The Office (UK) Forums

BBC Two (ended 2003)

british vs american

tooltime

[81]Mar 7, 2007
    • level: 12

M4TTK wrote:
    stop being a soopafan tooltime

I can't believe the US version is ranked 9.2, the same as the UK version. Disgraceful!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sophistiquated

[82]Mar 17, 2007
    • level: 11
    Don't judge the U.S. one by the first season... during seasons 2 and 3 it became it's own show. Now it's not even really similar to this show anymore, it's not even a remake because the characters are so different.

Also, Ricky Gervais and Steven Merchant produce the U.S. version and wrote an episode.
    Edited on 03/17/2007 5:45pm

Anamanaman

[83]Mar 26, 2007
    • level: 3
    Yeah, they're both great. The UK one is the best quality wise, but overall US version is better because there's more. They didn't stop short like the UK show. It's tough to keep coming up with new material, and for season 2 and 3 to be consistantly funny (minus a few stupid episodes now and then), I gotta give them the crown.

insane_beaver

[84]Apr 8, 2007
    • level: 18

Anamanaman wrote:
    Yeah, they're both great. The UK one is the best quality wise, but overall US version is better because there's more. They didn't stop short like the UK show. It's tough to keep coming up with new material, and for season 2 and 3 to be consistantly funny (minus a few stupid episodes now and then), I gotta give them the crown.

Yes, thank you.

However, I still think the discussion is kinda dumb..
    since, I already said, some have watched only a few episodes of their opposite..-
    and can't make an actual critic..
    I'm pretty sure you'd change your mind..
    please, stop the prejudges.. both series are awesome.

M4TTK

[85]May 8, 2007
    • level: 4
    insane_beaver wrote:

Anamanaman wrote:

Yes, thank you.

Well exactly no. I Don't see how the simple fact that there are more episodes of the American one makes it better or more worthy in any way...

The fact there are more episodes, and is therefore harder to sustain a certain level of quality is certainly true, but is in no way an excuse, and a way of amplifying any good points. "Less is more" is a saying that perfectly applies when it comes to the Offices. I have seen the whole US version, and at first it was terrible, then became very good at the back end of season one and during season season. Now it has gone back to being below average... It is just another sitcom.

On the other hand every time I watch the original again, I am lost for words as I always seem to forget there is only one word for it: brilliant.

Edited on 05/08/2007 6:53pm

drzeusmonkey

[86]May 9, 2007
    ive been getting into the american one recently but i really dont get the same satisfaction as watching the british one =D

ersomn

[87]Jun 3, 2007
    • level: 2
    I may be the odd one out but US is better.

Legolas22

[88]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 5
    The UK one is hands down better than the US one. For a start this is where it all began and as someone has said the US one has become a sitcom type program, where as the UK one was done like a documentary(mocumentary). The US one is funny but no one can beat Ricky Gervais. Steve Carell is a total comedy god though.

wolfie_2692

[89]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 9

It is VERY hard for me to pick as they are both greta shows however I would have to say I enjoy the American version more but admire the U.K series for what it has given us. As the American series does have more episodes it makes it easier to say which is better.

I do think the replay value of the U.S version is also better than the U.K version however I can still remember watching the U.K one for the first time through and that was hillarious...

SofaKingLOST

[90]Jan 26, 2008
    • level: 10
    I've seen all the Brit eps and I have one word for it: overrated. The American version is funnier and it has a higher rating by .1 so suck it b******

PfQuitetheGuy

[91]Feb 9, 2008
    I love both, but I prefer the American version. Depth of character is very important to me in a show and the Us version nails it. After watching both, the only thing the American version is missing is the boss David Brent. Steve Carrell is histarical, but his personality is totally different from Brent. Hopefully, Brent will make a guest appearance later on.

scottiej141

[92]Feb 29, 2008
    • level: 2

There is no contest in this debate. The British is by far the superioer than it's American counterpart. The American version has a few small laughs during an episode but it just doesn't have the cringe factor that the British version has. We also don't need to have the in depth detail of the characters that some people have been saying, which, according to them, makes the American version better. Like many have said before me, it is not meant to be a sitcom. It's meant to be a 'mockumentary'. All we want to know and see is their everyday life in the office.

Also, was there any need to create the American version? Why couldn't they accept the British one for what it was? Would the British re-create Friends, Frasier or Scrubs?

Steph__x

[93]Mar 1, 2008
    • level: 25
    British, hands down and no contest!

count-chocula

[94]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 47
    No way! The US version is loads better!

ozziefan

[95]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 30
    The US one has grown on me. I guess I was just put off by how the US pilot was nearly identical.

The US Office is up there as one of the best American Comedies, but the UK is Perfection, and remake will never quite reach its standard

M4TTK

[96]Mar 21, 2008
    US version got very good within season 2. Now it has wondered back into being absurd at times.

The thing is about the US version... it is no longer really a mocumentary anymore. It's just a sitcom now being filmed in a weird way. So of course some people are going to prefer it because they can get their fix every couple of weeks.

UK version was meant as a stand alone project a bit like Spinal Tap was if you will. Which is why the UK version owns all.

kieran3486

[97]Jun 17, 2008
    • level: 11
    Its hard to compare them in a way because as M4TTK says, the US Office is more like a Sitcom really, it isn't unique in the same way that the UK one was. But thats also why the UK one is superior: It's original.

sinthetikmistik

[98]Jun 24, 2008
    • level: 1
    it seems like most people prefer the British. i certainly don't. not in a million years to be honest. i don't think they are close.... i think the American version is not a little better... but so much better that they need not even be compared. i tried to watch the British Office about 8 times... never was able to stand more than 10 minutes of it. i found it severly boring and unfunny. now i can watch the American Office nonstop for weeks on end and only want more. i'm not sure how so many people think that anyone could outperform the comedic genius of Steve Carell and Rainne Wilson... certainly not the cast of the British Office.

DaveMelon

[99]Jul 21, 2008
    ^ That says more about you than the quality of both shows.

JBrick2334

[100]Sep 7, 2008
    • level: 12
    I have to go with the American version, why?? because everything is better in America