The Office

Casual Friday

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Apr 30, 2009 on NBC

• he is back

After a brief runhing his own company, Michael is back at Dunder Milffin, as is Pam and Ryan. It's funny how Michael choose his comeback. It was simply Michael. However while this episode is good, there were some moments that I think that were supposed to funny but it seemed like I was trying to laugh. It's a common theme for the later seasons. There were still more good then bad about this episode.

There were couple problems at the office in this episode. Some people manily Angela had a problem with the way some people were dressed with it being casual Friday. My favorite moment happened when Toby approached Meredith about her dress. It was hilarious how she just didn't care what everyone was thinking as she was flashing everyone. While this stroyline was good, I did think it could be better. On a small note I did like Kelly's outfit. It seemed similar to the one she wore in the roast of Michael Scott.

When Michael came back with Pam and Ryan, he had them as salespeople with the clients they stole while they were at Michael Scott Paper Comany. This upsets everyone (besides Jim). I could understand this. Similar with the other storyline, I think that more work could've been put in this one. I did enjoy how Michael was trying to play mind games with the sales staff. I have said this before but this episode again shows how much the realtionship between Dwight and Michael has changed. If this happened earlier this season, Dwight would get new clients and help Michael with any rebellion. Funny moments from this storyline include when Dwight said he would with the rest of the sales staff when he didn't know Stanley's last name. My favorite moment from this storyline was Creed and Jim together. This was the first extended interaction between them. Eventually Michael gives in to the sales staff demands. He gives Ryan his old job (temp) and Pam her new job as saleswomen, but not before using a old joke (from the pilot) on her.

Overall I liked this episode and it had some very good moments.
  • A good episode, nice to see the loss of Michael Scott Paper Company hasn't hindered the quality

No offense to anybody who doesn't like the new episodes of The Office (there have been some clunkers this season, don't get me wrong), but calling this episode an awful one just seems absurd and overkill. The show certainly has declined in quality a bit since the first few seasons, but as time goes on, shows tend to change and differ from what they originally were. To say the show isn't funny anymore seems a little strange, seeing as there are still plenty of funny moments.

Dwight's little crusade to get the salesman to rally against Michael, as well as Jim's line about a "strongly painted picture" were great. And who can say enough about Creed, who steals every scene he's in? His belief that Jim was gay but still trying to get him hooked up with his daughter, says everything about how ridiculous and funny Creed is as a character. Also, it was nice to see Michael back to the same awkward fake jokes that he made in Season 1.

If there's one thing I have consistently not enjoyed about the season, it's probably Ryan. I think he's turned into such an awful person. Nothing against BJ Novak, because I still enjoy all of his episodes that he writes and he's a good actor, but honestly.. how could he go from the Ryan of Season 1/2 to the Ryan of Season 5? It's ridiculous. Also, I do agree with what people say about Meredith. She's not my favorite supporting character, so I was a iffy about so much time on her.. although when she pulled down her skirt and her boob popped out, I couldn't help but laugh.

This season has had its ups and downs, but the end of this season has definitely been the strong point. I'm positive it'll end on a great note, even though next week's episode seems just okay to me.

An enjoyable, entertaining episode of The Office, and I actually got a couple laughs which I haven't gotten in a while from Office episodes. The whole causal Friday idea was comedic genius from Angela not wanting to see Oscar in sandals to Meredith's very revealing dress, it was absolutely hilarious.

In the aftermath of the Michael Scott Paper Company, all of the salesman want their clients back from Pam & Ryan. As Michael favors them for not leaving him when the going got rough. He soon comes to realize that he has to choose between Ryan & Pam, on who is getting the sales job.

I honestly wish Pam was back to being a receptionist and Ryan becoming the salesman, I'm not sure if I like Pam as a salesman, I think she was always better as the receptionist. At least it's nice to know things are going back to normal. And I think The Office is back on track ever since the paper company arc.
  • Tensions Boil as Michael, Pam, and Ryan are not welcomed back at the office. Meanwhile, some of the employees decide to not follow the guidelines of 'Casual Fridays'.

This was a great episode for several reasons. First of all, it was a funny episode, and Dwight and Michael will be intersting to watch for the rest of this season and next season. Also, Charles Miner is gone! Although he made the show fresh, he was not incredibly funny. In addition, when the office took casual friday to loosely, Toby is forced to be the bad guy. This episode balanced the season well, and its been a pretty unpredictable one, especially in The Michael Scott Paper Company/New Boss arc. If you really look back, has this season been that bad?
  • It is on like a prawn who yawns at dawn.

This week The Office gets a little heated thanks to the developments that took place from the previous episode. With new jobs as salespeople, Pam and Ryan are looked upon with disdain from the other salespeople in the office when they learn that they will not be getting their clients back that were stolen by The Michael Scott Paper Company. Perhaps the most interesting point of view from all of this comes from Michael himself who for the better part of the show, is adamant that he deserves an apology for his desertion (or betrayal as he sees it) from episode 19 "Two Weeks". Yet, taken as a whole, the episode manages to incorporate many different characters and gives them all a newfound sense of conviction-even Toby gets a moment of self-assertiveness here. With that said however, one of the best features of Casual Friday is simply through the laughs, some of which come plainly from the outfits that the employees wear. Particularly amusing is the segment involving Meredith, and the cold opening with Kevin is also built to strike up laughter. All in all though, Casual Friday continues the series' recent success and manages to combine the previous episodes' high quantity of laughs with solid characterisation and plot development.
  • It's casual Friday at the office and naturally, everybody shows their personal style in the most offensive and obnoxious manner. Also, tensions arise within the sales team and Dwight pans to revolt against Michael, Pam, and Ryan.

There were a couple of parts in this episode that I really liked. For instance, every scene involving Jim and Creed playing board games. These scenes were awesome. Also, basically every scene involving a large group of employees, such as the casual Fridays meeting scene, are usually awesome. Just getting to see how everyone interprets casual Friday is hilarious. That last point brings me to Meredith, who has a couple of really funny moments in this episode. Firstly the scene where Toby reprimands Meredith for her obscenely short dress is great. Meredith ends up flashing the audience three times and every time it happens it is a perfect example of "office" humor. Also, the scene where Meredith thinks the meeting of the sales-people is actually the grounds for a dog fight is laugh-out loud hysterical. The aforementioned parts were what really made this episode great. Now please note that when people read this review, I beg you to only judge it based on the above section because everything after this point will just be me trashing Phyllis. Because she is a stupid, stupid, jerk-bag of a woman. Phyllis really bugged me in this episode. I have never liked her, and in previous seasons I had no reason to dislike her, but recently she has become incredibly obnoxious. The way she told off Pam and later called her "just a receptionist" was so horrible. Now some people may say that I am taking this too far, and that may very well be true, but nonetheless I shall continue. I feel like Phyllis has been really whiny and rude all season I would like to commend all of the characters in the office for putting up with her. I sincerely hope somebody tells Phyllis off soon, because that would be both hilarious and righteous.
  • The office is on casual friday as the sales people reluctantly welcome Ryan and Pam to the sales team.

The last few weeks have re-affirmed my love for this show. The Michael Scott Paper Co. was a nice change of pace that really added something to the show. We all knew that eventually the show would return to formula and that the day to day running of the shows plots would have to live up to what has been seen in recent weeks. And though this isn't as funny or as sharp as it has been of late, it is still a quality episode that provides the laughs to keep you tuned in.

This week Michael, Pam and Ryan return on casual friday. The sales staff have problems with Ryan and Pam joining the sales team and keeping the clients they took from previous salesmen. Dwight leads a mutiny that all the sales people are in on but Jim who wants to hide out until the whole thing blows over. Michael expects the old team to apologize to him for not following him out of Dunder Mifflin but instead he realizes that he owes them an apology for stealing all their clients. When he returns their clients back to them he soon discovers that he can only keep Pam or Ryan on as sales people. He asks Jim for advice and makes his opinion clear on Pam getting the job but Michael doesn't want to leave Ryan high and dry. Their were some hilarious momments like Dwight's invisible ink and Jim's chess and Scrabble games with Creed. But mostly the story did a bit to further the story of this season and personally I can't wait to see what comes our way next.
  • Casual Friday at the office.

Sequoa and I seem to be the lone voices of reason here on The Office is just abysmal right now. I could list out all the things wrong about this episode, but I don't have time to write a novel. A few ones that stuck out were the decision to give Meredith so much screen time. Who suddenly thought she was funny? And Michael Scott has to be one of TV's most annoying people period. Guy makes me want to smash my TV in half.

I did like Toby's performance and the Creed and Jim scenes, but that was what 2 out of 22 minutes?
  • Pretty good episode

It was definately not one of their best, but I enjoyed it. I just wish they'd get back to the old ways. We're getting close, but they're still talking about MSPC, which I think just needs to be forgotten (gradually, like they're doing). Hopefully by Company Picnic it will be back to the ways of seasons 1-4. The whole Meredith bit with her pulling down her breast, then doing the same with other body parts afterwards was brilliant. It was just what you'd expect from her! I also loved the part where Michael is revealed behind the giant paper and Creed takes a picture. Like I said, a great episode, and I expect more this good.
  • content

I was quite a bit worried that after the MSPC storyline would end the show would be stale and boring but i was wrong. This episode was incredibly funny and i never remember laughing more than when kevin dropped his chili all over the floor. Meredith trying to fix her scantily clothes was hilarious and the story of toby once wanting to be a priest but then wanting to have sex with a girl, and dwights pony sandwich, and dwights urine invisible ink, and michaels behind the question mark entrance into the office and creed and jims interactions were all hilarious. THe office managed to keep things interesting with everything back to normal. My only complaint was the recycled fake firing joke. They've used it 3 times already. All in all a very satisfying episode that will keep you laughing throughout.
  • Watching this episode makes me wanna shoot myself

Wow, looks like the folks at NBC don't want to make people laugh with their comedy shows. Office has had a terrible initial streak this season, and then there were a couple of decent watchable episodes, and again back to square one. So, Michael wants to make people pay for not joining him when he wanted them. And he goes nuts, when people were is no mood to apologize. He starts to favor Ryan and Pam, and does not want to return the clients he stole from the other sales staff. So, this was all serious - no shred of comedy at all. Then begins the gross part; did anyone find the scenes where Dwight writes secret messages using his urine, or Meredith showing off her anatomy as part of casual Friday day funny or even appropriate. And we have the nothing happens part - where Jim and Creed play chess and simple do nothing at all. Why do I even watch this series?
  • Already I miss the Michael Scott Paper Company storyline.

Sometimes, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, I find myself watching this show, eagerly waiting for that big laugh- the gut busters The Office is well known for delivering. But sometimes they just don't show up.

Casual Friday's best gags came from what people were wearing. Only Kelly and Meredith had fun with the concept, while overall the idea wasn't as fun as I hoped it would be. Angela was unnecessarily offended by Oscar's feet (going so far as to make a borderline racist comment about just coming off the boat), and there was an odd opening piece with Kevin and some chili.

Surely enough, business is back as usual in Scranton, and already I miss the MSPP plot. There was a little fallout with Michael wanting an apology from those that didn't go with him, but somehow it was spun that Michael should be the one apologizing since he stole clients. I don't know, none of this really worked for me as I thought maybe the team would be glad to see him back after the harsh rule of Charles. But instead, those ingrates were plotting and planning, Dwight annoyingly leading the charge (Urine jokes? Really?) Phylis has turned into a bit of a b*tch, and both Pam and Ryan's integration into sales was underused. I continue to applaud Jim for keeping his sanity in all this mess.