The O.C.

The Case of the Franks

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Feb 01, 2007 on FOX

• The O.C.: Episode 89: "The Case of the Franks"- Finally, an Atwood and a Cooper who end up being happily together. (Spoiler Alert)

I have not reviewed any other "O.C." episodes besides "The Countdown". The reason why I have returned to review "The Case of the Franks" was because I found it to be one of the best episodes the writers of "O.C." had to offer. I never had this feeling of "wanting more" or being "obsessed" ever since the end of the first season. I found this season to be fine but not as enjoyable as the first season... until this very special episode.

Kirsten returns to her past thinking about her relationship with Jimmy Cooper and how they broke up. I liked Sandy and Kirsten's storyline at the end of the episode where we see a flashback of them meeting each other in Berkeley. Very revealing and heartwarming.

For the first time this season, I really enjoyed the Seth and Summer storyline about them questioning their relationship. The thing that I really didn't like was finding out that Taylor actually wrote the "I Wish I was a Mermaid" poem. Unbelievable but, still, great flashbacks. The two remained positive, knowing that they were meant to be even after a psychic said Summer would end up with "George". This story told me that they really do love each other, even after a "real" (lots are fake and phony; I do believe there are real psychics out there) psychic says they're not meant to be together.

After reading spoilers from an official website, I thought the best parts of the episode would be with the flashbacks. I must say that I loved Frank and Julie's storyline the best. Both look great together and I love their chemistry. Frank is the best guest character ever introduced since the first season. Ryan and Taylor, who decide not to date on Valentine's Day, instead, try helping Frank be with Julie. Kaitlin learns of this and supports Gordon. Frank says that he and Julie are "from the same world", something that brought me back to when Ryan told Marissa that they're "from different worlds". In the end, Julie chooses Frank over Gordon, at the same time, making me feel happy, knowing that, finally, an Atwood and a Cooper end up being happily together. Ryan and Taylor get into the limo and drive to the beach. Beautiful, brilliant, perfect.

I've enjoyed all of the Valentine's Day episodes of "The O.C." but after looking back, the final one is right up there as the best and one of my favorite episodes of the series. I know I've mentioned the first season in this review numerous times but it's clear that in this episode, "The O.C." has returns to its roots to create a great episode. I definitely know that the final three episodes would be more powerful. And now... Episode 90: "The Shakeup".
POP