A The Office (UK) Community
BBC Two (ended 2003)

THE OFFICE IS OPEN AGAIN

... The U.K. version of The Office is getting a follow-up movie. Well, the original Michael Scott, a.k.a. Ricky Gervais's David Brent, is getting a follow-up movie. Life on the Road will reconnect with Brent 15 years after he was fired from the paper company Wernham Hogg, as he's pursuing a music career while working as a traveling salesman. No premiere date has been set; same goes for plans to air the film Stateside. [RadioTimes

BUSINESS TIME

... CBS wants its summer disappointment Extant to hurry up and end its mission. After shifting the sci-fi series from 9pm to 10pm due to sluggish ratings, the network will air Extant's Season 1 (and series?) finale one week earlier than previously scheduled, which will keep it out of premiere week in late September. To make that happen, CBS will unload a double dose of Extant on August 20 from 9pm to 11pm, and the finale will air on September 17 instead of September 24. [CBS via press release]

... Hey, glad you could make it. Listen, why don't you sit down? Yeah, right there is good. I've gathered all your friends because we have to tell you something. LMN has revived the docu-series Intervention for a 14th season. The network has ordered 15 episodes of the long-running series, which aired for 13 seasons on A&E before it was canceled last year. And also, stop huffing glue. [LMN via press release]

... TV Land has renewed The Soul Man for a fourth season. The comedy stars Cedric the Entertainer as an R&B superstar turned minister, and Niecy Nash as his wife. It's somehow a spin-off of Hot in Cleveland. [TV Land via press release]

... Syfy is adapting the Hugo-nominated book Old Man's War, with Wolfgang Petersen (The Neverending Story) on board to oversee production. The project, which has been retitled The Ghost Brigade, follows a 75-year-old man who enlists in a sorta space army that helps humans expand into the universe. But don't worry about the guy breaking a hip or filling his Depends during combat; technology allows old folks' experience and intellect to be transplanted into younger bodies to fight. [Syfy via press release]

... You can still get your uniboob problem fixed at E!'s expense. The network has renewed its plastic-surgery-disaster reality series Botched for a second season. Should you be unfamiliar with Botched, the show is about people who've had terrible plastic surgery and are trying to fix it. [E! via press release]

CASTING ROUNDUP

... Natalie Zea, a.k.a. my girlfriend, will star in ABC's upcoming country-club drama Members Only, which follows the rich who frolic at the club and the working-class who toil there. She'll play one of the rich kids whose family founded the establishment. [Deadline]

... Finally, some Sons of Anarchy casting news we can be proud of! Mathew St. Patrick, who played Keith on HBO's depressing and beautiful Six Feet Under, is joining the FX biker drama for its final season as the head of a security team who probably acts real tough and does mean things. St. Patrick will first arrive in Episode 7, and he'll stick around for a handful of episodes; he joins Lea Michele, Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson on SOA's Season 7 guest-star roster. [TV Line]

... Spike TV has found its King Tut, and he's one Twisted dude! How is THAT for a hook in this blurb? Not that good, eh? Fine. Twisted's Avan Jogia will play the Egyptian king in the network's Tut miniseries. He'll star alongside Ben Kingsley, who will play Tut's chief advisor. 

... Downton Abbey's Hugh Bonneville will guest-star on ABC's upcoming musical fantasy drama Galavant. He'll play a character named Peter the Pillager, a Pirate King who meets up with main character John Q. Galavant (I made that last bit up). [TV Line]

... David Spade will guest-star on the upcoming season of The Goldbergs as a dude who makes fake IDs for teenagers. This is perfect casting, so there's nothing else to say. [EW]

RECENT STORIES YOU MAY HAVE MISSED ON TV.COM

... Hey! OMG Price's Teen Wolf photo recap is up and it's AMAZING. 

... Hey! OMG Tim's Under the Dome photo-ish recap is up and it's okay. 

... The big question of who will replace Craig Ferguson in CBS's late-night has been answered, possibly! It will be [CLICK TO FIND OUT]

... The latest True Detective casting rumor is pretty great. Mad Men's Elisabeth Moss is "circling" (as the industry says) the lead female role. 

... The whole Big Bang Theory cast is officially ready to get back to work. Finally!

... Hej! NBC has renewed Welcome to Sweden for Season 2.

... Nickelodeon is turning the Jack Black movie School of Rock into a TV show.

... Arrow has found its Manhunter.

... Kaitlin makes a strong case for checking out ABC Family's Chasing Life.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 11/4/2002

Season 2 : Episode 6

26 Comments
Comments (26)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The U.K. version of The Office is getting a follow-up movie.

Makes sense. Gervais is a no talent bum whose Drek was an insult to anyone with a brain. Figures he's convinced some moron in the head office to give him a movie. Bet - morons will pay money to see it.

The whole Big Bang Theory cast is officially ready to get back to work. Finally!

Who gives a ****?
Flag
I like Extant, better than most that have been on!!!!
And thank god the big bang cast is counting their moolah! Highly overrated!
Flag
Makes sense for a David Brent movie to finally be made. Always seemed like something Gervais would do.
Flag
Wolfgang Petersen of The Neverending Story, really? You haven't heard of Das Boot?
Flag
A follow up to The Office where Michael is a traveling salesman who moonlights as a musician. Count me out.
Flag
Fantastic news about Old man's war, it's a great book. Can't wait to compare it to FX's adaptation of Redshirt, also from Scalzi and also great.
Syfy sure has an interesting-looking development slate (which now includes actual sci-fi!), I hope they pull these projects off.
Flag
Speaking of Twisted, why has there not been any news on it's fate??? ABC Family should at least inform the few fans it has that it is cancelled

I personally loved the show
Flag
Does that mean Twisted is definitely cancelled?
Flag
Absolutely ridiculous, I thought Ricky Gervais was better than that. He's the one who goes on about not doing more than 12 episodes and a special for the Office and Extras. He is welcome to prove me wrong, but these comedy shows of 28 minutes do not fit a full 90+ movie.
Flag
Love Six Feet Under and really happy for mathew. Now they should try to get a reunion going on Parenthood.
Flag
Kinda sad that we have to inform audiences that David Brent is "the original Michael Scott", but I'm very excited about that movie anyhow.
Flag
I've heard of The Office, but didn't know who David Brent was. Is referring to a character that's been off the air for a decade as "the original Michael Scott" any worse than mentioning Wolfgang Petersen in relation to The Neverending Story rather than Das Boat? I doubt it, and neither reference is that big a deal.
Flag
I'm not saying that Tim's wrong to do it, I'm lamenting the fact that it needs to be done. The David Brent character was phenomenal right off the bat.
Flag
Really wasn't phenomenal, David Brent is a one-dimensional twat of a character with nothing redeeming or enjoyable beyond cringe comedy, everything good about the character is what's inside Ricky Gervais.
Flag
Well, it's just me, then.
Flag
TV.com = American website. The Office = also a popular sitcom in America. Seeing a theme? It's BALD EAGLES AND APPLE PIE AND BASEBALL, MOTHERFU--
Flag
'MURICA, yes I get it. Also, see my reply to vicbjones' comment because I can't be arsed to copy/paste.
Flag
Downton Abbey/Sherlock/Doctor Who = British TV Shows
Tv.com review these shows and know certain actors from them so the least they can do is not label David Brent as The Original Michael Scott when Michael Scott definitely came into his own after a very mediocre (& carbon copy) first season.
David Brent is one of the most popular British comedy characters so i find it insulting that Tim would label his as an original counterpart.
Flag
Sherlock is co-produced by American PBS - public television. All 3 series air here in the US, Sherlock and Downton Abbey on PBS, Doctor Who on both PBS and BBC America. You don't see TV.com reviewing The IT Crowd or other series which don't also air here in the US.

David Brent had 12 episodes over a decade ago in the UK, Michael Scott had 150 in the US (the last regular episode of which was only 3 years ago), which is going to be better-known in the country of origin for this article? And David Brent is a shallowly-written simple character, while Michael Scott actually developed into a more rounded one.
Flag
Don't get me wrong, im all for the office us and michael scott. i just think it's insulting for us brits to hear stuff like that. i bet you yanks would take offence if it was about an original character that was remade in the uk. and btw it was technically 14 episodes if you count the 2 xmas specials.

Flag
I prefer the US version but even I am annoyed about Tim saying "the original Michael Scott"
Flag
Extant seems to be a show that requires patience to watch the mysteries unfold. As it is, it is kind of slow and the characters have yet to grab you, or even be likeable. Goran Visnjic is, for me, the one stand-out. You also have two child plotlines going on and I wonder if they should have stuck with one over the other. They are trying to have their robot and alien(?) too. Otherwise, it looks good, is well acted, and somewhat interesting enough to hold my attention for now.
Flag
I better hurry up and read Old Man's War so i can be disappointed by the Syfy adaptation.
Flag
So in other words - Extant is essentially cancelled? Bummer. I liked this show :(
Flag
Follow this Show
Members