The Office

Diversity Day

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Mar 29, 2005 on NBC

• Everyone is all the same

A solid first episode followed by a very good second episode. This episode showed Michael Scott's character a bit more. This time it was making something (in this case a meeting) about himself. On other characters it would be harder to like. For Steve Carell he did a great job with it. The cards Michael had for himself and the other workers were very funny. I think the best was either Michael's or Stanley's. I also think this was the start of the memorable relationship of Michael and Toby. Another funny thing is (and something I forgot to mention in the pilot review) was the play between Dwight and Jim. It's one of the best parts of the series. In this episode, despite Jim's charm and Dwight's aggressiveness, you see who the better salesman is. Near the end you feel a bit sorry for Jim at the end but then happy. (just see it) Also funny was when Michael was talking to Kelly. Again while he did it in a way that's is offensive it comes off very funny. (side note look at Season 8, her look changes a lot) If you watch this on DVD, check out the deleted scenes.
  • A Classic in the Office Series!

One of my faves, I was watching it earlier at my college library and I just had to stop the video, laughter with no control whatsoever. Loved it
  • One of my favorite episodes of the show, and the first one where I got an idea of what the show would end up like.

One word for this episode. Hilarious. This was the first sign for me that The Office was going to be kicking its reliance on the British show and become its own. Some of the jokes in this, from Michael's Chris Rock routine, to his idea involving cards with different ethnicities on them, are series classics. And when Michael learns the Diversity guy's name is Mr. Brown and he tells him that he WON'T call him that as his first test, I died. Such a great line from a great episode.

This episode was also filled with one of my favorite Jim and Pam moments. Sometimes, for me, it's the tiny things that I love more than the larger ones. For instance, the moment where Pam lays her head on Jim's shoulder during Michael's speech just gets me every time. You can tell how excited this makes Jim and how he takes this as a sign of sorts. I just loved it.

I think this episode, when the show is finally done, will be remembered as a series classic. As the first episode after the pilot, it was their first chance to prove that they wouldn't fall by the wayside and become just another failed remake.

Definitely a series classic, and a major improvement from the first episode, I must say. We've got a lot of hilarious moments, and the whole episode was just way more fast paced. This episode definitely was eventful.

A lot of classic moments such as Pam falling asleep on Jim's shoulder, Jim trying to make a sale, Kelly slapping Michael. The whole note card on everyone's forehead. It was just a hilarious episode overall, and we even got a lot of subtle Jim & Pam moments.

Vast improvement in all places, this is what the show is about, or at least for the next 3 seasons. Michael being a crazy boss, amazing editing, and subtle Jim & Pam moments. Great hilarious episode.
  • Diversity training two different ways. One the right way and one the complete wrong way to go about it. Hilarious!

Well Diversity Day is just a day for Michael to ruin something like usual. He makes up different types of diversity training and they turn out to be terrible ideas. He gets slapped in the process.

Also Jim loses a client to Dwight because of Michael's and Dwight's inconvenient timing of their own little side projects.

During the diversity training the employees had to take cards of different ethnicities and place them on their foreheads. Dwight got Asians and Pam was talking to him and said, "You would not be a very good driver." Dwight yells, "O man, am I a woman?"

So funny!
  • Not quite there yet.

Watching the series in random order, I discover the initial episodes after having seen several later ones. And I don't like what I see. There's something wrong with the way Steve Carell portrays his character here. It took me a while to figure it out: he's imitating Ricky Gervais's performance in the British original, which I never liked. Michael seems fatter, with a poorer dress sense (walking around in a formless shirt, like Gervais's David Brent) and a less than flattering hairstyle. Also, he seems just plain irritating, rather than the somewhat tragic figure he is in later episodes. I'm glad they got Michael Scott right in the end, or that they let Carell do his own thing.
  • I love the cards!

When a consultant comes to teach the employees on diversity and discriminative tolerance, chaos errupts. Michael pretty much mocks the whole thing, even though he is the one who wanted it. Many people are offended like Stanley and Kelly. Michael has everyone do an exercise where they put notecards on their foreheads, but they don't know what it says. Each contains a different race and they must interact and talk to people like they are talking to someone of that race. Things get crazier though.

This episode was pretty good! It may have been a little offensive, but it was so funny! I loved it when Dwight thought he was a woman! This episode gets a 9.0 out of 10!
  • "Celebrate good times, come on!"

The episode that saved me from a thousand fanfics. Because having character A fall asleep on character B is clichéd fanfiction territory. But it isn't cliché! The Office manages to pull it off.

This is a great episode. Just so funny in its wrongness, and a lot of the things that happen just scream wrong. So much of what Michael normally says is wrong, but this takes it to the extreme.

I think this episode shows The Office becoming its own show. It stands up on its own, and I think this episode proved that The Office didn't have to be exactly like the English one. Along with the pilot, this episode continues to introduce characters and recurring themes.
  • It Was Hilarious

Actually it's the second episode in this show and i think I'm beginning to really love it, this episode was simply awesome and the show is also awesome and funny, The idea of the show is new, great and perfectly worked on, the facial expressions of Michelle(Carell) he did great acting in both the 1st and the 2nd episode, i really hope this show keeps it's strength and the actor keep their level of performance, I see a bright future for this show and I wish it gets better and better, one of my greatest moments in a week were passed while I was watching this hilarious episode of "The Office"
  • great ending -- Pam and Jim

I'm new to the office love. I didn't get it when I first watched in 2005; the awkwardness got the best of me. Now I can't seem to get enough and I'm attacking the i-tunes lists. I starting watching at the end of season three and haven't missed the an episode since. The end of this episode might be one of my favorite scenes every. When Pam's head falls on Jim's shoulder and Jim's face after the fact. His day was changed because of that closeness with Pam. I'm so happy their together now in the fourth season. I know there will be problems but I hope they make it through. They are one of the cutest tv couples ever. Pam and Jim forever!
  • The employees of Dunder Mifflin participate in two separate diversity training seminars.

"Diversity Day" is the second episode of the first season of The Office. This episode shows the office as they participate in diversity training, as led by a Mr. Brown. The reason for this seminar was Michael performing a Chris Rock routine. After Mr. Brown completes his seminar and leaves the office, Michael decides to hold a diversity seminar of his own, complete with his employees wearing index cards on their foreheads with different races written on them. During Michael's seminar, they get a glimpse of a video for "Diversity Tomorrow, because today is almost over". Overall, this episode was very funny. It was better than the pilot, and showed the American version of The Office going in a bit of a separate way from the UK version, although they were still a bit similar. This episode is my second favorite of the first season, just behind Health Care. This can be attributed to its many funny lines from an array of people. I always laugh extremely hard when I watch Michael's Diversity Tomorrow Video, or Dwight thinking that he is a woman because Pam said that he "is a bad driver". I also enjoyed seeing Michael sign his name as Daffy Duck on the pledge, though I thought it a bit incredulous that Mr. Brown would not have looked at the from and caught that before he left the office. One of my favorite lines from Kevin the accountant comes from this episode: after Michael says that he should have ordered some food, Kevin says, "May-be some spaghetti," because he was still wearing his index card on his head that read "Italian". Though this episode definitely had its hilarious parts, it still seemed a bit too much like the pilot and like the UK version; it also lagged in some parts, and seemed a bit too (but never too much) racist in some parts. 9.4/10
  • A consultant arrives to teach the staff about tolerance and diversity but Michael insists on imparting his own knowledge. Meanwhile, Jim struggles to keep hold of a lucrative contract extension.

Just a pure office classic episode. Its the things in life that everybody goes through that this show makes fun of. We all have to deal with tolerence towards other races. But there will always be an ignorant one. This show pushes the limit and shows how bad one can be and is just pure comedic gold.

Quotes: "Retaliation, Tit for Tit"
    "Everybody say a race you are attracted to sexually. I will go last."
    "Whatcha want a cookie?"
    "A hero kills people, people that wish him harm. A hero is part human and part super natural. A hero is born out of a childhood trama or out of a disaster, that must be avenged."
    "...signed, Daffy Duck. He's gonna lose it when he reads that"
    "I am also native american. I am 2/15."
    "Notice I didn't have anybody be an arab. To explosive, no pun intended"
    "Now she knows what it feels like to be a minority"
  • Michael's off color remark puts a sensitivity trainer in the office for a presentation, which prompts Michael to create his own.

Haha one of the very funny episodes partly the jokes and partly because michael is so dumb that he made his on diversity 'game' where everybody puts a race on there heads and asks questions about there race to other people, which is very funny.Michael is so dumb in this episode he thinks calling a black person Mr Brown is a test which he will not do. Some of the jokes in this episode coem very fast so if you watch it on dvd make sure you rewind it so you can get the funnyness of a quick joke. Good Funny Episode.
  • The staff gets Diversity Training, but Michael feels the need to educate them more.

I think with this episode, we slowly learn more of why Jim hates Dwight. When he shreds paper knowing Jim is on the phone, and trying to be included in running the meeting, he develops his character, and understand a lot more of why everyone around him hates Dwight. Dwight and Jim fighting is one of my favorite parts of the show, but in this episode I can see why Jim pranks him. I would do exactly the same thing. Michael seems like a little kid who can't sit still during the training and keeps interrupting, including to say the routine that got him in trouble in the first place. Being so oblivious, he doesn't realize this is all because of him. I felt really sorry for Jim, who loses his biggest commission to Dwight, because of Michael feeling the need to teach the office Diversity. I felt Michael pushed it too far in this episode when Kelly slapped him, but there was still a lot of good material in this, like Dwight trying to figure out what race he was. Overall a solid episode.
  • While pretty funny, seems like they were too much like the Brit version.

I'll be starting out every season one review with this:

Don't get me wrong. I love The Office. I think it's one of the funniest shows on TV right now. It's clever, quick, interesting, with characters. I feel you can really relate to some characters, while also feeling like you know some personality types in real life. That said....

I think this episode was pretty good. Still seemed a little bit forced with the silences, and it didn't seem like they were as control of the material as the Brit material had control of them. However, it had some hilarious moments. The shining moment of this ep is where you first see the hilarious hatred Michael has for Toby. As crazy as Michael is, Toby really is the only one to step in and call him out on it. So Michael dubs him a buzz kill; therefore despising his existence. What a great way of setting up that character interaction!
  • It's Diversity at Dunder Mifflin.

This is definitely the best episode of season one and a standout episode in the series as a whole. All of the diversity day conference room scenes are absolutely hilarious. This episode also helped to develop the personalities of some of the secondary characters, esecially Kevin. This episode is extremely funny, and Steve Carell did an excellent job in this episode. Steve's reenactment of the Chris Rock routine was very, very funny. That part alone makes this episode the wonderful gem that it is. We also get to see some really wonderful moments that focus on Jim and Pam's relationship. These moments are always very sweet and enjoyable to watch. All in all, this was a really great episode.
  • Very funny second show!

The show is getting good and that it has great writing and great acting. With Michael trying to lead a discussion and teach diversity in the boardroom despite not being good at it. Still it is very funny to watch. While Jim is trying to land a lucrative contract but fails in the process. As you know he would for sure!
  • Not as good as the pilot episode but quite

This is the second episode of the series I watched. I found it funny but I prefered the first one. In that episode, I discover how stupid is Michael. His game for the diversity day was so funny. My personnal favourite joke was when Mr. Brown said to Mike that his name was Brown. LoL. I found him so crazy. The way that the episode finish is really revealing. Jim said to the camera: \\\'\\\'It was not a bad day.\\\'\\\'. LoL. So I liked this episode but it was not as good as the pilot episode. I will probably watch the third one very very soon ans I hope it will be good.
  • The employees learn about diversity and tolerance. Hilarity ensues.

In this episode, the corporate office sends a trainer to the office after hearing of Michael's imitation of a Chris Rock routine. He teaches the employees how to be open-minded and accept diversity in their workplace. Michael does not like the trainer's advice and organizes his own diversity training workshop. Each person has a note on their forehead and has a minority listed on that note. They cannot see what they say and must guess what they are through questions asked by other employees. Michael really wants the employees to 'push the envelope,' meaning he wants them to ask questions and say things based on untrue stereotypes. This leads to some really hilarious lines. For example, Pam's card says Jewish on it. Dwight goes up to her and says "Shalom, I would like to apply for a bank loan."

This episode was very well-written and is a classic season 1 episode. What's really funny is how Michael thinks he is tolerant, yet he ends up making so many racist remarks without really meaning to. For example, after the role-playing exercise, Michael says (to the camera):

"You'll notice I didn't have anybody being Arab. I thought that would be too explosive...no pun intended. But I just thought, 'too soon' for Arabs. Maybe next year. The ball's in their court."

Great episode of a great show.
  • funny

This was very well written no extremely well written. It was priceless when he said the Chris Rock thing. Or when he signed the paper as Daffy Duck. Or when kelly slapped mike. or when mike made his own movie for diversity day. Or when Kevin saw angela with a Jamacin sign on. Or when everyone had on a sign for a race. I just think its so wild how they put so much funnyness in one episode. I was flabbergasted when i saw that it was rated 9.3 I give it a 9.7. Watch this episode it is hilariouse.
  • Racial seminar in the office.

In Diversity Day, an instructor comes to the office and teaches about racial equality after Michael is reported for telling an offensive Chris Rock joke. Michael soon grows tired of the instructor and creates his own diversity day. He decides to give the employees ethnicities they don't know while the other employees treat them they way they would treat that race. This works for a while, but Kelly knows nothing about it, so when Michael talks in Indian accent to Kelly, she slaps him.

Notable funny parts are Michael performing the Chris Rock joke and the exchange between Pam and Dwight during Michael's portion of Diversity Day.
  • Very excellent indeed

This episode made me get into watching the Office. It was hilarious! The cards with the different races and cultures on it was extremely funny, especially when the African American guy got BLACK on his card. Dwight beating Jim to his phone call was unexpected. When Michael Scott started doing a Chris Rock impression and his impression of the Indo-American stereotype (which is not true) I was laughing my head off. It was just another finely written, cleverly plotted, altogether great episode of an above average television show.
  • The Start of something Big

After the Pilot episode things felt abit too much like the English version of the Office, but this was completely different and was the start of a great comedy. Steve Carrell absolutely run the show, such a great actor and he does a superb job. This episode is packed full of cheap laughs, but well done cheap laughs. Simply the start of a great new tv show
  • When Michael gets in trouble with corporate, the whole crew is forced to participate in diversity training, but Michael realizes the program was aimed just at him, he decides to conduct his own session chock full of ethnic stereotypes.

Definitely a classic episode, with Michael directing his diversity session as "Martin Luther King Jr.," each employee is assigned an individual ethnicity and the others have to treat that person as you would normally treat someone of that ethnicity. This leads to a hilarious series of conversations with bon mots like "Shalom! I'd like to apply for a loan," and "Would you like to try a cookie, cookie?"

Michael reveals that he's an impossible fraction of Native American, founds a new task force called "Diversity Tomorrow" with its own promotional video, and reenacts Chris Rock's stand-up routine about what black people are "s'posed to do."

While Michael's workshop is definitely over the top (in a good way) the workshop conducted by corporate, which instructs the employees to be a HERO (Honesty, Empathy, Respect, Opportunity) is exactly like what real office diversity workshops are like and the show lampoons this aspect of corporate America perfectly. While Michael definitely could use some sensitivity training, he's pretty much on the money when he calls such programs drivel, which was makes this episode even funnier.
  • This is why we should watch

First, way to go BJ for an awesome script. It captured the true essence of the original BBC series, but with an American slant. When I show people who have not watched the series an episode, this is the one. This was one from the day after its airing, everyone in my office was talking about it.

In the days that we live in, we are stuck in a PC environment--where even a compliment can land you waiting in HR's office to give your side of the story. While I wish for our freedom, I'm thankful that I don't work for Michael Scott. We see the pain that the employees have to deal with--which is a perfect reason that we must remain PC.

I'm thankful for NBC for giving this show some new life (as of this writing, we are in January, where the show has moved to Thursdays and ratings are increasing). Ricky and Stephen created a wonderful human comedy in the original office and I hope that NBC/Reveille continue this...and is there an opening for me on the writing staff? You'll be hearing from my agent:)
  • This is the best episode of this extremly funny series. A must see.

If you are offended by racial sterotypes then then episode might not be for you. Otherwise, this is an absolutle histerical half hour that will make you fall out of your set. When Michael takes it into his own hands to give diversity training to his employees, he goes about it completely in the wrong way and the results are hilarious. This is the best episode of this extremly funny series. A must see.
  • Greatest episode to date!!

This is the by far the best episode of The Office from the first season. Personally I think that it ranks up there with the "not that there's anything wrong with that" and "Contest" Seinfeld episodes. You do have to suspend your disbelief that a guy like this would be employed longer then a week. Classic!!
  • My favorite episode of The Office

Diversity Day is easily the best episode of The Office. It was funny and well written. I loved the part where he had the employees tape the cards to their heads and the Mr. Brown can't be your real name bit. I also liked the chemistry that is forming between Jim and Pam and the negitive chemistry between Jim and Dwight, Dwight is the one character I don't like. A great episode though. It's what I've begun to expect from this series
  • Great, original episode for a mediocre show!

I thought 'Diversity Day' was pretty hilarious! 'The Office (US)' is pretty mediocre compared to its British counterpart but Diversity Day was hilarious! 'The Chris Rock Routine' will crack you up. The different stereotypes will crack you up. If you were to check out one episode of 'The Office (US)' make it Diversity Day!
TBS