TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

The Office Forums

NBC (ended 2013)

General News, Media Mentions, etc

HunterJ8

[101]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 29
    Okay, that baby is the cutest baby in the world. And looks a lot like Mike.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

keikoy_seven

[102]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 16
    I was hoping the baby would have a mose beard, but he is cute nonetheless. I also find it extremly random that Regis Phibin is the Grandfather

HunterJ8

[103]Feb 20, 2008
    keikoy_seven wrote:
    I was hoping the baby would have a mose beard, but he is cute nonetheless. I also find it extremly random that Regis Phibin is the Grandfather

Mike is married to JJ Philbin, Regis's daughter. JJ is (was?) also a tv writer, although the show is escaping me right now.
    But yeah, it is a random coincidence.

keikoy_seven

[104]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 16
    I know she was a writer for The O.C. for a while, I saw the name on the credits not too long ago.

bballmegan22

[105]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 30

New Jenna Blog

She addresses the time lapse and what we can expect for the rest of the season saying there will be 6 episodes, with the last being an hour long.

HunterJ8

[106]Feb 29, 2008

I knew this, but figured others may enjoy:

Not just John who advertises for Gap

Edited on 02/29/2008 10:45am

HunterJ8

[107]Feb 29, 2008
    I guess this is also the place to say I love Jenna and Angela.
    Cause I do

HunterJ8

[108]Feb 29, 2008
    Okay, be scared. Be very very very scared. I went away, but my obsessive knowledge of all things TO related did not. And whats worse - this represents a fraction of the things I read. But I figured if I posted everything, I would break tv.com:

Part One:
    Rainn video, I think its old, but it isn't loading yet, so I figured I would just post it.

Office and Philosophy, I am sure you heard about this book on OfficeTally, but it is already on my wishlist. I am also trying to buy the book in the same series about The Daily Show, so hopefully once I read that I will have a better idea if this is a cool book or not.

Unfortunately, I can't get the link working on my computer, however, I can say that Steve likes the half hour episodes better.

Steve had jury duty during the strike. Spoilered because it may be:

***SPOILER***

HunterJ8

[109]Feb 29, 2008
    John is back in NYC, and will probably be there for SNL. Which that may just be for me. Also, I know that apparently, guys won't say no to marriage proposals on Feb 29th. So, anyone in NYC want to take a chance? But really, unless you are as interested in stalking the boy as I am, I don't think anyone else really cares. However, I do.
    (Note to self:
    Step one: Admit you have a problem. "Hi, I'm Hunter, and I am addicted to John Krasinski"
    Step two: Indulge it. Track his every move
    Step three: Be embarrassed if you ever get the chance to meet the boy)

And I do have more John stuff, but really, its just me oogling him, and gushing over how awesome he is, so I won't share all of that. But John is pretty awesome.

HunterJ8

[110]Feb 29, 2008
    Seriously, this no valid tags error will drive me batty!

Jason Reitman (Director of Juno also directed Local Ad and talks a bit about it here:

I don't Tivo a lot of shows. In fact, I don't Tivo anything right now, because I have this &#@$$% Time Warner DVR box instead that crashes constantly and works like Tivo's retarded cousin. Anyhow, I've got Mythbusters, Family Guy, Curb Your Enthusiasm, HBO Sports, Canucks games on the Center Ice package, and most importantly The Office.

So when I got the call that they'd like me to direct an episode, I jumped at the opportunity. Days later, I found myself driving up to their lot out in Van Nuys. It's at the end of this street of repo lots and neon sign dealers. However, once you drive in, you find yourself passing parking spaces with the Dunder Mifflin logo and the character names… that's right, not the actor's name. Carell's spot says "Michael Scott". Rain Wilson's spot says "Dwight Schrute".

So I walk onto the sound stage, and let me preface this by saying I've been on a lot of sets. It always looks different and faker in person. The Office set is an anomaly. It looks exactly like it does on TV. It's a four-wall set with ceiling and floor. None of the walls fly away. And here's the trippier part – The actors hang out at their desk, in costume, even when they're not shooting. Their computers are on line and they're checking email and stuff.

I knew Rainn, Krasinski, and Helms from before. As soon as I walked in, they all start to hug me, and then more actors join in, until I'm in a giant group hug from the entire office… in The Office. It is the craziest, coolest thing of all time.

Preparing to direct an episode of The Office is very tricky. There's no set-ups or lighting. There's two guys with video cameras on their shoulders and you have to treat their movement like actors in the scene – because they are technically the documentarians. At the beginning, they gave me floor plans of the office so I could map out the camera movement… because every scene is done in one shot.

One shot.

That means every close up, wide shot, reaction shot, insert… everything is done in one shot from one of two cameras… that can't see each other but must shoot simultaneously. It's like a big game of Rummy Kub.

Wierd moment of production design surprise - There's a three ring binder on Creed's desk with the logo from the Academy of Tobacco Studies that we created for Smoking. I have no idea how it got there and neither does he.

Anyhow, the whole experience was awesome. They're all geniuses over there. I didn't have to contribute much at the end of the day because they're all so on their game.

Here's a weird note. When they're doing the talking heads… They're speaking to the director. So if you watched my episode - when Michael is talking about how he thought up a unicorn before he ever heard of one. How he was five and drew a picture of a horse flying over a rainbow with a spike in its head… He was looking directly at me… and I had to hold a straight face.

I can't explain the feeling of watching the episode live the other night and seeing my name come up on the credits. As Michael Scott would say… it's like seeing your name on a great monument… like the Vietnam Memorial… only you're not dead.

HunterJ8

[111]Feb 29, 2008
    Sorry its kind of bad formatting. I can't quote or spoiler half the things.

HunterJ8

[112]Feb 29, 2008

Because I can: Pretty John Damn that man looks hot in scruff.

"Miss/Guided" is premiering on ABC, March 20th, with a sneak peak on March 18th. For those who don't know, its written by Caroline Williams, who was a writer with TO (she wrote Phyllis's wedding, so that may or may not be a positive thing, considering reviews of that episode)

Cute Rashida on Martha. Seriously, Rashida is pretty awesome. And... um, its a little funny, but there is a bit that seems NSFW.

Edited on 02/29/2008 12:25pm

HunterJ8

[113]Feb 29, 2008
    Taking over the thread. Seriously, sorry its separated in so many posts, but I am trying to get as much in, so I don't get an error message. Because this site hates me:
    Angela talk

Jenna Article Page One>
    Jenna Article Page Two
    Jenna Article Page Three

HunterJ8

[114]Feb 29, 2008

Also posted this in the movie thread:

Little bit with Steve from WonderCon, a bit has been talked about before:

Once the crowd was settled the "Get Smart" portion of the panel began by debuting a hilarious new trailer, showing the talents of the stars plus Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson, Adam Arkin and Terrence Stamp.

Director Peter Segal came out and introduced cast members Anne Hathaway, who plays "99," and Steve Carrel as "Agent 86, Maxwell Smart."

An awkward pause started the panel prompting Segal to tell the audience, "we just thought we would sit here." The Convention Official reminded everyone to stay in their seats if they wanted to take pictures or the Fire Marshall would shut down the event. This sent Steve Carell into action, jokingly kicking at all the photographers at the stage.

The first question was from a male fan declaring love for Carell, which would be an ongoing theme of the day. He then asked if Carell is writing new "The Office" episodes. Carell had just finished two weeks of jury duty and may write about it for next season.

Another recurring theme for this event started with a fan asking for apicture with Carell, which he agreed to just as the crowd began booing thunderously. Carell then chastised the fan for asking such a foolish thing, "They don't want me to take a picture with you!" Then told the guy to catch him after the panel. The crowd applauded.

Carell was asked if he uses the ****c Maxwell Smart voice or his own? Carell feels that Smart was so iconic it was better to try not to impersonate him, though they made a conscious effort to incorporate ****c catchphrases and gags from the show.

When asked when "The Office" would return to NBC, Carell answered that the cast begins shooting again in 2 weeks, prompting Segal to tell everyone he was happy to finally get Carell "out of the editing suite so they could finish the movie."

A misguided fan made the mistake of opining that Carell should have been cast as the Joker in the new Batman film and booing ensued. It went so long that the Con Officials apparently turned off the microphone, shunning him back to his seat.

With order restored, the questions resumed. "What made Steve Carell go into improvisation?" He answered that he, "didn't want to learn lines…at all."

The next questioner thought that a lot of roles Carell played seemed similar and wanted to know if he will ever play a darker character. "Boston Strangler. Look, as long as I get paid, I am fine. Not really trying to find the dramatic side of Steve Carell." Anne Hathaway then reminded everyone that "we all remember the Steve Carell from "Little Miss Sunshine."

Now it was Hathaway's turn as she was finally asked a question. "Finally I don't feel like I am in high school anymore," the actress quipped, until she heard the question, "How is it to work with Steve Carell?" "Now, I feel just like I did in high school. Steve is terrible." Hathaway liked working with Carell and feels he is one of the great comedic minds of our times. Carell jokingly agreed. "He is an honest to god nice person," says Hathaway, but found improvisation was hard for her. "But Peter edited it well," Hathaway concluded.

The next questioner said that Hathaway and Carell were both her favorites. A sad looking Segal asked, "What about me?" She then asked which characters that Hathaway and Carell have played are closest to their real selves. Carell mentioned, "I think 'Becoming Jane.'" Hathaway followed up with that she always felt she was just like a Guest correspondent on "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart." She then admitted she had a new movie coming out that "is closer to the real me."

Hathaway noted that her favorite scene in "Get Smart" wasn't really a scene. The last shot of the movie was shot in Red Square in Moscow, Russia. One of the crew guys bought everyone McDonald's from nearby and that was her favorite moment: Eating McDonalds in Red Square with the cast and crew.

The next question for director Segal got some applause. "How much fun was it working with Steve?" This prompted Segal to reply, "Anne was great! Steve…" Segal actually thought he had the most fun working on movie, even though he knew his answer sounded completely fake. Once Steve was involved everyone wanted to be involved. It created a great environment and they would love to do more if moviegoers like this one.

The panel then discussed the challenges of bringing this movie to the fans of show. Everyone agreed it was a great show so they tried to bring the spirit and catch phrases, to honor the original fans, while bringing the show to a new generation with new elements.

The next fan wanted to know how the 86/99 relationship will work in the film and if Barbara Feldon came to the set. Segal answered,"No Ms. Feldon did not come to set, but the Adams family came many times." Bernie Koppel does have a cameo though. Hathaway grew up loving 99 and especially loved where 99 goes in the movie and it is an homage to the inspiring 99 that she grew up with.

Another fan took a longer route to finally asking for an autograph for a friend in Cairo, prompting a short round of boos.

Segal was then asked about the upcoming production of "Shazam!" Carell quickly answered that they are in pre-production and he is playing Shazam. Segal said the strike stalled it, but it is being worked on by writer John August. Also, he would love for Carell to play Shazam. The crowd seemed to approve of this more than a Carell Joker.

The next question was for the men on stage, "How difficult was it to work with Anne on set?" Carell then gushed about Hathaway's talents until she teared up. "Here is the thing about Anne Hathaway: she is kind and a goofball. She was the only woman on set for months. She was completely in character when the camera started and a great actress on the set."

The panelist were then asked to mention a film that made them want to make films? Hathaway mentioned Rosalind Russell while Segal cited "Young Frankenstein." "Also 'Star Wars,'" which he vividly remembers seeing in a West Los Angeles movie theatre. Hathaway then remembered "Naked Gun 33 1/3" as another movie, prompting applause and laugher from the crowd. Carell finally answered, "Dr Strangelove," which prompted Hathaway to ask why? After a bit of confusion as to why she was asking why, Hathaway then told Carell that people want to understand him. "Expand on your answer! Make it count, Carrel!" After the laughter died down he said that it was a brilliant movie that was, "Chilling, funny, ridiculous and truthful all at once."

The final questions of the panel were what are the differences between film and television and which did Carell prefer? "TV is very quick. The movie took 400 years. (more laughter) More time to work, which is good and bad. Sometimes it would be nice to have time to go back and correct something." Carell heard another question wanting to know what his favorite line is?

"'I ate a big red candle.' That is going to stay with me to the grave. Oh and 'that's what she said,' of course." He then encouraged everyone to work "That's what she said!" into everyday conversation and see how often it works. Hathaway finished by saying she felt like a big jerk for always saying that while they worked on the film. "But it always gets a laugh."

HunterJ8

[115]Feb 29, 2008

I am sure you all know, but Kate writes a tvguide blog:

I would have quoted it, but seriously, tv.com - hates me

And I approve of her thoughts on Presidental Candidates. Dammit, now I wish I can remember, but I am also pretty sure GD gave some money to Obama's camp. Oh well. I don't think I should really mix politics and TO

Edited on 02/29/2008 12:29pm

gosoxjavajunkie

[116]Feb 29, 2008
    • level: 12
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    John is back in NYC, and will probably be there for SNL. Which that may just be for me. Also, I know that apparently, guys won't say no to marriage proposals on Feb 29th. So, anyone in NYC want to take a chance? But really, unless you are as interested in stalking the boy as I am, I don't think anyone else really cares. However, I do.
    (Note to self:
    Step one: Admit you have a problem. "Hi, I'm Hunter, and I am addicted to John Krasinski"
    Step two: Indulge it. Track his every move
    Step three: Be embarrassed if you ever get the chance to meet the boy)

And I do have more John stuff, but really, its just me oogling him, and gushing over how awesome he is, so I won't share all of that. But John is pretty awesome.

haha i think i may suffer from the same addiction lol i love john

HunterJ8

[117]Feb 29, 2008
    I just wanna be BFF's with them!

HunterJ8

[118]Mar 1, 2008
    Jenna will apparently be on the cover of Vanity Fair, and ET is doing a behind the photoshoot thing.

HunterJ8

[119]Mar 2, 2008
    Cute picture of Melora and her daughters 2 year old Piper, 6 year old Rory. At the "Cindy and the Disco Ball" premiere.

bballmegan22

[120]Mar 2, 2008
    • level: 30
    HunterJ8 wrote:
    Cute picture of Melora and her daughters 2 year old Piper, 6 year old Rory. At the "Cindy and the Disco Ball" premiere.

Aww they are too cute!