The O.C.

The Graduates

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM May 18, 2006 on FOX

• OMG!

I just watched the season finale and OMG I can't believe what just happened! Major spoilers here so if you didn't see it yet don't read this. It's graduation day everybody knows that. Marissa had a proposition from her father to go work on a boat with him for a year because she doesn't want to go to college yet. Caitlin comes back home to take Marissa's place because she's finally leaving. She said to her mother that now that all the olders are gone she's goint to rule on harbor! Volchok is back hauting Ryan because of the car he stole in last week episode and threatens him because of that. Finally, when Ryan is driving Marissa to the airport, Volchok comes by and there's a major accident. Marissa dies! That's how it ends. It's so sad. Well I hope she's not dead well I say she's dead but maybe not, maybe the next season will begin with her in the hospital and doctors will be able to do something and make her come back to life I don't know. All I can say is I can't wait to the next season to begin. I'll be waiting in major anxiety till september!
  • Wow...I don’t know what to think. Such an amazing yet horrible episode!

I can’t believe they killed Marissa off!!!!! She wasn’t my favorite character or anything, but she was a main character!! I have a bad feeling about the future of the series. Why couldn’t Marissa just go with her dad or something?? But I do have to say that this episode was amazing. That last scene, while they played Hallelujah… wow. Really emotional and maybe one of the best scenes of the series so far. I just can’t get over the fact that she’s dead! Josh Schwartz better have some crazy good ideas about what to do for season 4, because I was still hoping Ryan and Marissa would get back together! Also, they have to stop killing people. Season 2, Caleb dies at the end (and we spend all summer thinking Trey’s dead). Season 3, Johnny and Marissa die! What happened to the rich teenagers on the beach??
  • Watch Video Julie and Marissa have a huge disagreement. After having a heart attack, Sandy is rushed to the hospital. Kirsten and Seth are devastated. Taylor and Summer spy on Dr. Roberts. Ryan drops by Theresa's apartment to talk but she is not alone, Ed

OMG i really hope Mariisa doesn't die like what the hell. I HATE Volloch right now SOOOOO much!!!! She's not going to appear in the fourth season i have 3 sources you can disagree or agree with this review but it's (might be) the truth!!!I hate to say that but it ight! I really hope Mischa changes her mind and acually be's on the fourth season becaue on one of my sources it does say that she is quitting to start acting on movies! But she can't do this like only being 3 characters in the fourth season is retarted!!
  • I am shocked.

This was a sad episode! Now I'm wondering how my senior year at my high school is going to be. I'd never never expected that Marissa would died in this episode. I thought it was going to be Seth. I thought she and Ryan would get back together...at least in the next season. Still I am curious on how the next season is going to be. I wonder who's going to stay in the O.C?
  • What? What? What the heck did I just see? Mischa Barton must have really pissed off the writers.

I....like everyone else who saw this episode...am freakingly, pulling my hair out shocked. I thought Volchok and Marissa seemed to have great chemistry, but I hate Volchok's gut right now. What the heck?

Could there be a slight chance that the writers are just fooling us? Could she wake up from her unconsciousness? Cause I'm in disbelief.

The episode started very happy, but things being solved too easily. Like Seth barely having to face punishment for burning down a house.

The uplifting music for graduation fitted very well with the happy scene. The proud parents cheering for their kids was very fun to watch.

When the kids snuck in the new model house and swam and reminsence, I really thought about the incredible first season and I remembered how tortorous my summer was waiting for the second season to come.

And now, I'm almost feeling the same thing. Seriously, what were the writers thinking? Do they really have a great plan for next season, or have they jumped the shark?

By far the best season finale I've seen this season. The first was Grey's Anatomy.
  • Well this one came with somewhat of a shock. The teens graduate only to be struck by a HUGE tragedy. Lives will definetely be changed after what happened so let's hope they will be able to get through it.

Well the episode was definetely a worth remembering finale. Although the Marissa death was expected, the shock still came when she stopped breathing. This will change the show forever, but the real question is will the show be able to go on? Let's hope. Anyway I thought the ep was done well and everything played out the right way, except the death. S/S moving to college is good. Sandy returning to him old self, also good. And Julie, well I don't know how she will take this. And Ryan, how will he get through this? Amazing finale.
  • Kids graduate, Marissa dies, yada yada yada

7.3
    Meh...The entire episode was pointless as a season finale; until the final scene...and who writes the episode recaps on here...someone should get fired. I have yet to see Sandy have a heart-attack. This can play out as last season\\\'s finale w/ Trey, when we thought he was dead, but it turned out he was alive. I heard recently that McG was planning on an entirely new storyline revolving around Kaitlyn, that will be totally different from the last three seasons. Now McG, what have we learned; every season that starts out completely different and takes a new course, pisses off the fans of the show, and you have to bring everything back to order by the end of the season.
    I don\\\'t know if I\\\'ll be returning back for the entirety of season 4
  • Big mistake... big mistake

6.3
    I have a real good feeling that this show has jumped the shark. Killing off Marisa was a big mistake. Although she is not the only good part of the show, her character was part os a group that will never be the same again. She was a big part of the show and the plot lines including her and Ryan's on again / off again relationship is classic TV.

What will the show do now? Try to replace her character with another your female lead. Good luck! Anyone they bring in will just remind the viewers that Marisa is not there anymore.

All I know is that if she is dead, the sharks are circling, and I can start to watch another show.
  • This episode was kind of a tear jerker!

I thought this episode was very good. However i would have never expected Marissa to die... i was thinking that maybe it was going to be Sandy... actually i hoped it would be Sandy. I still don't believe that she is dead. I am hoping that maybe she is still alive, but i doubt it. I guess we will all just have to wait to see what happens next season. I think that Ryan will take it the hardest, but everyone will have a really difficult time with her death. I just hope that maybe she really isn't dead, i don't know what the show will be like without her. It is so sad to see her die like that! Horible! Otherwise a very good episode.
  • great episode!

yeah, this episode was quite the tearjerker. i thought seth was gonna die in like a fire or something...but ryan lost the love of his life. i don\'t think he'll be going to berkley next year. he'll probably want to avenge marissa's death. next season will be juicy! and katlin's gonna be quite the little temptress!!!
  • The Review that was posted for this show was sooo wrong! What actually happened is that they graduate, Ryan's mother shows up, Marisa decides to go on a trip, but that does not happen thanks to her ex. Marisa ends up dieing!

Man what a shocker! But seriously another death? That is just to much, if i remember correctly last season (ending to season 2) there was a death which rocked the families! But this death of Marisa is really going to hit the families hard. But it hard to believe that she dies. Marisa, Ryan, Summer, and Seth are what make The OC, The OC! But who knows what sorts of twists are awaiting in season 4! Time can only tell.

Aside from all these twist, The OC is the best show on TV. There is not a show which has all the twist and turns which you can find on The OC. Its turely one hell of a roller coaster ride.
  • marissa dies...

i cant belive marissa is dead. how can they do that? that is so wrong.. like how can they do that to ryan?? everyone watched it for marissa and ryan.. next year will be awful.. no one is going to watch it. that is the worst thing they could possibly do... arghh!!!
  • The O.C., Season Three has come to its end, with a SHOCKING cliffhanger, that could very well, go either way, or might it just stay the way it seemed? Graduation, Schemes, Future planning, and a death, or not. Season Four shall be exciting this fall 2006

The fab four graduated finally ending their high school years, and getting ready for college, Marissa throwing college away i think is a mistake, but to visit her father may be good, Seth gets into RisD college, and starts in January is good, Kaitlin returns to rule Harbor in a new generation. Volchok still causes trouble with ryan and marissa, that very well leads up to the most shocking O.C. Finale yet of the three seasons, Volchok battles on the road car to car with ryan & marissa, knocking them off the road, leaving Marissa breathless. CLIFFHANGER of the YEAR.
  • The end of OC as we know it?

Although a gripping episode with concluding flashbacks, one wonders if this signals the series finale as far as I\'m concerned. Unfortunately for life, all good things must come to an end at some point. The OC has had three spectacular seasons, but it is apparent that something this cool cannot last forever. Hearing of a season four is bittersweet, as stretching it out may ruin its status. It sounds as if a story based on Marissa\'s younger sister may make for another season, but it won\'t ever be the OC I knew and loved. Yea, that one that expressed so many issues of the teenage life in a blatant and incredible way. It has done wonders already, upping travel to California and making Hollister co one of the most popular clothing shops ever amongst us teens. They always made the OC to be a great show. And I only hope it does not become solely a money maker.
  • I am so very disapointed! I\'ve been a huge fan of the OC since the very first episode, and now I just feel like the show really let me down.

Why in the world would they kill off Marissa??? She was one of the main four that made the OC what it was, and now what; Katelyn is going to take her place!!! Give me a break! As a huge fan, I feel totally let down. I\'ve been a faithful fan since the very first episode and every thursday after that. It\'s just not fair! The show as I knew it, is over. I\'m not even looking forward to the fourth season. I\'ll probably peak in once in a while to see whats going on, but the show that I\'ve come to love and appriciate for all these years is officially over.
  • could have been better, but still soo good

a little disappointed. loved the flash backs too, wow what an episode. i was hoping sandy got a heart attack but marissa dieing was ok too. the whole episode is really good. i loved it when taylor mentioned the three some in the beg of the ep, that was funny. very very sad episode, pretty much everyone cried. loved the graduation scene. the last scene, one of the best scenes ever in tv history. but i dont like where the direction of the story is going, i hope the death of marissa is not the final nail to the coffin of the OC, cant wait to c season 4 though
  • Marissa, what the..? I\'m really confused right now. Disappointment never accured to me. I didn\'t think you could get brought down, and angry on an O.C. episode. But i just did.

Seriously. I am pissed. First of all, what\'s the bs with Sandy\'s heartattack? Ryan visiting Theresa, i mean, non of what tvtome said, was true. I guess it could\'ve been a majure change in the season finale, cause Mischa got fired. Still it was a really lame ending. I mean, I usually cry, but i this time i really didn\'t. Burke, and producers, lousy job.
    I was disappointed, i thought it was going to be like you\'ve written here at tvtome. What ever. I\'m so confused I don\'t know what to say. Hope this wasn\'t the end of all things. Season 4 must come. Without Kaitlyn. Seriosly i\'m very disappointed. VERY! They totally destroyed the whole feeling of it alla being over, with marissas death. Argh!
  • i can not believe that they killed marissa it\'s just so stupid she\'s being in every episode of the o.c unlike summer who was not even suppose to be a star i mean in a i really don\'t think i can watch the o.c again but i will

this was a bad show not really bad but what happened in it was bad they killed marissa i mean why really she has been in this show since day one and she has made it so dramatic and know they just decieded tyo kill i mean why not taylor or somthing but marissa it\'s just so sad i mean what\'s ryan gonna do she\'s was like his real first love and know she\'s gone i really don\'t think i can watch the o.c ever again but i will for the show and to see what they do after her
  • It wasn\\\'t good.

7.3
    Come on, people. What did you expect? Her character became so wishy washy this season: After her new dad died, her other dad left, and she was stuck in a public high school, Marissa changed from the other group. They did people a favour by getting rid of her: Now they can focus on the other three, who still have a legitimate story.
  • Too short to do it here.

So I can\'t believe almost everyone who wrote before me doesn\'t get it. Mischa wanted to stop doing the show! I mean it was pretty obvious she was the one to die when they completely wrote her out of everyone else\'s storylines... yeah she\'s going n a boat, harmlessly tugging her away... Also, Mischa has to be a you-know-what and spread it to radio stations and gossip pages that she was going to be the one to die, because she didn\'t give two craps about the show\'s finale being suspenseful. And the preview given on this website was one of the spoiler rumors going around, The OC has no control over it. TV.com screwed up, not The OC.

So I guess no one gets it... why would the OC writers kill off perhaps not the main character on the show, but obviously the biggest draw and most famous actor on the show. It\'s not likely. Shock did get in, however, about half an hour after it happened. Mischa really did ruin it for me. I was driving to work and on the radio they were talking about the finale and the DJ was like \"Mischa Barton says that her alter ego \'Marissa Cooper\' is the one to di......\" before I had a chance to turn it off. Mischa being Mischa.

But, yeah, like I said, I watched it and it didn\'t phase me. When she woke up at first I thought maybe she\'d make it, but it became so clear she was going to die. I\'m surprised it didn\'t really bother me. They spent about 41 minutes (minus commercials) leading you up to her death: angry Volchuk, no college, Greek Shipping Islands? Please. Could not have been more expected. While I wasn\'t a huge fan of Marissa, I have to admit I\'m holding out that it was a dream sequence. I didn\'t like her character, and much of the crap she pulled all the time, but I always loved that security blanket that from time to time they can throw her back together with Ryan and everyone can get all nostalgic about it.

So that is the bigger issue here... Ryan. He cried, which really surprised me, but this is going to screw with him so much. He lost another person that he loves, and this time for good. While it isn\'t a cliff-hanger, it does make me wonder how this is going to screw with everyone in the first couple episodes of Season Four. Can Summer bear to go to Rhode Island? How will everyone else take this? How does Ryan explain why Volchuk was pissed without admitting to all the crap he did? Does Volchuk try to get Ryan in trouble? What the hell does Seth do until January? the Cooper-Roberts, how are they going to deal with it?

If this show becomes all about Caitlin and her generation I will be so pissed off. The enchantment of the OC was the four of them... well when it started it was basically Ryan and Marissa (so the OC\'s old charm is officially gone, and it\'s not the writer\'s faults, Mischa wanted out!), and that\'s over now. Sandy and Kirsten have no more kids... so their roles will probably be diminished. Please don\'t make this show into another 90210, with Ryan, Seth, and Summer all making cameos in Newport between college vacations and it being about Caitlin. All of her little friends we saw this season were nauseating. I watch the OC for Ryan, and his only three friends.

Also, it was reported that next season, along the Caitlin, two other characters get larger roles: Taylor, and Jessie (Trey\'s girlfriend from late in Season Two, and a couple episodes of Season Three). I\'m not sure how I feel about this... What\'s really there for Taylor? I mean she\'s in college... And who cares about Jessie? We\'re too far removed from her escapades.

The OC\'s issue really was its revolving door policy on minor characters. I never admitted to this being a problem until now. With people like Zach and Lindsey coming and going, and others like Lance and Carter doing the same for the adults, they had issues bringing people in and keeping them. If Luke, Zach, Alex, DJ, Lindsey, Oliver, or any of those characters had remained, they would have had enough people to all go to college in the same vicinity and keep this show going. Now they can\'t. And with the death of Marissa it\'s a vivid sign that they have done all they could with Ryan\'s generation on the OC. It was about him, and now it\'s not really about him anymore. And I don\'t think the OC can really survive without it\'s Fantastic Fo... I mean Three. I guess we\'ll see.

And for all the people gushing about it being in Rhode Island next year... I live in Rhode Island, and I am not enthused. That would be so dumb if we lose Summer for half the season, or if it is filmed here when both Summer and Seth show up. It\'s the OC, not the RI. But hey, possible return of Anna? Or, in proper OC fashion, will they just not include Anna ever again and not explain her absense from the area when she goes to a pretty small school (in the smallest state) and have them never run into her until it\'s convienient for the plot.

Again, I guess we\'ll see.
  • Stop!!

Stop bashing the show because they killed Marissa and start bashing Mischa Barton who wants to leave the show and that\\\'s the reason they killed Marissa...I think it was an ok episode for me. I like The O.C but I think that this season was not its best. It could be better in my opinion. Even though I liked the twist...No one would expect a main character to die! Btw Mischa will appear as a guest star next season...and the writers said that the show will go on a different direction this fall...I really can\\\'t wait...

btw I love Summer
  • Looking at the Past and Future

Looking back at the past was pivotal to this episodes storyline. Ryan and Marissas relationship was looked upon in the final. The way they did it was great, showing flashbacks of when Ryan left Newport leaving Marissa in the Driveway (S01). The events leading upto the death scene were a bit too dramatized in my opinion. The way Ryan and Volchok were driving towards the bend wasnt well done because Ryan made no real attempt to evade Volchok. It was obvious that Volchok had some sort of malicious intent so why didnt Ryan speed past Volchok or why didnt he slow down/slam brakes to get behind him? I guess we'll never know.

The death(call it that atm...she could be alive but i doubt it) scene was heartwrenching. I was waiting patiently for Marissa to declare her love for Ryan (or Ryans love for her). Alas, it didn't happen. I was a bit sad that they didnt share any real last words (or make out in the car before they started to drive :P ) but I guess the writers strived for realism in that part.

All in all, one of the most saddening OC eps ever.

GO SEASON 4!
  • This was all in all a good episode. I could have done without the ending but I think next season will be awesome.

The show starts off with Marissa, Taylor and Summer do prepartions for graduation.
    Then Julie shows up to give Marissa a letter from her father. She walks off to read it and Summer comes in to see her. She tells Summer that her dad is driving yacts for rich people and needs some more crew members and sent her a plain ticket in case she wants to join him for a year. She decides to go.

Ryan and Seth are sitting in Ryans pool house and Seth is going on and on about how he lied to his dad and he didn\'t want to do \"hard time\" in jail. Ryan says lying to Sandy is worst.
    Seth says he needs to go get his IPOD to listen to some music and Ryan says he will get it for him. He parks Kirstens car on the street and has been meaning to move it.
    While he is getting in the car Volchek comes up and says he needs money to get out of town, because if he goes down, then Ryan goes down with him.
    He wants money. He calls marissa & tells marissa to ask ryan about the car they stole.
    Seth ends up telling his dad that it is his fault that the office caught fire.
    Graduation happens. Ryans mom gives him a truck.
    Marissa starts to tellher mom about her dads offer. Her mom already knows, as well as Kaitlyn.
    Marissa finds Ryan and decides to pawn off the pearl necklace her mom gave her for graduation to get money to give to Volcheck to that he will leave them alone.

Ryan, Marissa, Seth and Summer are all going to a party. Marissa has asked Ryan to drive her to the airport afterwards. Instad of going to a party, Marissa has another place for them all to go. An abandoned house (The one that Ryan burnt down in the beginning of the series) that has been rebuilt and abandoned. They swim, talk and all four have a great time.
    Then marissa says she needs to get changed and go.
    Volcheck is down the street with another girl waiting to finish what he and Ryan started.

He follows them (he is drunk). He gets up really close behind Ryans truck and starts bumping into him. Marissa realizes its Volcheck and starts screaming for him to stop.
    He ends up running Ryans truck off the road and down the enbankment where it flips a few times.

Ryan is able to get out. Marissa is knocked out.
    Ryan notices that their is a fire..and that gas is leaking.
    He hurries and gets Marissa out of the car and carries her near lifeless body away as the car explodes.
    He sets down and finally gets her to wake up some and tells her that he is going to run and get help. She tells him No, to stay with her.
    He says okay, but then she closes her eyes and stops breathing.

Seth and Summer walk into Summers room and there is a huge box. SHe says \"Oh a graduation present\" and he says Yes.
    She turns the box over to find out what is in it, and its a letter from RISD. THe college in RI that Seth applied for.
    He was accepted, but not in AUgust, His starts in January.
    They are happy and start kissing.
    The series goes off.

(I have heard that Misha Barton (marissa) has been wanting to get out and do some movies, so that is probably the reason for her being killed off)`
  • WOW! I'm still in TEARS!

WOW! What to say. WOW, if the VOl scenes were left out then this would have been an top ep! Perfect. You can tell Josh is putting everything into place for a S1 return to form. Now he's back at the forefront in writing. The Sandy PDA position, the Kandy sex! The death really will torment this shows best characters, JUlie, Ryan and Summer. I can't wait to see S4. My hopes for it have risen! I think it could be amazing! I think now it Josh backto his baby, it's all set to go. THe show will be dark, but in a S1 like way! Not in a S3 dark and depressing way. This eisode, even though was so pivotal, was a transition for the show. And for how good it could become in future!
  • I think this episode was a good one it was the best season finale ive ever seen on any show cant wait to watch the next season

I think the writers went to far killing off marissa but u never no she could be in coma we cant tell for sure untill season 5 either way i cant wait if she died or not its still good it was defitnely shocking to me i expected someone to leave the show but never that ending cant wait for season 5 going to watch all the seasons all over again this summer
  • ONE OF THE BEST EPISODES OF THE OC SO FAR!

the season finale was absolutlely fabulous. the song selection was great and i loved the story line. The ending however was bitter sweet. amongst all the happiness of graduation and college life the accident really cast a pall over their sunny expectations. But this sudden twist was what made this episode so great. In the end marissa dies and the ending was just amazing . great direction and songs which suit the occasion and blend really well with ongoings. Cant wait for season 4 to come out which will also be the last season! :( THE OC ROCKS! rm.
  • "The Graduates" completes the three season arc of wonderful episodes and great times. As the OC enters a new realm, fans find themselves asking one question: What next?

Hats off to the writers, producers, and actors of the OC. This show has been a milestone in my TV experience, and never before have I been so devoted to a show. "The Graduates" was an excellent episode, as Sandy, Kirsten, Seth, Ryan, Julie, Marissa, and Summer look back on the previous years and forward to the years to come. The episode has wonderful moments of nostalgia, particularly the revisit of the Model Home. The cliffhanger was unprecidented and, for the most part, a huge surprise.

Fans seem to be slip in half about the status of Marissa. Is she really dead? Many people claim that despite all the rumors about Mischa Barton ending her contract with the show, that she still remains part of the cast. However, apart from the rumors, there is very strong evidence that Mischa is now done with the show. Viewers watched and cried as Ryan held a dying Marissa in his hands as the picture faded last night.

There were some issues that were not resolved. The baby issue was never quite resolved as Theresa did not return. Anna had a sudden dissapearance back to Pittsburg, and many fans were baffled by this. And, will Volchock ever appear again?

The real question, however, is where does the show go from here. Obviously, most of this depends on whether Marissa really is dead or not. That have been rumors that now the show will focus on Marissa's sister, Kaitlin Cooper, and her friends. However, there is no evidence whatsoever to support this, and very few people actually believe this theory.

The likely theory, if Mischa is still with the OC, is that Marissa will be in a coma of some sort as the others start the school year. Caitlin will be cast as a season regular and Ryan will stay with the Cohens to watch over Marissa instead of going to Berkley. Summer and Seth will probably decide that they want to watch over Marissa, too, or at least not move away so they both attend Berkley. This way, the cast is not split up and far apart.

Anyway, this was a great episode, perhaps not as good as "The Dearly Beloved", but fans should not take this show for granted.
  • Um WTH??????

Um, what???? Marissa dies. This can't be true. The summary said that Sandy was supposed to have a heart attack and I was waiting for that moment the whole ep but it never did actually happen. Then having Marissa go - like seriously what's up with that? I know there is going to be a spin off of this show focussing on Kaitlin but is this the end of the O.C.? Is it really the end of Marissa? We have seen these types of things time and time again, perhaps she is just in a coma or unconscious but I really don't think she's gone. I sure hope not. What a brutal way to end the season.
  • Good lord. what have u done Josh ?

3.9
    The O.C. is probably one of the most popular shows among the teens in tv History,and yet Josh managed to complete destroy the show with that terrible ending, if u had a show named \\batman\\ for example and in the second season batman dies how the hell u will replace him? with hulk? every1 that whats the show knew it that somehow in the end Ryan would be with the only girl he really loved(the sweet and \\lost\\ Marissa)
    but now she is dead... Ok, we all heard she wanted to go away from the series and go to the movies thats fine but c\\mon, dont kill her, just tell us she will be fine after all of that and know she is moving to china or something like that and somehow on the last episode she would show up and tell ryan she loves him. For people like me that whats this show since day 1, the end of \\The Graduates\\ was the wrost thing that ever happened to this show since from it\\s start.

Now that the fantastic four is gone, the real o.c. is pretty much dead, i think it will be a new show from season.

I\\m not gonna lie, ive watched the 5 final minutes more then 10 times, and i stillcant believe what they did to Marissa i\\m trying to think if there is any chance she is not dead,but it seems impossible, this would have been an awesome ending if it was the show final episode, not the season finale, well the o.c. is pretty much going downhill now, since marissa took the spill,but i think all of us will always remember the best Show ever till the end of season 3.

Well i think that it(sorry for my english), thanks for the best \\\'teen\\\' show ever, i will just ignore that end and try to imagine that it was the last episode from the show, and star to create the possibilites about what could ryan do about her death, and summer.. R.I.P. Marissa.
  • This is by far one of the most tense episodes of certanly this series and probabally the whole show!

I like the episode as a whole and i especially like the fact that Sandy was not killed off as rumour suggested. There are very good ideas in this episodeand also very bad ones. i think that killing off Marissa is going to annoy lots of people, however i think that the show needed somthing big to happen to end this series and make it stand out and draw people back into the next series.

I am very glad that Sandy survives, would have stopped watching it if he had. I am upset at the end of Marissa but i will just about surbvive!!
< 1 2 3 4 5 6