The O.C. Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

The merchandise thread

stellarchick86

[1]Jan 18, 2009
    • level: 32
    I dont think there was a thread on this before but I could be wrong of course..

Anyway, which merchandise from The OC do you own? It can official or unofficial or anything related to it (books, t-shirts, dvds, even coffee mugs, etc).

I have seasons 1-3 so far on DVD and I am also getting one of those "Free Marissa" t-shirts shipped to me from wbtvshop.com (there are other OC shirts you can get there as well like one that says 'Ew' and one that has Captain Oats on it). Ive always wanted one and never got it and its only $7 right now so I thought why not? lol.

PS- Does anyone own one of those little novel books that has Seth on the outside and says 'The Misfit' and then one with Ryan and itll say like "The Outsider" or whatever and one with Marissa that says "The Girl Next Door" (I think)? I was just wonderin how they were. Are they like really good bios/analyses of them or what? Is it worth getting, basically? Thanks!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

crashingdoors

[2]Jan 19, 2009
    • level: 13

I've always wondered about those books as well. They're on my eBay "saved searches"--for o.c. book lot (I'd like to just get them all in one auction if possible). The only reviews I've read about the novels say that they are basically adaptations of the episodes, but they provide a little more detail and insight into the characters thoughts.

I have 2 posters, only 1 hung up though.

I got it sometime when the first season was still airing brand new, from Wal-Mart. Back when it was THEE show.

I got this one at the same time too, but took it down after a while because my wall got a bit cluttered.

There are some other posters that I like more, and eventually I might try to find one of the original promo posters that came out the summer of the shows debut ("The Misfit", "The Boyfriend", "The Outsider", "The Girl Next Door", and the plain-ish one with the surfer girl) and have it framed.

I've also got the original seasons 1-3 DVD sets, the Target edition of season 4, and the Complete Series set too. Eventually, when my sister (now 11) gets a little older, I'll probably pass on the individual season sets to her. Well, I'll keep the season 4 one since it's got the collectible cover. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

And... hm... I have Mix 1. I've been meaning to get the rest of the soundtracks.

Every now and then I go to the official shop (which I'm surprised is still up, to be honest) and I'd LOVE to get that "surger girl" blanket, even though it's really expensive. And the back pack. And the key chains, even though I really don't need 4 of them. I might actually get that "FREE MARISSA" shirt since it's so cheap, but I'd rather have the Captain Oats or Harbor Pirates shirt instead.

It'd be nice if there was an official "companion" book for the show, or an official calendar.

stellarchick86

[3]Jan 20, 2009

Hey, CrashingDoors, thanks for writing back!

Wow, you have some great stuff! You definetely put my collection to shame haha! I didnt actually get into the show until the third season and still thought it was excellent (haha I know right? Thats because I didnt have the other 2 to compare it to) because I was over at my friends house and she was obsessed with the show and it came on Fox at the time I was there. She didnt have a tivo or anything so she was like "we HAVE to watch it!" I was like ok..Ill give it a go, I love everything Southern California-related and Im pretty openminded. I had no idea at the time but looking back Im pretty sure it was "The Shape Of Things To Come" we saw. With that ending and everything- I was hooked! Anyway, so I didnt get a whole lot of merchandise beyond my s1, 2 and 3 DVDs (sorry I just cant bring myself to buy season 4) because the show was pretty much over by the time I really got into it (I borrowed my friends s1 and s2 dvds that summer to catch up with what had happened before because I did not understand the whole Ryan story and my friend didnt want to ruin it for me. Then I bought season 3 myself and caught back up with that before s4 started, and then watched season 4 live on Fox and then went back and bought s1 and s2 somewhere in that meantime on the side. Sorry, I know thats confusing lol).

Anyway, I didnt mean for you to scan in your posters or anything but it was nice that you did! That first one is awesome and the 2nd one makes B Mck look really good..I never thought B Mck was ugly but I never thought he was soo hot either but that poster is awesome! Those other posters they have sound good, sounds exactly like the books they have available, except I didnt know they had one on Luke. I didnt really know what was in the books, so thank you, but I may not get them if its just like excerpts from the show or anything. I thought maybe it was like a bio but really in depth. Im a psych major so I love reading..well basically case studies on people (I think thats why I love Marissa so much because shes so messed up). What is the 'Target' edition anyway, I never heard of that before? I dont have any of the CDs because I just download the songs I like and know what they are from www.musicfromtheoc.com. I have like 200 songs at least Im not sure (although maybe 20-30% is from One Tree Hill as well, to be fair). I thought about getting that Captain Oats t-shirt but I dont know.. Im actually broke so I really shouldnt have gotten the Marissa one anyway, but since Ive been wanting it for a while and since it was $7 I was like "maybe I should get it in case they get rid of them or something, since they are so cheap?" so. And I had looked for a while to find one but most of them said 'Save Marissa' and it wasnt the same picture of Mischa Barton (I know Im so particular lol) and then I came across that one so that was another reason I thought I had to get it, because otherwise they are hard to find, lol!

crashingdoors

[4]Jan 26, 2009

The pictures of the posters I actually found on a Google image search. There are at least 8 other ones that you can still buy, and for under $10 (if you're interested anyway).

Ah, the story of the season 4 DVD. I remember having a lot of discussions about that, either on this forum of on TheOCShow.com; when the initial artwork was first released, a lot of people were extremely disappointed--almost disgusted. Go here (TVshowsonDVD.com) for the story. Basically, it's just a different cover, and an exclusive bonus disc.

The CDs, at least Mix 1, have posters (basically, the covers just fold out to a 7"x10" or so poster). I only have Mix 1, but I'd assume that the other volumes have posters.

stellarchick86

[5]Jan 26, 2009
    crashingdoors wrote:

The pictures of the posters I actually found on a Google image search. There are at least 8 other ones that you can still buy, and for under $10 (if you're interested anyway).

Ah, the story of the season 4 DVD. I remember having a lot of discussions about that, either on this forum of on TheOCShow.com; when the initial artwork was first released, a lot of people were extremely disappointed--almost disgusted. Go here (TVshowsonDVD.com) for the story. Basically, it's just a different cover, and an exclusive bonus disc.

The CDs, at least Mix 1, have posters (basically, the covers just fold out to a 7"x10" or so poster). I only have Mix 1, but I'd assume that the other volumes have posters.

Oh oops! My bad, nevermind then!

Yeah, I remember that discussion, it was the one with them on an orange couch with a white background or something? IDK, I didnt mind it but then again I dont have the yellow one either so lol. But Im glad it turned out to be the yellow one so that the whole non-uniformed one was the s3 one since that was Marissas last season lol

Oh ok, well thats cool! Ill keep that in mind- thanks!

pozipie

[6]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 1
    can you think of a childrens TV program that doesnt have any merchandise?

pozipie

[7]Feb 1, 2009
    • level: 1

also do you think it wouldbe possible for TV channels to produce shows without using merchendising to boost profits?

any help would be great... trying 2 research argh !

sethsummer4evx3

[8]Feb 21, 2009
    I have all the DVD Sets, the Free Marissa shirt, O.C. Perfume, Some posters, All The CDS, and some other stuff. Are the books any good?

stellarchick86

[9]Feb 21, 2009
    sethsummer4evx3 wrote:
    I have all the DVD Sets, the Free Marissa shirt, O.C. Perfume, Some posters, All The CDS, and some other stuff. Are the books any good?

Wow, thats awesome as well. Whats the perfume like? And how is it 'OCish' is it in the shape of that girl with the surfboard or something?

sethsummer4evx3

[10]Feb 22, 2009
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    sethsummer4evx3 wrote:

Wow, thats awesome as well. Whats the perfume like? And how is it 'OCish' is it in the shape of that girl with the surfboard or something?

No, it's just a square pink bottle with the O.C. logo on it. It smells really good though.

stellarchick86

[11]Feb 22, 2009
    sethsummer4evx3 wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    sethsummer4evx3 wrote:

No, it's just a square pink bottle with the O.C. logo on it. It smells really good though.

Ah, ok. Well thats cool I just never heard of it before so I didnt know what it made it "OC-like". If it was like in that shape of that or if it had pictures of the actors on it or what.

dool_girl

[12]Feb 28, 2009
    • level: 27
    I own all 4 seasons on DVD...Im probably going to go ahead and get the entire season pack soon just because I want the extras that are on that and I think the packaging would be a lot more easier for me to keep track of I always am missing one of my boxed set it seems!

I also have a couple posters and I have a lot of the OC perfumes too I dont think they are available anymore? I could be wrong but I tried to find some and couldnt. It smells wayy good. My friends know how much I love the OC so for my birthday a couple years ago they all got me like 10 things of the perfume and im finally almost out...sadly!

Hmm I totally am going to look into getting a Free Marissa shirt! I want one!

And Id like to read the books but i didnt know if theyd be so much like the show that id get bored...so someone should let us know

stellarchick86

[13]Feb 28, 2009
    dool_girl wrote:
    Im probably going to go ahead and get the entire season pack soon just because I want the extras that are on that and I think the packaging would be a lot more easier for me to keep track of

If they added a bunch of bonus stuff Id probably get it but it seems the same as the other seasons so Id be mainly buying it for the photos which youd probably be able to find online somewhere. I bought one of those big black things that stores DVDs in them because my dvds were getting chipped and scratched from pushing them out of the dvd cases so much so at least I dont have to worry about that anymore and have to buy new seasons. The disc that has Rachel on it from the first season has a lot of cracks in it though around the inner middle (like where its pure plastic) so I kinda worry about that though lol. But if someone wanted to buy me the complete season for like my bday or something I wouldnt mind it but Id probably not bother to go out and buy it myself ya know. I dont have a job at the moment so there are a million other things on my agenda lol

dool_girl wrote:
    Hmm I totally am going to look into getting a Free Marissa shirt! I want one!

You totally should! Especially if youre a big Marissa fan, like me. If it was 'Free Summer' I probably wouldnt bother but considering its Marissa I had to. I just love it.
    dool_girl wrote:
    And Id like to read the books but i didnt know if theyd be so much like the show that id get bored...

Thats how I feel about it too. Like I was on the official OC website or somewhere online I came across and it went a bit into character details/analysis which I find fascinating (must be the psych major in me) (although it was mainly on Marissa I think) so if it was like that Id be first in line because it talked about things in the show I never even thought about, but if its basically like the show but book version I probably wont bother.
    Edited on 02/28/2009 4:20pm

pinkweeny84

[14]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 3
    i have the series collection

stellarchick86

[15]Jun 25, 2009
    I was online searching for something from The OC and I ran across this website that sells The OC trivia game. I thought this was really awesome, especially since I didnt even know there was one. I was wondering if anyone had it and if they did what they thought? Im skeptical because I dont really have any friends that are REALLY into The OC enough to make this game interesting (I got the 'Friends' trivia game and my friends watch that show but not enough to make the game interesting so we played it and it was kinda boring and I dont really want to go through that again lol) but I still want to get it, lol. Any thoughts? http://www.redsave.com/products/the-oc-game,,163

sellie12

[16]Jun 25, 2009
    • level: 18

I have all four seasons. Although the season one box is starting to realize the harsh effects of decay. I own Mixes 1,2,4 and 5. I know Barnes & Noble (Certain locations, not all. You could best find them in the bigger stores; the ones with more stock space.) carry the books. I also have a book called The OC Undercover. It's probably out of print by now.

EDIT: The books are basically the episodes in novel form. I skimmed one based on "The Escape" and it told basically the same story just with a few added in parts to make the book longer. But, as an OC fan, anything affiliated with the show is interesting. At least to me.

Edited on 06/25/2009 5:36pm
    Edited 3 total times.

dool_girl

[17]Sep 30, 2009
    • level: 27
    So I had some time to kill this evening and so I went by Borders and they had this clearance section with $1.00 books so I skimmed them and I found a "The OC" Book! It was entilted "The Misfit" and focused on seth. I read the entire book in like 45 minutes lol so it was definitly a simple read, it was quite similar to the show...in fact very but it was kind of cool to read it

stellarchick86

[18]Oct 25, 2009
    "THE OC SCENE IT? BOARD GAME.."- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J55I4E

Has anybody else "seen" this before? Have they played it, and is it good? I discovered this by accident but now I'm intrigued. I have the 'Friends' Scene It? game so I know how it is but I also asked those on the Friends forum if they thought it was good first before I bought it. So Im just wondering what people thought? The thing that sucks is that I had basically 1 friend who liked this show (the one who got me into it) and her and I arent even friends anymore..So I dont really know who to play it with lol

iheartlost

[19]Dec 12, 2009
    • level: 9
    i got the scene it game! it kind of sucks though because i'm so into the oc, i don't have any worthy opponents to play against. i wish i could find someone who knows as much as i do to give me at least a little bit of a challenge!

stellarchick86

[20]Dec 12, 2009
    iheartlost wrote:
    i got the scene it game! it kind of sucks though because i'm so into the oc, i don't have any worthy opponents to play against. i wish i could find someone who knows as much as i do to give me at least a little bit of a challenge!

Ahh! Im glad its good. And I know how you feel.