The O.C.

The Distance

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Nov 04, 2004 on FOX

• this was a good ep

in this ep of the show the oc is the season 2 premair and it begins were things left off on seth went to live with luke and his dad they are having a good time and he still does not miss home and for his parentes thats a diffrent story they having house reavations right now and kirsten misses her son and so does sandy so she wants sandy to go and get him and ryan is with terrsa and there starting ther new life togeather and the baby and merrisa is in a dark place in that new big house that she does not want to be in and summer is trying to get over seth this was a good way to start the season off
  • Yeah, not a good way to begin a season when the previous season left off on such a sad note.

Season One ended on a really strong note. Ryan thought he was making everything better by leaving Newport, but instead things get worse. Marissa is drinking, Summer is depressed, Seth left to Portland, and when the last minute was up on the last episode of season one, all you thought about was how the second season was going to confront all of these problems. Well, it couldn't have been anymore disappointing. The idea of Theresa faking her babies death to send Ryan back to Newport was kind of decently executed at first, but then it left a very sour taste in your mouth because everything that was build up in season one's ending was turned into complete waste. Hopefully we won't see anymore of Theresa and Eddie and it'll wash away this rather mediocre season opener.
  • I liked the ending, but I thought Marissa was the biggest unnecessary drama queen ever. Well, that's old news.

I am so happy Teresa's storyline was over. Woohoo. She was so boring. I saw no point of having her around. I must say, The O.C. has a lot of pointless characters, although I do like this show. A lot of time I find Marissa pointless, too. Well, guys think she's hot, and that's why she's in the show. She doesn't have any dynamics, in my opinion. She's so flat and always the same. She doesn't change or surprise me at all. Ahh well. Seth' so cute! Haha! I am biased because I am in love with Adam Brody. Can you blame me? That guy is a God of Sexy.
  • A cheap and unimaginative fix, a disappointing season premiere.

(Spoilers ahead) The first episode of the second season picks up with all the great cliffhangers of the first: Ryan is back in Chino, Seth has left New Port, Kirsten is upset over her son leaving, etc.. And then all these great conflicts are resolved in one 40 minute episode. Even more so, the episode reduces the main characters to whiny, fickle shells of their former selves. Ryan cares enough about his pregnant girlfriend to leave New Port, where he had made a life and a family for himself, to be with her. Then when she calls him and says the baby has died, he doesn't even botter checking up on her. Seth flees all across the country, leaving his family in shambles, to run away from an environment he hates. Then when Ryan moves back to New Port, he's willing to forget everything and move back home as well. Kirsten, heart broken over her son leaving, refuses to do anything but sit at home and complain about it. And finally Summer moves on in a heart beat, leaving us with almost no clues as to how she did get over her relationship with Seth.

After this episode, the only real fall out from the first season cliffhangers, is Marissa being reduced back to where she was at the start of the series. All characters are set back, ready for another season of the same, and that in a cheap and easy fix.

A very disappointing start of the second season.
  • This is an O.C classic that is seriously underrated by the fandom!

I have always loved this episode and no matter how many times I watch it, the episode never fails to impress me. Its only fault was that it resolved all the cliff-hanger issues from the season 1 finale in the space of 40 minutes. Despite this shortcoming, it was still a fabulous episode. It had some great moments: the opening spat between Sandy and Kirstin, Summers poolside rant about b%#@'s on boats', Julie going to look for a new pony for Kaitlin due to China being as 'bald as a baby's ass', the Sandy Seth dinner fight, Marissa's poolside meltdown and of course Seth's foot tapping and running to stop Ryan - then returning to Newport...the list goes on! What I enjoyed most though, was the impact that Ryan and Seth's leaving had on all of the characters. In all, this was an excellent opener to a brilliant season. The O.C, for me at least, has a number of episodes that no matter how many times you re-watch them, they still affect you the same way they did the first time round; they are the episodes you never tire of. This is one of them.
  • This is an O.C classic that is seriously underrated by the fandom!

• The O.C. Orange County, It's where all the beautiful people live.

It's been three months since Ryan left to live with the pregnant Theresa in Chino, and Seth subsequently sailed off to Portland to live with Luke and his divorced, gay father. With a week before school will start, Kirsten is furious that Sandy has yet to bring Seth back to Newport. Sandy says that they can't bring him back kicking and screaming, because that will only make him want to run away again. Also in the Cohen household, there's a group of re-modelers led by macho man Archie, creating a new family room and re-designed kitchen, a project that apparently was used to distract Kirsten from going from having two sons in the house to none. Meanwhile, Summer tells Marissa that she's been hanging out with a new kid, but refuses to get close to him, saying she'll never get close to a boy again. Marissa knows just how she feels. She misses Ryan but just can't bring herself to call him to see how he's doing. Caleb's paranoia about being indicted is growing all summer long. Back at the Cohen household, Kirsten calls Seth in Portland and begs him to come home. Seth refuses, saying Newport is an awful place. Sandy decides to fly to Portland to possibly use reverse psychology to convince Seth to come back. He also visits Ryan in Chino to deliver him a plane ticket to Portland, thinking maybe the two could deliver an unbeatable one-two punch combination. It's apparent to everyone in Chino, including Theresa, that Ryan is miserable, and doesn't consider it to be his home anymore. Before heading up to Portland, Sandy speaks with Caleb in a parking garage, as Cal is paranoid his home, the office, and other places might be bugged and the phone lines tapped. Once in Portland, Sandy is shocked to see the level of hostility Seth shows his father. Seth seems content to stay in Portland, and continuing to resent his parents for letting Ryan go, and Ryan for leaving. Back in Newport, Jimmy and Marissa join Kirsten for dinner to keep her company, and Marissa goes into the pool house further fueling her missing Ryan. Sitting on the beach that night, she calls Ryan in Chino, but can't bring herself to say anything, so he lays there listening to her breathe, knowing it's her. Julie tells Marissa she's grounded because she's sick of being ignored. Marissa has a meltdown screaming, crying, and throwing lawn furniture into the pool unable to stand anymore of her evil mother or her evil stepfather. Summer visits the Cohen household with a box of Seth's stuff, telling Kirsten she's there she get rid of anything that ever reminded her of Seth. She dumps the box on the bed, and leaves. Later, just before Sandy leaves Portland he tells Seth that he's fine with him staying in Newport, as long as he knows he's safe and happy. And as Sandy is leaving, Ryan is showing up, making his best attempt to convince Seth to go back. It doesn't seem to work until Theresa calls Ryan at Luke's house, and tells him she's lost the baby, saying the doctor couldn't find a heartbeat. Theresa's mother later reveals that Theresa was lying, and she never lost the baby. It's the next morning as Ryan is to leave that the two, Seth and Ryan, decide maybe going back to Newport would be the best thing for the both of them-and the two return to the Cohen household.

- Alex
  • An average new season start, nowhere near Season 1 quality.

I liked seeing Marrisa's tantrum in this episode as it didn't completely ignore Season 1 & the scenes in Portland were very good too, I would have liked to have seen some Pacific Ocean Seth scenes though & I felt kind of angry about how Ryan keeps switching Theresa / Marissa / Theresa/ Marissa / Theresa / Marissa. But oh well! The scenes in The Nichol Castle were great & it looks so luxurious. This episode really confused me a lot, why? Because I didn't realy get where Seth went, I didn't get the whole Kirsten/Sandy storyline & I didn't get Ryan & Theresa. But it was still an ok episode of The O.C.!
  • Great episode!

I really loved this episode. It is one of my favourites. And anybody who wants to know if they are an O.C. obesessed fan to watch this episode over and over again and see if reacted the same way (eg. laugh, cry etc) when you first wacthed it. When the first season ended I really hated Theresa for coming and Telling Ryan about the Baby but she resumed herself.
    Favourite quotes from this episode are:

Kirsten: Seth, it's Mom. Seth: Mom, hmm? Blonde, sharp Anglican features, cute little nose? Kirsten: Come home. Seth: Did Ryan come back? Kirsten: Seth Ezekiel. Seth: Okay, using the dreaded middle name is not the best way to forge a bond.

Seth: Ok, here's the deal. I hate it there. Now if you and Dad decide to move anywhere else on the planet then we can talk.

Sandy Cohen: Sometimes the best thing is for a kid to have some space. Kirsten: The Pacific Ocean? That's not enough space? and last but Definitely not least...

Ryan Atwood: Hey, so, ah, I was thinking. Seth: I was thinking too. You know they don't even have a water polo team here. That's just gonna be a problem for me. Everyone should watch this one!!!!
  • Yay Seth and Ryan are back

I'm so glad that Ryan and Seth are back, its a shame that Marissa is with DJ otherwise it would be like old times.

Marissa really does have a drink problem, I hope she can get over it and that Julie doesn't make it worse.

I'm so gutted that Summer is with Zach even if they aren't officially seeing each other, Summer and Seth make such a good couple.
  • An average start to Season 2. I wasn't really impressed with the first half of this season.

So, The OC is back in it’s all new Thursday night time slot. Ratings were down a lot compared to it’s previous timeslot (that was expected) but it did excellent for FOX as other shows failed in that slot. It just proves that The OC is here to stay. But I wasn’t impressed with the first half of Season 2… nor were a lot of people. So the storyline is… Seth has gone to Portland and Sandy is trying everything to bring him back including going to Ryan who is starting up his life with Theresa and her baby. Marissa is still sad about Ryan’s disappearance… Summer has moved on… Julie is on high form as Caleb’s wife… Jimmy and Hailey are happy. I don’t know why but I just didn’t enjoy this season premiere… It wasn’t as good as season 1 but there’s a thing in which shows do in season 2… “a sophomore slump” and The OC definitely suffered from a slump… in quality. The acting was improved… especially Mischa Barton and her throwing chairs in this episode. That was a highlight. Another highlight was Sandy trying to get Seth back and with Ryan’s help he did. An average episode of The O.C… nothing special.

Episode Grade- C.
  • not impressed

4.8
    i don't know where to start with this epsoide because it felt so diffrent to what the OC was like in S1, the scency was diffrent in fact most of it was diffrent. i like the new OC credits, it was better then S1 one.

Tresa, she did make a good decision about lying to Ryan about the baby but i kinda of agree with that critics that Ryan should of made sure instead of running away back to OC, i mean we and Tressa saw he was unhappy and she gave him a way out but still i would liked to see good-bye scence instead seth and ryan coming back to cohen house. i wasn't happy there could of easily strench this into 2 epsoide instead of cramming it into one epsoide.

Seth, well he's a pompus jerk imo, i mean he has everything apart from friends he has a pool house a swimming pool what more do u need, i mean his life is so much better then mines,can't see why he want to run away. i did like celeb line about him running away with luke gay dad, it put a smile to my face.

Marrisa hasn't change and it's always nice to see Jimmy and Julie being civil to each other. Summer still talk like nutcase i mean did anyone understand postive -ve enegy she was chatting about. Sandy still his witty self in fact he second chacter that hasn't change. Celeb may be in trouble again.