The Odd Couple Forums

ABC (ended 1975)

re: the best ever

billsav57

[1]Dec 2, 2005
    • level: 3
    I just mentioned on another site that I thought the "Password" episode was the best of the series. I would follow that with the first Howard Cosell appearance, with the first Monty Hall appearance another possibility. I also liked the ones with Marilyn Horne and Richard Fredericks.
    Having said all that, I am not one of those who thinks all the best shows were after they switched from trying to emulate the movie ... some of those first-year shows are pretty good too.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ymike673

[2]Dec 9, 2005
    • level: 11
    "The Flying Felix" was the best Odd Couple episode of all time. "Password" would rate in the top 5. Other great episodes include "A Grave For Felix" ,"The Jury Show" and "The Break Up" There were really alot of great episodes durring the shows five year run.

billsav57

[3]Dec 19, 2005
    Without going through the entire list, the ones that quickly come to mind are the Password episode, both episodes with Howard Cosell (but the first was the better of the two), the one with Richard Fredericks, the one where Felix goes to court to keep Playboy from publishing the photos of Gloria, the one where both have operations and Oscar tosses Felix out, and from the early days, the one where Felix boxes the hockey player.
    I'm sure I could add to this if I went down the list.

smg1062

[4]Dec 20, 2005
    • level: 1
    "The Odd Monks" has to be right up there!!!!

Some classic lines:

"Eat the dice! Eat the dice....I cant, Im diabetic"

"Why dont you bake your stomach?"

"The gambler here and the fink there, and remember, NO TALKING"

"Its a tie ballgame"

billsav57

[5]Dec 22, 2005
    Yeah, that's a good one, too. Another one I forgot about was the one where Oscar types on Leonard's frog ...

ymike673

[6]Dec 30, 2005
    • level: 11
    Another great episode was when Oscar was arrested for ticket scalping and Felix defended him in court.

billsav57

[7]Jan 11, 2006
    That's the ASSUME show, right?
    All those courtroom shows, although sort of formulaic, were good. Tony Randall, of course, had a later series in which he played a judge. That wasn't so hot, and it was on CBS, which probably had less tolerance for below average ratings than ABC did at the time.
    That show also featured Barney Martin, who later played Jerry Seinfeld's father.

theotherlondon

[8]Jul 23, 2007
    • level: 1
    I seem to like all of the first year ones the show was really good then yes It was shot at the same place as the movie was. The later ones when they played each others father was just kind of dumb. Like most shows the kids were played by different people

drwoowoocl

[9]Aug 24, 2007
    • level: 10
    Its hard to pick just one, so Ill name what I think are my top 5: "Its All Over Now, Baby Bird", which was from the first season, "The Odd Monks", which I liked because it was dealing with issues few sitcoms rarely do, "The Flying Felix", which features a great cameo from a young Terri Garr, "Hospital Mates", which was an early season 2 episode, and of course, "Password". Having recently gotten the season 1 DVD, Ive had another chance to see those shows, and some of them are very funny. By the the middle of the season, it seemed to have distanced itself from the play and movie and found its own style.