The Office

The Duel

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Jan 15, 2009 on NBC

• Andy vs Dwight

At the end of the last episode Phyllis raveled to everyone but Andy that Angela was cheating on Andy with Dwight. This was a great follow up. The fact that no one told Andy was a good start of this episode. It's funny how everyone is awkward is around Andy and how he doesn't pick up on anything. I also like how Michael wants to tell Andy upfront but gets stopped. How Michael tells Andy was pretty amusing and a great reaction on Andy's part. Andy is of course upset which leads one of the best "fight" in TV history. Two funny moments before the fight were Andy and Dwight giving each other a high five on the terms and Jim walking in between them. One of my favorite moments before the fight and before Andy finds out is how Dwight tries to stay on alert. Also his weapons was a nice callback from previous episode. The fight itself served it's purpose. It was not too scary, funny but not too funny, and also another step in the complicated relationship of Dwight and Angela. One of the sadder Dwight moments when he finds out that Angela was sleeping with Andy and then threw out her gift to him from season 2. I also thought that Angela was great throughout this whole episode. The fact that Michael was not there might have made it better.

Speaking of Michael, he was called to corporate to meet with David Wallace. And no it was not for something he did wrong but right. His branch is doing the best. I loved his reaction when David asks him why the branch is doing so good. How he explains it was something that should've taken a lot shorter ended up going a lot longer is what made it funny. The fact that this was a B story is one of the reasons why this episode was good.

Definitely better than the last episode, but this episode came off as weak too. It was completely ridiculous from Andy hitting Dwight with his car to get Angela to the very anti-climactic end. This episode had it's moments with some clever one liners, but most of the dialogue was idiotic.

Andy & Dwight stole the show here, but the office's reaction them battling it out for Angela didn't make much sense and I couldn't understand why Jim was being so concerned in the fight, where's the smug Jim Halpert we know & love? Definitely not here. Michael's plot was forgettable, nothing much happened. David Wallace told him he was doing a good job and Michael acted like an idiot as usual in season 5. One eventful plot that they could have been way better, they both dump Angela in the end. And everything else was regular season 5 mediocrity.
  • Andy vs. Dwight in the battle over Angela!

I could not stop laughing when Andy used the car to sneak up on Dwight while he stalled to read the sign. That was ingenius. The Andy and Dwight dialogue before the dual was also great, when they choose their weapons and Dwight decided to have to use a sword and Andy wanted to solely use his bare hands, to which Dwight responded, "I will use my sword to cut off your bare hands!" The thing is, Angela was never good enough for Andy, and it's kind of a shame that Dwight lost her too when they were perfect for each other.
  • one of the best

A phenomenal episode that redeems the office for me after a dreadful christmas special. This may be one of my favorite if my favorite episode of the entire series. The prius comment from oscar is a classic and andy and dwight being dumbasses always is a good thing when the show wants to be funny. it was also nice to see that michael did something right for once and was being acknowledged for it. i really did not see michael not failing coming. this episode takes away the bad taste in my mouth from the Moroccan christmas episode and i am thrilled to see the office back in top form.
  • Stupid Angela

at last Andy knew about Angela and Dwight, true in a stupid way by Michel !!

but really that Michel is something haha, hes stupid, i mean he waited until he got in the car then he told Andy.

i liked when he went to the main branch, thinking he'll be yelled at hahaha , but it turned that he did well with his branch, and he even dont know how he did it, STUPID hehe :D

but those two Andy and Dwight, poor them fooled by Angela. I liked when Andy canceled the wedding cake showing her that he no longet want to be with her, the same for Dwight!!
  • Glad to have it back, but the payoff for the buildup wasn't quite what I expected.

I do find it a bit of a stretch that Andy would have gone 17 days without knowing about the affair (surely Michael or Kelly or even Creed would have blurted it out within this time) I enjoyed the episode as usual, but I was actually expecting something bigger, something more. Still, Michael telling Andy just before taking off was pretty funny, as he didn't want to be there for the fireworks.

Andy has every right to be upset, but Dwight being mad doesn't make much sense. Did he expect Angela to never sleep with the man she was engaged with? Surely he would have thought something was up. For me, the best moment of all was the teaser before the opening titles. There's a new speed meter in the parking lot, and the gang was racing across it to see who was the fastest!
  • Dwight vs. Andy

Affairs and cheating are always an ugly game to play because one or more people always get hurt. Well it had to happen sometime, now that everyone knows the truth about Dwight and Angelia it was just a powder keg waiting to explode.

I really like how Michael delivers the truth to Andy in a somewhat cowardly fashion. Michael might not have been the right person to deliver the truth but hey it had to come out sooner he was going to find out sooner or latter. Plus Angelia's time to tell the truth has long expired, it really tells you how far her insensitivity goes.

And we see that Andy is mad at his so called feonsay Angelia, everyone for keeping the truth too long but most of all Dwight. He has a right to though I feel all the blame really belongs to Angelia.

Angelia was a character I found funny but never really likable due to how brittle and offputing she is. But most of all how self centered she is, she's had that attitude as if the world should revolve around her and always needs ego inflation to support it. From that head of parties/morale officer possition which we know she sucks at and now in playing with two peoples feelings.

One of the funniest moments was when Dwight was calling out Andy to fight for Angelia's hand in marage. It was noble but may'be dumb at the same time but all the same shows that his feelings for Angelia were genuine. I even like how Dwight was creating ground rules like which kind of weapons or no weapons which is fair. On a sidenote at the end I love the fact Dwight had his weapons hidden all over the office, why the heck he would do that beats me.

The subplot with Michael not really much but his cluelessness about his company's sucess if funny. I can only come to two conclusions on that matter: 1. It might have been just plain good or dumb luck with good morale to boot. 2. Everyone or at least some people actually applied good effort into their work or at least seemed to.

The duel between Dwight and Andy didn't disapoint though I won't say it was much of a duel or enitrely fair for that matter, when we see Andy set up a trap for Dwight this I feel either makes Andy smart or a little underhanded probably both. It has hillarous seeing Andy very slowly trapping Dwight and Dwight while trapped is futilely hitting Andy's car with his small whip and both are in fury mode spouting out their anger toward one another.

Both both of course discover the truth that they've both been used and both silently break it off with Angelia. In the end I can't help but feel a little sad for the two. Yes, both of them are fools but they have feelings that make them peopl and must be respected. Angela had it wrong it wasn't those two that didn't deserve her, she didn't deserve them.
  • Andy and Dwight fight over Angela.

The Office has done a lot of ridiculous things, but I've been able to justify the majority of them, even Michael planning to jump off the roof into a bouncy castle was not this crazy. That being said this episode officially jumped the shark for the series.

David Wallace praising Michael's work? No, that would not happen. Michael admitting that he doesn't know what he's saying sometimes? No, because he claims to be the world's best boss. And the big one of course being Andy hitting Dwight with a car.

The last one did produce some of the few laughs of this episode such as Oscar mentioning how a Prias is silent when under 5 mph and Dwight saying how calling him Sasquatch is a compliment because they're the strongest animals in the world, but it is just too improbable to believe. And what was with Jim acting like a complete tool, walking around the office enforcing rules like a glorified hall monitor?
  • Andy finally finds out about Dwight and Angela and he decides to duel Dwight for her. Meanwhile Michael is at corporate where David is trying to find out what makes Scranton so successful.

This is a great return for the series after the midseason break with an ep that harks back to earlier seasons with the laughs but still packs the emotional punch that season 5 has been dealing out so far.

Michael decides he can't lie to Andy and tells him about Dwight and Angela. Angela still wants to marr Andy but he knows that she loves Dwight as well. The two men decide that they will duel for Angela's love. Jim is left in charge at the office so he must make sure nothing too bad happens on his watch. He decides to collect all of Dwights weapons. This arc is the most important and has probably the best ending to an ep this season.

Meanwhile Michael is summoned to corporate by David, Michael fears that it is bad news. But when he gets there he finds that David wants to know what he is doing that is working in Scranton as all the branches of Dunder Mifflin are well behind Scranton. Michael is shocked but can't really tell David why things are going so well as he is not quite sure himself. David persists though as he wants to know why Michael is doing better than everyone else during a financial crisis. A plot that is made funny by the fact that it is only shown in small doses. If the writers can keep up the quality like this tehy should rate very well come superbowl night.
TBS