The O.C.

The Undertow

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Mar 23, 2006 on FOX

• Marrisa feels alone.Jes returns and asks for ryans help.

This episode once again was back to the oc's best. I like sadie as a character and its good that she gets along with summer and seth. Marrisa being alone i think was a good storyline for this episode and with volchock lurking around her i actually thought was good to. the taylor thing was very funny along with the seth and summer thing.
    Once again i hope that it stays this way but i have some doubts.
  • O_o

Other than the final two episodes of the second season, there isn't an episode that ended the way that this one did; three sex scenes? Too much testosterone for the load to carry. After three seasons you'd think that Marissa and Ryan would change, but nope this episode, along with this entire season, just shows that they're as immature as ever. Ryan doesn't get that people need to deal with their own problems and Marissa is still falling for the wrong guys. After three seasons of not learning from their mistakes you just think of these two as complete idiots who will never change. In the end it was a good episode though just because of the invigorating energy and humour that was brought on when Taylor Townsend tries saving Seth and Summer's sex life.
  • the OC at its best

7.7
    this episode finally moves on the story and basically it's hilarious and it makes a quite nice episode.
    Volchok is still fallowing Marissa and he knows why. The end looks like that they even might have a future together, but the trouble is always around the corner. A thing both have in common. It will be interesting to see Julie's reaction on Volchok.

Sandy is facing the trouble at his company. Well I don't know what his decision will be, but either way it will destroy him or the company. I'm also asking myself if Kirsten might be back in business sooner than thought. I mean when Matt leaves Sandy will need someone more reliable than him and Kirsten can't do her dating thing while Julie is gone and she seems to be married soon, so she won't work anymore…

Taylor's work was so hilarious, embarrassing for Seth and Summer, very annoying for me, but she was successful! The last talk in this episode between Seth and Summer was so hilarious and sweet the same time. I really liked that! They are such a great couple and finally worked things out.

Ryan faces the truth about him and tries to move on too, but the ghosts of the past are still hunting him. Sadie really could bet he girl for Ryan. Don't get me wrong, but she's uncomplicated and both try to make their lives better. They really match each other for now. Although Summer is right that she's the complete opposite of Marissa, that could be a problem for Ryan.

I really enjoyed this episode all parts were nice and the Taylor, Seth and Summer storyline was so hilarious I almost fell of my couch laughing!
  • The OC. Episode 18

7.7
    Even though it is as clear as daylight that Jess is back in town in order to make troubles, Ryan can't help rescuing her from the umpteenth bad boyfriend.
    Kirsten was great when she tried to explain Ryan that a girl "who is not tied to some train tracks" doesn't represent exactly the worst thing ever.
    By the way, in the end, - surprise! - it looks like Ryan got this point. Well, that's a shocker.

Taylor helping Seth and Summer's sex issues was totally hilarious. Besides, Team "Sethummer" is always funny as well.
    Yep, tough time for Sandy. He has to choose between little hot shot Matt and his beloved hospital. Well, I think Matt is a good character, so I'm rooting for him.

It turns out Marissa's whiny days seem done. After dealing with loneliness, she ended up hooking up with Volchok. No more moping at the pier, Marissa's dark side days might get officially started.
    I can't wait to see Julie's reaction about her new son-in-law.
  • hey i reallly love taylor townsend now.... she is very funny... and at last...... marissa made out with kevin volchek.... wow.... im waiting for this for a long time... because i think volchek is HOT and sexy...

hey
    i reallly love taylor townsend now.... she is very funny...

and at last...... marissa made out with kevin volchek....
    wow.... im waiting for this for a long time...
    because i think volchek is HOT and sexy...
    hhaaa

anyway.... marissa is a boring character actually... i hope she dies... she didnt deserve for Ryan...

summer and seth... got sexual problem.. so taylor helps them out using kamasutra books... very funny...

and jessica... she wants Ryan... I dont know why...

at last u can seen 3 sexual scenes.... summer n seth... ryan n sadie... and marissa and volchek.... im the fan of volchek........!!!

vote for volchek...sexy eyes!!!!
  • Finally a good episode after so many weeks of crap!

I'm writing this review with a smile on my face, because one of my favourite shows is finally back on track. After last week I was seriously considering stop watching The O.C., this 3rd season was being marked by terribly boring episodes and I was getting tired of the same storylines... even my favourite characters were getting worst.

This episode has finally what the first season had. If last week we had a Ryan trying to figure out if he should or shouldn't invite Marissa to his birthday party (how lame is that as a center of an episode?), this episode we have a Sandy Cohem trying to figure out if a friend is more worth than a lifetime project.

We finally have an intervenient Kirten who in the last weeks was just plain boring.

We had some arrivals that spiced the episode a little.

And we had a great storyline between Seth and Summer.

But what really made this episode really cool was Taylor, she's bloody amazing and makes me always laugh. GET THIS: Hire her as a regular, she is amazing and one of the few things this show still has left good.

I also like Sadie and she should be Ryan's first real relation, and notice I say real.

The only down point was still Marissa, who I used to like but sinc eI reckon they figure they would... her in the end they just made us all hate her.
  • Jess returns to newport with a new lease on life. Was expecting a lot better.

5.6
    OK, with the return of a character from the Trey story I was expecting a way more explosive episode, this is difiatley a good example of how bad this season is so far. How could Sadie put up with Ryan running off to another girl 1000 times and even staying overnight at her house! Its just stupid. Why would Sandy get annoyed if Matt just let Marissa stay the night at his apartment with him not in it! Its not like he was there to start anything!!! The only things that kept this episode alive for me were Taylor and her sex therapy and well......the sex! ome on! We need the quality from the last two seasons!!!
  • Ryan and Marissa actually separate and he has a new girl and she a new guy. Summer and Seth have sex problems. And Ryan's brother is brought back in... a little bit.

Honestly you MUST watch this episode. If for no other reason than to get an explanation as to why Ryan and Marissa believe they cannot work out.

PLUS you get a very nice taste of Taylor. Though I doubt many can say they love her. She was very... unique in this episode and HIGHLY amusing. *look at quote "Spread the seed... Spread the seed.... Spread the seed..." Therefore definately one to watch and not skip.

(Only issue being Ryan and Marissa not being together *cry*, but it is made up by Seth and Summer's relationship being stable)
  • When an old friend returns to Newport, Ryan decides to help her, which causes problems for him and Sadie. When Summer and Seth run into another patch Taylor tries to help them out. Marissa must deal with being alone.

LOVED IT!
    I think Ryan and Sadie are a great couple, and I really liked that jess returned!I liked it when ryan had these flashbacks when he was punching the bag, and I don't like marissa but I feel sad for her she is completely alone except for Volchok, I really like him now, he's so cute!
    I liked the whole seth-summer line, it was just so funny!
    Well this episode is exactly why I watch this series!
  • An interesting episode, with a relly good song. The best, the end of the episode, everybody making love.

Exciting episode, with trouble, love, and sex! Everybody looks crazy at the end of the episode, The way that things turn over is unbelievable .

One of the best scene of the episode, of course, the New Marissa Cooper, this girl´s changed a lot in the last two years, and I really like how she looks like... pretty, smart, and a little bad, bad, girl.

About Coen and Summer, well, as always I guess, predictable, but something tell me that it couldn´t be for long time.

And at least, Ryan, puching everyone, as he used to do , but he´s getting in love with the girl on the show.
  • The steamiest OC episode to date... Seth/Summer, Ryan/Sadie, Marissa/Volchok and a very hilarious Taylor Townsend!

The previews for this episode were great- the steamiest OC yet and the return of a season 2 character- Jess Sathers.

The end scenes were yes, steamy- especially Marissa/Volchok. This new Marissa is great- her character is finally getting a change and it's good to have Volchok on the show. Ryan and Sadie are also making a good couple. Seth and Summer were great especially when Taylor tried to help them! The "Kama Sutra" stuff was simply funny! Even the Sandy/Kirsten/Matt subplot was good to watch.

With 7 episodes left, the rest of the season looks like a classic.

Episode Grade- A+!
  • Now that was something :D

Great epi!!! 3couples, my pick would be Volchuck :P Ryan is too boring for Marissa- I like her on 'the dark side' :) (M+V scene was the hottest) And finally some decent music! I have no idea what will happen next and that's great. Remember last series when we were predicting and betting? The OC is back :)
  • holla, at your boy

this is my third review in a row, which is good. another well put together episode. jess is soo hott in this episode. the seth and summer scenes were hillariouis with taylor helping them out. its all about sex in this episode with ryan and sadie, marissa and volchok, wow crazy. anyways really good episode and sandy telling matt off which is always good. next episode looks awsome. another 10
  • All the couples hookin up. Marissa and Volchok, Ryan and Sadie, and Seth and Summer.

Same old Ryan always saving some girl and ignoring the one is with. If I was Sadie I wouldn\'t have put up with that. Summer and seth have sex issues was funny. Taylor helping them was kind of crazy and a little weird. Marissa and Volchok hooking up was so totally obivious.
  • Fun all around

First of all I think Jess is so annoying, she is so needy of Ryan. Why was the ending of this episode so full of sex?. Even though Taylor was helping them with their sex life the part about Summer and Seth was funny and cute. But why did it take so long for Ryan and Sadie to get together?, and I would have never thought they would do it on the first date but I could for sure see Marissa doing it with Volchok. And why is it that I feel something is going to happen between Marissa and Matt?....Over all this was a fun episode.
  • Well, it was an episode for fun.

The Taylor, Seth & Summer storyline was hilarious, and enjoyable.

On the Sandy front- plot that pales in comparison to the other plots.

And the kick-
    Finally!
    Seth & Summer
    Ryan & Sadie
    Marissa & Volchok

I waited for the last two for quite a while, it was definitely coming. I liked how S&S were cute, S&R were gentle, and M&V were... well, it was pretty obvious it'd be like that.

• Jess returns to town and Ryan decides to help her it causing problems for him and Sadie. Summer and Seth seem to be losing spark and Taylor tries to help them out. Sandy has to deal with more problems with the Newport Group and Marissa must deal with bein

Why do all the people in The O.C. have this urge of being the nice guys ? How could any sane man go after such a girl again ? Has Ryan Atwood taken the responsibility of every damn stranger ? And how has Taylor a complete round about ? How could she even help let alone make Seth have sex with Summer ? And well the sex between Marissa and the surfer was long overdue. It was all so predictable. How can any girl forgive a guy like Ryan for what he did to her ? I was so disappointed with this episode that my questions don't seem to end.
  • WOW

WOW just about sums this up. This episode felt so much like S1, it was straneg yet amazing. I loved everything. Talyor was amazing! Great to see Sandy's plot prgress. Kiki, you're back to being a mother, where have you been! Seeing this episode has showen me how dull some parts of this season were. Lets hope they bring it on home! I ain't the type to write huge reviews so I'll just agree with hat my fellow reviewees have said. AMAZING! WOW!
  • This episode finally moves on the story and basically it’s hilarious and it makes a quite nice episode.

Volchok is still fallowing Marissa and he knows why. The end looks like that they even might have a future together, but the trouble is always around the corner. A thing both have in common. It will be interesting to see Julie’s reaction on Volchok.

Sandy is facing the trouble at his company. Well I don’t know what his decision will be, but either way it will destroy him or the company. I’m also asking myself if Kirsten might be back in business sooner than thought. I mean when Matt leaves Sandy will need someone more reliable than him and Kirsten can’t do her dating thing while Julie is gone and she seems to be married soon, so she won’t work anymore…

Taylor’s work was so hilarious, embarrassing for Seth and Summer, very annoying for me, but she was successful! The last talk in this episode between Seth and Summer was so hilarious and sweet the same time. I really liked that! They are such a great couple and finally worked things out.

Ryan faces the truth about him and tries to move on too, but the ghosts of the past are still hunting him. Sadie really could bet he girl for Ryan. Don’t get me wrong, but she’s uncomplicated and both try to make their lives better. They really match each other for now. Although Summer is right that she’s the complete opposite of Marissa, that could be a problem for Ryan.

• A great episode!!!

This episode was great with Jess in a bikini, Sadie and Marissa half naked and Summer completly naked under the covers.

It also had great drama with Ryan not talking to his brother and Seth and Summer having sex problems. Also Marissa falling for the bad boy kind of like when she fell for Ryan when he was always beating people up.
  • a bunch of stuff happened and some people got naked and did it.

im only posting this cuz they wouldnt let me write trivia for this episode. but there is a goof in it. when sandys yelling at matt for having marissa stay over he says something along the lines of having a pajama party with 17 year old girls or something. well hes right. except that marissa is 18 not 17. as you may recall in the second episode of season one (the model home on 8/12/03)marissa is of age to drive a car meaning shes at least 16. two years later (August 12 or later) she would be 18. this is of course all assuming she was driving with a lisence for the first 8 months of the show.
    And another thing. now that we know that Ryans birthday is some time in march. which would also mean that Ryan couldnt have driven a car for the first 20 episodes of season 1 without being 16. but i do know for sure that Ryan did drive to Chino in my favorite episode (11) The Homecoming. This show definately has some flaws. but it really doesnt mess up the show.
  • This was a great episode, with a ton happening- Jess, Sadie, Volchok, Summer/Seth/Taylor. The O.C. is officialy back to its former AWESOME self, as it and the last 4 or 5 episodes have proved.

GREAT EPISODE!
    The writers seem to be listening to message board posters\' complaints. They acknowledged the Trey situation again, and actually gave another side to Jess\'s character. I liked how they compare Marissa and Jess, they\'re really not that different in Ryan\'s eyes- he just needs someone to save, like Kirsten said. Taylor was hilarious, especially w/ her, \"Spread the seed, spread the seed, spread the seed...\". Seth and Summer were funny, as well. Plus the very last montage scene was H-O-T.

If you\'re a former viewer that just couldn\'t take it anymore this season, now\'s a great time to jump back on the O.C. wagon. I don\'t want to sound cheesy or corny, but this is The O.C.\'s \"Return to Glory\" (that motto was used on the University of Notre Dame T-shirt a few years back).
  • Pretty classic O.C.-and looks like its gettting better...

Things I learned from this Episode:
    1. Ryan says "I'll be right there," at least once every ep (this ep we were luck enough to hear it twice)
    2. Marissa only hangs out at that lifeguard hut on the beach and at the club (the name of which I can't remember right now)

Seth was on tonight! He was hilarious- the seth/summer scenes and the seth/summer/taylor scenes were better than ever.
    Seriously this was a pretty good episode. Ryan is too nice and always has to come to the rescue. While it is overdone you actually felt bad for him because he's trying to start something with Sadie but can't.
    Marissa and Volchok...hmm.
    The previews for next week looked CRAZY. It looks like the O.C. is back and as good as when it started...