The O.C. Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

Was Mischa Barton fired or did she quit?

meeshhead

[1]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 3

I'm interested to find out the consensus here.

Edited on 03/14/2008 7:26pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jra3209

[2]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 15
    It is unknown, many reports say she was horrible and partied to much so they had to let her go to pull in ratings, that worked. Then Josh has said he didn't have anything left to do with her after season 3.

You can change it.

meeshhead

[3]Mar 14, 2008

I never believed that they would fire one of the main draws to the show. My theory is that she wanted to leave to advance her career, and Josh let her out. Then he used the opportunity to spike the ratings for the season finale. But that's just my theory.

I looked in my profile for an avatar edit, but didn't see one. Please advise. Thanks.

FrozenHeart_

[4]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 8
    (Click "prefs" in the window at the top with your rating and such in it.)

dyle123

[5]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 26
    Prefs >> Profile >> About Me >> URL for Current Icon

Neither happened, she wasn't fired for bad behaviour and she didn't quit to further her career. Josh has stated that she was always completely professional and she has said that she would have continued on the show.

It was "a creative decision" according to Josh and he says that there was no where left to go with the character and this was the best way to revitalise the show. Rachel Bilson said in an interview that her and Mischa were shocked when they found out and cried together.

meeshhead

[6]Mar 14, 2008

FrozenHeart_ wrote:
    Thanks! And, dyle123: I find it hard to believe that Josh, who I think we'd all have to agree is a pretty creative guy and a good business man, would run out of story lines for Marissa. And his incentive would be to keep Mischa on the show because she helps to make the show $$$. So, I don't buy it.

Edit: I just thought of a better "creative decision" for josh to make: Write Marissa on to an island somewhere temporarily, untill a better storyline comes along. Don't bite the hand that feeds you by firing her!

Edited on 03/14/2008 7:14pm

dyle123

[7]Mar 15, 2008
    meeshhead wrote:

FrozenHeart_ wrote:
    Thanks! And, dyle123: I find it hard to believe that Josh, who I think we'd all have to agree is a pretty creative guy and a good business man, would run out of story lines for Marissa. And his incentive would be to keep Mischa on the show because she helps to make the show $$$. So, I don't buy it.

Edit: I just thought of a better "creative decision" for josh to make: Write Marissa on to an island somewhere temporarily, untill a better storyline comes along. Don't bite the hand that feeds you by firing her!

I agree with you, I think it would have been much more "creative" to reinvent her character rather than just killing her off. But I am 100% sure that is what happened, I definitely read that Josh said that and also that Mischa was devastated when she found out, apparently she just got a phone call but I'm not sure if that's true. Anyway I am sure that is what happened, I refuse to believe she had to be fired for being unprofessional or that she quit.

MooooonySeKkK

[8]Mar 15, 2008
    • level: 9

Aw, Mischa leaving.. such an undying topic.

I personally believe in what Dyle said. I'm pretty much over Marissa's death and this topic now, but I'll always consider it as the biggest mistake ever. period. but oh well, Josh is just a human after all.. it sucks though.

Edited on 03/15/2008 6:55am

meeshhead

[10]Mar 15, 2008
    MooooonySeKkK wrote:

Aw, Mischa leaving.. such an undying topic.

I personally believe in what Dyle said. I'm pretty much over Marissa's death and this topic now, but I'll always consider it as the biggest mistake ever. period. but oh well, Josh is just a human after all.. it sucks though.

Well, I guess that settles that.

tyini

[11]Mar 15, 2008
    • level: 27
    i think it was more Josh's doing. He probably saw that he took Marissa as far as he could. To bring her into the last season, the show wouldn't have ended as good as it did. Especially since she brought soo much drama. I was sad that she died, but as the season went on, I really liked what was happening. In my opinion Ryan looked soo much happier. He was making jokes and turning into a more calmer person. That's the way to end a show

meeshhead

[12]Mar 16, 2008

tyini wrote:
    i think it was more Josh's doing. He probably saw that he took Marissa as far as he could. To bring her into the last season, the show wouldn't have ended as good as it did. Especially since she brought soo much drama. I was sad that she died, but as the season went on, I really liked what was happening. In my opinion Ryan looked soo much happier. He was making jokes and turning into a more calmer person. That's the way to end a show

I think Ryan would have even been happier, and so would most of the fans, if the show ended with R&M together. I know I would. And you're right, it was sad that Marissa died, especially since the show died with her.

JHarperFan

[13]Mar 19, 2008
    • level: 6

tyini wrote:

Season 4 would have been much better with Marissa, the Core Four could have finally had a happy season, all they had to do was stop writing crappy soapy storylines for Marissa, they didn't need to reinvent her at all, they just needed to stop with the sh1t storylines, nothing even happened in Season 4 so what would've been the difference if she was there, they could've done all the same storylines just replacing Taylor with Marissa. Taylor was annoying and ruined the chemistry of the cast, the first 3 episodes were solid, but those three episodes were not worth the death of Marissa. Ryan wasn't meant to be a happy go lucky character, he was the brooding bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks. Marissa was not meant to die, Josh would probably even admit that, it was a dumb last ditch effort to save the show, when the irony is it just quickened the death of it. Just my two cents.

stellarchick86

[14]Mar 20, 2008
    • level: 32
    JHarperFan wrote:

tyini wrote:

Season 4 would have been much better with Marissa, the Core Four could have finally had a happy season, all they had to do was stop writing crappy soapy storylines for Marissa, they didn't need to reinvent her at all, they just needed to stop with the sh1t storylines, nothing even happened in Season 4 so what would've been the difference if she was there, they could've done all the same storylines just replacing Taylor with Marissa. Taylor was annoying and ruined the chemistry of the cast, the first 3 episodes were solid, but those three episodes were not worth the death of Marissa. Ryan wasn't meant to be a happy go lucky character, he was the brooding bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks. Marissa was not meant to die, Josh would probably even admit that, it was a dumb last ditch effort to save the show, when the irony is it just quickened the death of it. Just my two cents.

Wow, couldnt have said it better myself or agree more. I hate when people say "well she needed to die or have her character be reinvented because she was getting too annoying/dramatic so either she had to die or come back from the shipping thing and be a different person"..its like just make her have better storylines! Marissas had those kind of storylines since day 1, but because all the other storylines were better than they were in s3 it wasnt as noticable, but since the rest of the storylines werent that great (the hospital, Julie/Kirsten, Seth/Summer/college, etc) it made hers stand out too.

meeshhead

[15]Mar 20, 2008
    JHarperFan wrote:

tyini wrote:

ITA! That's all the more reason I think she quit. They could have easily dealt with the Marissa storyline. You don't just fire her. They're not that stupid! Statements like this one are showing up on recent articles. Here's a qoute from one of them:

"Though born in England, Barton, 22, moved to New York in 1992 and was granted U.S. citizenship in 2006. She is best known for her career-defining role-naïve, but sensitive rich girl Marissa Cooper-on Fox's "The O.C.," which ran from 2003 to 2007. She decided to leave the show after it third season ended in 2006 and was written off the popular drama via a fatal car crash."

SOURCE: http://www.hollywoodtoday.net/?p=4143

Edited on 03/23/2008 11:00pm
    Edited 2 total times.

dyle123

[17]Mar 24, 2008
    meeshhead wrote:
    JHarperFan wrote:

tyini wrote:

ITA! That's all the more reason I think she quit. They could have easily dealt with the Marissa storyline. You don't just fire her. They're not that stupid! Statements like this one are showing up on recent articles. Here's a qoute from one of them:

"Though born in England, Barton, 22, moved to New York in 1992 and was granted U.S. citizenship in 2006. She is best known for her career-defining role-naïve, but sensitive rich girl Marissa Cooper-on Fox's "The O.C.," which ran from 2003 to 2007. She decided to leave the show after it third season ended in 2006 and was written off the popular drama via a fatal car crash."

SOURCE: http://www.hollywoodtoday.net/?p=4143

That's just some article, that's not a quote from the people involved, anyone could have wrote that and people have made up so much untrue stuff. I definitely read an interview with Josh where he said she was acting 100% professional and it was his own "creative" decision to let her go. Also watched an interview with Rachel Bilson on YouTube where she says how they found out and how upset her and Mischa were and that Mischa would have stayed on the show. I'll believe them over hollywoodtoday.

EDIT: I found the interview I was talking about... At about 3 mins 20 secs: "She didn't want to leave, it was a creative decision"

Rachel Bilson Interview

Edited on 03/24/2008 4:41am

meeshhead

[18]Mar 24, 2008
    I've heard too many people associated with the show use the phrase "it was a creative decision", like they were told to say that. This is Hollywood we're talking about. You can't put much trust in what people say, nor can you believe articles that are written. We'll probably never know the truth, and that's why I believe only the things that make sense. And one of those things is that they didn't fire her. Would you have fired the actor who was mostly responsible for the shows success?
    Edited on 03/24/2008 8:02am
    Edited 2 total times.

mrsAri

[19]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 4
    I maybe shot down in flames for this i thought a bold move for the show killing her off, while the other characters evolved and developed...e.g summer became more likeable Marissa just got worse and everyone i know disliked the character more and more as it went on, i doubt anyone would believe Ryan and Marissa would be together forever if that was how the show ended. Just my thoughts...dont kill me lol

meeshhead

[20]Mar 25, 2008

mrsAri wrote:
    I maybe shot down in flames for this i thought a bold move for the show killing her off, while the other characters evolved and developed...e.g summer became more likeable Marissa just got worse and everyone i know disliked the character more and more as it went on, i doubt anyone would believe Ryan and Marissa would be together forever if that was how the show ended. Just my thoughts...dont kill me lol

You shouldn't be "shot down" for having an opinion. I would agree that it was a bold move, but only if there was nothing else involved in the motivation for that move. But I still think that Mischa's quitting gave them them the opportunity to use that death scene for high ratings and profit.

And as far as most people disliking her character, that wouldn't have been a good reason to kill her off. There have been many shows and soaps where the "hated" character actually carried the show and helped make it a success.