The O.C. Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

The OC or One Tree Hill

LittleSweetie

[21]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 4

I could never choose from OTH and The O.C They are such great Tv-series in different levels. And I think that they are the 21st century┬┤s answer to Beverly Hills 90210.

The. O.C ended way to fast, screw FOX and Screw all the other Tv-Networks who didnt pick up The. O.C. They only think abot whats good for America. What about the rest of the world? Europe was devistated when The O.C ended. It was also bigger in Europe then America.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cube2k8

[22]May 11, 2010
    • level: 14

i would have to say the oc the oc drew in more ratings and kept brining in the ratings until marisa left the show one tree hill did not even come close to the ratings the oc got even after the oc was off the air it still did nto matter a fact it declined in ratings . but they were both really good show i though each with there good interesting story lines.

greysanatomy12

[23]May 13, 2010
    • level: 16

One Tree Hill is much better than The O.C.

First of all,one tree hill's highschool years were better than the o.c's highschool years.Mostly because the storylines were much better and the characters more interesting.

After highschool,i believe that OTH did a better job than the O.C.In my opinion the fourth season of the O.C was pretty weak,since it had stupid storylines such as taylor getting married to that annoying french guy that wrote a book about her or something,that Che guy and his spirit animals,Summer wanting to save the world, the earthquake which to me looked like they were running out of ideas and of course Taylor/Ryan which looked so forced and it seemed that they were trying to replace her with Marissa.However,i did enjoy the christmas episode and the series finale.

On the other hand,OTH's season five was better.it had great storylines,like the Peyton/Lucas/Lindsey triangle,the amazing 100th episode,the nanny Carrie storyline,Brooke and her mother,Dan dying and wanting to make amends and of course the wonderful cliffhanger season finale.

Also,another thing that makes OTH more special are the voiceovers which are always insprirational and truly amazing.

All in all,i love the O.C and it hasn't disappointed me but OTH will always have something more,in my opinion.

Genzie

[24]May 14, 2010
    • level: 12
    Both shows are nice, but OTH I'd prefer

ginaodegaard

[25]May 21, 2010
    • level: 6

I def. prefer The OC... When it aired, every episode had such an effect on me... I still miss the show a lot, and even though I haven't watched OTH enough to really say anything about it, I just never got that feeling when I've watched an episode or two...

anthpez1

[26]Jun 8, 2010
    • level: 1

the oc

othlover04

[27]Jul 11, 2010
    • level: 2

OTH definitly. I think that it has better characters and storylines throughout the 7 seasons. If only comparing the shows from the first 4 seasons i would still choose OTH. OTH used voiceovers and quotes which matched the characters feelings and emotions and added another interesting element to the show. As well as this OTH had better storylines notably Dan's Dealership fire which kept the viewer interested and ultimatly was quite a shock when revealed. Whereas the O.C's storylines never really interested me or compelled me to watch like those from OTH

sunandjin92

[28]Jul 13, 2010
    • level: 3
    The O.C. all the way!

JaiCSC

[29]Sep 8, 2010
    • level: 17

For some similar but mostly entirely different reasons, I enjoyed both. I found them both incredibly entertaining...

But I pick OTH. It's a no brainer for me.

The main reason is that during the first four years there was never a time where I didn't care what was happening on One Tree Hill. There were a few things I didn't like on occasion but still wanted to know more.

That didn't happen with The OC. There was far too much I didn't care for throughout all four seasons. Characters were sometimes wholly uninteresting and plots felt contrived.

Not to say that there weren't times when OTH did push the storylines a bit those first four years. But they were handled rather well. The hostage episode in particular is brilliantly done. And some of the other stuff as well was rather good. They all seemed to behave quite naturally in those situations.

There were few times where I though the OC felt natural. The time they all did was penultimate episode with the earthquake and that is one of my favourite episodes because I believed that was how the would have acted in their respective situations andpredicaments.

I will say this though. OTH did lose it once it's rival went. It has become far too absurd. Once series 5 began we've had the introduction of THREE psychotic characters, you know what I'm gonna stop there that kind of explains it all for me. It took all of it's good stuff from those early years and re hashed them and to make them fascinatingly uninteresting and unbearable.

stellarchick86

[30]Sep 9, 2010
    • level: 32
    ^^Lol. Yeah, I kinda feel like The OC started off with a bang and it took a quicker time to go downhill (especially since Josh Schwartz began becoming more involved in Chuck and Gossip Girl and left his writers to do most/all of his work which was a problem for the show where as Mark Schwahn was always involved in OTH) than OTH did because its slower. So where OTH began in s5 was where The OC began in s3 or something like that. Just out of curiousty, who was the 3 psychotic murderers? There was Katie and Carrie, but thats all I can think of. Psycho Derek was s4, maybe you were referring to that? PD was pretty interesting but Katie and Carrie were just way to similar to PD.

greysanatomy12

[31]Sep 10, 2010

In my opinion,One Tree Hill covered a lot more teenage issues like peer pressure,insecurities,uncertainty for the future,teenage pregnancy,losing parents,the struggle to find yourself and a lot more.In the adult years we saw our characters facing adult problems like being happy,settling down,trying to get a job and being a good parent.

On the other hand,The O.C. focused more on the teenage lives of rich, spoiled kids and how fake and superficial their lives are.The O.C. wasn't about your average teen but about privileged teens.

stellarchick86

[32]Sep 11, 2010
    greysanatomy12 wrote:

On the other hand,The O.C. focused more on the teenage lives of.. spoiled kids and how fake and superficial their lives are.

I never saw it like that at all. Holly and those types of characters may fit the bill, but I never saw say Marissas problems or something "superficial" just because she was rich (until s3 that is lol). Her parents divorcing, her dad taking off, her friend dying (Johnny), etc COULD happen to anyone. OTHs drama consisted mainly of what crappy things Dan would do to everyone and love triangles.

greysanatomy12

[33]Sep 11, 2010

I don't believe that OTH's drama consisted of only love triangles.Peyton,who kind of resembles Marissa,had some great family drama of her own,like her father lost in sea or meeting her birth mother and then losing her because of cancer and getting to meet her brother etc.Brooke also had some issues with her mother which i absolutely loved, like when she fired her or when they finally made up in the season 6 finale.

Also,i do believe that when the O.C. first started the characters were brats that only cared about parties and having fun.I just think that the characters of OTH are more deep and real than the characters of the O.C..

Overall,i love the messages OTH gives out to teenagers.The O.C. is more for entertainment rather than inspiring teens.

stellarchick86

[34]Sep 12, 2010
    greysanatomy12 wrote:
    I don't believe that OTH's drama consisted of only love triangles.Peyton,who kind of resembles Marissa,had some great family drama of her own,like her father lost in sea or meeting her birth mother and then losing her because of cancer and getting to meet her brother etc...

Yeah. Well I meant things that lasted over seasons, but youre right. I just think the shows have about the same amount of stuff for season-only storylines, like say Marissa dealing with the Trey aftermath or stuff that lasts over seasons like the story of Ryan Atwood and how he comes from nothing and rises to become an architect and a Berekely graduate.
    greysanatomy12 wrote:
    Also,i do believe that when the O.C. first started the characters were brats that only cared about parties and having fun.I just think that the characters of OTH are more deep and real than the characters of the O.C. Overall,i love the messages OTH gives out to teenagers.The O.C. is more for entertainment rather than inspiring teens

Well The OC is more flashy and entertaining on that sort of level than OTH is. Summer and Marissa and those people at the parties mayve cared about parties but Seth, Ryan, etc did not. In fact, neither had even drank before the Pilot, let alone got drunk. And Fox requested that they have a lot of parties and flashy things the first few eps to get viewers hooked but Josh Schwartz and Co. didnt want to keep doing that so they eventually stopped it. And OTH had some parties too towards the end of s1, like the Nicki/Peyton fight comes to mind. And even 'Life In A Glass House' was a party episode, it just wasnt as crazy as The OCs episodes are so it doesnt stick out as much. OTH has been compared to Dawson's Creek and The OC like BH90210. I think The OC is a lot more deep though because it wasnt just a fish-out-of-water storyline like BH90210 was because of the Ryan storyline, as I just mentioned, so thats why I think its not that superficial. Anyway, Ill stop now, but youre the 2nd person to say this in the last month and I was just like what I dont get it because no one else had besides you two.
    Edited on 09/12/2010 4:08am

greysanatomy12

[35]Sep 12, 2010

Anyways,what i meant to say that people can relate more to Peyton,a loner who listens to music that no one else does ,who has a crappy boyfriend but stays with him and that is adopted and feels different than the other girls her age.On the other hand,Marissa is a rich girl who lives in a place where everybody is wealthy and drinks way too much and she ends up shoplifting and getting so wasted that people have to carry her.

I just want to say that I love The O.C. and it's my second favorite teen drama.Beverly Hills is not my favorite mainly because of the bad acting,like Shannen Doherty and Tori Spelling and the racial issues that really annoyed me.Dawson's Creek was also a great teen show that kind of resembles OTH.

stellarchick86

[36]Sep 12, 2010
    greysanatomy12 wrote:

Anyways,what i meant to say that people can relate more to Peyton,a loner who listens to music that no one else does ,who has a crappy boyfriend but stays with him and that is adopted and feels different than the other girls her age.On the other hand,Marissa is a rich girl who lives in a place where everybody is wealthy and drinks way too much and she ends up shoplifting and getting so wasted that people have to carry her.

Yeah. Well, I think thats kind of part of the appeal of both shows. With OTH its more relatable and you think "oh wow, that person could be like me", especially when it comes to Haley or Peyton. With The OC, its supposed to be like youre looking at people's lives that are more entertaining and flashy than yours because of all the stuff that they go through. My friend used to live in Newport Beach and then moved here (to AZ) because it got too expensive out there. Her life was nothing like theirs and her house was maybe the size of Lindsay Gardners house, if even (Ive seen it in person). So they just kind of created this world even though it wouldnt exist to THAT extent in real life, or a VERY small population if it does. I think they kind of grounded the kids throughout the season though to where it could occur anywhere, especially with s4. And its funny because I can actually relate to Marissa more than Peyton LOL. I do listen to music a lot and can be a loner at times but Peyton also had a psycho stalker 'brother', was a cheerleader just because her mom was, etc. Marissa, on the other hand, was also in the same boat because she wasnt comfortable in her own life and didnt want to be social chair, have to get straight As, etc but did it because her mom pushed her and thats what she wanted for her so she didnt end up with her life. At the core, the 2 characters are VERY similar. The only difference was that Marissa ended up doing what she wanted rather than her moms wishes and it cost her her life where as Peyton also had bad things happening to her and shed cry over it. Marissa would act out and be more external where as Peyton would cry, sit by the bridge, draw, or whatever and be more internal. And then between Brooke and Summer, I kind of think Summer is more relatable because she had a tough exterior but at the core was really sweet and vulnerable. She would lie about her sex life or whatever because she had self esteem issues. Brooke it seemed went out of her way to be manipulative and get in between people, especially in the first season. Then they kind of grounded her a bit. I love Brooke more than Summer because of the later seasons but thats just how I feel about that. Haley and the 2 guys are probably the easiest to relate to, I think.
    Edited on 09/12/2010 4:54pm

whenIpray2U

[37]Sep 15, 2010
    • level: 7

I liked the OC better. It wasn't as cheesy and corny as OTH.

andreapanda

[38]Sep 23, 2010

soo true, in oth, i hate when they start talking poetically or watever, i just wanna close my ears. no one at mi school tlks like that.

one moment that always sticks out in my mind is when nathan starts talking to haley bout some "stillness" that he feels with her. i plugged mi ears the first time i heard it and when i watch mi dvds, i mute it

andreapanda

[39]Sep 23, 2010

LittleSweetie wrote:

The. O.C ended way to fast, screw FOX and Screw all the other Tv-Networks who didnt pick up The. O.C. They only think abot whats good for America. What about the rest of the world? Europe was devistated when The O.C ended. It was also bigger in Europe then America.

actually the CW wanted to pick it up but josh sed no because he said he wud rather end the show on a highnote than let it drag along (sounds like one tre hill ha ha)

therefore oc wins

greysanatomy12

[40]Sep 24, 2010

Actually,the move to the CW was discussed but in the end it didn't work out.It wasn't mentioned that Josh denied itimmediately.

An BTW,thevoice overs were a big part of the show and it's what made it special and more emotional.If you want to watch justhigh schooldrama you can watch the O.C. or Gossip Girl or 90210.OTH had high school drama but it also had a lot more depth.