The Office (UK) Forums

BBC Two (ended 2003)

british vs american

PhantomMarcher

[101]Sep 9, 2008
    • level: 1

^ Brick, I'm insulted by that and I'm American.

You can't really compare the two shows. While they're based on the same premise, they're too radically different to judge them acurately. I love them both (and have seen all of both of them). But they are for two very different cultures. The British humour and the American humor are two very different things. Yes, there are people that like them both, but each show caters to each country. Besides, they are basically two different shows now. Clearly The Office US is not going to end the way the UK one ended. The US show has become a completely different show, like people before me have said, the way the story line developed was different, the way the US is more of a sitcom and the UK is clearly a mockumentary. I say, Ricky Gervais is the best for creating two wonderful shows. Also, some of the scenes in the British show would not be allowed on American television. I'm thinking specifically of a large... body part.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MegPierce

[102]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 7
    I'm american but I think the British version is far superior. But then again I've always been a fan of British comedies. When I was 12 or so I used to watch The Young Ones with my older brother. So at a young age I connected with British comedy and I suppose that stuck with me because I rarely think Americans are funny.

fred_thd

[103]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 5
    the american version does have its moments occasionally, but in the later series - from what I've seen anyways . But the UK version simply runs rings around the American one.

thefanof

[104]Nov 3, 2008
    • level: 102
    The American version is not The Office, it's simply a sitcom that happens to take place in an office. There's no comparison between the two.

David > Michael
    Tim > Jim
    Dawn > Pam

The only one you could make a case for is Dwight being better than Gareth, but that would require you to discard him in Season 4 and 5 where he's been awful.

DaveMelon

[105]Dec 16, 2009
    • level: 3

UK Office is a work of genius and art.

US Office is a fun sitcom.

To me that's the debate settled. I respect people's choice of prefering the US version but it would really make me question their sensitivity.

Edited on 12/16/2009 9:21am
    Edited 2 total times.

lintball13

[106]Jan 11, 2010
    • level: 10
    I disagree with the people calling the US Office a sitcom because its still filmed in a mockumentary format. Someone had said that "nobody's better than Ricky Gervais at playing the boss from hell", which is true. I've seen him, and he's a great actor. But what the US version does is make you love every character, even if they have faults. The boss in the US version has a lot of faults and is generally disliked by his coworkers, but he's lovable because we can see that he's genuinely trying to be nice and make friends. What I also like about the US Office is Jim and Pam's plain-people attractiveness. They are great at playing the part of ordinary people that just happened to find true love at their office. Dawn Tinsely from the UK version looks too...supermodel-ish, and that just throws me off.

Doggo1988

[107]Feb 10, 2010
    • level: 8
    Dawn Tinsley super modelish? Was that meant to be a joke?

ur_mom001

[108]Apr 7, 2010
    • level: 1

ive nvr seen the uk version, so idk wut version is funnier but i do like ricky gervais

heytiger93

[109]Sep 28, 2010
    • level: 9
    I'm Australian so my opinion is completely unbias. I agree with people who say you can't compare them. They both have a completely different feel to them and i have to give kudos to the americans for not destroying an excellent show because i do find the american version very, very funny, however i just think Ricky Gervais makes the show what it is, he is a comic genuis, he can just stand there, doesn't need to say anything and he'll have an audience in stitches. So yeah i'm gonna give my vote to the brits David Brent wins hands down over Michael Scott. haha however i do love, i can't remember what episode it is, when Michael is pretending to kill himself by jumping off the roof of the office and he is explaining to everyone that depression kills and dwight says something like isn't depression just a fancy word for 'bummed out' and michael calls Dwight an ignorant slut ahahahahaa.