The O.C.

The Chrismukk-huh?

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Dec 14, 2006 on FOX

• The title says it all.

In the world of television, the OC's Chrismukkah episode has always been a season classic. Chrismukkah is something that makes the OC special; & something that keeps old fans coming back. Ever since I started watching the OC, the Christmukkah episodes were always a big deal. Naturally, I thought this episode would live up to all the Christmukkah hype; I was terribly mistaken. What would happen in a world where Ryan never came to the OC? This was the question that the teaser used to allure us & it would worked. If only that excitment went beyond the previews. From the previews you'd really expect something more; maybe more magic or excitment; this episode had neither. Watching this episode was like sitting through the episode where Marissa died, only worse. As Ryan falls off the ladder onto the ground, we expect something big and exciting to happen. That something does happen; Ryan and Taylor both end up in the hospital in a sort of coma. Then we get a taste of their dream world; or in OC lingo, the alternate reality. Basically, the whole alternate reality situation was a farse. Having watched One Tree Hill's similiar themed episode I expected something more. Once again, this episode didn't deliver. Everything about the dream world seemed totally fake & even when we were in the "real OC" the writers did a really poor job of representing it. A big reason why I watched this episode was because it's Chrismukkah; & because I thought Marrisa would return. In both regards, The OC disappointed. Compared to other Chrismukkah episodes, this episode failed to show the true Chrismukkah spirit. Aside from a surprisingly touching ending that was better than the episode itself, <i>The Chrismukk-huh?</i> was a waste of time.
  • Zzzzzzzz

I love this show but this episode was one of the worst I've ever seen. A definite yawner. I can't believe I stayed awake while watching it. I don't know what's wrong with the tv shows lately but they are strong on the lemon episodes. It looks like a 10 year old kid wrote it. The guys that usually write it surely lost a bet or something because that was terrible. Simply not an interesting story, nothing is moving forward. Everybody was on a break while filming that show. I'll keep watching but I hope it gets back to what it used to be or else I think they're digging their own grave.
  • not as bad as it looked, but thats not saying much

6.3
    so Marissa's death made Sandy & Kirsten's marriage fall apart and they each ended up with Julie & Jimmy respectivly, right.....makes perfect sense. Oh yeah and Kaitlin managed to get into college at what, 15? 16? I know the show looks to be doing pretty well when you check the ratings on this site because the standard procedure seems to be "Watch 20 minutes of it and immediatly give it a 9-10 rating" but unfortunately for the ultimate fate of the show, that of Nielsen ratings and critics that don't work for FOX, TV Guide or US Weekly, who have given the show basically 3 good episodes out of 7, they only get 16 this season (barring some miraculous turn in the ratings) so look for the series to slowly gravitate towards tying everything up. Its obvious watching the show that Josh doesn't plan on writing a season 5.
  • Not my favourite episode this season, Seasong started off real well.

I can't say that i liked the idea of Ryan and Taylor stuck in a parallel universe and seth talking about it like its something that happens everyday.

i also don't like the idea of Ryan saying goodbye to marissa while he is unconsciuos, couldn't he atleast be awake when doing that?
  • Sad episode for all marissa fans

7.4
    I sort of liked this episode, however I wish they showed Marissa. It was nice to know that Ryan gave Marissa 3 more years, however Ryan and Marissa were such a good couple. I do like Taylor, but she is annoying at times. This season is quite good, I enjoy it, but once again Marissa absence is felt, at least for me.(Taylor is good, but cannot replace her)
  • The OC. Season 4 Episode 7

Yep, Christmukkah is always full of surprises.
    After times of tortured pain, the whole grieving era about Marissa has officially finished. It would have been nice if she had shown up at the airport, though; but I'm aware that if this had happened, Ryan would have never come back to the *real* world... maybe the OC writers' choice was the right one. Anyway, it was sad:
    - Ryan's moment at the pier.
    - Julie reading Marissa's letter to the Cohens. In my opinion, Julie's voice can be really touching.

And it turns out Newport Beach without Chino Kid totally sucks! Okay, I can even accept Jimmy and Kirsten married, but Sandy and Julie together? That was kind of shocking. Summer's dumb phase was funny and creepy at the same time.
    It's reassuring that there is something that does not change, even in a parallel universe:
    1. Julie and Veronica's b!tchiness. :D
    2. Sandy is doomed to bail Ryan out. LOL
    A mysterious point is why in the hell Kaitlin was flying back from Berkeley, since she is (or should be) 15.
  • Before this episode, I was totally fine with Taylor.

I want Marissa back! This ep. was such a tearjerker, especially when Ryan walks on the beach: That was Marissas spot. Taylor and Ryan are so mismatched and wrong for each other. Granted, I used to think Marissa was an idiot, but this show is nothing without her and it pains me to even think that this was the official "Goodbye Marissa" episode.

One thing I didn't get was if Marissa dies in TJ, than she would have had to seen Luke cheating, so why would Summer be friends with Holly, especially if she was partly the cause of her bestfrieds death? Another thing, the writers need to stop changing around Kaitlyns age - WAY too confusing!

I loved the Alt-Summer though - Hilarious!
  • Not a good episode.

I usually looove the Chrismukkuh episodes! Normally they are wonderful! However, I feel that Season four's Chrismukkah episode did not measure up too well. I did not understand the whole premise... alternate universe?? Taylor was kind of annoying in this episode and I have actually grown to like her in every other episode. I did enjoy her talking back to her mother in the alternate universe though. I also thought that it was not a very classy way of saying a "final farewell" to Marissa. She was one of my main reasons of watching The OC for the first 3 seasons and I thought without her the show would be nothing, but I was wrong... it's still great!! However, I feel this episode gave her no justice and a proper goodbye should be done!
  • \'Silly\' - but for me it worked. Very unusal but i have to say the point of it was just what oc fans wanted.

A very strange episode for the oc and althu i loved it i think semi oc fans wuld think its far-fetched. Ryan gettin over Marrisa is the whole point of the episode but this was his goodbye to her and it was his way of discovering the oc \'needed\' him more than he every imagined, interesting to see how ryan acts after this bcos he has always actd in a way that he gets in the way of everybody and now he cannot do that, a gd episode i reli enjoyed it
  • Adventurous, and slightly wacky. An episode tributed to Marissa!

Well this was definitely a really different episode from what we are used to seeing on tv. The episode focused on lots of different issues but the main one was that Ryan got over Marissas death and realised that he can now go out with Taylor.

The writers definitely took a risk for this episode and its hard to know if it payed off. The Dream Sequence idea gave them the ability to focus on lots of different storylines, Ryan and the loss of Marissa, Taylor and her Mum, Summer actually being funny again, Che and his thong dillemma. I laughed so much when Taylor started to talk aout the George Foreman Grill and how it compared to Ryan and also the really funny scene when Dream Seth and Dream Summer were talking about The Valley and Captain Oats.

The drama was really good, superb acting by everyone involved especially Ben Mckenzie and Chris Pratt (who was so so funny with Julie). Peter Gallagher was really good as the Mayor and how with the help of Ryan he turned back to the original Snady that we have comed to love. Kelly was really good at upping her characters tempo and playing more of an angry Kirsten. And of course Taylor, who once again mostly everything she said was funny (her reaction to boy Taylor in the dream sequence was priceless).

The only thing that kind of bugged me throughout the whole thing was the fact that Ryan and Taylor were in the same dream together when they have different minds. When you are in a coma you shouldn't really be sharing your dreams with other people. The dreams should really be your own since you are kind of stuck in your own mind. It kind of felt a bit B Grade Sci Fi here.

But apart from that, the episode was really really good and im really happy to see that Ryans over Marissa and can focus all his time on Taylor. Let the good times roll!
  • Watching this episode requires a large suspension of disbelief, but via good use of an age-old plot mechanic it makes a vital transition to a different synergy, and it's very interesting to see how the show gets there.

Once again it's a heady mix of romance/comedy/popcult/ lust, but this time it's (mostly) set in an 'alternate universe.' The reasons for this are very transparent, but there is genuine gusto with which this world is created, and even if it is jarring sci-fi, the plot is based in successful emotional reality.

It's also a testament to the actors that they can play parallel characters that manage to walk the line that finds distinction but not glaring disparity. Traits we've seen before in these characters are allowed to dominate, casting them in a different light rather than completely remoulding them, it's a lot of fun to watch.

They certainly can't do this every week, but I'm glad they did. Watch it.
  • Who doesn\'t like an alternate universe?

I, for one, have always been a sucker for an alternate universe episode. That 70\'s Show, Enterprise, you name it. It\'s that whole \"It\'s a Wonderful Life\" thing that I fall for every single time. This episode was also the yearly Chrismukkah episode. You can\'t say no to the spirit of Chrismukkah. And I have to say this year\'s show was much better then the syrupy one that aired last year. I was also very glad that the producers didn\'t punk out and try to put Marissa in the show some how. I think the writer\'s a pretty good job at changing the parallel world while still keeping to the O.C. series. All in all, a fun Christmas episode.
  • A satisfying end to the Marissa saga. Though disappointed she wasn\'t there.

This was a good, if unspectacular episode. Definately a memorable Chrismukkah episode, though there have been only 4. I will say it again and again, but Taylor is definately the star of the show as of now. I absolutely love watching her character grow, as she is no longer the one-dimensional, annoying character from season 3.

I enjoyed seeing the old seth, as he was always a character we could sympathize with, and was always good for a laugh.

I have to say though, Ryan\'s rather stone-cold attitude towards Taylor bothered me a litte. He also remained somewhat emotionless throughout the more dramatic scenes. If that was intentional, then kudos to him, but those scenes just felt kind of empty.

Alt-Summer was also just fricken annoying. I guess that could also be a compliment to the writers, since it was painful to see Summer take a step back after seeing her character develop so well over the years. And Kirsten does not make a convincing 'ice-queen'.

If I remember correctly, I saw Marissa in a trailer for this episode, yet she is nowhere to be found. I thought it would have been great to have her here to drive some emotion out of Ryan, but what was done with her story was done very well without her.

The OC is great again, and I cannot wait to see more.
  • As always, a great episode, expected any less?

An unexpected and exciting twist that was spun in the direction of this episode. An alternate universe episode? Sounds like something that Seth Cohen would handle, and you know what? It was creative, funny, and really moved the story forward. Seeing how everything is if Ryan never showed up really shows how far the show has come; it's already been three years! It's also really hilarious; Seth Cohen in particular goes back to his dorky ways, which was what made him super hilarious in the first season, and his screaming I hate my life constantly at his pillow was truly laugh out loud worthy. Most importantly though what the episode accomplished is, hopefully, moving on from Marissa's death once and for all, and it did such an awesome job of accomplishing that too.
  • Another Christmukkah with the Cohens!

In the first Christmukkah, we were all introduced to Seth's "favorite" holiday. In season 2, Summer concucted a plan to save Christmukkah for Lindsay. In season 3, well who can remember..

This year, a whole new approach as Ryan and Taylor find themselves in a parallel universe where nothing is right. Sandy, mayor of Newport, is married to Julie. Kirsten, CEO of the Newport Group, is married to Jimmy .. and Seth is his old geeky self, longing for Summer's love.

In order to come out of their comas, they must each complete the unthinkable and reunite the Cohens!

Great episode, very original, only wish it was 2 hour long :)
  • Sad...I miss Marissa :( Apart from that, this episode was HILARIOUS. Sandy and JULIE?! Not to mention "ghetto Summer"!

This episode had everyone all hyped up about if Marissa would make an appearance. I have to admit, I was shocked and excited (in a good way) when I saw the trailer. Imagine my disappointment when it was just KAITLIN. I don't think this episode gave enough closure for Ryan, he DID read Marissa's letter, but didn't really do much else. Although the lifeguard's station part really choked me up.

I love the other parts of this episode (except the Ryan/Taylor romance---no comment.), it was so fun to see them all acting completely different..well except Julie, she was always a slut, haha.

Anyway, this episode was a bit disappointing and a tad depressing, but all in all it was a great episode and I'm glad I recorded it so I can watch it all over again!
  • An awesome episode a good spin on things and really great to watch.

I liked the way the show kinda turned it's back on it's usual in the "real world " kinda thing and had a go at another reality it was awesome to see..

There were some great quotes in this episode from taylor and i really enjoyed watching the two together you can reli see them getting closer with her sitting on his bed at the end aww..

I also admired the way the writers saw it as an oppurtunity to bring back old faces and give the regulars alternate roles to play. we had sandy and julie that was weird , jimmy and kirsten good to see him back and summer acting totally dumb that was classic really made me lauf.!

Ryan got the chance to get "closure" on Marrisa and tell the people he cares about how they have all influenced his life.The infamous christmakuh (excuse the spelling if wrong)also got a mention it's almost a tradition now to have an episode..

I really liked this episode it was a good experimental one focusing on something out of this world ot rather in an alternate world but hey it was awesome...!
  • A different kind of episode for the OC. Ryan and Taylor are in an alternate world and they have to fix things so that they can wake up.

This was a refreshing change, instead of having the typical Christmakkuh episode, everyone getting together, something happening the end, it was completely different. Ryan and Taylor have a minor disagreement and fall of the ladder and end up in the hospital. Neither one of them will wake up and they are both dreaming about the same thing. This episode was pretty entertaining, as every character was linked to someone that they were totally wrong for. I do not like that Che character, I know he was in this episode because he was supposed to marry Summer but he\'s just an annoying character all around. I think it is time that they get rid of him. Ryan and Taylor are funny to watch because Taylor makes everything so awkward. It is nice to see some humor in the show again, I thought when Seth was freaking out and saying that nobody liked him was pretty funny. It was also nice to see Jimmy again in this episode.
  • Ryan & Taylor spend the day in a parallel universe...

After watching the One Tree Hill \\\"flashback Christmas episode\\\" I was a little concerned by the previews showing this episode as a parallel reality/dream sequence. It was much better than expected. I hate those episodes that are all \\\'flashback\\\' and recap, but despite being a dream sequence it still advanced the plot. I like Ryan & Taylor being in the alternate reality together and I love that they made Taylor a boy. I love that Seth was all about Ryan\\\'s \\\"I\\\'m from a parallel reality\\\" speech and didn\\\'t question it. I really enjoyed Che\\\'s alt. reality character and give a lot of credit to the writers for incorporating so many story lines and characters into the what-if sequence. It was also a really great way to have them say goodbye to Marissa finally and deal with that. I\\\'m really glad they didn\\\'t have Marissa alive in the \\\'what if Ryan didn\\\'t come to Newport\\\' sequences - it\\\'s much better for have him giving Marissa a few more years rather than thinking that everyone would have been better off without him.
    Well done.
  • What an alternate reality huh?

I can be the first one to tell you that this episode was really good. I've been a little dissapointed with the show to date, I don't know. Not so much I miss Marissa, but I think with the whole Summer hippieness. But last night's episode was so funny and good. I think I'm getting used to Taylor and Ryan, Seth and Summer so belong together and the whole alternate univers was very twisty, but extremely funny. Hopefully they'll be more episodes like this in the future, and if so I can't wait. I'm so excited about newt week. :)
  • The OC

this episode was pretty good :)
    it was really confusing at fist and it took a while to understand what was going on, i knew from the beginning that taylor and ryan were somewhere weird but i couldn't figure it out. once they explained what was going on the alternate universe was actually pretty cool to watch, it was crazy though how summer was such a bimbo airhead, it was almost painful to watch. i did like to watch taylor and ryan try to fix everything though, i especially liked with taylor called her mom a b_tch and then was like "oh my god"
    it was a good episode though, but it didin't really have a conclusion but i did like it.
  • Taylor and Ryan working out their issues in an alternate universe.

These kind of AU episodes are almost always really lame. But here's an exception to the rule. This was one of the finest OC episodes. It was witty and touching . It really made you wonder 'what if'... Ryan and Taylor's characters got to shine as they were making things right in the parallel universe. I have to question one thing though: why would Taylor forgive her mother just like that? How did calling her a b* in the parallel universe help? And Seth's character seemed a little off this time. But thanks to all the funny moments plus finally moving forward from Marissa's death this episode really earned its place in my favorites. This episode was probably fun for the writers too because it really let them play around with ideas.
  • LOVED IT BEST OF SEASON 4

Thought I'd Hate It!!! I Did Label It To One Of My Friends As "Not A Real Proper Good OC Episode And All Really Weird Considering The Hype It Had" Before It Started And Then I Loved It More Than The Ones Before Definately The Best OF Season 4 Too Good And I Love Taylor And Ryan Completly Shocked But They Are So Cute And In The "Alt World" Julie And Sandy?!?! What Was That I loved That THey Brought Jimmy Back Though And I Wish Marrisa Could Have Come Back Although It Was Nice To Know That Ryan Gave Her More Time But She Still Had To Die!!!
  • Cool twist on this episode!

Wow, what a great new take of the show. The first time I saw the episode i had to blink twice, nothing near the kind of episode I was counting on. But wow what a tripping twist. When I saw Ryan and Taylor falling down from that ladder, I was I bit agitated, of course they wouldn't dare killing of both Ryan and Taylor, after what happened to Marissa and Johnny earlier?? And then they got up a little too fast after the falling, so I was even more confused then. After that things started to get even more confusing. An alternate universe? Hmmm it started to look more and more like a dream. But since when do we see peoples dreams on The O.C.? I was a little surprised by the dreams Ryan had of Taylor earlier, washing his windows and stuff. But this was getting a little out of hand. But I kept on watching, and realized that it was really amusing actually. Although sometimes it was quite confusing which scene took place in the real universe, and the alternate one. Although of course the lives of everyone turned out completely different in the alternate universe, I had to watch the episode another time to fully understand what was going on.
    But anyway, I guess it was a really risky thing to spruce up the episode like that (man, did I just say sprucing? ^^), and it turned out to be really cool. The show just keeps on getting better and better!!
  • Great trip

A "what-if?" episode... Unexpected, but really good. It was a great way to show Ryan how the things would turn out if he never came to Newport... It was great to see Jimmy again, although I think that they give him little time. Summer was a little more... Ok, I don't know what's the word to put in here, but she was a little more "dumby" that in the first season. That thing that she did with Holly in the club (that dance or what's that..) was creepy. Really. Jundy??? Wow, way too much. Even in an alternate reality Kandy love each other, so there's no question: they should stay together forever. The confsing part in the episode was... How Taylor was a boy, if Ryan never came to Newport?? Plot hole...
    Finally, it seems that Ryan is going to get over Coop. In my opinion, she is better with Taylor...
    Taylor, that was gorgeous in the last scene in the hospital. I can't stop watching that scene over and over again... But her gift.. A grill for a 19 old boy?? Weird..
    Season 1 material.
  • alt-world

i am so glad that the oc has moved on so well after marissa was killed off. now that marissa and all her dramas have gone its better than ever. i loved this ep, it was hilareous and moving. i loved ryand and taylors dynamic together in alt world and think she was the perfect charecter for the show after some of the serious issues delt with in season 3. im so glad they havent kept ryan all moody and grieving. while it was wonderful to watch i some times think they drag things like that on for too long, so his developing relationship with taylor is good to see, even though there a few bumps in the road during this ep. writers keep up the good work.
  • What an interesting take on an alternate universe on The O.C. I loved it:)

As soon as the episode began with Ryan and Taylor bickering on a ladder while hanging lights...i knew this episode was going to be good. I liked the way the whole thing was structured! So heres to Josh for some great writing. I thought the swapping of the couples was interesting...made me see how differently The O.C would run with Julie and Sandy together. All i can say is \'interesting\'. In an alternate universe without ryan, of course Summer isn\'t going to be with Seth. I guess this episode was here to remind people that if Ryan had never showed up...the bubble of Newport Beach would be somewhat different...okay, maybe ALOT different. Taylor and Ryan\'s dynamics were as always new and funny. It was a really well structured scene when Ryan read the note from Marissa at the lifeguard stand...and then said goodbye. The cover of \"Into Dust\" was unusual but seemed to fit. It was the right thing to signal his return to the \"Normal\" Universe. A great episode of progression and comedy..and one to remember.
  • Adventurous and excellent, this episode proved how Ryan puts the "O" in the "O.C."

I remember when I first started this show in the wee hours of Season 1, I wondered how life would have differed for all the character if Ryan had never been adopted by the Cohens. A few seasons later, this episode brough the answer. Years later, we learn what life in beautiful Newport Beach would have been like if Ryan Atwood had never set foot in the rich town. Ryan and Taylor enter this alternate reality together and realize just how crazy things are: Kirsten is divorced from Sandy and married Jimmy; Marissa ODed on painkillers in TJ; Kaitlin goes to Berkely; Seth is a true outcast; Summer is engaged to Che, who is having an affiar with both Holly and Julie; Julie and Sandy are married; and Taylor is a boy!

It is almost as if all the characters are stuck in the first season. "Into Dust" still plays slowly in the background and the "California" theme song is still in the credits, only to a different tune. The only reason why I gave this episode a 9.6/10 is because the ending is a little poor with Ryan and Taylor just saying "Yeah, I don't remember what my dream was about. Oh well" and then celebrating Chrismukkah in the hospital. Definitely the best Chrismukka episode ever!
  • Best Chrismukkah ever...

So i was incredibly concerned about The O.C. last season, but the last few episodes, and tonight\'s especially, is why I love this show. It has both drama and humour, and the story line FINALLY doesn\'t revolve around all of Marissa\'s problems. While it isn\'t the most original idea ever, they put an O.C spin on it, that made it a classic O.C. episode!
  • It was awesome!

Although I had already seen another one of these sorts of episodes (The Suite smell of excess) I still think it ruled. It was really funny and I laughed so much. The whole plot was so random it was funny. Summer acting all chavvy was hilarious and I thought it was so good. Che as Chester was also weird. It was interesting to see how much of an impact Ryan had to the show. I really liked it and I could watch it again loads. It is a must see episode and was awesomely funny. Watch it or be stupid!
< 1 2 3