The Office (UK) Forums

BBC Two (ended 2003)

Why is this version so short

Boogee

[1]Apr 18, 2006
    • level: 1
    how come this version of the office only has 13 episodes was it canceled or was all the conflict really just resolved that quickly?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ozziefan

[2]Apr 19, 2006
    • level: 30
    No it wasn't cancelled. They just felt it was the right time to end.

PuppetFranklin

[3]Apr 19, 2006
    British television series often have short episode runs. I am a huge fan of this idea as it allows a show to give more time to writing and packing in as much content (story, humor etc.) rather than focusing on creating an exhaustive 20 episode season.

As American television goes, my favorite shows are Newsradio, Arrested Development and Futurama. Though these shows were cancelled early on, I think this worked in their favor as they began and ended soon enough to not become exhaustive. I think The Simpsons, Seinfeld and The X-Files are amazing shows as well but could have benefitted by ending a few seasons early, and in the simpsons case around season 12.

Proteus-x

[4]Apr 21, 2006
    • level: 7
    Its just the case of quality of quantitiy.

TimWidhalm

[5]Jan 1, 2007
    • level: 10
    The real reason was that Ricky Gervais said to himself, "British people suck so I am going to take my idea over to the great United States where I'm not worthy but I hope they will allow me to help them produce the show and so they it have greater success than it ever did in crappy old England", and thats what happened.

pifko

[6]Jan 20, 2007
    TimWidhalm wrote:
    The real reason was that Ricky Gervais said to himself, "British people suck so I am going to take my idea over to the great United States where I'm not worthy but I hope they will allow me to help them produce the show and so they it have greater success than it ever did in crappy old England", and thats what happened.

Wait...yes, I can actually see faeces coming out of your mouth!!

jacksback21

[7]Jan 20, 2007
    • level: 28
    Ignore him. Who cares what some retarded american thinks.

kieran3486

[8]Feb 3, 2007
    • level: 11
    They ended it when they did to stop it becoming stale, too many shows these days are dragged on for too long because the producers are mainly interested in the money the show makes rather than making quality television. As a result shows fade away in obscurity. So I'm glad they ended The Office when they did. It meant they could move on to other things like Extra's and the podcast. (Ignore that guy, he's probably never even been to england. I'd be surprised if he's even left america).

M4TTK

[9]Feb 6, 2007
    • level: 4
    They weren't even going to make the Christmas specials at first. Glad they eventually did though.

TimWidhalm

[10]Feb 13, 2007

kieran3486 wrote:
    They ended it when they did to stop it becoming stale, too many shows these days are dragged on for too long because the producers are mainly interested in the money the show makes rather than making quality television. As a result shows fade away in obscurity. So I'm glad they ended The Office when they did. It meant they could move on to other things like Extra's and the podcast. (Ignore that guy, he's probably never even been to england. I'd be surprised if he's even left america).

I have been to Canada and Mexico and now I know you British people are stupid but I think those 2 places qualify and leaving America, wouldn't you agree. and isn't Ricky Gervais living in the US now and I know he was just at the Golden Globes this year so if hr loves Britian so much why is he over here. could it be that we here in the great US have better things than you guys do, oh ya and why is it that Ricky's version of the Office over here in the US is doing a hell of a lot better than it ever did in the UK.  I don't know if your aware of this but the 2nd season of the US office did way better than the whole UK version combined.

jimbo_001

[11]Feb 14, 2007
    • level: 56
    TimWidhalm wrote:

kieran3486 wrote:

I have been to Canada and Mexico and now I know you British people are stupid but I think those 2 places qualify and leaving America, wouldn't you agree. and isn't Ricky Gervais living in the US now and I know he was just at the Golden Globes this year so if hr loves Britian so much why is he over here. could it be that we here in the great US have better things than you guys do, oh ya and why is it that Ricky's version of the Office over here in the US is doing a hell of a lot better than it ever did in the UK.  I don't know if your aware of this but the 2nd season of the US office did way better than the whole UK version combined.

That's because it's been dumbed down and we all know how America loves stupid TV and it isn't even in mocumentary form anymore as much as it pretends to be with scenes in a completely different office just because a person left the old one aswell as scenes in carparks, shopping centres and The Office turns into The City. I'm from Australia so neither Office was made here but the British version is on here as repeats a lot and the US version lasted the first three episodes of the first season before it stopped showing here, though one of my mates watches the show on his computer so I've seen a few scenes that prove that the show has not improved. Yes, Ricky Gervais has some input into the US show but that proves that nothing can compete with the original no matter who's involved. Steve Carell is great in movies like Anchorman and the Forty Year Old Virgin and it's a shame to see him in this poor excuse of a remake that is way too popular in the US (plus David has been far too toned down - the Office is hilarious for its cringeworthy moments). I don't care if you like the US version but that doesn't mean I like it. Plus, the UK version is short because that way every episode is classic instead of the garbage like every episode of the US version is. Anyway there's a thread for a British Vs American topic so there's a fair few off topic comments including mine.

DrFinkelstein

[12]Apr 28, 2007
    • level: 5
    jacksback21 wrote:

I agree that what Tim said was an unintelligent answer but you know, so was yours. You're just as ignorant as he is.

Why is it that everytime The Office is discussed, especially on message boards, it always becomes a freakin' cultural war of sorts between the british and the americans?

itshanabanana

[13]Apr 30, 2007
    • level: 7
    DrFinkelstein wrote:
    jacksback21 wrote:

I agree that what Tim said was an unintelligent answer but you know, so was yours. You're just as ignorant as he is.

Why is it that everytime The Office is discussed, especially on message boards, it always becomes a freakin' cultural war of sorts between the british and the americans?

Exactly! Why people why! The question didn't even mention the American series! Anyway, in answer to the question, this version is short because the creators Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant didn't want to have a long series. They were originally going to have only one season which was 6 episodes (British shows rarely have very long seasons like the 22 you get for most American shows) but due to its popularity they made a 2nd season, another 6 episodes. A lot of people wanted them to make another full season as well, but they didn't and eventually they made the 2-part Christmas Specials so it's actually 14 episodes not 13.

lennydonkey

[14]May 2, 2007
    • level: 12

jimbo_001 wrote:
    we all know how America loves stupid TV .
    That's a pretty gross generalization. I've lived in both the UK and America. And there's plenty bad TV coming from both. (UK's still loving Big Brother). But, I can't speak for Australian TV.  Yes, there's a lot of bad American TV by volume, but by percentage 95% of TV is garbage regardless of country of origin. I think that's just the US entertainment industry is so large that it is easier to see. But I don't see any reason to insult people from other countries simply because they are from another country. Insulting them for being idiots is fine though...so Tim knock it off. Or at least keep the rants to the America vs. British forum.

As for the original forum question. I liked the fact that this show had a defined begining, middle, and end. It helps develop the stories and characters, and more importantly helps wrap them up in a satisfying way. Shows like Arrested Development also were able to do this. (Although they didn't plan to go just 3 seasons they found out early enough they were done to bring the series full circle) And some shows, like Lost, could certainly learn that there's an advantage to building to a conclusion and finishing.

frankmullins

[15]Jul 17, 2007
    What is with the Pi**ing contest? I enjoy both the Uk and US version of the show for different reasons. Gez, drop the flaming and let's all get along

Maverick-42

[16]Jul 22, 2007
    • level: 2
    Ignore that Tim bloke. In the forum of the American version he claimed it was more original because it had more episodes. He's just on a wind up.

Back on topic, I think 14 episodes was a perfect length for the show. In Britain we have different attitudes to television than in America. Fawlty Towers is widely considered to be one of the best sitcoms ever produced and it spanned 12 half-hour episodes.

There are many reasons as to why we prefer the six-episode series over the twenty-four-episode season, not that I'm claiming either way is the 'right' way, of course.

In Britain, it is often the case that comedies are written, directed and occasionally acted in by just one or two people - the show's creators. Across the pond, usually the scenario is the polar opposite. Writing teams can consist of up to twelve people, and while the concept may come from one man, the script might come from another, with someone else brought in to direct.

Both systems have their advantages. When a comedy is the brainchild of one or two people, who follow it through as far and as deeply as they can, it really can become a work of art, with a genuinely strong story underpinning the whole show, as characters interact and develop in a more realistic way than they do in longer running programmes.

The Office was suited to such a style because the main story was really the relationship of Tim and Dawn alongside Brent, the main character, slowly waking up to the fact that the youth, humour and popularity he so desperately tries to cling to is long gone, and pretending otherwise is making him look a fool.

ComeOut2Play819

[17]Aug 18, 2007
    I enjoy both the US and UK versions, but the US version is just so much better. It's just so much funnier and the characters are more likable and more realistic. I'm not insulting the Brits, I just think our version is funnier. And what jackasback said about Americans isn't ENTIRELY true. Don't judge us by our president and our rednecks.

korski87

[18]Sep 23, 2007
    • level: 3
    I like both versions of the show although i like the US version just a but more. To answer the forum topic it is to provide a concise story and this is the way many English shows are produced. Much shorter and concise, which in many ways is better. Trying to argue that the US version is more innovative and original on the other hand is ignorant. the show pretty much follows the same plot, even with the closing of one branch and the boss's get to keep their jobs after the better boss of the other branch finds a better one, Jim/pam situation to even small gags like the stapler in the jello. everything is based of the UK version. either way both Ricky gervais and Stephen merchant are comic genius' and we can enjoy both shows.

NZ-Fan

[19]Nov 3, 2007
    The US version is too over the top, obvious harr harr gags, specifically what the creators of the UK version said they were avoiding

Holla4scrubs

[20]Nov 21, 2007
    Wow whats with all the country hating?