The O.C. Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

The OC or One Tree Hill

alirk

[1]Apr 7, 2009
    • level: 22
    Which do you prefer?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danger_liaisons

[2]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 6
    ^^ The OC definitely. The OC never disappointed me. Although it had weak storylines during the final two seasons, I thought it was still interesting.

Unlike OTH where the adult years are just boring.

stellarchick86

[3]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 32
    This has been debated A TON just like s3 vs s4 debates. More people here are going to say The OC, more people there are going to say OTH. Nothing special.

dool_girl

[4]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 27
    I personally like them both. I would def pick the OC over OTH if i absolutely had too, but in the end i just like them both and im happy one of them is atleasst still on the air!

heroesfan07

[5]Apr 13, 2009
    • level: 21
    Well OTH had two terrible seasons 2 & 5,a mediocre one 6 and three great ones 1,3,4.But The O.C. had four great seasons 1,2,3,4.So OC wins!

stellarchick86

[6]Apr 14, 2009

I will say one thing thought to add to this though. I love The OC dearly and its my favorite show but there are 2 things that bug me and that happen alot, that tie in together, that they didnt so much with OTH.

1.) With OTH, they utilize their cast they already have as much as possible rather than bringing outside forces to cause drama all the time and then once they are done with said drama, ship them off to some other state (like Lindsay for ex, once she was revealed as Calebs daughter and they spent some time together, she was shipped off to Chicago never to be heard from again). During OTHs season 1, they had some outside characters come in but if they ever left they kept in touch or the storyline leading to their exit was built up so it wasnt just like "oh by the way Ill be gone in a few days" like it was with Anna, Luke, Lindsay, Sadie, etc. With OTH's S2 they did have Anna/Felix which pretty much was one of those things where they left never to be heard from again but OTH learned their lesson on that one and never really did it again, plus no one really cared for the 2 of them and they werent that integral so we brushed it off. Everyone loved Anna, Alex, Luke, etc. So they sort of learned from that mistake and hadnt done it in any other season. Even with the 4 year gap between s4 and s5, they still had characters that were in s4 come back to sort of explain what happened to the audience in that 4 year period and why some couples arent together anymore or whatever happened to so and so or whatever. With The OC, they dont really do it alot, Hailey and Luke were like the only ones to come back (and I thought even Hailey could come back more, especially the time around the Lindsay scandal) but everyone else no (unless you count Anna and Theresa) but even with them coming back, they dont even keep in touch with these people. Like the whole Theresa/Ryan thing being wrapped in 1 episode..its ridiculous. I just feel like The OC depends too much on outside characters for drama and then once they dont know what to do with them ship them off (Alex, Anna, Sadie, Luke, Lindsey, etc) rather than just making better usage of the characters they have when its so contrived that no one would ever talk to these people again. I remember alot of people getting annoyed that Summer finally got her own storyline in s4 when she was going off to Brown and being a political activist and all that. Their equivilant, Brooke, got a storyline in s2 at the latest. So thats all Im saying there, that they dont really utilize the main cast that much, rather they have the main case REACT to things outside forces do.

2.) They have better continuity there than here. With The OC, sometimes the characters are a little off. One day Marissas mad at her mom and being rebellious, the next day shes being nice and sweet to her, the next day shes mad again, even when nothing new happens. Kirsten and Luke do a 180 it seems overnight (Luke it was overnight, with Kirsten it was from s1-s2 and then again from s2-s3. Same with Ryan/Marissa: one day hes mad at her for lying about DJ, then a few episodes later they are alright again, then hes taking his feelings out on her about stuff she did in s1, etc. We saw Kirsten madder than he11 at Caleb for the Lindsay situation and then a few episodes later Kirstens 100% fine with him again. What happened- did he apologize that we didnt see? Does she just have pity on him because shes the only one he has left and she forgave him without saying so? Did she just get over it since it was so long ago and thought that he was trying to do the right thing by not telling her? Did Kirsten even find out about Ryan/Trey or did Sandy keep it from her- she mustve had some inkling since Ryan and Marissa were expelled. What about Julie trying to frame Ryan? What about Ryan and Theresa- did he ever go back over to say goodbye after the miscarriage? I also find it hard to believe Ryan wouldnt want to be there for her either (character continuity). Did Hailey ever find out Lindsay and if so, was she mad? There are so many questions they left open along the way they shouldnt have and I dont really have big questions like this with OTH. I just feel like they worry more about what scenarios/character personalities fit in better with the episode than what they actually have. If Im going to write a scene where a son is confessing to his dad about something he did illegally and I know that dad is going to rip him a new one, I cant write it from the perspective that the dad will let it go with no problem just so the audience doesnt have to see the son getting grounded. You know what I mean?

I know alot of the problem is that OTH's creator, Mark Schwahn, also writes like most if not all of the episodes where as Josh Schwartz wasnt as involved in s2 and even less involved in s3 so other writers may not have as big of a grasp on the characters and if theres a new writer for every episode continuity is going to be a big problem. Im just saying regardless of who wrote it, it couldve been better in these aspects when it comes to this show. I just feel, like I said, the biggest problem with this show compared to that one is continuity. I still love this show and Im not trying to complain I just wanted to see- does anyone else feel this way?

Edited on 04/14/2009 12:49pm
    Edited 2 total times.

RTTV989

[7]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 21
    Although I like both shows, I would say The OC by a mile. I enjoyed the characters and the humor a lot more on the OC.

alirk

[8]Apr 15, 2009
    • level: 22
    stellarchick86 wrote:

I know alot of the problem is that OTH's creator, Mark Schwahn, also writes like most if not all of the episodes where as Josh Schwartz wasnt as involved in s2 and even less involved in s3 so other writers may not have as big of a grasp on the characters and if theres a new writer for every episode continuity is going to be a big problem. Im just saying regardless of who wrote it, it couldve been better in these aspects when it comes to this show. I just feel, like I said, the biggest problem with this show compared to that one is continuity. I still love this show and Im not trying to complain I just wanted to see- does anyone else feel this way?

I agree!

checko101

[9]Apr 16, 2009
    • level: 11

I Love Them Both "Hands Down". I Own Both Shows On DVD. There Both Really Awesome!!!

"The OC" "One Tree Hill" Love 4ever!!!

TV-World

[10]Apr 17, 2009
    • level: 5
    I love these shows both so much! Its hard to tell which one is better, but I have to say OTH.

@stellarchick86
    "There are so many questions they left open along the way" - - -You're absolutely right with this!

stellarchick86

[11]Apr 17, 2009
    alirk wrote:
    I agree!

TV-World wrote:
    @stellarchick86
    "There are so many questions they left open along the way" - - -You're absolutely right with this!

Thanks guys

Alirk, do you like OTH better then?

dtsdance

[12]Apr 18, 2009
    • level: 1
    The OC wins hands down

Kadodian

[13]May 20, 2009
    • level: 23
    I love The O.C but One Tree Hill had better storylines.

havoc2

[14]Aug 10, 2009
    • level: 19

I agree with pretty much everything Stellar has said. I often hated what the oc did with their recurring characters. It's like they refuse to utilize them better. They come in for about 8-10 episode, and then one out of nowhere they'll be "oh i'm leaving" and that's that. Like Lindsey for example,Her moving to chicago was just completely. That had nothing to do with anything. It's obvious that only happend is because the actress was at recurring status.

joshjr

[15]Aug 20, 2009
    • level: 12
    I think both shows are and were fantastic. I dont own either one but I am sure I will pick them up at some point. I have seen all episodes to date for sure though. I guess if I had to pick I would probably say OTH but its close. If The O.C. maybe had continued then my decision might be different. I wasnt ready for it to end. That being said I am glad that OTH is still on. I do miss Whity though and wonder how it will all end for Dan. I thought this last season started weak but ended strong.

Arnoboy

[16]Aug 26, 2009
    • level: 8
    definitely The O.C.

chicooss

[17]Aug 28, 2009
    • level: 9

One Tree Hill definitely. OC is good too, but oth has a better story and better characters.

maters33

[19]Mar 26, 2010
    • level: 7
    I prefer O.C

martooo_m

[20]Mar 29, 2010
    • level: 9

The O.C.

I adore both shows but The O.C. shaped my adolescent years. I like The OC characters more than the OTH characters because they were more complete and had unique personalities especially Seth and Summer, Marissa was good too as a depressed teenager. The dialogue in The OC was funnierand light but the dialogue in OTH was fake. Maybe OTH had better storylines than The OC. But comparing the seasons after high school The OC wins because season 4 was even better than season 3 but OTH's seasons 5 6 7 can't even measure to the show's first four seasons.