The O.C.

The Graduates

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM May 18, 2006 on FOX

• If you cry during sad movies, you'll be crying by the end of this episode.

I am usually not one to be emotionally affected by TV shows, but there are a few season finales that have gotten to me. This was one of them. Since I already owned season 3 on DVD, I knew that it was Marissa who was going to die at the end of the episode. I just didn't know that it was going to affect me to the degree that it did. Everything started out as incredibly happy; our favorite four characters graduate from Harbor and are ready to embark on the next big thing: college. Marissa decides she's going to spend the summer with her father and the four celebrate. While all of this is going on, Volchok decides he still wants to see Marissa one last time and if he can't, he tells Marissa that he'll make life rather difficult for Ryan. After saying goodbye to Marissa, Ryan begins to drive her to the airport, but sees that someone is following them. They see that it's Volchok. He ends up running Ryan's car off the road and drives away. Ryan quickly gets out and then hurries to get Marissa out just before the car explodes. Holding her in his arms (much like when he did when she OD'd in Tijuana), she dies. Cue the song Hallelujah. At the same time, cue me breaking down into tears.

While this was a great season finale I think in a way it was the series finale. Season 4 was very good, but it wasn't the same without Marissa. I have watched this episode about four times now and every time I watch it, I cry. One of the best episodes, but at the same time definitely one of the saddest episodes.