The Office Forums

NBC (ended 2013)

Okay, I can't believe I'm going to ask this...

NakedCropBandit

[1]Mar 23, 2010
    • level: 7

Should season 7 be the last? The last I heard, season 7 was the last season that Steve is contracted for. Most of the cast is contracted up to season 8. Now unless Steve plans to extend his contract, I think that 7 should be the last. What show has been as good as the golden days after the main character left? None, that's what.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jekyll

[2]Mar 24, 2010
    • level: 86

That's assuming Steve Carell doesn't want to extend his contract; his movie career hasn't exactly been filled with hits. Now if you want to say it should end because anymore it seems more episodes are crap than funny, that's a different beast altogether.

Mindcrime07

[3]Mar 25, 2010
    • level: 4

This show would definitely "Jump the Shark" if Steve Carell does leave. I couldn't imagine it going on for more than 2 more seasons without him, despite the rest of the cast being strong enough to support the show's quality on their own. This show would be better off with one of the current members taking over Michael's position instead of adding a new replacement character, which is always certain death for any quality show.

kickdoor

[4]Mar 27, 2010
    • level: 14

I doubt with the way things are going for NBC they would be willing to end the show early even if Carell did leave. They are going to cling to The Office for as long as they can and squeeze out every drop of revenue. But if he does leave, I say move the show to another branch(Did Sabre buy all the branches or just Scranton?) and bring along some of the current cast.

Edited on 03/27/2010 10:17am

Chaos_Zombie

[5]Mar 30, 2010
    • level: 10

NBC is in a tough spot on that because they haven't been using The Office's lead in properly to set up a replacement show. 30 Rock definitely isn't it and its already losing viewers. I think they'd be wise to set up Community since it did very well out of The Office's leadin, is a fresh show and has been funnier than The Office has been the past few years. Instead they are wasting it on 30 Rock. They need to plan an exit strategy before The Office can leave and maybe they'll do that next season with all the comedy pilots they ordered.

As for Steve, I thought it was contracted through Season 8 but I could be wrong. I honestly think this season has been a lot funnier than Season 5 but it has definitely lost a lot of its charm (thanks to Pam turning evil and Jim losing his sense of humor). Still, some of these episodes have made me laugh much more than last season and Dwight seems to be getting back to his old self. I'd be fine with it going on another 2 years if necessary so long as it doesn't fall off again.

Doggo1988

[6]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 8
    Are you claiming that The Office is better than 30 Rock?

TeamRamRod1

[7]Apr 6, 2010
    • level: 5
    If you don't like 30 Rock then you don't have any sense of humor.

Mlebaron

[8]Apr 19, 2010
    • level: 11
    If Carell is contracted for only one more season and everyone else is contracted through season 8, I could see them renewing Carell for one final year for the series, then ending it. Still, you have to believe that adding a year to Carell's contract means a hefty price-tag bump for a series that has been a reasonably solid hit, but that has probably seen its best days. Contractual obligations aside. I vote for ending it at 7 seasons. There are very few shows that can keep up the quality for more than 7 seasons without revamping the cast. This is especially true for shows that have some serialized aspect, like The Office. Sure, the episodes can stand alone, but the cast dynamic is so important to continuing storylines that losing one or more of the core group would certainly hurt the series.

That said, I suppose I wouldn't mind seeing an 8th season, but much of that would depend on the quality of season 7.

I think Community is the best new comedy show of the season and could actually serve as the anchor for NBC's comedy block in 2 years, if not already next year.

NakedCropBandit

[9]Apr 24, 2010
    • level: 7
    This is recent, but Steve said in an interview that season 7 will probably be his last. People speculated, but now we have an answer straight from him. He didn't say that he was sure, but this is the first we've heard on the matter from him.

Now I think it's even more important that season 7 be the last if it will probably be Steve's last.

esoteric_dreams

[10]Apr 25, 2010
    • level: 1
    Doggo1988 wrote:
    Are you claiming that The Office is better than 30 Rock?

Most definitely. I still believe 30 Rock is a brilliant show, but it certainly lacks the consistency that the office has. And I agree with Mlebaron in that cast dynamic is very important. In this aspect the writer's have shot themselves in the foot because they've somehow engineered such an eclectic group of people to mould so well together that despite Steve being a main character, losing any character would have a severe detraction from the show. I agree with Mindcrime07 in that in order to replace Michael in the management role, to introduce an entirely new character would be suicide. But I don't agree with Kickdoor as far as moving the cast to a new branch, we all saw what happened when Jim moved to another office. Whilst they got away with it that time, and managed to bring in a new character, to try the same feat again is a blade through the chest, without the honour. I love the office, and I would hate to see it end prematurely over something like this, but I would still not like to see it deteriorate before it chucked the towel in.
    Just thinking out loud but as a solution, I might suggest an existing, but perhaps forgotten character, come back in. Such as Dave Wallace, complete with his new found apathy, but completely corruptible by Jim and Dwight? In saying that, it's hard to see that any attempt to replace Steve as anything but a clutch at straws that can be successful for an absolute maximum of 2 seasons (being generous).

kickdoor

[11]Apr 25, 2010
    • level: 14

esoteric_dreams wrote:
    we all saw what happened when Jim moved to another office.

Yeah, we got some of the best episodes The Office has ever done. Plus it would be much different this time around if they did it, it would be a number of the Scranton employees and the new characters would have a bigger role than the Stamford branch employees did.

Though let me just say, I would prefer it end all together before they consider moving or doing anything else really. Because honestly,

esoteric_dreams wrote:
    I would still not like to see it deteriorate before it chucked the towel in.

I think that ship has sailed.

MattDuff

[12]May 21, 2010
    • level: 15
    Seventh season should be the last. But-- believe it or not-- I think a spin-off show might work. I feel like Jim and Pam's story is complete and their story is done with. But Dwight could be a show in itself. I also really like Andy and Erin, and I also really like Kevin and Creed. Just an idea-- but we'll see what happens.

mankinduk

[13]May 23, 2010
    • level: 2
    I mean the possibilities are limitless but I think quite a fitting (and perhaps emotional) end to the Office would be the closing of Dunder Mifflin. It's been hinted to have been in trouble almost right from the start and although the Scranton branch has (somehow!) done okay, we know the whole company was in serious trouble up until Sabre took them on. It's sort of been a running theme...where they work is dying and it wouldn't be too difficult to concoct a story where Sabre decide to close all the old DM branches (or even Sabre themselves get into trouble). Would be a nice clean end.

It would also make the reunion episode in 10 years a lot fun.

sh811a

[14]Jun 1, 2010
    • level: 28

I think it should be because personally I'm not sure where else the show can really go anymore and also I don't want them to ruin a good thing. Season 6 I thought was ok, but compared to certain past seasons this season I felt had to be their weakest link. I don't know why but I feel the spark is gone, I'm really not sure why but I felt something was seriously missing, I think part of it's problem was there wasn't much energy, some storylines were a little uninspired, and the characters I thought at times were a little mishandled which is why they seemed a little out of character sometimes.

If season 7 is going to be their last they better go down strong. Some also say their a possibility for a spin off on one of the characters, I wouldn't mind personally I think it's possible to me mainly for Andy and Dwight whom are strong characters and personal favs of mine. I really think they have the qualifications to be promoted for lead role.

Smallville944

[15]Jun 29, 2010
    • level: 6
    Michael Scott's character better get a happy ending and i want his character to go out with a Bang i also heard Jan's Coming back as a guest star in season 7