The O.C.

The Cliffhanger

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Feb 02, 2006 on FOX

• Summer finds out what Cohen's been up to lately, Caitlyn and Johnny get close, and Sandy and that guy get into a fght about the hospital.

4.4
    I'm sorry, but this show is going nowhere. First season, Marissa is with Luke and wants Ryan. Then she gets Ryan and wants that psychologist Oliver, then she wants Ryan's brother, now she wants Johnny, can they try to stop making her a whore? I mean c'mon, enough is enough, and they need to quit pretending to kill Johnny, this isn't South Park, knock him off already, he's a crappy character.
  • What that's crap???

3.4
    I was a mega fan of the OC, but now... I just can say that I watch the episode all the 10 minutes. It's in my background and I make differents things during the episode...

This week the OC was very weak and I think we are living the last minutes for the serie... no season 4 I guess...

Well well well... Johnny is finally dead, is that really incredible to think? each episode in this serie leave or die when viewers don't like them. The poor Johnny has left for a moment I guess and it's a really good news. "I love you Marissa, please love me"... I first thought that we had somethin' with Kaitlin, but actually, nothing happened between us and that's really annoying.

Kirsten and Sandy are definitely the boring couple, the one with nothing... Kirsten is less important than a flower in this season and Sandy has just stories to fill the episode...

Marissa and Ryan are just behind, Marissa is clearly a booooringgggggggg girl and Ryan is a kind of guy in 7th Heaven. "Come on guys! I give you the right things to do! and yeah I come from Chino, waouuuuu".

Seth is the bigest geek ever, and even not funny like in the first season, he's now just the big geek that everybody hates.
    Summer is not better, just the bright girl. (well good news.. she was the dumbest girl ever in the first season).

To put it in a nutshell: awful, please change the channel!!!
  • The OC. Episode 14

After months of doubts and pain... Finally Marissa did clear her mind and choose between Ryan and Johnny. And of course when everything seems fixed, drama runs into: it turns out Johnny feels like practising a little bit of hiking. Following the principle of "DIB" - Drunk Is Better.

Seth doing pot is definitely out of character but, when he was up to tell Summer how amazing the Cohens TV screen was, I couldn't help laughing. And what about his expressions after "Save the last dance"? LOL

It's not fair. Right now Kirsten's only task consists in:
    - providing Sandy's lunch.
    - helping Julie's love issues.
    However, Julie spying on Neil was so hilarious. They're totally a perfect couple. And if they stick together, Marissa and Summer are going to be like step-sisters. That's nice.

Little Coop is the biggest troublemaker ever. I hope her winter holidays won't last that long.
    By the way, Taylor is disappeared. Yay.
  • the KING of all cliffhangers!

Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god.

VILKET UNDERBART SLUT!!

Jag tror nog att det var det bästa slutet på ett O.C-episode någonsin. Jösses amalia.

Nästa avsnitt är ett måste!
    Punkt slut.

The cliffhanger - the king of all cliffhangers.

50 words words words words.

Seth är en pundare. En riktig pundare.
    Bara två ord till.
  • finally johnny gets the hell out of the oc, excuse me for my language

johnny pisses me off so much, he was ok in the last waltz but after he just got annoying, i love you marissa gosh just finally hes gone, really good epiose, seth gets high again and it was funny too, summer finds out which is cool and johnny jumps actually slips, either way he dies which is good
  • Johnny tells Marissa he loves her and she gives him a letter that says she wants to be with Ryan. In the end Johnny climbs a cliff and Ryan tried to save him but he fell over his love for Marrisa.

Johnny is obviously dead for sure because when Johnny fell, Marissa and Kaitlin just stood there and didnt try to help him.If he was still alive they would have ran to him.I can\'t believe those writers killed Johnny he was such and good character and really added to the plot.I really dont know why he had to die.This episode was really good but sad.
  • A true tragedy.

6.2
    well this episode was good.
    Not the best but not bad.
    Ok the acting of this episode was great.
    The music effects were great.
    But the writing was not.
    I mean it's like the writers meant for everyone to feel really bad.
    The character Jhonny has been a character that I am sure everyoe felt sorry for.
    Jhonny's love to Marrissa although she dosen't love him back was sad and the fact he had an accident and almost couldn't walk was sadder but to end him in death and in not a cleverly-plotted one, I mean what are the odds of him getting drunk, wanting to climb the cliff and falls of.
    To top it all of Katilin blamed herself but her balming herself wasn't the most dramatic scene.

So it wasn't written that well but the funeral was very touching.

The surf board funeral was a very great idea.

This episode gets C

I am sorry.
  • Alcohol, the easiest way to create conflict and drama in Orange County.

Once again alcohol is portrayed as the scapegoat to manifesting a problem in The O.C. Johnny butthurt that Marissa rejected him, as if no one saw that coming, decides to act a fool, drink to his heartache's content, and then fall off a cliff. Unlike the whole Trey shooting, this one was a trainwreck; you saw it coming waaaaay before it actually happened which really ruined the excitement. And really this whole Johnny situation has worn itself out thin. Thankfully it's at least better than the previous terrible episode; it's actually kind of funny, but Seth's storyline sucks and Sandy's is meh, so so.
  • Johnny is gone!

It's about time they got rid of that wet-rag Johnny! He was like the worst thing this series ever brought to the table! This was the final time we would have to hear him cry over Marissa and Ryan's relationship, the last time he would do something extremely stupid over Marissa and the last time we saw him! It was an excellent way to send out such a home-wrecker-esque charecter! Although the aftermath of his death was just hell. Because we have to deal with a delirious Marissa, a happy-moody Ryan, a pity-party Kaitlin and Sadie. So although it was good saying adios to him it didn't help the series in anyway.
  • Start of something new.

Johnny dies... I don't like his character too much, but I think that he could had a better ending than this one. And his death was a little forced, he was mocking Ryan and falled off a cliff?? Ok, weird, really weird. We saw Sandy in doubt about his business methods. I think that he will start to act more Caleb-like now that he saw that it's the only way to win in the lead of Newport group. Summer discovers the truth about Seth... This is gonna bring him trouble, it's guaranteed. And Marissa.. I think that she played with Ryan and Johnny for too much time. She had fellings for Ryan and traded him with Johnny, now she has some feelings dor Johnny (at least is what she shows) and abandon him for Ryan... She deserves neither of them. Was a good episode, I think that will change the story of the third season. Let's see about that.
  • I soo loved Ryan as the character Johnny. He was a sweet and geniuine guy

I soo loved Ryan as the character Johnny. He was a sweet and geniuine guy who's only fault was wanting something he couldn't have. I wish he was still alive there's a hole in my heart where Johnny used to be....Marissa trys to help but only ends up ruining the lives of those she so desparatly trys to help.....
  • A great way to finally finish the Johnny storyline and move on to the rest of the season.

Well yes a great episode with alot happening and the apparent Death of Johnny, and finally a conclusion to a very long storyline. I am just hoping that this doesn't lead to that when A character leaves they have a near death experience (Jimmy, Trey). But otherwise a great episode and back to classic OC.
  • For the first 50 minutes, I thought there was no plot. But the last 10 minutes is awesome.

The fall was rather predictable, but it was still very effective in sending the emotion. I highly doubt that Johny died though. The next episode preview didn't show a lot of crying...sure Marissa looked sad, but when is she ever happy? I may just eat my words next week, but for right now, I'm saying Johny isn't dead.

• A better episode in this season, but I think it’s only the preview for a much better episode.

This time it starts to change again. I hope at least. I mean the last few episodes were quite lame and I hoped for some changes. So Summer finds out everything about Seth’s new secret. I mean I so hoper for some fun the next time after she found out about his pot at the end of this episode. And after we saw her hit him because of the Brown interview, I’m interested what she’s going to do the next time.
    Marissa is finally making a step forward to Ryan, but is thrown back to Johnny after he gets in trouble with Kaitlin.
    But after all damage Kaitlin did, she’s right about one thing: Marissa never can decide, and she can’t decide what her feelings are. So I really think that she also did something great this time.
    Sandy is struggling more and more with his business. He’s just a too great guy to deserve that. Julie Cooper on the other hand, really tries to live in the trailer. She deserves a better live.
    The thing with Johnny, I don’t know - Ryan and Marissa in trouble again. I don’t know.
    Still a really nice episode.
  • Jonny is gone, but will Marissa and Ryan be happy again?

With Jonny the drunk falling off a cliff you wonder if this will change things between Ryan and Marissa, I really don't know where the plot will go from here. It's good they got rid of Jonny all he seemed to do in the last few episodes was hang around in the background looking guilty.

Summer found out about Seth not going to his interview, I wonder what she will be like next week when she confronts him about the pot.

Julie adn Neil have finally got together, what will Summer and Marissa think? And what happened to Taylor?
  • Johnny DIES!

Abosulty amazing i was so surprised that they killed johnny but also very happy because i didnt like him much. They way they did it with kaitlan and him drinking at the beach then him climbing up the rocks to the top then slipping was very original and cleaver this is one of my favourite episodes because it builds a lot of emoition and makes u feel sorry for Marissa. This episode a lot of people dismiss but i really loved it one of the most exciting and emotional episodes of the oc. i hope u like it to .
  • The O.C. 'The Cliffhanger'

I really liked this episode a lot. It was so fantastic and well writen, and it kept you guessing right up until the very end. The reason i put 'painful to watch' as my classification wasn't because it wasn't a good episode, because trust me, i loved it. It was the fact that Johnny was just letting himself go after marissa told him she was going to stay with Ryan. after she confessed to him in the letter he just moped around and i hated that because johnny was one of my favorite characters. I felt so bad for him and I knew something horrible was going to happen when he started drinking like crazy when he was with Caitlin on the beach. Everything from the point that he started climbing the rock to the very end was so stressful for me, i could hardly breath. His last lines were so sad too, because he was telling Ryan how he didn't want to be saved by him because then Marissa would just love Ryan more, and then he fell off. I tryed so hard not to cry, but that was just a horrible part.
    I think this episode has to be one of my favorites! It was so good.
  • In what is probably the most exciting episode of the season, Johnny's time with Marissa is tragically cut short while Summer does some investigating and Julie bites off more than she can chew.

This episode had everything i've wanted all season.

S/S was awesome. Back to making me laugh. Loving StonedSeth!

Johnny actually ACTED.

They were actually able to make me interested in the Newport Group plotline, more than I have ever been this season. There was a lot more Kandy, and i appreciated every second.

Julie was flawless! I laughed out loud when she wore the shades and black hood in the restaurant. Hot Pockets. "I know you've been married for like 200 years" Best line of the night.

Ryan being... Ryan for the first time in forever! Called Marissa out, and the scene with him and Johnny in the poolhouse was great. I love Ryan all over again. Him and Marissa had perfect chemistry tonight. Though it involved a lot of question about their relationship, it was great to see real interaction between them. Loved their brief makeout, it was hot.

I really enjoyed the part Kaitlin has come to play in everyone's life recently. She seems to be shedding light on a lot of things, and it may be causing drama, but good drama nonetheless.

Fall at your Feet was the perfect song for the beach scenes. I loved everything about it. There was actual emotion from each actor, and Ryan's face when he didn't catch Johnny, that hit hard. I teared up a tad bit.

My favorite episode of Season 3
  • Not impressed

3.9
    There are so many more wonderful things you can do to a character when you get tired of him. In fact, there are so many other ways of dealing with a short term character, than leave his character so undeveloped we have all but guessed his demise before it happens.

I really liked Johnny, but I knew his days were numbered from Marissa's very first day at NU. Now see, the writers should take a good look at Veronica Mars and take a page out of their book when it comes to dealing with temporary characters. I don't think anyone was expecting Beaver to go, never mind go like that.

Anyway, I've rated the episode really low, but the fact remains that I am addicted to this show.
  • In this episode of The O.C., many things are revealed. Summer finds out about Seth's newly developed habit, Ryan and Marissa try to figure out their relationship, Johnny tells Marissa he loves her, and Sandy finds out his business associate's relationship

This episode was ok. They're has definately been better, but the ending was very surprising. I really thought that Johnny wasn't going to fall. I hope Summer and Seth can work things out because I think they're perfect for each other. I thought that Johnny and Marissa would have made a cute couple, but she couldn't have done anything to hurt Ryan. Anyways, overall this episode was only ok but very important to the series!!
  • Kirsten and Julie's matchmaking business continues. Kaitlin/Johnny/Marissa/Ryan storyline is wrapped up with the death of someone in the last 5 minutes. An episode that started as an average one but ended as an OC classic.

I thought this episode started off as average but it ended an OC classic- what a great instalment! Summer and Seth’s storylines are good but coming off silly- Seth smoking pot?? I found it funny but out of character. I get why he did it though. They’re a cute couple anyway and I hope they get some dramatic roles to do when they arrive at Brown (hopefully they’re together). Julie and Neil are worth watching- I hope they make Neil a regular because his team up with Julie is excellent. I didn’t really care about Sandy’s storyline… that Matt guy lol… that was a downside to the episode- it’s boring! And Kirsten has nothing to do but give Julie advice- give Kirsten something to do! And now we move on to the episode’s central focus: the “square” that has trapped Marissa, Kaitlin, Johnny and Ryan in. It ended (well I hope it did) tonight and it was a great way to top off a plotline. See ya Johnny! I didn’t like his character lol but who did? A great episode of The O.C. as usual, I cant wait until next week’s episode.

Episode Grade- B+.
  • Sandy and his partner have it out about the hospital while Marissa must choose between Johny or Ryan...

This episode resolves the Ryan-Marissa-Johny triangle or as Kaitlin would like to say "square" (including herself).

Highlights:
    +Neel realizes he misses Julie
    +Summer calls Seth a B**** lol and comments on his small butt
    =Kaitlin continues to meddle with the Johny-Marissa-Ryan triangle.
    -Marissa makes her choice between Ryan and Johny and causes one person to make a fatal mistake in what could be death...

Great episode! One of the better ones this season. Lets hope next weeks is as good as this one!

_=Dfan46=_ :)

P.S. This is my first review!!!
  • So Sandy and Matt are talking about the hospital and Matt tells Sandy that he went to school with the daughter of the man on the hospital board. He basicaly wants to wine and dine her, so they can get the hospital project.

Kaitlyn goes to talk to Ryan and tells him that she really likes Johnny and She needs Ryan to get Marissa to talk to johnny, or something like that.
    Ryan meets Marissa and tells her that he needs to know how she feels about Marissa and he doesnt want to see her again until she knows for sure.
    Marissa writes Johnny a letter, I guess rejection and he gets Kaitlyn to go to the beach with him and some tequila. They build a fire.
    In the meantime, Julie set Neal up on a blind date and spied on him but an old friends walks in and see s her and then sees Neal sitting at a table closeby and drags her over, He asks if she is spying on him and she couldnt speak, she just turned around and left.
    Later Neal shows up at Julies trailor and tells her that he wants her.
    Kaitlyn is getting worried about Johnny who is three sheets to the wind and he decides to go and climb a rock/cliff.
    She gets scared and calls Marissa, who is in the middle of making out with Ryan. Then Marissa hands the phone to Ryan who realises that Johnny is in real trouble and they go to him.
    When they arrive at the beach, Marissa goes to Kaitlyn while Ryan finds another way on the cliff.
    Johnny gets mad and screams at Marissa, and says that Ryan doesnt need to Save him again in front of Marissa, that would jsut make her love him more.
    Then he says that Ryan thinks that Johnny is going to fall, and that ryan would grab his hand at the last minute and save his life. At that moment, the screen sort of stands still as Johnny slips.
    We see Ryan slide to his rescue and reach out to grab a hold of Johnny's hand. Marissa pulls Kaitlyns head towards her so she cant see what is happening.
    Then the camera cuts its angle back to Ryan's arm, which is hanging over the cliff. EMPTY.. Revealing that Johnny wasn't saved. He fell.
  • Yet one more excellent episode in a series that has reshaped the way viewers look at the third season for the best.

While I never believed that the OC would go off the air or lose all of its devoted fans, I am happy to say that this episode was just one more in a continuing series of episodes that have all been remarkable.

This is the portal back to the "good old days". The writers do an excellent job as this episode flows smoothly without any bumps. The cliffhanger at the end was, indeed, an aspect that many viewers did not expect. All issues, however, were finally brought together as the episode ended and the wait for next week's episode began.

If the OC continues to be this good, FOX will dominate Thursday night tv.
  • Marissa confesses her true feelings to Jonny which does not go down well with him and he takes a dangerous climb.

Even though what was going to happen was predictable, I was sitting in front of the T.V crying! I found it funny when Seth and Summer was watching the movies and Seth finds the glowing blue screen as amazing as the movies they watched! I found it nice when Marissa was comforting Kaitlin when Jonny was at the top of the cliff and Ryan goes up to help Jonny... then Jonny and Ryan had an argument and Jonny askes Ryan what was he going to do save his life and then he slips and Ryan tries to save him but misses... that was why I labeled this review tear jerker... it was so sad. My brother said they should have shown him all mangled at the bottom of the cliff or something but it was already sad enough! Great ep!
    Oh my god....i can not say i didnt cry for hours after this episode even ended. I know most people didnt like him, which is proberably why they had to kill him off...but i honestly did. I though Marissa was such a bitch to him by not even caring about his feelings. Like who writes their feelings in a letter...if your going to tell someone tell them to their face. Its less painful. Poor Johnny, and Kaitlyn knew he was upset why did she give him booze? oh and notice the next episode...they barely even gave a crap he was dead. Well Ryan For one barely even made an effort to save him. Personally I think he wanted him to fall. I can tell you right now i am never watching the Oc again...why couldnt the writers just have made him move away or something? anyway im not going to babble on anymore im just going to tell you now you lost a viewer by killing him off...
  • Yeeeeeeeeeey, Johnny's GONE!!!!!! It's the only reason why i gave this episode a 6.7

6.7
    Boring episode, only good thing was the departure of Johnny and Summer finding out about Seth's marihuana.

Ryan totally overreacted about the Johnny issue and stuff and that irritated me.

Julie and Kirstens part was funny and Sandy's stuff was also pretty intersesting.

Yeeeeey, no more Johhny and hopefully also no more Chilli

Ding Dong, the freak is dead
  • ok.. ok... now it's too much!

7.1
    It is ok that just the minority likes jonnhy, and they really don't wanna see he disturbing ryan and marissa's relantionship anymore, but kill him? c'mon! they cross the line! outside it's is too much, is too many drama to marissa! i mean, everything happens to her! in first season there was oliver and theresa. then in the second one alex, dj and trey. and now, in the third, her father leave her forever and jonnhy's death! please! give her a break! she deserve some happinnes too! witch we doesn't see coming, since ryan seems to be at least a little interest at jonnhy's cousin wich, in my opinion, is a totally nonsense history!
  • A fantastic episode that wrapped up major storylines and put the season on the right track. That's not to say that the writers can't screw it up, but it's far less likely now.

Johnny Harper, we hardly knew ye.

Actually, that’s not true. We knew ye, and we knew ye all too well. That’s actually a lie, too. We saw ye often but knew ye very little because Ryan Donowho is a pathetic actor, and the writers are complete imbeciles for subjecting us to a one-dimensional character for somewhere around 100 episodes.

Alas, though, let us pause and remember the good times of Johnny Harper. Like the time he died. Yes, that’s pretty much it.

Before we get into all the greatness surrounding the death of a fictional character that we all hated as if he were real, I’d like to take a moment and say that this was definitely the best episode of the season. Not only was it funny, but it was smart, it was well-balanced, it was well-acted, and it was progressive in the sense that it furthered the characters, and it furthered the plot. The show that was once horribly stagnant is making a tremendous recovery, and I absolutely love it. It’s not perfect again yet, but for me, it’s as good as the latter half of season two, and since I loved most everything after “The Rainy Day Women,” I consider that a pretty high standard.

Now, moving on to the episode, let’s start with the demise of Johnny. And yes, he’s dead. Or, at least, he’s supposed to be. Everyone next will believe that he’s dead, and I really can’t imagine Josh waking Johnny up at the end of the season to come surfing through Harbor’s graduation. I firmly believe that he is dead, so I will address him as such and say that I felt, for the first time, that the Johnny/Marissa/Ryan triangle played out correctly. I think it’s ridiculous that it took Kaitlin’s arrival to force Ryan to see what was going on. I do believe that he was aware of the shady dealings between Marissa and Johnny, but he was willing to ignore them for the sake of his own sanity. It’s been little less than a tumultuous year for Ryan. The writers have completely ignored the aftermath of Trey’s shooting, though I suppose that if we wanted to try to make logic out of illogic, we could say that Ryan’s distance from everything, particularly his acceptance of playing second fiddle to Johnny, is a way of showing just how wounded he is. He doesn’t even have the strength anymore to step in and try to change things because he’s comfortable playing in the shadows. Ryan’s insecurities have never been dealt with properly on this show, but I think that this episode was a step in the right direction of forcing Ryan to deal with things. He finally stepped up to the plate and said to Marissa what needed to be said. He told her he couldn’t see her anymore, and he didn’t bother to wait for the excuse. When Marissa started her sentence and Ryan just got up and walked away was an absolute perfect scene. I thought that it’d go on longer and allow for Marissa to make her excuses, but it didn’t. Ryan had every right to do that, too, and Marissa had no right to be upset or to even try to justify herself because she’s had plenty of opportunities to right the ridiculous wrongs, and she hasn’t. That’s why I was slightly upset when Ryan just went to making out with her, though I suppose I don’t blame him. He did still leave it as if it weren’t completely resolved, though, which I do like. I was also very pleased when Johnny came to talk to Ryan, and Ryan was a complete dick, calmly listening to Johnny and then telling him to go away. It’s what Ryan should have done several episodes ago. He had every right to be angry, and the fact that he allowed Johnny to string along this long is amazing. While I guess it’s commendable that Johnny was letting Ryan know that he was going after Marissa, it’s still frustrating that it took this long. That’s what’s been the most overwhelmingly annoying part of this entire Johnny debacle: it’s gone nowhere. It’s been the same thing week after week. Johnny looks at Marissa with his one look. She looks at him with her one look. And Ryan walks away. Words are spoken, but nothing is said. When I see how this episode was done, I cringe because I realize that this episode could have been done five episodes ago and achieved the exact same effect, all while ridding us of the storyline earlier. Why it had to be such a prolonged thing, I’ll never know.

From everything that I can gather, Josh wanted us to empathize (or is it sympathize?) with Johnny thus making his death more powerful. Unfortunately, they completely failed because he had not one endearing trait. He was capable of only one emotion—sadness—and even that emotion was displayed unconvincingly. The actor, who I’ve shockingly heard is a good actor outside of this show, looked constantly bored. I can buy Adam being bored in the scripts since he had nothing to do, but since entire episodes were built around Johnny, Donowho must have just been completely lazy. Further, we were supposed to believe that Johnny would fall for Marissa despite the fact that she has been written terribly this year. She put Ryan’s life in front of her own in the premiere, but other than that, she has done absolutely nothing right. She’s self-absorbed, she’s whiney, she’s illogical, she’s bitchy, and she’s a general downer. We all understand that she has issues to deal with given what happened with Trey and Jimmy’s untimely departure, but there was never any logical progression from one emotion to another. She just is these things. Because of all this, no one ever bought the Johnny/Marissa relationship. There was no reason to care, no reason to root for them. Neither character is at all likeable right now; neither character is at all worth watching. They were shoved down our throats in lieu of the characters that fans have clamored for constantly. I suppose that, in a sense, Josh’s big death worked. People were interested in Johnny’s death. But I doubt that Josh hoped that it would go this way. He wanted people to scream for him not to jump. Instead people were jumping up and down, slapping high fives, and talking about how great it was that this character is no longer. I do feel some sympathy for his mom and for Chili since they did absolutely nothing wrong. True, Chili was nothing more than a cheap imitation of Seth, but he never did anything that gave fans a reason to hate him. Johnny Lewis has a natural charisma, so he was easy to watch. Johnny’s mom had absolutely no personality, but she seemed nice enough, so I feel sorry for her. Teen deaths are always tragic, but I don’t see why anyone would care that Johnny’s dead now. Feel sorry for the people around him, but don’t feel sorry for him. And if you don’t want to feel sorry for him, blame Marissa since it was her inability to let go that led to his death. The previews show that people might try to blame Ryan, but the truth is, it was all Marissa. Maybe this time she’ll be charged with murder.

I continue to love Kaitlin as she’s an extremely nuanced character with a penchant for saying the right thing. As an outsider she sees what everyone else doesn’t. Her ice cream analogy (or is it a metaphor or both?) was right on. I almost like her as much as her nuanced mother, someone who continues to be absolutely terrific on the show. There isn’t much to say about the Julie/Neil romance that I haven’t said in the past. These two are absolutely perfect together with a terrific chemistry. The relationship feels real, and Julie’s plots to spy on Neil ring so true of an eighth grader lending this storyline a very innocent feel. It’s real. It’s not a tainted love. Neil, despite being too big to stand in Julie’s trailer, always appears happy when Julie is around, and Melinda always plays the scenes with a perfect shock, a shock that suggests she doesn’t feel good enough to have such a great guy. I felt that the scenes where Julie was spying on Neil were excellent, somewhat heartwarming but completely hilarious. Truthfully, is there anymore to say other than these actors are delivering spot-on performances and the writing is perfect? Here’s to Julie Cooper-Nichol-Roberts.

I’m also still a fan of Sandy’s storyline, though it needs to have an overly dramatic moment thrown in soon because it has potential to lag. I believe that exploring Sandy’s demons is a perfect way to take the story, but it can’t simply be that he changes his mind and fires Matt. This has to build to a climatic showdown before or during the finale. I’ve predicted that Matt would be a hotshot business person and nothing more since the beginning, and there is really something that can come from that. What I don’t want is a Full House moment between the two. Matt’s young and charismatic and that’s exactly all that’s needed to pull off smarmy businessman on television. I believe that if the writers can somehow find a way to have Sandy’s unwillingness to compromise his morals compromise his business or his family, then we have a terrific storyline. I don’t believe that there were any mentions of Caleb this week, and that’s probably a good thing since he was mentioned many times last week, but I do believe name-dropping can do nothing but help this storyline live up to its potential since the dramatic pull is the fact that Sandy worries that he’ll become Caleb. While this show isn’t known for playing with storyline ramifications, using Caleb’s death as a catalyst to Sandy’s problems now is a nice touch. I’m actually just pleased that Sandy has his own storyline now. I don’t like that Kirsten is still relegated to the backburner, but I think she’ll eventually take something of her own. I would hope so at least. I have to give kudos to the writing staff for the moment where Sandy asks Kirsten if it’s okay to drink. Despite the fact he didn’t care last week, it’s nice to see the writers trying to fix their gaffe. You can also look at it as Sandy being so out of it after compromising himself that he didn’t even realize he was drinking in front of Kirsten. With a clearer head, he realized just how uncomfortable the situation can be. I’m hoping that somehow the Newport Group finds its way back to Kirsten and Sandy finds his way back into the courtroom so we can finally get the lawyer scenes that would clearly be incredible.

Or maybe Sandy can drop out of business and law altogether and just give lectures on the dangers of pot. Okay, maybe not since that would put this show dangerously in the public service announcement territory, and since Seth denounced After School Specials on the pier, I would hope that this doesn’t go into this territory when Sandy finds out. Maybe he won’t find out at all. I believe that that’s the smart way to go, actually because any scene where Sandy, a noted pothead from back in the day, confronts Seth was a pamphlet for a rehab center will be entirely awkward especially after last season’s powerful intervention. Hey, though, maybe Seth will go back to rehab and he can meet Charlotte since he never did before! And maybe this time, we can get a payoff. It’s obvious that’s where they’re going. Layers, people, this show is about layers and continuity! Ahem. Anyway, I love how this storyline continues to feel incredibly realistic. I don’t believe that Seth is addicted to pot (can you be addicted to pot?), but he’s addicted to feeling terrible because with each day that passes he’s coming closer to realizing what he’s terrified up. Everything good in his life is slowly being taken away, and he’s being thrust into a world that he doesn’t quite know. It’s not say that things might not be good for him in college—Josh said that the Seth character was one that was supposed to be cool when he gets to college—but he doesn’t know yet. It’s a daunting task. Even switching semesters in high school requires a change, so imagine having to move across the country to switch classes, houses, and friends. Now, given that he’s blown his interview, there’s the possibility that he won’t get in at all, and he won’t have to worry about change, but he’ll have to worry about losing his dream. I think it’s a nice double-edged sword. Can he really win in this situation? As Ryan pointed out, the scary thing about Seth’s new drug play is that he does it alone. He’s isolated everyone. Maybe he’ll become so isolated that he’ll be ready to leave Newport again. Maybe not. I’m assuming that Summer will hit him and kill him since that’s what she does. A lot of people are saying that the hitting is too much, by the way, but I don’t know if it’s too much. I just don’t think it’s that cute. There has to be a better way to show angry affection. All that aside, Brody continues to be fantastic in his role. He’s not overblown, he’s not annoying, but he’s genuinely funny. He alternates between vulnerable and high with such ease that it makes me think Brody’s done it before. Hey, an actor must suffer for his craft. I wasn’t a huge fan of the way that Summer found the pot, but there really isn’t much of a better one. At least it gave us the amazing visual of Seth staring at a blue screen. And I’d praise the “take off our pants line” but my stupid Fox affiliate came in to let me know that Michael Smith was giving a weather report at 10. Yes, the same douche that you can find here: http://whns.images.worldnow.com/images/64843_G.jpg. I e-mailed the affiliate but didn’t get a response. That’s okay.

Random Thoughts…

J.J. Philbin, who I have never cared much for as a writer, did a fantastic job on the script. It was incredibly funny at the right moments, and the characters said the right things instead of the stereotypical things. She jus got married so maybe marriage agrees with her.

Johnny has a low tolerance for alcohol doesn’t he?

How horrible would it have been if they’d shown Johnny fall? I’m not talking about sadness, I’m talking about cheese factor. Does he fall and scream, “Marrisssaaaa…!” as he falls? Do they play Looney Toons music as he falls? Or him folding up like Wile E. Coyote? Actually, that sounds pretty funny. I don’t think it would lessen the impact since we all felt Johnny was a cartoon character anyway. Actually, if Charlie Brown were a real person, he’d be Johnny Harper.

For once, the Fox promo people didn’t lie. Kudos to them.

Okay, music in this episode included a band named Rock Kills Kid and a song called “Fall at Your Feet.” Who is to say that Josh has lost his sense of humor? That’s just flat out unbelievable.

It’s come to my attention that I’m too harsh on Marissa. I don’t care. There isn’t a single redeeming quality about her at the moment. If someone has one to share then please let me know. And I’m talking about now. Not season one when he problems weren’t necessarily her own, when she was somewhat endearing. She’s far from that now. Or maybe I’ve just gotten bitter.

I’m sad to know that Willa Holland’s run is coming close to an end. She’s scheduled to come back eventually, I think, and the show could only benefit. I’d love to see her become a regular next season.

Speaking of someone who should be a regular, where the hell is Taylor? She can’t possibly be absent this many episodes in a row. This show needs her. With all the good that’s come from the last two weeks, she can only make it better.

On that note, I think I’ll call it a morning. I kind of skimmed over a few things, but I’m just absolutely swamped with school work. The show is taking a hiatus after next week, and while I’m disappointed in that, I’m pretty happy that it’ll give me time to catch up. I suppose I’ll ready everything on my syllabi in a month and then have nothing to do when the shows start up, and I can focus all my energy here. Okay maybe that won’t happen.

For the few of who you who read this but haven’t seen the episode, get out and find a copy! This was a tremendous episode from a story standpoint, a script standpoint, and a historical standpoint. Everything about it was just fantastic. An important, if horribly dull, storyline was wrapped up. It’s a new beginning, and this was the perfect way to usher it in. Here’s to hoping they don’t decide to call it a new era again.

Have a good one.

-Drew
    dukedevils9192@gmail.com
  • Summer uncovers the truth about Seth. Marissa has to finally choose between Johnny and Ryan. Sandy just can't decide where to draw the moral line.

Things moved and moved fast in this episode. I completely loved this one. Don't agree with Sandy though. Just wish that he'd stop being so fussy and get on like a real businessman. Matt has a good attitude. This episode sure had flaws. What the hell was Johnny doing in Ryan's room after telling Marissa that he loved him ? Why trying to be a nice guy when you have already put their relationship in jeopardy ? I loved the ending too. Never liked Johnny. How I wish that he dies ! Lolz. I hope you also agree with me ??
< 1 2