The O.C.

The Chrismukk-huh?

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Dec 14, 2006 on FOX

• And a very special moment.

I think this episode was the most imaginative of the series and, excepting the one where Marissa died, it touched me the most. But it did not in the way that last season finale did, with the almost physical sickness and revulsion associated with the loss of a dear one, but with a more deeper, profound feeling and with an interesting question...
    If that person that you are most found of in this world dies and you have the chance to somehow find that person again in another world and to remain with her, what would you do? Would you leave this world or would you leave that person forever?
    I don’t think I can answer that question, but what can I say is that such a moment, regardless of the decision, would be something truly powerful, painful, tragic and in all the meanings of the expression, out of this world. The intensity of that moment in the airport, when Ryan walks to Marissa only to discover Kaitlin instead and the fact that Marissa died three years ago and even in alt-world he has lost her forever left me absolutely speechless. The part was superbly played by Ben and the moment makes you to feel incredible sorry, watching his pain that makes him not even remember his name. I don’t recall seeing ever a more intense anticipation and then disillusionment and there are few situations in actual life that can produce those feelings.

What can I say, this episode was funny, interesting, different and deserves alone to be appreciated. But that scene that begins with Kirsten finding the letter and realizing why Ryan is not coming back and then with Ryan finding Kaitlin will remain with me forever. And that cover from paranoid android...Congratulations to the writers for what I believe it’s the most well thought episode of the series and for the way they decided to break up with the past and let Ryan move on with his life. And, in the same time, to let us see that Marissa was predestined to end up tragically and that Ryan, and us, should be grateful to have had her alive for 3 more years.