The O.C. Forums

FOX (ended 2007)

why did mischa leave?

winkipop69

[1]Jul 25, 2007
    • level: 20

Why did Mischa Barton leave The O.C? she said she didnt want to betype cast or only known as that character. So now instead of being 'O.C star' mischa barton she is 'former O.C star' mischa barton. And its not like she has done much since.

It was also said that there was no where else for her character to go, thats why she was killed off.But personally i think thats rubbish. Surely she would be more interesting than Taylor?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

txgirl75

[2]Jul 25, 2007
    • level: 23
    Actually their was a topic about this don't know where it is. THere was an article saying she wanted to stay and was real upset when they called and fired her. They got rid of her because there wasn't anything left for Ryan and Marissa.

that70sshow2000

[3]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 15

txgirl75 wrote:
    Actually their was a topic about this don't know where it is. THere was an article saying she wanted to stay and was real upset when they called and fired her. They got rid of her because there wasn't anything left for Ryan and Marissa.

Josh got rid of the character b/c he felt like it was the only way to "re-invent" and "revamp" the show and needed to "start over."

vanlord_52

[4]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 5

All I can say is f**k Josh Schwartz because he is an idiot for what he did. He drove his show rate into the ground when he killed off Mischa. No one wanted to watch anymore because she was everyone's favorite character. As it is obviously seen, probably the main reason that the final season was only ordered for 16 episodes AND the main reason that the show was cancelled was because the show was just not the same without Marissa. I can see killing off a character like Caleb Nichol.......he wasn't really a major focus of the show, and wasn't someone that the viewers were coming in for every week.

Personally, I think that seeing what would happen with Marissa after high school would be very appealing.........Would she quit drinking and focus on school, or would the drinking get worse and would she wind up in rehab or off with Volchok somewhere. I think that the character of Marissa should have stayed to the end of the show, but mabye killed off then. It does sound interesting to have the character die, but not as soon as it happened and not how it happened.

weuzza

[5]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 6
    vanlord_52 wrote:

All I can say is f**k Josh Schwartz because he is an idiot for what he did. He drove his show rate into the ground when he killed off Mischa. No one wanted to watch anymore because she was everyone's favorite character. As it is obviously seen, probably the main reason that the final season was only ordered for 16 episodes AND the main reason that the show was cancelled was because the show was just not the same without Marissa. I can see killing off a character like Caleb Nichol.......he wasn't really a major focus of the show, and wasn't someone that the viewers were coming in for every week.

Where have you been the last 2 years, I can honestly say Marissa wasn't everyone's favourite character. Atleast she wasn't mine and I am sure there are many more that didn't like her either. I got really tired of marissa and her drama in season 3, especially after the Johny arc. Josh did a great job getting rid of her because I loved Taylor in season 4, Autumn did a great job.

NaleyForeverOTH

[6]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 13
    For whoever mentioned that there was another thread its -Elle (Mischa on the cover)
    As for why she left, it was apparently a creative decision. She didnt want to leave.

degrassi_lover

[7]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 21

There are two different stories about Mischa leaving. There is one where Mischa decided to quit and for Mischa's character to levae, Josh decided to kill her off. And then there is one where Josh decided to kill Marissa and Mischa had to go.

I believe that Mischa didn't want to continue doing The OC, because it seems more blieveable. I mean a writer wouldn't randomly just say oh your character will die your off. The person will obviously giving a warning sign or something(unless they wanna give it a big surprise). But it seems more believable that Mischa quit. And besides.. S4 of The OC was better without Marissa

that70sshow2000

[8]Jul 26, 2007
    weuzza wrote:
    vanlord_52 wrote:

Where have you been the last 2 years, I can honestly say Marissa wasn't everyone's favourite character. Atleast she wasn't mine and I am sure there are many more that didn't like her either. I got really tired of marissa and her drama in season 3, especially after the Johny arc. Josh did a great job getting rid of her because I loved Taylor in season 4, Autumn did a great job.

It's so frustrating when I hear people say, "Oh I got sick of the Marissa drama in S3, so Josh did great by killing Marissa." Ahh, NO! He did BAD. Even he says he still doesn't know if he did "the right thing."

I agree, Marissa drama in S3 got old. The whole plot about why Ryan and Marissa broke up was a joke after everything they've been through. And I agree that the Marissa drama needed to STOP.

Yeah. So, just freakin' STOP WRITING MARISSA IN DRAMATIC SITUATIONS AND WHATNOT. You're a freakin' writer, Josh! Just DON'T write those darn dramatic storyline. DON'T kill off your main character, the same character that is apart one of the biggest couple fan bases (Ryan-Marissa)!

He should've just mellowed out Marissa in S4. Have her storyline be she decides to get her life back on track, etc. And focus on Summer-Seth, etc.

S4 just sucks now, with only 16 episodes, b/c it made the plot feel forced and go so fast and feel rushed. I SO don't enjoy it like S1-3; it just feels completely different to me.

flyinbrian314

[9]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 7
    vanlord_52 wrote:

Personally, I think that seeing what would happen with Marissa after high school would be very appealing.........Would she quit drinking and focus on school, or would the drinking get worse and would she wind up in rehab or off with Volchok somewhere. I think that the character of Marissa should have stayed to the end of the show, but mabye killed off then. It does sound interesting to have the character die, but not as soon as it happened and not how it happened.

Whose favorite character was Marissa? Not that many people like her more than the other characters. And I liked Caleb a hell of a lot more. He was one of my favorite characters!

MooooonySeKkK

[10]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 9

flyinbrian314 wrote:
    And I liked Caleb a hell of a lot more. He was one of my favorite characters!

Yeahp, killing off Caleb was a mistake, as well..

Edited on 07/27/2007 1:44am
    Edited 3 total times.

sethsummer4evx3

[11]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 13
    degrassi_lover wrote:

There are two different stories about Mischa leaving. There is one where Mischa decided to quit and for Mischa's character to levae, Josh decided to kill her off. And then there is one where Josh decided to kill Marissa and Mischa had to go.

I believe that Mischa didn't want to continue doing The OC, because it seems more blieveable. I mean a writer wouldn't randomly just say oh your character will die your off. The person will obviously giving a warning sign or something(unless they wanna give it a big surprise). But it seems more believable that Mischa quit. And besides.. S4 of The OC was better without Marissa

well i hated season four, but whatever your entitled to your own opinion, but it has been established that it was Josh's decision to kill her off. Both of them have said this in several interviews.

that70sshow2000

[12]Jul 27, 2007
    sethsummer4evx3 wrote:
    degrassi_lover wrote:

well i hated season four, but whatever your entitled to your own opinion, but it has been established that it was Josh's decision to kill her off. Both of them have said this in several interviews.

I agree with you, Seth-Summer.

Degrassi, you got it wrong. That's exactly what a writer who do/say regarding one of their characters. Such as, on OTH, Mark Schwawn said that it wasn't "anything personal [against Craig]" when he killed of Keith; he was just where he felt he needed to go within the story (to kill him off) in order to successfully advance the plot for the best. In that case, it actually did make the show better (ie, season 4/end of S3).

Same with The OC. Josh did the same with Caleb and Marissa. And I agree with moooooney; killing Caleb was also a mistake. Hence why seasons 1 and 2 (with Caleb and [less-dramatic] Marissa) are the better of the seasons. And why S3 and 4 (by majority, as I can see) are the weaker of the four seasons.

Mischa did not want to leave. This was in an interview and said my both Josh and Mischa herself. Mischa says she got the phonecall that her character was being killed off and told Rachel Bilson immediately and started crying.

Killing Marissa = Biggest. Mistake. Ever.

Josh is a great writer, don't get me wrong. But he's not good at planing for the future, thinking about future storylines / seasons, etc. Hence why he did *everything* in S1, and then just threw stuff in for drama in S2, 3, and 4.

Oh, well, I suppose. Just sucks since we really could have Marissa and a S5 if Josh were smart...

mo_man91

[13]Jul 27, 2007
    I don't understand why Josh decided to kill her, He could have just sent her off to her dad like the original plan was and made her come back at the end of the series to end up with Ryan (if it had gone on longer). He said there were no storylines and nothing left for Marissa's character. The death was just stupid though.

equinerider93

[14]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 4
    I think it was great that they finally killed Marissa. Though I cried at the very end of that episode, I was really relieved to see Marissa go and some of the drama stop. Marissa and Ryan were a complicated relationship for me. I loved it when Ryan had his other girlfriends like Lindsay and Taylor, but when he was single, I longed for him to be with Marissa. I think Marissa really needed to go, because I think she would have held Ryan back from the other fish in the sea. I was so happy to see Ryan and Taylor together. It was something new and refreshing, but I really did miss Marissa at times.

degrassi_lover

[15]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 21

I agree. I mean can you imagine what would of happend in S5. Here is what i think would of happend if Marissa was in S4.

1)Marissa returns to Newport, because she misses her old life.

2)Marissa tells Ryan she has no feelings for him... And gets jealous of him and Taylor.

3)She ends up hooking up with Kevin(oddly), and ends things with him when she confesses her feelings for Ryan.

4)Kevin and Ryan get into a huge fight, and Ryan confesses his love to Taylor. Kevin leaves Newport, Marissa and Ryan are together again.. Taylor is heartbroken and hangs out more with Summer.

5)Marissa and Ryan break up over an odd reason... And then Kaitlin tells her sister that she really needs to get over Ryan, because her on and off relationship disgusts her.

Magicalboy

[16]Aug 2, 2007
    • level: 28
    that70sshow2000 wrote:
    sethsummer4evx3 wrote:
    degrassi_lover wrote:

I agree with you, Seth-Summer.

Degrassi, you got it wrong. That's exactly what a writer who do/say regarding one of their characters. Such as, on OTH, Mark Schwawn said that it wasn't "anything personal [against Craig]" when he killed of Keith; he was just where he felt he needed to go within the story (to kill him off) in order to successfully advance the plot for the best. In that case, it actually did make the show better (ie, season 4/end of S3).

Same with The OC. Josh did the same with Caleb and Marissa. And I agree with moooooney; killing Caleb was also a mistake. Hence why seasons 1 and 2 (with Caleb and [less-dramatic] Marissa) are the better of the seasons. And why S3 and 4 (by majority, as I can see) are the weaker of the four seasons.

Mischa did not want to leave. This was in an interview and said my both Josh and Mischa herself. Mischa says she got the phonecall that her character was being killed off and told Rachel Bilson immediately and started crying.

Killing Marissa = Biggest. Mistake. Ever.

Josh is a great writer, don't get me wrong. But he's not good at planing for the future, thinking about future storylines / seasons, etc. Hence why he did *everything* in S1, and then just threw stuff in for drama in S2, 3, and 4.

Oh, well, I suppose. Just sucks since we really could have Marissa and a S5 if Josh were smart...

Well, I don't know if it was just me but Mischa's acting in "The Graduates" felt..I dunno..different, not in a bad way but kinda gloomy. And I don't think that the ratings suddenly declined because of Marissa's death, ever since Season 2 and on the ratings were going down little by little (S1 averaged 9.7 million viewers, S2 7.0, S3 5.6 and S4 4.3) and Marissa's death was just the last straw foralot fans.

darcy14

[17]Aug 3, 2007
    • level: 5
    So, I take it the reason for Marissa getting killed off WASNT about the rumours that Mischa was turning up to the set hungover?

QBelle25

[18]Aug 4, 2007
    • level: 1
    winkipop69 wrote:

Why did Mischa Barton leave The O.C? she said she didnt want to betype cast or only known as that character. So now instead of being 'O.C star' mischa barton she is 'former O.C star' mischa barton. And its not like she has done much since.

It was also said that there was no where else for her character to go, thats why she was killed off.But personally i think thats rubbish. Surely she would be more interesting than Taylor?

I agree and disagree. I'm new to the OC, I only started watching since they've been on Soapnet. And as much as I liked watching the dysfunction that was Marissa Cooper I feel like there was nowhere else for her to go as far as a relationship with Ryan. We watched them get together, be happy for a second, and then fight until they destructed from the inside out. I would have loved for Mischa to stay on the show but I, for one, was over the rotation of Ryan and Marissa. I think the writers had a good idea of introducing less important characters, but EVERY single young person, male or female, was a threat to Ryan and Marissa lol.

ultron29

[19]Sep 10, 2007
    • level: 7
    It really is a shame that Marissa was written out of the show and I do truly believe it was the reason for the shows ending. They wrote the Marissa leaving for the boat ending so that Marissa could in effect say goodbye to all the characters. Had they not planned on getting rid of her she could've been great - goin to college with Ryan and having a different style of storylines.

The negative storylines of Mischa (e.g. drinking) were just done to give the show some publicity and perhaps used as a backup when Mischa was fired. - Worst decision ever I must say!

Kadodian

[20]Nov 8, 2007
    • level: 23
    I liked season 4 but Micha should have been there.