The Office

A Benihana Christmas (1)

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Dec 14, 2006 on NBC

• At whom are we laughing here?

I'm not a particularly sensitive person, and I can definitely take any kind of joke, but I just didn't get the whole Asian joke. Can someone explain it to me?

I love The Office because of how irreverent it is, but this episode lacked the "We're actually laughing at Michael" conclusion that we usually see when there's some racist/sexist/ignorant joke, so I'm left wondering, who are we actually laughing at?

First off, I hate Ryan's character. It was funny when he was just the temp that Michael "went gay" for, but he's turned into a douche now, and a lot of what he says isn't even that funny. Speaking of Ryan, ...What kind of Japanese cooking has peanuts in it??

But I digress, I think the joke would have gone more smoothly if maybe we see the real Cindy and her friend clearly plotting to set Michael and Andy up with different girls. Or if "Cindy" at the end caught on to Michael's faux pas. It was just weird how she was into him and then all of a sudden decides to dump him. The marking scene was funny and I thought, "Oh no he dinn't!" But the fact he had to retell it to Jim ruined it. That's like someone explaining the joke after it's done.

I'm not saying this was a racist episode, but I'm just wondering why the jokes this time weren't executed as well as they are usually.