The O.C.

The Safe Harbor

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Jan 12, 2006 on FOX

• This is how The O.C. should be.

Boy do I hate waiting for shows. The first episode of The O.C. season 3 aired September 8th, 2005. We could very well have 18 episodes of The O.C. by now, but of course, they have to drag it out, and put 3 week breaks here and there. It really bothers me.
    Anyways, The O.C. is back. Chrismukkah is over, and it is the last semester of high school for our favourite 4 rich angsty teenagers.
    I don't really know what I was expecting of this episode. Actually, I expected Katelyn to be back, but apparently that is next episode (THIS is why I don't watch commercials - they ruin everything).
    Anyways, back on track. 'The Safe Harbor' really impressed me. It had a good balance of humour and sentimentality, without being extreme or overly dramatic.
    Another thing I liked about this episode (and that I love about this show) is that the characters actually remember their past. Seth still embarrasses himself in front of Summer's dad, Sandy and Kirsten talked about when he used to be a public defender, Taylor still likes Seth, Seth is still made fun of by the "cool kids".
    At the same time, the characters are also growing. At one point in the episode, Ryan finds out from Summer that Marissa is having a "Johnny issue". Ryan responds "Of course she is." Ryan immediately begins to take off to go beat the snot out of him, which is pure typical Ryan. Summer stops him with the line "It's the way (Marissa) is wired. You wouldn't love her if she wasn't." and Ryan restrains himself. Thumbs up on the character development. Keep it coming.
    Another highlight of the episode, which really caught me off guard, was the character development on Johnny's part. He's been a whiny baby since the day we met him, but today he actually showed some backbone in his lie to Marissa. He lied to her to save her, and now everyone gets a happy ending (except for Johnny). Now it's only a matter of time until Marissa finds out.