The Office (UK) Forums

BBC Two (ended 2003)

british vs american

insane_beaver

[61]Dec 27, 2006
    • level: 18

vstherevolution wrote:

...with your bulls**t prejudiced attitude and almighty period. 

that's the word i was looking for.
    prejudgement.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TimWidhalm

[62]Jan 1, 2007
    • level: 10

You asked this question on the britsh forum, I wonder what most people are going to say, You guys had a total of 14 episodes and so far we have a total of 39 and so almost 2/3 of the stuff is our idea's not yours and our show is doing better than yours ever did and if you haven't noticed Ricky Gervais is one of the producers of the american one so I think he knows how to pick people.

Xeroph

[63]Jan 5, 2007
    • level: 4
    How anyone can think that the American version is better is beyond my conception.

tintub77

[64]Jan 9, 2007
    • level: 1
    As an English guy and a lover of English comedy from Alan Partridge to Nighty Night, I have to say that I still prefer the US version.  The first few episodes were terrible, but once they began doing their own thing and not making it a straight copy of the UK show, it's superb.  Gareth was absolutely great, but Dwight is better.  David Brent was great, but Steve Carell is so much better than Ricky Gervais.  Gervais may have the great idea, but Carell brings it off better - it's not an insult, look at Tarantino's terrible acting in any of his movies that he's starred in.

If you say you prefer the British version, you should say whether or not you have seen more than the first few episodes of the US Office, otherwise you can't really make the call.

chopsMK

[65]Jan 9, 2007
    • level: 5

I enjoy the two different versions of the show and have no problem seperating the two. The British version definitely holds much closer to the "mockumentary" style while the American version has veered more towards being a sitcom. That being said, the scenarios that have popped up on the show are still more realistic than what you see on most sitcoms.  The British version has much more of those painfully akward moments than the U.S version. I like the Tim-Dawn relationship. I like that they don't beat you over the head with it. I also enjoy the Pam-Jim relationship but I feel that at times they focus too much on that.

It seems like the biggest debate between fans of the two shows has to do with the bosses for the two shows. Ricky Gervais' work as David Brent is great. I especially loved the stuff from the Christmas special where he was making appearance at different bars as David Brent from "The Office." The bit from the first season when he brought in his guitar was also really funny.  The big difference that I see behind him and Steve Carell's character Michael Scott is that although he is an idiot and has his faults, they show that he was a good salesman. They show you how he could have possibly ended up a manager.

Beyond both of these shows being called "The Office" and both taking place in an office building for a paper company they don't have much in common. If you accept that are different shows by different people with different ideas it is a lot easier to see them as seperate entities and enjoy each for what they are. Well written and often enjoyable shows.

Stevio

[66]Jan 18, 2007
    • level: 8
    Xeroph wrote:
    How anyone can think that the American version is better is beyond my conception.

Yeah well they do so get over it.

pifko

[67]Jan 20, 2007
    • level: 1
    Xeroph wrote:

I don't know, they must prefer broad, dumbed-down comedy. lol

hawkman71

[68]Jan 24, 2007
    I'm Canadian and saw the original British Version first on BBC Canada and later when I heard about the US version being made I was prepared to hate it...but you know what?  I actually prefer it.  Both are brilliant, it's just the American version has had more time to flesh out it's characters more and introduce others as well.  It is a rarity when the US version of a British show is better, but I think it's happened here, albeit barely.  Both are excellent shows and can both be appreciated as such.

It is possible to like both, but the people who dismiss the American version out of hand do that show a great disservice.  They also are assuming like it's an 'Us Vs. Them' type thing when they obviously fail to see to see who the executive producers are of the US version.

Stevio

[69]Jan 24, 2007
    • level: 8
    Now that I've seen all the british ones I have to say that the american version is slightly better. The british version relies to much on filthy humour. Don't get me wrong it is hilarious but the american version is smarter and more polished. Ricky Gervais is overrated. I've listened to all his podcasts and they started out funny but now he's run out of material and they are quite lame. I suspect that's what happened with his show, he ran out of material. Having said that my most rewound and rewatched scene of either version is on the british version when Gareth sits down at his desk and starts humming that Muppets tune. Too funny.

bfortuna1983

[70]Jan 26, 2007
    The US version has improved alot since the start, but it's no contest really - UK!

M4TTK

[71]Feb 6, 2007
    The original is miles better.

But the US Office has its merits too, especially during seasons two and three. It's getting a bit silly now though. Too surreal at times. The mockumentary has became only a style of filming, and isn't really a style of content anymore.

speedy-Y-jive-O

[72]Feb 26, 2007
    • level: 9
    I thought being British i'd "get " this version more. The US version , though, has been given more room to grow, and expand on it's themes, making it the superior product in this crowded market place.

broox89

[73]Feb 27, 2007
    The US version wins for me. The characters are more developed and have more sides to their personalities then the UK version (this can be argued). Also, the UK version hardly makes me laugh, although it is funnier (if that makes sense). None of the season one episodes of the UK version have really hit it off with me at all, though.  The UK version is more about getting humor out of humiliation and failure then the US one (although this can be debated too).  And because there are more episodes, I never get bored with watching reruns and always have something to look forward to on Thursdays.

I know the UK fans will slaughter this post, but really, just because they speak with accents doesn't mean that they have smarter humor.

bballmegan22

[74]Feb 27, 2007
    • level: 30

I have to disagree with the majority of you and I think the American version is way better.

But, I also believe you have to devolop the characters and they have to devolop their own personalities and you get to know the character. I give props to Ricky Gervais, but Steve Carell man, he is just great. And I think Rainn Wilson plays the best "Dwight Schrute" (i believe it is Gus on the British version). His dorkiness and own sense of humor he puts into the show just makes it.

bballmegan22

[75]Feb 27, 2007
    • level: 30
    bballmegan22 wrote:

I have to disagree with the majority of you and I think the American version is way better.

But, I also believe you have to devolop the characters and they have to devolop their own personalities and you get to know the character. I give props to Ricky Gervais, but Steve Carell man, he is just great. And I think Rainn Wilson plays the best "Dwight Schrute" (i believe it is Gus on the British version). His dorkiness and own sense of humor he puts into the show just makes it.

Sorry i mean Gareth not Gus.

shashi_

[76]Mar 2, 2007
        Being British myself..
    I'll have to pick the british version!
    Over here in the Uk, I don't know of many of the original fans liking the US version, and it's only shown on a smaller channel. (ITV2/3)
    Steve carell is really funny though.
    But no Ricky.

tooltime

[77]Mar 5, 2007
    • level: 12

broox89 wrote:
    Also, the UK version hardly makes me laugh, although it is funnier (if that makes sense).

No it doesn't, and this post is a load of rubbish.

UK version is miles better.

tooltime

[78]Mar 5, 2007

Xeroph wrote:

Amen!

tooltime

[79]Mar 5, 2007

tintub77 wrote:
    David Brent was great, but Steve Carell is so much better than Ricky Gervais. 

That is disgraceful. Honestly, that is a disgrace.

M4TTK

[80]Mar 5, 2007
    stop being a soopafan tooltime