The O.C. Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

The OC: Part Deux

sellie12

[1]Jun 22, 2009
    • level: 18

There is no re-boot, but would you be open to an OC remake in the future. Like, the original 90210 has 90210 and Melrose Place has the continuation. I wonder what it'd be like. Like, who would the show center around and if any of the old characters would reprise their roles.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stellarchick86

[2]Jun 24, 2009
    • level: 32
    Hmmm..Well I would personally like a Seth/Summer spinoff the most but thatd probably be unlikely. Kirsten/Sandy would be cute but it would probably just be centered around raising Sophie so I dont know, probably not one of my favorite choices. I think they were going to do a Kaitlin/Julie one after the show was over but decided not to for whatever reason..I wouldve watched it for Julie to see what scandal shes in week after week but it wouldve been more like s4 where she was sort of on the boring side (with Kaitlin).

dool_girl

[3]Jun 24, 2009
    • level: 27
    ^ I agree with a lot. Another cool thing would be seeing Ryan raise that boy at the end of the series finale. Show Ryan being the "Sandy Cohen" now and having a mini-him. I think that would be a neat show! THen there could be guest appearances by everyone!

sellie12

[4]Jun 24, 2009

dool_girl wrote:
    ^ I agree with a lot. Another cool thing would be seeing Ryan raise that boy at the end of the series finale. Show Ryan being the "Sandy Cohen" now and having a mini-him. I think that would be a neat show! THen there could be guest appearances by everyone!

Ooh. I really would've liked to have seen that.

Stellarchick, they didn't do it because FOX didn't think it would've lasted because of the slipping ratings of the actual show at the time. Plus, all FOX airs now is a bunch of science-fiction/drama series that appeal to an older demographic. The OC was like their only teen drama at the time. I could've seen the Kaitlin spin-off on The CW, though.

stellarchick86

[5]Jun 24, 2009
    sellie12 wrote:
    They didn't do it because FOX didn't think it would've lasted because of the slipping ratings of the actual show at the time. Plus, all FOX airs now is a bunch of science-fiction/drama series that appeal to an older demographic. The OC was like their only teen drama at the time. I could've seen the Kaitlin spin-off on The CW, though.

Mmm, yes, all very good points!

dool_girl wrote:
    Another cool thing would be seeing Ryan raise that boy at the end of the series finale. Show Ryan being the "Sandy Cohen" now and having a mini-him. I think that would be a neat show! THen there could be guest appearances by everyone!

Lol, yes, that would be awesome. I just wonder if Ryan really did raise that kid. He couldve, or it couldve just been something like "I ran away from home because my mom was being mean" and he wouldve taken him to his house and made sure the kid was okay/checked out the house, saw it was a misunderstanding, and then went ahead and left. We will never know what happened.

sellie12

[6]Jun 25, 2009

But the way they portrayed Ryan crossing paths with the kid was that it was him a few years ago. Plus, in the finale they jumped time by a few years. I could see an OC spin off in the future. But I highly doubt any of the main cast would return.

EDIT: As a fan, I would be worried about the creator of the spin-off marring the original show. You get what I mean?

Edited on 06/25/2009 3:26pm

stellarchick86

[7]Jun 25, 2009
    sellie12 wrote:
    But the way they portrayed Ryan crossing paths with the kid was that it was him a few years ago. Plus, in the finale they jumped time by a few years.

And thats true, and a good point, but it doesnt mean in reality it may work ya know. Look at the s4 finale of OTH- We all assumed LP would stay together regardless of her moving to LA. Maybe she didnt take the job afterall, maybe they had a LDR, maybe Lucas moved out there, maybe they broke up, we wouldve never known had it been for s5. Well since this is the last image of the show, we will never know. Yeah we can all sit and assume that Ryan took this kid in but its alot harder to take in a kid you dont know then the first couple episodes of this show depicts and its alot easier for 2 parents who already have a son the kids age and are extremely rich to take in a kid than a 25-30 year old (however old Ryan was supposed to be there) with no kids themselves ya know. Knowing how Ryan is, he wouldve given the kid some sort of help and wouldnt have ignored him, but I cant see him letting him stay with him for the rest of his life or whatever. Ryans a very hesistant, keeps to himself kinda guy. This is what I think anyway.

dool_girl

[8]Jun 25, 2009
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Lol, yes, that would be awesome. I just wonder if Ryan really did raise that kid. He couldve, or it couldve just been something like "I ran away from home because my mom was being mean" and he wouldve taken him to his house and made sure the kid was okay/checked out the house, saw it was a misunderstanding, and then went ahead and left. We will never know what happened.

I guess you are right we dont really have no way of knowing if he actually did raise the kid. I always just assumed he did. But I guess maybe he just helped the kid out Either way I would have liked to of seen that! This goes back to that question a lot of people have about who Ryan was on the phone with at the end lol. Some people have speculated all kinds of crazy stuff and I always just assumed it was like his boss or something Again I guess we will never know.

sellie12

[9]Jun 25, 2009
    Yeah, I see what you mean. I guess it was just a good closure scene.

stellarchick86

[10]Jun 25, 2009
    Yeah, sorry to bring the thread down lol, Im just saying thats how I feel about that situation. I guess it is just one of those things we will never know about the show like other questions people have brought to my attention- Does Sandy know about Kirstens abortion with Jimmys kid (there have been evidence supporting and denying it)? What did Marissas letter in s4 say? All kinds of stuff I cant think of at the moment lol.
    dool_girl wrote:
    This goes back to that question a lot of people have about who Ryan was on the phone with at the end lol. Some people have speculated all kinds of crazy stuff and I always just assumed it was like his boss or something

I always assumed it was his boss too? But then again, if he was walking out of work, then why wouldnt he just talk to him there or go back inside or something? Either way, thats just what I figured because he was talking about like meetings and whatever architects talk about wasnt he (I have absolutely no idea lol) but I could be wrong because I havent seen the finale in a long time.

angrodpallanen

[11]Jun 26, 2009
    • level: 22
    I would never watch it because Josh isn't up for a spin-off, he never was, but I guess if they made one, one about Ryan and the boy would be great. But on the other hand, why not remake the show from it's second season??

CWer1992

[12]Jun 26, 2009
    • level: 6
    If they were going to do a 90210 type spinoff it would have to center on Sophie and Frank Jr maybe even them having a relationship with Melinda and Peter and Kelly all as regulars with possible appearances by Ben or Rachel or Willa.

sellie12

[13]Jun 26, 2009

CWer1992 wrote:
    If they were going to do a 90210 type spinoff it would have to center on Sophie and Frank Jr maybe even them having a relationship with Melinda and Peter and Kelly all as regulars with possible appearances by Ben or Rachel or Willa.

That's an idea no one's thought of. Probably the best one.

angrodpallanen wrote:
    I would never watch it because Josh isn't up for a spin-off, he never was, but I guess if they made one, one about Ryan and the boy would be great. But on the other hand, why not remake the show from it's second season??

Why would they do that when we already had S3 and 4? I mean, I know it was crap but there'd be no point when they already filmed S2, 3 and 4.

stellarchick86

[14]Jun 26, 2009
    Id be okay with a remake for s3 onward if it happens after 'The End of Innocense'. I kinda liked that episode and I really liked 'The Shape Of Things To Come'. After that, I really dont care either way. The thing with s3 is that I liked the ideas they came up with (Kirsten in rehab, Julie being broke, Marissa/Summer living together, I think Im the only one who didnt mind Charlotte that much, I liked the IDEA of Sandy being Caleb 2.0) but the execution was poor because they dragged on SLs for so long (sort of like s6 of OTH). The Johnny SL was endless, Seth and Summer were pretty boring though at least not fighting, Sandy and TNG again took forever it seemed. Even just 'The Swells' in itself is a long episode it seemed- how many more 'OMG! Marissa and Johnny are talking!' comments could they have in 1 episode?! So basically I dont hate on s3 for the SLs they came up (sans Johnny) but they either seemed too short so they were sort of pointless because they didnt have liftoff (Charlotte) or took forever so it lost its magic (Sandy and TNG/Johnny) so if they fixed the speed and maybe added in a few more SLs here and there that felt more "OC-like" I would be totally ok with s3. So since they do have to fix things Im okay with a re-make but I dont think s3 was a TOTAL POS (though it may be just because s3 was the first season I saw of the show). With s4, I would remake everything from 'The Cold Turkey' onward. The first few were okay (but again, were so dark and not OC-like, like s3) but since those may not have happened that way if it wasnt for Marissas death, it mayve changed if they fix that in s3 anyway (depending on if Mischa changed her mind, ofc). So if Marissa stayed, Id want to re-make those too entirely, but if she left again, Id be alright with them I guess (though Id take Che out of s4 entirely lol).
    Edited on 06/26/2009 3:52pm
    Edited 2 total times.

dool_girl

[15]Jun 26, 2009
    ^^^ You seriously nailed on all of my feelings towards season 3 too! It really had a lot of potential, and every time i re-watch i find new things that I do like about it, but definitly SO MANY of the storylines dragged on and on and then there were just some random storylines like the whole Matt/Marissa thing was just weird. As for a Sophie/Frank Jr. spinoff that wouldnt be bad! I kind of like it The only thing that comes to mind there is didnt the Cohens move to Berkley in the season finale and Julie stayed in Newport? I mean i know it could be fixdd just a note I had never even thot about that as a possible spinoff though.

CWer1992

[16]Jun 27, 2009
    dool_girl wrote:
    ^^^ You seriously nailed on all of my feelings towards season 3 too! It really had a lot of potential, and every time i re-watch i find new things that I do like about it, but definitly SO MANY of the storylines dragged on and on and then there were just some random storylines like the whole Matt/Marissa thing was just weird. As for a Sophie/Frank Jr. spinoff that wouldnt be bad! I kind of like it The only thing that comes to mind there is didnt the Cohens move to Berkley in the season finale and Julie stayed in Newport? I mean i know it could be fixdd just a note I had never even thot about that as a possible spinoff though.

Good point!Well maybe Sandy moves back after Kristen dies that would be a really cool dark storyline and plus this story would be like "90210" where it would be made like in 16 years.

JHarperFan

[17]Jul 23, 2009
    The CW shouldn't consider a spinoff/resurrection until Ben McKenzie's show Southland gets canceled, which will probably be in late 2009 or early 2010. You need Ben McKenzie and Adam Brody more than anybody, if they're on board the show would be the highest rated scripted show on The CW. Have it be about them maybe living in a small place together with the kid Ryan adopted. I'd be fine with it happening as long as somebody association with the original OC was involved, like a writer or something. I've mentioned John Stephens before, he'd be perfect if Josh didn't want to be hands on, John has always seemed like Josh's protege. I think there is somewhat of a possibility that The CW might try and develop something OC related maybe as a mid season 2011 show or Fall 2011. The CW's ratings are god awful, I'm sure at some point they'll try to dig up The OC as a last ditch effort to stay in existance, I just hope they do it the right way and don't just have a "new generation" with Melinda Clarke or Kelly Rowan as the only returning cast member.

Also Brody hasn't been doing much and even mentioned how there should be a spinoff 2 years ago. Jennifer's Body and now the new Kevin Smith film are the only roles he's gotten. Ben also seemed sad about the show ending and if Soutland is gone I'm sure he'd consider a spinoff/show resurrection. Rachel would be hard to get on board without a doubt, maybe she could guest star. Peter, Melinda, and Kelly would all do it for sure.

iheartlost

[18]Jul 30, 2009
    • level: 9
    eh. i think it might taint the original show. much like "joey" did to "friends".

Karlito2k5

[19]Aug 2, 2009
    • level: 1
    Ryan's character isn't good enough to carry a spin off...what's he gonna do? Punch people in front of his Kid and then his Kid broods? Bad Idea.

They should never do a RE-MAKE either, what's the point in doing the same show but with different characters...I would like to see another show that is similar to like The OC and One Tree Hill etc, but not the same characters. I never liked Gossip Girl or Chuck so I am sorta craving the NEW OC but it should be a NEW show...I think 10 Things I Hate About You is the best we can hope for right now...

- Karlito

stellarchick86

[20]Aug 2, 2009
    Karlito2k5 wrote:
    I would like to see another show that is similar to like The OC and One Tree Hill etc, but not the same characters. I never liked Gossip Girl or Chuck so I am sorta craving the NEW OC but it should be a NEW show...I think 10 Things I Hate About You is the best we can hope for right now...

What about 90210? Now granted The OC is my favorite teen drama show, but if you dont want The OC, OTH or GG its pretty much your last option. The first season came with mixed reviews but they are going into their 2nd season now and I get the impression its going to be much better because they are starting with a clean slate (they changed producers/writers halfway through) and a good cliffhanger.