The Office Forums

NBC (ended 2013)

Catherine Tate ruining the show???

bennni

[1]Apr 26, 2012
    • level: 2

Does anyone agree with me on this, but my belief is that since catherine tate has stared on the series it has kinda gone down hill from there on, I believe they should of left her at the auditioning on the episode "Search Committee" and even then I didn't find her the slightest bit funny. Yes I know they need some new faces in the office to make it more interesting, but seriously… not catherine tate's! I have much love for the show and will carry on watching it but I won't have as much hope in it as I did a few seasons back.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ConstableClyde

[2]Apr 26, 2012
    I really have to agree with you. I don't like the concept of her character at all and I hate seeing the show suffer because of it.

mrjimmyjames

[3]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 7

Glad to see a different point of view online about Ms. Tate for once.

I have mixed feelings about her; I really don't know what to think about her. My biggest problem with her is she's just all over the place; she can have funny moments every now and then but most of the time I just don't find her funny. She's too silly and throws too many attempts at humor out there and not enough of them ever stick. I do however like the fact the she bascially showed up not as the main character and as a villain and I think that somewhat works.

And at times I get the impression that those that do find her funny do in part because of her accent. Which makes absolutely no sense to me! People who like her also will sometimes compare her with Ricky Gervais; I guess soley because they're both British (?!) but the two are not alike and in fact Gervais has made a point that he does not like her style of comedy. If in fact that's true that seems like a ridiculous reason to think she's funny.

What I've always found bizarre was that about a year ago when the buzz was that she was going to take over as manager (which I believe will probably happen now; I believe it was basically delayed by a play she was doing and producers created the Andy/Robert relationship to replace it) at the bottom of every article you read about that rumor there were always dozens of commenters that repeatedly said she was funny. Yet they could never say why or how and usually included a video from her sketch show. It always seemed slightly pushy and trollish, too which hey its fine we all don't have to agree but I don't know it just seemed off putting. I checked out her shows and still have yet to see what they see in her.

Not only that but a lot of critics seem to like her as well (in sort of an off putting elitist/snobbish sounding way) but I get the impression that the audience is very split on her character in much the same way as they are about Mr. California, if not (and probably) worse. People either extremely love her or extremely hate her. And due to that I think she probably is hurting the show's mainstream appeal (but I'll admit if she can get the show some great critical acclaim then it might be worth it after all the ratings have continued to drop either way). I just don't think she would make the show better at all if she were a major character like manager; it would be like fingernails on the chalkboard.

The guy who I think was perfect for the show was Spader. The Office is about awkward, confusing, cringe inducing, bizarre humor and that in a nutshell is James Spader. Yet... the writers seem to have no clue on how to write him and they've totally dropped the ball on it. He was best when he asked bizarre questions in a confrontational way (like a Jedi master) but most of the time they don't know how to make him likeable; either he's in to something weird sexually or he's just simply a bad guy. And that's no way to win over the audience; everybody knows Americans don't like mean people on televison. You have to find a way to make a character like that charming enough (or funny) for the audience to be able to overcome his unlikeability. It's a balancing act but its possible; after all House M.D. ran for years.

Edited on 04/29/2012 1:38am

antdude

[4]May 5, 2012
    • level: 27
    Yeah, get rid of her and Robert.

mankinduk

[5]May 7, 2012
    I'm a UKer and I won't forget when her sketch show was the hottest thing going (the Catherine Tate show). Just awful.

Now she's infected one of my favourite shows, which I find a little hard to take. I do feel a little like 'how did he get this gig?'. And what does she bring to the table? Well, she's got a lovely figure which I don't mind at all but apart from that her deal seems to just be saying all her lines in a slightly silly voice.

Hope she goes, sooner rather than later.

mrjimmyjames

[6]May 10, 2012

mankinduk wrote:
    her deal seems to just be saying all her lines in a slightly silly voice.

Exactly, I think you just hit the nail on the head. That sums up perfectly what her whole comedic schtick is.

Unfortunately I get the impression that the producers/creative force behind the show are absolutely enamored with her and plan on making her the centerpiece of the show beyond this year; I'm not exactly looking forward to this. At least this season they kind of kept her from completely taking over the show (and in a slightly smaller role) and has sort of been stomachable this year. But next year something tells me we're going to get double the amount of her that we're getting so far and the thought of that is hard to take. They're even trying to make her more likeable now. I really wish they'd just drop her and add some smaller characters (sales reps, secretaries) like when they added Andy and Erin years ago.

bennni

[7]May 11, 2012
    I to live in the uk, no matter how hard I try to watch it live on NBC, I always have to watch it a day after! But after watching episode 24 earlier today and finding out that Andy is going to be regional manager again that is brilliant news! I seriously was happy when I saw it. I really do hope that the producers have got the hint that the ratings of the show have hit bedrock all because of catherine tate and are finally ever so sloooowlllyyy getting rid of her.

mrjimmyjames

[8]May 12, 2012

bennni wrote:
    But after watching episode 24 earlier today and finding out that Andy is going to be regional manager again that is brilliant news! I seriously was happy when I saw it. I really do hope that the producers have got the hint that the ratings of the show have hit bedrock all because of catherine tate and are finally ever so sloooowlllyyy getting rid of her.

I wouldn't bet on it.If they were going to get rid of her they would have done that in the finale; instead stupid Andy was conned into letting her stay on in another role other than manager. Hopefully Andy will stay manager but I still don't know if I believe the producers are smart enough tokeep themselves from making Tate manager again.

mankinduk

[9]May 12, 2012
    I'm not sure she'll be made manager again but I think it's safe to say she'll have a pretty major role on the show. She'll be more on Jim, Andy or Dwight rather than a Ryan or a Stanley.

wingsabre

[10]Oct 18, 2012
    • level: 13
    I didn't really like Michael Scott during season 1, but he eventually became more human and likable. Tate is following that roll now.

zurimov

[11]Oct 26, 2012
    • level: 9
    The thing I despise about Nelly is that everyone is shilling her.
    Somehow, the writers make all other characters talking her up, as though she were some sort of saint or savior.
    The hell she is.
    Do they think we could forget how she stole Andy's job last season? Do they think we could forget that she herself has admitted she is unqualified for her position? Do they think we could not see that all her pranks and misdeeds are based on gross incompetence?
    Even worse, they somehow make Andy, a previously likable character, become a Deangelo in order to raise Nelly's cred on the office. When would they realize that Andy has a damn good reason for hating Nelly?!
    I remember watching Kate in BBC's Robin Hood, what a godawful piece of character...Nelly is the same, if not worse.

kypus10

[12]Nov 16, 2012
    • level: 1
    Having her in on the joke just made the prank on Dwight not funny. The whole thing felt forced, and the uncomfortable feeling wasn't the fun kind we've come to expect. Forcing her role is seriously messing up the show's chemistry.

CommentatorPr

[13]Dec 10, 2012
    • level: 1

I agree with your comments about Spader. His character would be too technically difficult to continue writing, he was awesome while he lasted. If we had teams of creative geniuses about to continue writing for him, he would have taken The Office to a whole nuther level.

Psy4potato

[14]May 24, 2013
    • level: 10
    I think the downfall was making Robert California the manager. Nelly should have been it from day one (after michael left). Her character didn't seem forced and it would have been interesting to see her in that role. When she stole Andy's job I got excited, because I think she was a great addition to the cast. When she was utilized in episodes I found those episodes very entertaining. I would say Robert California was ruining the show, not Nelly. My own opinion of course. I think the show could have went on with a revolving door with the cast. While I missed Kelly, Ryan, & Michael, I loved the newbies they brought in. Andy could have been written off sooner too, or just put him back to where he used to be with Nelly running things. My two cents, it's done and over with now, but I am on the pro-Nelly side!

mrjimmyjames

[15]Jun 5, 2013

Psy4potato wrote:
    I think the downfall was making Robert California the manager. Nelly should have been it from day one (after michael left). Her character didn't seem forced and it would have been interesting to see her in that role. When she stole Andy's job I got excited, because I think she was a great addition to the cast. When she was utilized in episodes I found those episodes very entertaining. I would say Robert California was ruining the show, not Nelly. My own opinion of course. I think the show could have went on with a revolving door with the cast. While I missed Kelly, Ryan, & Michael, I loved the newbies they brought in. Andy could have been written off sooner too, or just put him back to where he used to be with Nelly running things. My two cents, it's done and over with now, but I am on the pro-Nelly side!

Our own biases aside I think it's prettyclear that both California and Nellie were considered a failure with audiences overall after their additions to the show in season 8.

People had problems with the fact that California brought in a different tone that was often uneven in the show. He'd only be on the show here and there and when he was there critical response was often that it felt off in some way.

The reason why Nellie was unpopular was her style of comedy. A lot of the reaction to her character is that she is too silly and not funny. And as a result very annoying. Unlike Michael, who managed to besilly but funny. She was supposed to be the manager long term (she couldn't join immediately which led to California) but I think the critical response caused them to reduce her role in the show for season 9. Once they did this in season 9 reviews of her character got better. IMO she was far better in season 9 as a smaller character and I actually enjoyed her this season.

In my opinion much of the downfall of the show came from high expectations. The show was more ensemble oriented as opposed to Michael driven and the show was so different in that way. So everyone feels like the show is off kilter too much. And the high expectations cause people to over exaggerate flaws. IMO, I don't think it was bad at all. You still had Dwight, Jim, Pam, etc. Spader really didn't appear enough in season 8 to hurt the show much.

Ultimately I think the fact that the show pretty much wasted a talent like James Spader and didn't really use him will say a lot about missed opportunities. Especially when you see he's already moved on to great reviews in "The Blacklist". When you get a chance to land an extremely well respected actor that won 3 emmys for an awkward comedic role, he should be perfect for the show. It's pretty clear that the writing staff dropped the ball on his character. His first episode was brilliant, there was so much potential. Is he a genius? A con artist? A master of the jedi mind trick?A pervert? A criminal? He's hilariously unpredictable. There was so much to explore. If written well the character could have fit in perfectly, contended for an Emmy, and extended the show's run further. It would have been the perfect change of pace. But in season 9 hedevolvedinto a one note sex joke shoehorned into episodes. Only every now and then did the writing staff manage to make an episode that provided a glimpse of the potential that the character had (specifically the episodes Mrs. Calfornia and Turf War).

fanboy2000

[16]Sep 7, 2013
    • level: 3

mrjimmyjames wrote:

Ultimately I think the fact that the show pretty much wasted a talent like James Spader and didn't really use him will say a lot about missed opportunities.

Couldn't agree more. He's a very talented actor, and his introduction during the interview process was brilliant. Had the writers spent more time trying to develop the character while keeping the show in line with the pseudo-documentary style in a real office setting it would have boosted the show's ratings, and pleased fans.

I don't know Catherine Tate in person or really know anything about her at all. Maybe she's a sweet and caring person, but she was cast in two of my favorite shows - Doctor Who and The Office - and in my opinion ruined them both. Her role as Donna Noble on Doctor Who was grating, annoying, manipulative and horribly pushy. It made the 4th season very hard to watch. When she was added to The Office I was flabbergasted! Here again she was playing a pushy, annoying and manipulative character. Why cast her at all? The only reason I can think of is that they wanted to bring some British element to the show because it originated in the UK. Adding Gervais would have been quite contrived - heck, even having him appear near the elevator with Michael Scott was pushing the limits of believability - so they simply went with another British comedian.

Like I said, I don't know her and maybe she's a wonderful person so it's not my intent to hurt her feelings; she does after all have a real acting talent. But she did not belong on either show.

Edited on 09/07/2013 10:58am