Mischa Barton but by season three her problems were a bit hard to sit through, I sort of felt that we were getting the old Marissa back in the season three finale...then she dies in a car crash. I'd have loved Marissa to have stayed on for season four, but I'm not exactly complaining about it since season four was the best this show had.

gentleSamurai

[159]May 29, 2011
    • level: 1

Since I'm so late with this, probably nobody is going to read my comment, but anyway, I didn't want Marissa to die. I just wanted her to go off on that boat. I would have been fine with her not being on the show because I don't care for her too much, but she didn't have to literally die.

Sandy is my second favorite character so it would have been terrible if he died, but it would have been interesting to see the affect that it would have on Kirsten and Ryan especially. I see Kirsten turning to alcoholism again and Sandy was the first and only father figure Ryan ever knew. I would have loved to see Ben McKenzie act that out.

I hate the ideas of love triangles. Why can't the storylines revolve around the characters internally. Why does there always have to be a third party getting in the way? Ryan/Taylor/Marissa would have been terrible!

LeytonTLA

[160]Jul 27, 2011
    • level: 16
    i just dont think she should of died, her and ryan were amazing seth and summer were amazing they could of added some drama and it would of been great! dawsons creek managed two seasons with all the kids at different school it can work!