The Office Forums

NBC (ended 2013)

Season 9 is a go, but...

jekyll

[1]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 86

It seems season 9 is pretty much guaranteed to happen. But it comes with a lot of "howevers"...

- Mindy Kaling's FOX pilot is highly touted, so she's likely gone, triply as a writer, producer, and Kelly.

- Paul Lieberstein is leaving to work on the Schrute Farms spin-off, which isn't officialy announced, but NBC is "quietly confirming". Don't know if he'll still be able to do occassional Toby appearances.

- Both Ed Helms and John Krasinki, if they come back at all, will both take time off for movies.

I smella lot of Cousin Olivers headed our way since NBC just refuses to put the show out of its misery.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mrjimmyjames

[3]Mar 23, 2012
    • level: 7

Toby and Kelly really aren't much of a loss, however Paul and Mindy the writer/producers are. I would assume this will mean that B.J. will take up more of the behind the scenes responsibilities. Not to mention the fact that the head writer (I believe his name is Daniel Chun) has inked a deal with ABC, so he's up in the air. Drastic shakeup behind the scenes.

I'm not suprised that season 9 will probably be the last for Krasinski and Helms; however I am suprised that suddenly they need time off from the show to make movies. Hmmm... That never seemed to be an obstacle before. I remember hearing that one of the reasons Steve stayed as long as he did is because they moved shooting the show to weekends in season 3, thus allowing him to keep making films so often. That seemed to be the starting point for other cast members appearing in films too. One of the reasons I thought the show was in good shape to withstand the loss of Steve was because it had such a strong, large cast. It had all of the main supporting characters (Jim, Dwight, Andy, Pam, probably Daryl) still on it and I feel as if they've done a great job stepping up to fill the void. But, if by the end of season 9 Jim, Dwight, and Andy have left, the show will definetely have caved in on itself. They better not leave for more than three episodes next season (yikes).

Can't help but notice that Jenna Fischer's status was not mentioned anywhere today. My prediction so far has been that at least by the end of the season Catherine Tate will permanently becomemanager and I guess if all of these people leave next year and it somehow continues past that year it will completely become the Catherine Tate show.

I kind of figured that the tentative plan for the show by the producers has been to take it to season nine; I've seen interviews with B.J. and Paul shrugging and hinting that it could end then. I think the reason for the spinoff is because they are tentatively treating The Office like it will probably end then and want to have their own "Frasier" in place to replace the show. Midseason seems like an odd way to do that but whatever. I got to admit its bold to name your show "The Farm" and base it on one; there's nothing like that on tv. Although like everyone else I'm skeptical about the premise, I do have to give them credit for going out there and trying something new that you never see on tv.

Edited on 03/22/2012 11:33pm

jekyll

[4]Mar 24, 2012

If they need a season nine, they should showcase the background players more. Have a Phyliss episode, a Meredith episode, an Oscar episode.

mrjimmyjames

[5]Mar 24, 2012

Well, that's an interesting idea. The show probably has the deepest bench in sitcom history, but I just don't know that I could see an entire episode working about Phyllis or Oscar. An entire episode about Meredith, now that's a horrifying thought and some things are best left unseen.

Edited on 03/24/2012 7:04pm

jekyll

[6]Mar 25, 2012

I guess I mean at least give them a heavy part in the A-plot in the most part. I mean has Meredith had more than one line in an episode this season? She's been nearly invisible. Give Ryan another crazy idea, havean out-there day-in-the-life of Creed episode, give Oscar the chance to be more than just two lines as either homosexual viewpoint or voice of sanity.

mrjimmyjames

[7]May 16, 2012

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/13/nbc-fall-schedule/

Well, it's official. The shows been renewed for another 22 episodes. It turns out that pretty much everyone will be coming back (other than those behind the scenes like Toby and Kelly). And according to NBC the show will probably a couple of new people too.

I still haven't heard if they've made a deal with BJ (Ryan) yet, which is interesting considering the two other major people behind the scenes (mentioned above) are gone. I'd like to see if BJ ends up taking over completely as showrunner or maybe even leaves the show completely.

Edited on 05/16/2012 12:40am

jekyll

[8]Jul 18, 2012

I think B.J.'s a producer on Mindy's new show, too, now.

crenshawdk

[9]Jul 26, 2012
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

Well, that's an interesting idea. The show probably has the deepest bench in sitcom history, but I just don't know that I could see an entire episode working about Phyllis or Oscar. An entire episode about Meredith, now that's a horrifying thought and some things are best left unseen.

If Meredith got her own show then I'd definitely watch. She is one of the funniest and most colorful of the bunch, and if you make Creed her creepy next door neighbor then you've got a hit! Meredith has a sense of realism to her that's just funny, like someone you know, and Creed is just a funny character.

I for one loved the 8th season, perhaps even more so than when Steve were on. Mainly because I think he takes up too much of the show, and now that he is gone the other characters shine more and since they're every bit as hilarious as Steve then that's why the show survives and thank god for that. Keep 'em coming!

Jim856796

[10]Aug 21, 2012
    • level: 14
    Now it is official: The upcoming Season 9 of The Office will be its last.

mrjimmyjames

[11]Sep 10, 2012

crenshawdk wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

I for one loved the 8th season, perhaps even more so than when Steve were on. Mainly because I think he takes up too much of the show, and now that he is gone the other characters shine more and since they're every bit as hilarious as Steve then that's why the show survives and thank god for that. Keep 'em coming!

Yeah, I largely felt the same way. At first it seemed like a bad idea to go on without Steve but I ended up realizing that the show was full of so many great characters had such a deep benchit worked. After all they still have solid characters like Dwight, Jim, and Andy to center around. As far as I'm concerned they could have not replaced anyone at manager and I would have been fine with it. Unfortunately I seem to be one of the few who think so and considering how much I liked the show last year, it suprises me so much to see the over the top negative reaction the season got.

Edited on 09/10/2012 6:45pm

JackWilder

[12]Sep 18, 2012
    • level: 1

I've been a fan of the show since the start, but the last season wasn't the best in my opinion. I'm really excited for Season 9 though. Check out this funny video. You'll appreciate it if you're an Office fan!

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/geeking-out-on-the-offices-final-season/5gx3wh1?from=us-Entertainment