The O.C.

The Shape of Things to Come

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Sep 15, 2005 on FOX

• What's going on? This all seems strangley familiar. It's like everyone got amnesia over the summer.

So the new season of The O.C. is just starting, and I have to say, I am not impressed. It's like the 2nd season never happened. All the wonderful character developments over the last two years with Ryan, Marissa, Julie, and Jimmy all seem to have vanished. Didn't Julie make her peace with Ryan last season? I really loved the arc that Jimmy went through in the first season. Now he’s been back in town for like a month, and he’s having money problems AGAIN? Didn’t he learn anything? Like "Don’t let Julie hog all your cash"? Didn't Julie become wiser last season? Now suddenly she's all nasty again? And can't Ryan and Marissa catch a break? Apparently we're supposed to believe that all the Harbor School parents would sign a petition because she shot a guy who almost raped her and almost killed Ryan, even though these same parents wouldn't have lifted a finger to help out Trey anyway. And now everything Ryan’s done is for nothing, since the new Dean is determined to get him and Marissa expelled. It's like somebody’s plotting against them. I hope that’s what’s really going on: Someone behind the scenes is plotting against our characters by sending a Dean who will get Ryan & Marissa expelled, stuck Kirsten with 7 of 9 so she'll relapse and leave the Cohens Momless, keeping Caleb's "79 Swiss bank accounts" in limbo, and spiking Julie's wine so she'll be all greedy while making Jimmy go bankrupt again. I mean, come on! We've been down these roads before. It's like the writers have no material. They're just recycling season 1. I'm going to swear off watching this show for a couple of weeks and give the writers a chance to watch the season 2 DVD again. Then maybe they’ll have something new for us.